X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acehole
    • Jan 2006

What I can't wrap my brain around...

If lt was such a priority why the low offer to Bell?

Why is everyone clamoring for bell replacement when the bills didn't see it that way?

Why is everybody fevered to spend a # 1 pick to replace a guy we got in the 7th?

There are no elite tackles at ten...then....

Plan a. would be trade up for the stud?

We have extra pick from trades, it is possible.
    But with the depth in this draft I would think
    They would want more picks then less.

Plan b. Don't pick a ot.

If not an ol the what position?

The draft is deep with #2 wr possesion types...so floyd doesnt seem like a "must have"
    Pick.

So where does that leave us?

We need cb ot olb qb (back up/groom) from this drat.

If we finish boosting the front 7 the need for cb drops a bit.

There are no qb's worth the tenth pick.

10 to high for the OT that are there.

So the logical pick would be Melvin Ingram o l b.

Or a trade down.

So to recap: trade up get starting lt for the next 6 years.

Stay at ten and get another pass rusher and end Tom bradys career.

Trade down and get more pick...and get a Corey glen or Luke LB.
    Last edited by acehole; 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM.
    Hated by the stupid..
    Loved by their moms.

• Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: What I can't wrap my brain around...

I agree with you. I think all the LT stuff is a smokescreen. But we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

I think the Bills have their eyes on OT players they are sure will be there for them later.

The closer we get to the draft the more I think OT is not happening at #10.

But I do not think the Bills low balled Bell at all... But they weren't committing 5 years $35 million to him either. Bell was just patient and the unthinkable happened and he was over paid by a desperate team..

There are some very intriguing players that are comparable or even better then Hairston on paper that should be there in rds 2 or later.. but I would never complain about OL help/improvement at any point in this draft or any draft.

We need LB's for our 4-3, CB and WR like you mentioned, you don't draft a backup groom-able QB at #10 IMO ..... Trading back in this draft appears to be where the best value is for us... BUT that's a very tough call and dependent on who falls
      Last edited by ddaryl; 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

OP: Vers libre is alive and well.
        Last edited by stuckincincy; 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by acehole
          If lt was such a priority why the low offer to bell?
          Because Bell has trouble staying on the field. He has talent but is hurt a lot. Some have attributed it to poor work out habits. It's tough to pay a guy who is supposed to be your blind side protector if he is hardly ever there to do the job he is being paid for.

The Bills had a contingency plan already in place in the event that Bell was not resigned. We will see it revealed during or shortly after the draft. You can expect them to either draft a replacement, sign a free agent, or trade for a LT shortly after the draft. They are still something like 9 million under the cap.

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

What?

How is a 3-4 OLB the logical pick?

The team runs a 4-3 defense and needs 4-3 OLBs, not the opposite.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

If we pick Reiff or Martin (or any other player for that matter) at ten and they solidify a starting spot with the potential to excel than they most certainly are worth the #10 pick.

I don't really give a damn where anybody has these guys ranked right now and whether or not selecting them will be a 'value' or 'reach' but whoever they take better play like one of the top ten players in this draft class.

It appears to 'us' we need an OT because Hairston is a sophomore unproven commodity, Pears is still learning, and there is no depth on the current roster. We won't know really what the front office thinks until after the draft and free agency. We need CB's (badly) because we only have six on the roster...one nobody can probably name without looking it up and five more with legit question marks for a variety of reasons. We need WR because, well, even though we currently have 10 signed that position is in a similar boat as the CB's (health, skill, "potential" issues).

I wouldn't take a QB at #10 because there are going to be players available that will probably contribute at other positions at a higher level of competence and quicker. LBers are an enigma because we probably will keep very few in favor of d-linemen, but nobody we currently have can exactly be labeled a stud.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cali512
                • Jan 2012

Didnt he get a 5 year 35 mill deal? Really? For a OT that we would be trying to replace anyways? Bell here wouldve gotten a 2 year, 10 million contract. Hes deserved a contract extention as much as Merriman has
                Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Jeff1220
                  H to the 12:20
                  • Jul 2002

I think they like Hairston to start at OT, and will go BPA in rnd 1. But they probably will address OT depth at some point in the draft.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

I'll bet anyone that they offered Bell an incentive-laden deal, hence the reason he never countered and decided to test the market. I doubt he got much better from other teams, except for the Eagles, who had a glaring need at LT, so he took it.

Comment

• Cali512
                      • Jan 2012

If Hairston becomes our RT, than if we get a rookie LT, we have a whole line 26 yrs an younger
                      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Here are two scouting reports for Chris Hairston:
                        From http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2597
                        Chris Hairston was not a very highly regarded recruit coming out of high school, but with a 6-7 frame to fill in, it was quite apparent that he could develop into a fine collegiate blocker. However, Hairston has become more than just a good offensive tackle at the college level; he could work his way into the top three rounds of the NFL Draft. Even by the end of his freshman campaign Hairston was making an impact. He played a lot during the Chick-fil-A Bowl and was starting to emerge as a solid tackle. Hairston stepped into a starting role as a sophomore, but really came on strong during his junior campaign.

For his efforts in 2009, Hairston was named to the second-team All-ACC squad and, heading into 2010, he was ready to take over for the departed Thomas Austin as the leader of the offensive line. Yet, there were some questions about whether or not this unheralded lineman was ready to emerge as a leader of the unit. Hairston answered those questions during his senior season and helped pave the way for the dynamic rushing duo of Jamie Harper and Andre Ellington.

Hairston is a very smart player. He may not be the most physically dominating offensive lineman in this class, but he rarely makes mental mistakes. Hairston has the strength to be a solid right tackle in the NFL, but teams will have to take a close look at his footwork before they use a second or third round selection on him.
                        and from

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Hairston possesses NFL ideal height for the offensive tackle position. Has great bulk and uses size and strength to his advantage while run blocking and in pass pro. Smart player who understands scheme concepts and his assignments. Not susceptible to the bull rush. Does a good job getting his hat in position when run blocking.
                        Weaknesses
                        Not a premier athlete or overly comfortable blocking out in space. Can be beat by a quick, inside pass rushing move. Doesn't consistently fight off counter moves. Needs to watch his pad level in the running game. Has missed some time due to injuries over the course of his college career. Grade 55

By comparison here are some on Reiff and Martin respectively
                        Analysis and predictions for 2012 NFL draft prospect, OT Riley Reiff of Iowa

Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
                        In addition to having a great name, Riley Reiff is one of the top tier offensive line prospects likely to enter the 2012 NFL Draft. Reiff is 23 years old, which hurts his draft stock a little bit, but it isn't a big concern. Like many other Big 10 prospects that have come before him, Reiff really excels at run blocking and bringing an intense, ferocious attitude each and every snap.

Reiff has to prove from now until the draft that he can be a left tackle. There are concerns about his footwork and lateral quickness. If teams feel he can only play on the right, he'll fall rapidly down draft boards.

In his defense, he's still developing and has room to grow and add more muscle. Coaches will need to continue to develop his mechanics when moving in space, but he makes up for it with good use of hands. He can get under a defender and really neutralize them instantly. He really does a good job of staying after guys and getting in their head because of his relentless style of play. A big problem scouts may have is whether or not he can be a zone blocker. This is just one of those things where people need to see more tape before making a decision on that. A lot of teams use a lot of zone blocking on run plays, so struggling with that would be a big problem.
                        Analysis and predictions for 2012 NFL draft prospect, OT Jonathan Martin of Stanford

[.quote]
                        Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
                        Andrew Luck isn't the only Stanford prospect with first round potential.

Martin's strengths revolve around his high football IQ, quickness and ability to move well in open space. He displays an elite talent for run blocking. Using a low pad level, he moves defenders to create running room. He can quickly get to the second level and has sufficient speed to pull.

As a pass protector, there is room for improvement. Sometimes relies too much on quickness to get him into position. His footwork will need to be cleaned up. Bull rushers can catch him off-balance and he will have to do a better job of keeping his balance. Improving his knee-bend while absorbing contact could immediately improve how he takes on power moves. His athleticism, and the upside that comes from it, should benefit him in the NFL as teams will feel they can improve his few technical deficiencies.

Martin has slid down draft boards due to concerns about his size and bulk. He's not particularly physical and would likely be defined as a finesse blocker. That's a label some offensive line coaches will shy away from. Martin will need to exhibit a more physical, heavy-handed approach leading up to the draft and show he's not afraid to get nasty in the trenches.
                        and

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Reiff is an impressive tackle prospect. He started every game in his career and was very durable considering how heavily Iowa relied on its run game. He is a smart player who should be able to adapt to NFL speed and playbooks with ease. Given that he plays at a position with such value, it's unlikely that Reiff will last past the first round.
                        Analysis
                        Strengths
                        Reiff is a big body who rolls his hips into his man to tap into his power and explosion. In pass protection he keeps his weight even to have a good anchor and stall bull rushers. Riley has incredible body control and is a true technician working within the box. He uses his hands well, and has the flexibility to play on both sides of the line given his fluid footwork.
                        Weaknesses
                        Reiff is not the strongest prospect at the position, as he is more of a catch blocker in pass protection and won't have the ability to decleat any ends in the NFL. If any type of foe will give him issues at the next level, it could be heavy 3-4 defensive ends who could blow him back. Grade 86

Overview

Martin is one of two tackle prospects in this year's class who could be called elite, and given the value of the position will be a likely first-round pick because of it. He embodied all that Stanford football was throughout his time there, as he is an aggressive, smart, technically sound prospect who will enter the league at a stage in his development where he should be able to contribute immediately.
                        Analysis
                        Strengths
                        Martin has prototypical skills for the position. He missed just two games in his career and is extremely tough. He carries his weight well and is one of the most technically sound prospects in the draft. He has a smooth, efficient pass set that allows him to get a solid base and work from a balanced state. He is powerful and aggressive against the run and has good footwork for his size. Martin was the anchor of a very polished offensive line and is simply an NFL-ready tackle.
                        Weaknesses
                        Martin has a tendency to pop upright on contact and get slightly off balance, usually when slanting in the run game. He isn't a real powerful or violent puncher, and at times his punches will slow his feet and he can get caught off guard. He isn't a quick-twitched mover off the snap and could have some issues against the league's best speed rushers. Grade 87
                        It's easy to see Martin and Riley grade out better than Hairston in the position that is argued the most important position on the field for the offensive side of the ball. Why risk Fitz's and everyone elses health by keeping Hairston? As I understand people want to improve WR first but let's face it that WR is going to be at best a second option to Stevie Johnson and 3rd or 4th behind Fred Jackson.Spiller and arguable Scott Chandler. So is a 1st Round talent really needed at that position? I say no and why been harping take a LT first and WR later.
                        Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                          Here are two scouting reports for Chris Hairston:

and from

By comparison here are some on Reiff and Martin respectively

and

It's easy to see Martin and Riley grade out better than Hairston in the position that is argued the most important position on the field for the offensive side of the ball. Why risk Fitz's and everyone elses health by keeping Hairston? As I understand people want to improve WR first but let's face it that WR is going to be at best a second option to Stevie Johnson and 3rd or 4th behind Fred Jackson.Spiller and arguable Scott Chandler. So is a 1st Round talent really needed at that position? I say no and why been harping take a LT first and WR later.
                          Draft opinions are just that: opinions. Neither Martin nor Reiff are concensus LT's, much less worth #10 overall. According to PFF's OL rankings, despite no off-season, getting the playbook in training camp, missing half of camp and pre-season with an injury, and not getting starting reps until midway through the season, Hairston ranked 23rd for LT's. And that takes into account him being rushed back to the starting lineup after suffering a high ankle sprain (which take months to heal).

Comment

• acehole
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by stuckincincy
                            OP: Vers libre is alive and well.

That was pre coffee...sorry about typos.
                            Hated by the stupid..
                            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• acehole
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JCBills
                              What?

How is a 3-4 OLB the logical pick?

The team runs a 4-3 defense and needs 4-3 OLBs, not the opposite.

HE can play 4-3 3-4...anywhere you put him he will fit.
                              Hated by the stupid..
                              Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                              X