PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Rankings Update (785 Players Ranked)

DraftBoy
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/04/offensive-positional-rankings-updated/

Offensive Update for Monday, Defense comes Tuesday, 750 Deep Big Board on Wednesday, Small School Top 100 and Positional Rankings on Thursday.

Some of you will be interested to see the new OT rankings...:biggrin:

jamze132
04-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Need a legitimate LT, not a conversion.

YardRat
04-09-2012, 05:36 AM
"his tape is much better than we initially graded it."

Red flag, although I like Massie in the second or third.

DraftBoy
04-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Need a legitimate LT, not a conversion.

He's not a conversion though...Two year LT in JUCO, and four year HS LT.

DraftBoy
04-09-2012, 07:19 AM
"his tape is much better than we initially graded it."

Red flag, although I like Massie in the second or third.

Did you watch the clip of him v. Mingo?

YardRat
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Did you watch the clip of him v. Mingo?

Yes, but that's irrelevant re: my comment.

BTW, have you considered tracking your rankings against how the players actually come off the board and comparing the results to others that provide the same service? Might be a handy marketing tool if you end up with favorable results, or some insight as to what you might do differently in the future if the results aren't so favorable.

DraftBoy
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, but that's irrelevant re: my comment.

BTW, have you considered tracking your rankings against how the players actually come off the board and comparing the results to others that provide the same service? Might be a handy marketing tool if you end up with favorable results, or some insight as to what you might do differently in the future if the results aren't so favorable.

Yes but I dont understand your comment. If you think further review is a bad thing (i.e. red flag) than you're asking for people to be right without checking themselves. From as early I can remeber we are always taught to double check and scruitinize ourselves. Hence my point on Massie.

I have, the trouble is it's a five year curve. I will start now since this site is my own but any results will take at least 5 years to flesh out, its an unfortunately long period of time. I'd be far more interested to see what I got wrong than right truth be told. You don't learn much from being right.

YardRat
04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes but I dont understand your comment. If you think further review is a bad thing (i.e. red flag) than you're asking for people to be right without checking themselves. From as early I can remeber we are always taught to double check and scruitinize ourselves. Hence my point on Massie.

Don't take this as a shot at you or anybody you work with, because it's not, but the reason I called 'red flag' is because IMO if somebody states something similar to "his tape is much better than we initially graded it" my impression is that the person/s doing the grading either...

A) Don't know what they're doing to begin with.
B) Never really looked at 'the tape' the first time and are justifying the change in status.
C) Scrutinized 'the tape' the second time (or third) with bias, looking for reasons to justify moving them up.

I have, the trouble is it's a five year curve. I will start now since this site is my own but any results will take at least 5 years to flesh out, its an unfortunately long period of time. I'd be far more interested to see what I got wrong than right truth be told. You don't learn much from being right.

I was speaking relative to how they actually come off the board, not how their career ends up. That would be able to be analyzed immediately after the draft to see how your rankings compare to the actual front offices in the league. What happens five years in the future is immaterial if your looking to promote how closely your boards resemble the real ones.

stuckincincy
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/04/offensive-positional-rankings-updated/

Offensive Update for Monday, Defense comes Tuesday, 750 Deep Big Board on Wednesday, Small School Top 100 and Positional Rankings on Thursday.

Some of you will be interested to see the new OT rankings...:biggrin:

DB - link to TE Allen's report brings up that for Charles.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012-nfl-draft-rankings-te/

DraftBoy
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
DB - link to TE Allen's report brings up that for Charles.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012-nfl-draft-rankings-te/

Should be fixed along with the Kendall Wright report linking to Alshon Jeffrey.

DraftBoy
04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Don't take this as a shot at you or anybody you work with, because it's not, but the reason I called 'red flag' is because IMO if somebody states something similar to "his tape is much better than we initially graded it" my impression is that the person/s doing the grading either...

A) Don't know what they're doing to begin with.
B) Never really looked at 'the tape' the first time and are justifying the change in status.
C) Scrutinized 'the tape' the second time (or third) with bias, looking for reasons to justify moving them up.

I was speaking relative to how they actually come off the board, not how their career ends up. That would be able to be analyzed immediately after the draft to see how your rankings compare to the actual front offices in the league. What happens five years in the future is immaterial if your looking to promote how closely your boards resemble the real ones.

No shot taken and I completely understand the mentality and can't blame you one bit for feeling that way. One way I try and show you that I am actually going back and checking myself is by providing reference material either through notes Ive posted or linking to games I've watched. I understand it proves absolutely nothing in terms or whether its a first view of a guy as compared to a third or fourth view.

Ah, I see and my rankings are designed to not match how players come off the board. There are basically two schools to scouting, one is prediction and one is projection. For the most part most analysts/sites try and do both. They predict where the top guys are going to land (rd 1) and then scour the lower rounds to try and find a handful guys who they think will project well.

The school of thought in terms of predicting is how the novely of mock drafts were born. Also why I always say I only make one mock draft a year for accuracy and I submit to the Huddle Report contest annually. Last year was my first year I finished T-24th out of 120, beating well known guys like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

That's a fun game to play and this year Ill also be entering our Pick-A-Day Mock along with my Top 100 for another contest they run. These enteries are my only attempts at predicting anything outside of who the Bills will pick at each selection.

All my rankings are designed to be based on projection because in the end who really cares if you had Jamarcus Russel going #1 if he still sucked in the end? I want to be right in 5 years not right just on one weekend. Its a personal preference and its not a popular one either.

That went a lot longer than I wanted it to, sorry about that.

YardRat
04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
All my rankings are designed to be based on projection because in the end who really cares if you had Jamarcus Russel going #1 if he still sucked in the end? I want to be right in 5 years not right just on one weekend. Its a personal preference and its not a popular one either.

I guess I was coming from a perspective of establishing credibility for your site, based on the rankings vs how they actually come off the board. It would be a nice flag to wave to be able to say 'Look, our rankings are closer to NFL front offices than the other guys, and this proves it, so you should be coming to us for your draft info."

I can understand your perspective also, if you're trying to establish that you can forecast long-term success better than other sites or even NFL FO's, and you're right that would take much longer to establish, but it would also lend itself to some subjectivity vs hard facts and statistics.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 05:16 AM
He's not a conversion though...Two year LT in JUCO, and four year HS LT.
Still doesn't change the fact that he grades out better as a RT than a LT in the NFL. I can't see spending a top 10 pick on a guy who is better suited to play elsewhere, especially on our roster where RT isn't really a need at this point.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Still doesn't change the fact that he grades out better as a RT than a LT in the NFL. I can't see spending a top 10 pick on a guy who is better suited to play elsewhere, especially on our roster where RT isn't really a need at this point.

Not necessairly. Many of the reports on him are starting to change and people are starting to question why Nutt kept him on the right side despite Sowell struggles and Massie's success. Talked to two Ole Miss beat writers this past weekend and both concurred that Massie was their best OL and that he should of been the LT over Sowell. They have no questions about his ability to man the left side.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
I guess I was coming from a perspective of establishing credibility for your site, based on the rankings vs how they actually come off the board. It would be a nice flag to wave to be able to say 'Look, our rankings are closer to NFL front offices than the other guys, and this proves it, so you should be coming to us for your draft info."

I can understand your perspective also, if you're trying to establish that you can forecast long-term success better than other sites or even NFL FO's, and you're right that would take much longer to establish, but it would also lend itself to some subjectivity vs hard facts and statistics.

Yea the hope is that by competing in the HR contests annually, scoring well, and then producing good inseason products the credibility will build slowly. Then after about 5 years being able to go back and say, this is what I've done, this is how its turned out I can either see Ive been better than average or that Ive been below average and see how I can tweak or fix it.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Defensive Rankings drop at lunch time, Big Board tomorrow.

ThunderGun
04-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Great job, thanks.

Do you think Mike Adams will be there for us in the 2nd? I don't love any of the OT's at 10 (aside from Kalil, obviously). I'd love to go Floyd/Adams.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Great job, thanks.

Do you think Mike Adams will be there for us in the 2nd? I don't love any of the OT's at 10 (aside from Kalil, obviously). I'd love to go Floyd/Adams.
Yes I do.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Not necessairly. Many of the reports on him are starting to change and people are starting to question why Nutt kept him on the right side despite Sowell struggles and Massie's success. Talked to two Ole Miss beat writers this past weekend and both concurred that Massie was their best OL and that he should of been the LT over Sowell. They have no questions about his ability to man the left side.
My spider-sense tells me otherwise.

Always go with your initial gut feeling. My gut feeling was that Reiff will not be a bookend LT.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Defensive Rankings Updated!

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/04/defensive-positional-rankings-updated/

ThunderGun
04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Defensive Rankings Updated!

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/04/defensive-positional-rankings-updated/

FYI: When you click on Janoris Jenkins, to pull up his scouting report, it actually brings up Casey Hayward's.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 05:38 PM
FYI: When you click on Janoris Jenkins, to pull up his scouting report, it actually brings up Casey Hayward's.

Fixed, sorry about that.