PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 the teams want out of the top 10 of the draft

Skooby
04-09-2012, 06:53 PM
According to a NFL Exec:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18425809/nfl-exec-half-of-the-teams-in-the-top-10-are-trying-to-trade-out

gonzo1105
04-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I actually believe that this could end up benefitting Buffalo. I know your probably like Gonzo why would it benefit our team when a team could easily trade up to 7,8, or 9. Well pick 10 is really where the area starts get really murky. If a team falls in love with a certain player that they feel might get drafted at 11. For instance Kansas City, at pick 11, has been associated with Luke Kuechly, Dontari Poe, and David DeCastro. If someone absolutely loves one of these 3 players who are they more likely to trade with? Why would teams in the mid teens such as Dallas, who loves Poe and DeCastro from reports, trade from pick 14 to pick 7 to get one of these guys? If you know picks 7,8,9, and 10 all want to trade your more likely to trade with the team at pick 10 because you most likely know one of those players is going to be there and it will cost you less. I could easily see Buffalo and Dallas making a draft day trade so Dallas can jump Kansas City for Poe.

acehole
04-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I actually believe that this could end up benefitting Buffalo. I know your probably like Gonzo why would it benefit our team when a team could easily trade up to 7,8, or 9. Well pick 10 is really where the area starts get really murky. If a team falls in love with a certain player that they feel might get drafted at 11. For instance Kansas City, at pick 11, has been associated with Luke Kuechly, Dontari Poe, and David DeCastro. If someone absolutely loves one of these 3 players who are they more likely to trade with? Why would teams in the mid teens such as Dallas, who loves Poe and DeCastro from reports, trade from pick 14 to pick 7 to get one of these guys? If you know picks 7,8,9, and 10 all want to trade your more likely to trade with the team at pick 10 because you most likely know one of those players is going to be there and it will cost you less. I could easily see Buffalo and Dallas making a draft day trade so Dallas can jump Kansas City for Poe.

Or Castro problem is they are rumored to move down

Night Train
04-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Strange. The big $$ rookie deals vanished last year and it's no longer a financial drag on anyone. Must be the need for extra picks.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Strange. The big $$ rookie deals vanished last year and it's no longer a financial drag on anyone. Must be the need for extra picks.
Extra picks are always nice when you have what someone esle wants.

I am still praying for a trade down.

PromoTheRobot
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Ha ha, everyone knows all you have to do is call a team, give them the value for that pick, and they have to give it to you. It's automatic. NFL GMs are so dumb sometimes.

PTR

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Makes sense. This draft is weak at the top.

Luck, RGIII, Kalil, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne are the only lock picks.

EDS
04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Makes sense. This draft is weak at the top.

Luck, RGIII, Kalil, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne are the only lock picks.

Agree with Mahdi. After the first 5 or so picks the elite talent is gone and there is little differentiation between the players available at pick 8 versus pick 16.

Look at the situation the Bills are in - if they really want an OT then they may be happy with Rieff at 10 but they may be equally happy with Martin at 18.

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Agree with Mahdi. After the first 5 or so picks the elite talent is gone and there is little differentiation between the players available at pick 8 versus pick 16.

Look at the situation the Bills are in - if they really want an OT then they may be happy with Rieff at 10 but they may be equally happy with Martin at 18.
Yep.

I wouldn't mind trading down and grabbing either the top WR, Janoris Jenkins, Cordy Glenn or Donta Hightower.

PTI
04-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Makes zero sense, it is easy to get good players high in the draft and not pay a gazillion dollars for them, this makes no sense, it has finally evened out to not kill bad teams to invest their whole future in monster contracts, this exec is just plain stupid.

trapezeus
04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
well if a lot of people want out, that means that the value will be low. A team drafting currently at the 20 spot, has essentially 5 teams to ask about trading with and can play each off of each other.

if what is said is true, then the bills don't want to be trading out because people will be low balling them.

ServoBillieves
04-10-2012, 10:59 AM
This is the paragon of the pre-draft. "It's a weak front, but the depth is phenomenal!" That's actually a paragon/paradox situation. If you could get the best at the top of a position in a "deep draft", why would you move back and settle for the silver or bronze medal?

If you can have a Champ Bailey, why settle for Brandon Carr and hope to add William Gay later? Why give up Blackmon to grab a sketchy Sanu and Wright? It's all hearsay, there's nothing else to talk about, hence why I'm still writing mocks and waiting for the damn draft.

It's all speculation until that card goes up to the podium. I think every team wants more picks, it's not rocket science to go for more hits than misses.

better days
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM

That is a big part of it but also this draft is supposed to be deep with many good players available later in the draft.

Ed
04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I believe that this is probably true and I agree that there's a lack of elite talent. It seems like the players being discussed for picks 7-20 are all pretty comparable in value. There are guys that could go 8 or 18 and it wouldn't be a surprise either way.

I think the problem these teams are going to have though, is that the same reasons they want to trade out of the top 10 are going to be the same reasons that teams won't want to trade into the top 10.