X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

My "Hate on this draft because Reiff's our 1st pick" Mock

Round 1 LT Riley Reiff Iowa: You don't pass on quality lineman in the draft moreso when you need a quality lineman. Sure he might grade out a few spots lower yet I will always take the guy who's ranked higher since the start of the draft process not a guy who moves up the charts at an alarming rate (Michael Floyd).

Round 2: OLB Lavonte David Nebraska : Speedy LB that could be starting instead of Kirk Morrison sooner than later.

Round 3: WR Marvin Jones California : Solid hardworking WR. Is he an elite talent? Nope but he still finds a way to make plays and doesn't need the spotlight on him and makes him a great #2 candidate.

Round 4A: CB Josh Norman Coastal Carolina: Small school CB with the skill set to eventually start.

Round 4B: TE Michael Egnew Missori: I'm leary taking TEs from Missouri as they always seem to produce in college but rarely in the NFL (see Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker) but his size and stats are impressive.

Round 5A: DE Julian Miller West Virginia: Not a need but at the same time I'm not 100% sold on Mark Anderson or Shawne Merriman or Chris Kelsay after 2012 so need someone to develop but be kicked in and can also play inside in nickel situations.

Round 5B: QB Austin Davis Southern Miss: I'm drafting him a little higher then predicted but he's got some tools to work with but likely nothing more then a career backup. Yet with his skill set Gailey might get the most out of him which doesn't make a horrible reach.

Round 6:C Scott Wedige Nothern Illinois: Erik Wood has yet to show he can stay healthy on a consistant basis. Just some insurance and/por someone to develop if we elect to not re-sign Wood because of his checkered injured past.

Round 7A: WR Lance Lewis Eastern Carolina: Small school prospect with NFL size who played well against "better talent" including Stephon Gilmore.

Round 7B: CB Isaiah Frey Neveda: What's better then gambling on a prospect who has good size and went to Nevada?
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM.
  • CleveSteve
    • Apr 2011

Re: My "Hate on this draft because Reiff's our 1st pick" Mock

I like it. Get a legit LT, a playmaking OLB, a WR who can take the top off of the defense, and a solid corner in the top 4 picks. None are reaches and match the team needs very well.

I don't think you're overdrafting Davis. CBS recently moved him up to #203 overall, which put him in the 6th round. If that's the QB you like (and I like him, too) then it's not too much to get him. By the way, that #203 is a full eighty slots ahead of his conference nemesis Case Keenum (#283 overall). I like the pick.

Miller is kind of a luxury pick there. The thing he does best is close. He needs to develop pass rush moves, but once he disengages with the blocker he is on the QB immediately. He really has remarkable athleticism and is decent against the run.

I don't like Egnew in the 4th, if I'm drafting a TE in that range I like Peterson from LSU. He's a more complete TE. If you're looking for a pure pass-catching TE in the Greg Olsen/Owen Daniels mold, I say take Chase Ford in the 6th and use that 4th on another LB or OT.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

The problem with drafting Reiff; is he better to start than Hairston who has starting LT experience in the NFL? I don't see how Reiff of all people can provide better results than Haiston as this point. Maybe down the road he can, but when drafting a player in the top 10, said player is expected to have an immediate impact as a starter. I don't see Reiff fitting this description as a LT. Maybe a RT, but we don't need one of those at #10.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
        The problem with drafting Reiff; is he better to start than Hairston who has starting LT experience in the NFL? I don't see how Reiff of all people can provide better results than Haiston as this point. Maybe down the road he can, but when drafting a player in the top 10, said player is expected to have an immediate impact as a starter. I don't see Reiff fitting this description as a LT. Maybe a RT, but we don't need one of those at #10.
        Well, with the departure of Bell, their depth chart shows one LT, Hairston, and he's had 7 starts. That's not much.

They better do something.

I'm not of the mind that a top ten pick be an immediate starter.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy
          Well, with the departure of Bell, their depth chart shows one LT, Hairston, and he's had 7 starts. That's not much.

They better do something.

I'm not of the mind that a top ten pick be an immediate starter.
          They better be a starter. Top 10 is where you find the cream of the crop, the best of the best. If they aren't suited to make an immediate impact, find someone else who is.

We can find a LT in RD2 who can compete for the LT job. There is only one elite LT ready to start from the get go and he'll be a top 5 pick.
          Last edited by jamze132; 04-10-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

They better be a starter. Top 10 is where you find the cream of the crop, the best of the best. If they aren't suited to make an immediate impact, find someone else who is.

We can find a LT in RD2 who can compete for the LT job. There is only one elite LT ready to start from the get go and he'll be a top 5 pick.
            There may be guys in the 2nd & 3rd rnd that will be better LTs in the NFL than Reiff who has short arms.

Comment

• CleveSteve
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by better days
              There may be guys in the 2nd & 3rd rnd that will be better LTs in the NFL than Reiff who has short arms.
              It kills me when people say stuff like this and then don't mention specifics. Who are these guys? There are none.

Joe Thomas' arm length is 32 1/2". Jake Long has 33" arms. Riley Reiff measured 33 1/4" arms at the combine. This stuff is nonsense. He's the second-best LT prospect in the draft. He should be the Bills pick at #10 assuming he's there. It's possible he won't be if Minnesota trades down.

And if you think Hairston, who fell to what, the sixth round last year is more ready to start because of 7 starts last year than Reiff who will be drafted in the first 13 picks for a reason then, well, I'm glad you have faith in your players.

Bottom line is if you don't draft a LT in the first round in this draft, you are going to struggle at LT this year. There just aren't enough good LTs to go around this year.
              Last edited by CleveSteve; 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by CleveSteve
                It kills me when people say stuff like this and then don't mention specifics. Who are these guys? There are none.

Joe Thomas' arm length is 32 1/2". Jake Long has 33" arms. Riley Reiff measured 33 1/4" arms at the combine. This stuff is nonsense. He's the second-best LT prospect in the draft. He should be the Bills pick at #10 assuming he's there. It's possible he won't be if Minnesota trades down.

And if you think Hairston, who fell to what, the sixth round last year is more ready to start because of 7 starts last year than Reiff who will be drafted in the first 13 picks for a reason then, well, I'm glad you have faith in your players.

Bottom line is if you don't draft a LT in the first round in this draft, you are going to struggle at LT this year. There just aren't enough good LTs to go around this year.
                Did we really struggle at LT last year? I thought our entire O-line did a hell of a job. You don't think Hairston will be even better this year after his experience he gained last year?

Comment

• CleveSteve
                  • Apr 2011

Did we really struggle at LT last year? I thought our entire O-line did a hell of a job. You don't think Hairston will be even better this year after his experience he gained last year?
                  Hey, if you're happy with Hairston at LT, then great, that's a major need that's hard to fill that you don't have to draft for. But if you need a LT and you're planning on getting him outside of round 1, you're in for trouble. That's all I'm saying.

Oh yeah... that and Reiff is completely worth a top-10 pick this year.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

For what it's worth, Bell started 6 games last year and the Bills won 4 of them. I'm not going to blame Hairston solely for any specific won or loss but it is an interesting stat to look at.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CleveSteve

Hairston was a fourth rnd pick & I will stand by what I said. Hairston will never be a Pro Bowl LT in the NFL, but I think he can be a solid LT for years. I doubt Reiff will ever be a Pro Bowl LT either. The vast majority of experts project Reiff to RT, NOT LT in the NFL.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                        For what it's worth, Bell started 6 games last year and the Bills won 4 of them. I'm not going to blame Hairston solely for any specific won or loss but it is an interesting stat to look at.
                        Those wins came before ANY injuries.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

I don't get to see Bills' games, but many folks here speak of a lot of quick, 3-step drop passing. That makes it easier on an OL.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Can't be a good left tackle in the NFL if your arms are just as short as a T-rex. There is a better prospect already on the team and his name is Chris Hairston.

Combine Chris Hairston (2011) Riley Reiff (2012)
                            Height CH-6'6" RR-6'5.75"
                            Weight CH-326 lbs. RR-313 lbs.
                            Arm Length CH-35.25" RR-33.25"
                            40-time CH-5.43 secs RR-5.23 secs
                            Bench Press CH-33 reps RR-23 reps
                            Vertical Jump CH-29" RR-26.5"
                            Broad Jump CH-96" RR-98"
                            3-Cone Drill CH-7.90 secs RR-7.87 secs
                            20-yard shuttle CH-4.70 secs RR-4.75 secs
                            Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                              • Apr 2011

Did you see the post above where I posted Joe Thomas and Jake long's arm lengths? Shorter than Reiff's.

If Hairston is good enough at LT, then fine, don't draft a LT in the first round. But this idea that there are better LTs to be had in the second or third rounds than reiff just seems silly or misinformed to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X