PDA

View Full Version : My "Hate on this draft because Reiff's our 1st pick" Mock

The Jokeman
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Round 1 LT Riley Reiff Iowa: You don't pass on quality lineman in the draft moreso when you need a quality lineman. Sure he might grade out a few spots lower yet I will always take the guy who's ranked higher since the start of the draft process not a guy who moves up the charts at an alarming rate (Michael Floyd).

Round 2: OLB Lavonte David Nebraska : Speedy LB that could be starting instead of Kirk Morrison sooner than later.

Round 3: WR Marvin Jones California : Solid hardworking WR. Is he an elite talent? Nope but he still finds a way to make plays and doesn't need the spotlight on him and makes him a great #2 candidate.

Round 4A: CB Josh Norman Coastal Carolina: Small school CB with the skill set to eventually start.

Round 4B: TE Michael Egnew Missori: I'm leary taking TEs from Missouri as they always seem to produce in college but rarely in the NFL (see Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker) but his size and stats are impressive.

Round 5A: DE Julian Miller West Virginia: Not a need but at the same time I'm not 100% sold on Mark Anderson or Shawne Merriman or Chris Kelsay after 2012 so need someone to develop but be kicked in and can also play inside in nickel situations.

Round 5B: QB Austin Davis Southern Miss: I'm drafting him a little higher then predicted but he's got some tools to work with but likely nothing more then a career backup. Yet with his skill set Gailey might get the most out of him which doesn't make a horrible reach.

Round 6:C Scott Wedige Nothern Illinois: Erik Wood has yet to show he can stay healthy on a consistant basis. Just some insurance and/por someone to develop if we elect to not re-sign Wood because of his checkered injured past.

Round 7A: WR Lance Lewis Eastern Carolina: Small school prospect with NFL size who played well against "better talent" including Stephon Gilmore.

Round 7B: CB Isaiah Frey Neveda: What's better then gambling on a prospect who has good size and went to Nevada?

CleveSteve
04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
I like it. Get a legit LT, a playmaking OLB, a WR who can take the top off of the defense, and a solid corner in the top 4 picks. None are reaches and match the team needs very well.

I don't think you're overdrafting Davis. CBS recently moved him up to #203 overall, which put him in the 6th round. If that's the QB you like (and I like him, too) then it's not too much to get him. By the way, that #203 is a full eighty slots ahead of his conference nemesis Case Keenum (#283 overall). I like the pick.

Miller is kind of a luxury pick there. The thing he does best is close. He needs to develop pass rush moves, but once he disengages with the blocker he is on the QB immediately. He really has remarkable athleticism and is decent against the run.

I don't like Egnew in the 4th, if I'm drafting a TE in that range I like Peterson from LSU. He's a more complete TE. If you're looking for a pure pass-catching TE in the Greg Olsen/Owen Daniels mold, I say take Chase Ford in the 6th and use that 4th on another LB or OT.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 05:34 AM
The problem with drafting Reiff; is he better to start than Hairston who has starting LT experience in the NFL? I don't see how Reiff of all people can provide better results than Haiston as this point. Maybe down the road he can, but when drafting a player in the top 10, said player is expected to have an immediate impact as a starter. I don't see Reiff fitting this description as a LT. Maybe a RT, but we don't need one of those at #10.

stuckincincy
04-10-2012, 05:54 AM
The problem with drafting Reiff; is he better to start than Hairston who has starting LT experience in the NFL? I don't see how Reiff of all people can provide better results than Haiston as this point. Maybe down the road he can, but when drafting a player in the top 10, said player is expected to have an immediate impact as a starter. I don't see Reiff fitting this description as a LT. Maybe a RT, but we don't need one of those at #10.

Well, with the departure of Bell, their depth chart shows one LT, Hairston, and he's had 7 starts. That's not much.

They better do something.

I'm not of the mind that a top ten pick be an immediate starter.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Well, with the departure of Bell, their depth chart shows one LT, Hairston, and he's had 7 starts. That's not much.

They better do something.

I'm not of the mind that a top ten pick be an immediate starter.
They better be a starter. Top 10 is where you find the cream of the crop, the best of the best. If they aren't suited to make an immediate impact, find someone else who is.

We can find a LT in RD2 who can compete for the LT job. There is only one elite LT ready to start from the get go and he'll be a top 5 pick.

better days
04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
They better be a starter. Top 10 is where you find the cream of the crop, the best of the best. If they aren't suited to make an immediate impact, find someone else who is.

We can find a LT in RD2 who can compete for the LT job. There is only one elite LT ready to start from the get go and he'll be a top 5 pick.

There may be guys in the 2nd & 3rd rnd that will be better LTs in the NFL than Reiff who has short arms.

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
There may be guys in the 2nd & 3rd rnd that will be better LTs in the NFL than Reiff who has short arms.

It kills me when people say stuff like this and then don't mention specifics. Who are these guys? There are none.

Joe Thomas' arm length is 32 1/2". Jake Long has 33" arms. Riley Reiff measured 33 1/4" arms at the combine. This stuff is nonsense. He's the second-best LT prospect in the draft. He should be the Bills pick at #10 assuming he's there. It's possible he won't be if Minnesota trades down.

And if you think Hairston, who fell to what, the sixth round last year is more ready to start because of 7 starts last year than Reiff who will be drafted in the first 13 picks for a reason then, well, I'm glad you have faith in your players.

Bottom line is if you don't draft a LT in the first round in this draft, you are going to struggle at LT this year. There just aren't enough good LTs to go around this year.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
It kills me when people say stuff like this and then don't mention specifics. Who are these guys? There are none.

Joe Thomas' arm length is 32 1/2". Jake Long has 33" arms. Riley Reiff measured 33 1/4" arms at the combine. This stuff is nonsense. He's the second-best LT prospect in the draft. He should be the Bills pick at #10 assuming he's there. It's possible he won't be if Minnesota trades down.

And if you think Hairston, who fell to what, the sixth round last year is more ready to start because of 7 starts last year than Reiff who will be drafted in the first 13 picks for a reason then, well, I'm glad you have faith in your players.

Bottom line is if you don't draft a LT in the first round in this draft, you are going to struggle at LT this year. There just aren't enough good LTs to go around this year.
Did we really struggle at LT last year? I thought our entire O-line did a hell of a job. You don't think Hairston will be even better this year after his experience he gained last year?

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Did we really struggle at LT last year? I thought our entire O-line did a hell of a job. You don't think Hairston will be even better this year after his experience he gained last year?

Hey, if you're happy with Hairston at LT, then great, that's a major need that's hard to fill that you don't have to draft for. But if you need a LT and you're planning on getting him outside of round 1, you're in for trouble. That's all I'm saying.

Oh yeah... that and Reiff is completely worth a top-10 pick this year.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
For what it's worth, Bell started 6 games last year and the Bills won 4 of them. I'm not going to blame Hairston solely for any specific won or loss but it is an interesting stat to look at.

better days
04-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Hairston was a fourth rnd pick & I will stand by what I said. Hairston will never be a Pro Bowl LT in the NFL, but I think he can be a solid LT for years. I doubt Reiff will ever be a Pro Bowl LT either. The vast majority of experts project Reiff to RT, NOT LT in the NFL.

better days
04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
For what it's worth, Bell started 6 games last year and the Bills won 4 of them. I'm not going to blame Hairston solely for any specific won or loss but it is an interesting stat to look at.

Those wins came before ANY injuries.

stuckincincy
04-10-2012, 11:38 AM

I don't get to see Bills' games, but many folks here speak of a lot of quick, 3-step drop passing. That makes it easier on an OL.

BertSquirtgum
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Can't be a good left tackle in the NFL if your arms are just as short as a T-rex. There is a better prospect already on the team and his name is Chris Hairston.

Combine Chris Hairston (2011) Riley Reiff (2012)
Height CH-6'6" RR-6'5.75"
Weight CH-326 lbs. RR-313 lbs.
Arm Length CH-35.25" RR-33.25"
40-time CH-5.43 secs RR-5.23 secs
Bench Press CH-33 reps RR-23 reps
Vertical Jump CH-29" RR-26.5"
Broad Jump CH-96" RR-98" http://bleacherreport.com/images/pixel.gif
3-Cone Drill CH-7.90 secs RR-7.87 secs
20-yard shuttle CH-4.70 secs RR-4.75 secs

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Did you see the post above where I posted Joe Thomas and Jake long's arm lengths? Shorter than Reiff's.

If Hairston is good enough at LT, then fine, don't draft a LT in the first round. But this idea that there are better LTs to be had in the second or third rounds than reiff just seems silly or misinformed to me.

better days
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Did you see the post above where I posted Joe Thomas and Jake long's arm lengths? Shorter than Reiff's.

If Hairston is good enough at LT, then fine, don't draft a LT in the first round. But this idea that there are better LTs to be had in the second or third rounds than reiff just seems silly or misinformed to me.

You have never heard of a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick being a better NFL player than someone taken in the 1st rnd of the same draft? It happens MANY times.

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Um, yes I have heard of that, but to go in with the strategy "we will find someone better in the second or third rounds" but not give a list of people that will be both 1) available at those selections and 2) better than Reiff is just whistling dixie to me.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Those wins came before ANY injuries.
Actually one of those wins came against Denver in Week 16.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't get to see Bills' games, but many folks here speak of a lot of quick, 3-step drop passing. That makes it easier on an OL.
I watched every game and we had a ****load of 3-step and quick passes which were very successful. Our O-line did great with what they were asked to do. Not sure why getting a 2nd tier LT reach is necessary at # 10.

stuckincincy
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I watched every game and we had a ****load of 3-step and quick passes which were very successful. Our O-line did great with what they were asked to do. Not sure why getting a 2nd tier LT reach is necessary at # 10.

I merely observed that the Bills now show one LT on the roster, and mentioned that they will have to address that. Maybe at #10, maybe not. Successful 3 step quick passes are nice, but that doesn't leave a lot of time to scan for a target that might prove more fruitful.

I think it's fair to say that the Bills' OL - for a number of years - has been a merry-go-round. Nice that they got Woods and Levitre. I'd like to see that trend continue.

I personally don't worry much about "value." If a club likes a player, who cares if others think that they somehow cheated themselves. Wide acceptance doesn't prove validity.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
For what it's worth Walter compare's Reiff to Ryan Clady, who was drafted 12th overall to the Broncos in 2008 (http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012rreiff.php) and according to http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story?id=6877023&_slug_=nfl-scouts-inc-2011-top-offensive-tackle-rankings&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fstory%3fid%3d6877023%26_slug_%3dnfl-scouts-inc-2011-top-offensive-tackle-rankings Clady ranked as the 5th best LT in the NFL. Oh yeah and he was also the second LT drafted in his draft class behind Jake Long. I get why people want to think we can just find a guy later in the daft but honesty if you look at most lists of where the best NFL lineman come from in terms of draft, it's in the 1st Round. Jason Peters is an exception not the rule.

Beebe's Kid
04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wdaOR.jpg

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
You're all overvaluing this whole short arm thing. Steve's brought up two guys who are widely considered the best two LTs in the NFL. I'm not saying that Reiff is going to be as good as Long or Thomas otherwise he'd be in the discussion of top pick in the draft. That said he still ranks by most in the top 15 of the draft and while might be a small reach at pick 10 I think it's a whole lot safer bet than going with someone outside of Round 1.

Beebe's Kid
04-10-2012, 04:45 PM
You're all overvaluing this whole short arm thing. Steve's brought up two guys who are widely considered the best two LTs in the NFL draft. I'm not saying that Reiff is going to be as good as Long or Thomas otherwise he'd be in the discussion of top pick in the draft. That said he still ranks by most in the top 15 of the draft and while might be a small reach at pick 10 I think it's a whole lot safer bet than going with someone outside of Round 2.
I just thought the idea of short arms was funny. I am not saying that that can't be a factor, but I think people put too much emphasis on things like that. If a player is good, he's good...If Reiff could come in and protect Fitz, and open some holes in the running game, I wouldn't care if his arms were short or not...I was going to say that nobody would care, but we all know that somebody would have to care, and cry for us to get longer arms at the LT position.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I just thought the idea of short arms was funny. I am not saying that that can't be a factor, but I think people put too much emphasis on things like that. If a player is good, he's good...If Reiff could come in and protect Fitz, and open some holes in the running game, I wouldn't care if his arms were short or not...I was going to say that nobody would care, but we all know that somebody would have to care, and cry for us to get longer arms at the LT position.
It was funny but am getting sick of the naysayers on Reiff. I mean the worst thing I've heard about Reiff is Mayock who feels he might be better suited to play RT a year or two and then get moved over to LT. Well hell didn't we do this with Jason Peters? but I know we didn't draft Peters 10th overall etc. Truth be told I don't mind reaching if we could get another Jason Peters instead of hoping to find someone else later just incase Hairston fails like others here have proposed. As Hairston's to me a big question mark so why not try and answer it by taking the best guy that's going to be available which simply put is Reiff.

dannyek71
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM

I remember another Iowa OL that we passed on due to his short arms in favor of Spiller.

That worked out great!

better days
04-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Um, yes I have heard of that, but to go in with the strategy "we will find someone better in the second or third rounds" but not give a list of people that will be both 1) available at those selections and 2) better than Reiff is just whistling dixie to me.

I don't, but I'm sure Nix has the list. As I said Reiff is a projected RT who looks on paper to be no better than Hairston. I will bet whatever team drafts Reiff, he will not start at LT next year unless someone is injured.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't, but I'm sure Nix has the list. As I said Reiff is a projected RT who looks on paper to be no better than Hairston. I will bet whatever team drafts Reiff, he will not start at LT next year unless someone is injured.
How can you say Reiff doesn't look better than Hairston? Do you bother reading scouting reports. Come on man he ranks as 1st Round talent something Hairston never had going for him.

better days
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
You're all overvaluing this whole short arm thing. Steve's brought up two guys who are widely considered the best two LTs in the NFL draft. I'm not saying that Reiff is going to be as good as Long or Thomas otherwise he'd be in the discussion of top pick in the draft. That said he still ranks by most in the top 15 of the draft and while might be a small reach at pick 10 I think it's a whole lot safer bet than going with someone outside of Round 1.

Well, if the Bills needed a RT maybe, but the Bills need a LT. Why does eveyone that likes Reiff not understand, he projects to RT, NOT LT in the NFL?

better days
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
How can you say Reiff doesn't look better than Hairston? Do you bother reading scouting reports. Come on man he ranks as 1st Round talent something Hairston never had going for him.

Something Tom Brady never had going for him coming out of College either.

better days
04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I remember another Iowa OL that we passed on due to his short arms in favor of Spiller.

That worked out great!

And I remember a LT the Bills took with the 4th pick in the draft.

better days
04-10-2012, 07:48 PM
It was funny but am getting sick of the naysayers on Reiff. I mean the worst thing I've heard about Reiff is Mayock who feels he might be better suited to play RT a year or two and then get moved over to LT. Well hell didn't we do this with Jason Peters? but I know we didn't draft Peters 10th overall etc. Truth be told I don't mind reaching if we could get another Jason Peters instead of hoping to find someone else later just incase Hairston fails like others here have proposed. As Hairston's to me a big question mark so why not try and answer it by taking the best guy that's going to be available which simply put is Reiff.

The best guy is DeCastro if you are talking OL. After him, I would take Glenn over Reiff myself.

BPA is either Floyd or Coples most likely to be available at #10.

Philagape
04-10-2012, 08:49 PM

That worked out great!

I'd take Spiller over Bulaga right now. Bulaga's not a LT, if you haven't noticed.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I'd take Spiller over Bulaga right now. Bulaga's not a LT, if you haven't noticed.
but would you seleft Spiller AND Ed Wang over Bulaga AND James Starks right now? Again I feel too many people are focused on the 1st pick. Look over my entire draft and am curious of your feedback and/or what group you'd take instead.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
And I remember a LT the Bills took with the 4th pick in the draft.
If you're referring to Mike Williams, I hate to break it to you but he played RT at Texas but because he did well at the combine and had a beeming personality we took him instead of the more accomplished LT in that draft Bryant McKinnie.

TigerJ
04-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't really care to get involved in the Chris Hairston/Reilly Reiff debate. I do not that Hairston did struggle some late in the year, and he was also injured. Since he is the only player on the team that can play left tackle, the Bills have to add somebody. Marcus McNeil appears not to be an option for health reasons. That means Buffalo has to draft somebody.

I'm not thrilled with all of Reiff's measurables, but I don't think his shorter than ideal arms mean he has "bust" written all over him. I do think ideally, Chris Hairston should have some competition for the starting role out of the gate. There are not many left tackles in the draft who are capable of doing that. Reilly probably is, but as others can certainly point out there are other areas on the team where that pick can also be used to great advantage. If Buffalo doesn't draft Reiff, odds are the tackle the Bills do draft is going to need some development before he can really push to start. Some of those guys may have a little higher upside than Reiff. They include Cordy Glenn and Jonathon Martin, who would probably have to drafted at #10 for Buffalo to have any chance of landing them. In the second round the Bills might be able to draft Mike Adams or Bobby Massie. Both are raw. Adams has a couple of red flags, but they also have a pretty high ceiling. In the third round there is Brandon Mosely, who played right tackle in college, but has athleticism like Massie and can probably switch. There may be a sleeper in the later rounds, but most of the other guys mentioned as left tackle candidates, guys like Zebrie Sanders, are not especially athletic. I think they are backups or right tackles at best and won't provide any competition for Hairston ever.

The bottom line is that if Buffalo doesn't draft a left tackle in the first three rounds, they had better hope Hairston can do a great job and stay healthy because there won't be a plan B.

TigerJ
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
If you're referring to Mike Williams, I hate to break it to you but he played RT at Texas but because he did well at the combine and had a beeming personality we took him instead of the more accomplished LT in that draft Bryant McKinnie.Buffalo may have also avoided McKinnie because McKinnie threatened not to play at all if Buffalo drafted him.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Buffalo may have also avoided McKinnie because McKinnie threatened not to play at all if Buffalo drafted him.
Either way Mike Williams was never a true LT prospect. People just assumed because he could protect a left handed QBs blindside in college he could do so in the pros. I like it taking a right handed bowler and turn him/her into a left handed bowler. No easy task at first and eventually you can do it but very few can do as well both ways.

Philagape
04-11-2012, 07:04 AM
but would you seleft Spiller AND Ed Wang over Bulaga AND James Starks right now? Again I feel too many people are focused on the 1st pick. Look over my entire draft and am curious of your feedback and/or what group you'd take instead.

These kinds of questions are irrelevant because you don't know how the draft is going to pan out. You don't know what players you want will be unexpectedly gone, or which ones will unexpectedly fall. You can't draft by groups. At each pick you take the individual you want the most.
And to answer that question, yes. Starks is an easily replaceable mediocre RB, so he adds nothing to the equation.
And no offense, but I don't care about anyone's mock draft.

better days
04-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Either way Mike Williams was never a true LT prospect. People just assumed because he could protect a left handed QBs blindside in college he could do so in the pros. I like it taking a right handed bowler and turn him/her into a left handed bowler. No easy task at first and eventually you can do it but very few can do as well both ways.

He may have played RT in College, but he was a LT prospect going into the draft. EVERYONE had him projected to LT.

He SUCKED so bad, he couldn't even cut it at RT in Buffalo after he failed at LT.

BertSquirtgum
04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
If the Bills think Reiff is good and they pick him, that's fine with me. If Floyd is there, I would much rather the Bills pick him.

BertSquirtgum
04-11-2012, 10:28 AM

That worked out great!

You do know that Baluga plays right tackle on Green Bay right? Most on here that wanted him drafted to play LT. Others who didn't want him said he is nothing more than a right tackle in the NFL. There's a reason he's not playing LT on Green Bay. Same damn thing going on here.

stuckincincy
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
He may have played RT in College, but he was a LT prospect going into the draft. EVERYONE had him projected to LT.

He SUCKED so bad, he couldn't even cut it at RT in Buffalo after he failed at LT.

His lower legs looked like toothpicks.

Blacksheep71
04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Bulaga hasn't played at LT with the Packers because Chad Clifton has a resurgence and Bulaga settled well at RT. Then other long term options such as Derek Sherrod taken in 2011 became more relevant. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My concern with Reiff is that it is a comparatively weak year for established college LTs outside of Kalil. There are some raw prospects later, and maybe we need to look at these.

With the 2013 class looking extremely deep at OT we might be better off waiting until then, and addressing other issues this year. We might end up having to look at a QB/LT combo so addressing other areas should be a priority.

Bill Cody
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Reiff will NOT be a bust. People need to remember where the bar is for Bills draft picks around 10. This is a simple matter of proper talent evaluation and due dilligence. If Nix decides Reiff is the pick it means he's comfortable he can play LT IMO. And if he is I am. And even if he's dead wrong Reiff will be a starter at RT in this league for a decade. Have we done worse than that with the draft? Yeah...like almost every year. So relax fellas.