PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with Marcus McNeil?

X-Era
04-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Am I missing something? Aren't we talking about a very good starting caliber LT in this league that's still sitting out there unsigned? I mean my thought is that he's asking for too much money. But, is there something else? Injury?

This is a guy I'd love for the Bills to land as insurance for Hairston. To me he's an upgrade to Bell and would solidify the LT spot. It would help keep us from taking a LT early who may be no better a prospect than what we have.

I'd wait on him until after draft day or even during draft day and sign him then based on what we do.

But am I missing something here?

DieHrdBillsFan23
04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
I've been wanting him since the beginning...his injury history and asking price may be scaring teams away...with Bell being overpaid in Philly, that's didnt help. Still would love to see him in blo

alohabillsfan
04-10-2012, 06:57 AM
I've been wanting him since the beginning...his injury history and asking price may be scaring teams away...with Bell being overpaid in Philly, that's didnt help. Still would love to see him in blo

Bell got 3.5 million for 2012, thats not overpaying for a LT. It does show how much the Bills didnt want him back, couple that with the fact that Mcneil hasnt been to Buffalo for a visit means either the Bills are happy with Hairston at LT and a mid round draft pick for depth or they are content going into the draft knowing the guy they want will be available.

ddaryl
04-10-2012, 07:16 AM
think it through.. Nobody is interested in him.

My guess he would have trouble passing a physical.. injuries have taken their toll

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Injuries

Tatonka
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
i thought someone said san diego resigned him

Ed
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I read somewhere that he may be considering retirement for health reasons. I was in favor of going after McNeil earlier in free agency, but if he has injury issues I would have to question his desire to really give it everything he has at this point.

BertSquirtgum
04-10-2012, 10:39 AM
He's fat and broken.

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 11:09 AM
When he was drafted the main concern was his spinal stenosis. They said he'd probably be a good LT for about 5 years but his neck and back wouldn't hold up.

Well, it's been five years, so...

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
i thought someone said san diego resigned him
No, San Diego re-signed Jared Gaither whom they signed to replace an injured McNeil.

THRILLHO
04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I could have SWORN he signed...

But I'm also wrong like once a year. So this could be that time.

BertSquirtgum
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
He is a free agent and will remain so. No one wants a broken player.

Buddo
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
In respect of McNeil and the Bills, I think you would have to say that they are really shying away from guys with injury concerns. It's one of the reasons they obviously didn't offer Bell that much. Now while McNeil is proven (when healthy), it isn't exactly the best approach to replace one injury prone guy, with another, but at a higher price.

I'd also say that you see this happen every year, with a few guys who have played at a high level previously, but simply aren't healthy enough to be signed at the start of FA, yet may become so in another month or so.

TBH, I still feel that my original assertion, about replacing one injury prone guy with another, is as much the truth as anything else, but I think it's injury concerns that have nobody hardly even kicking the tires on McNeil.

gr8slayer
04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry, but I disagree with your sentiment that Bell got overpaid.

Raptor
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Back issues,same as when he came out of college, and as with any athlete anything to do with the back is a major red flag bc its always a ticking time bomb

gr8slayer
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Back issues,same as when he came out of college, and as with any athlete anything to do with the back is a major red flag bc its always a ticking time bombThe issue is only amplified when you're almost 350 pounds too.

better days
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry, but I disagree with your sentiment that Bell got overpaid.

Well, this subject can be revisited about week 8 of the season. If both Bell & Vick are healthy & playing well, $3.2 Million may not be a bad price to rent him for the year.

The Eagles don't use the quick 3 step drop like the Bills however & even though Vick can move around, we will find out if Fitz made Bell look better than he is.

I seriously doubt the Eagles pay him the $8.35 Mill roster bonus due before the start of next season however & that would have been a deal breaker for the Bills because they would have wanted to sign him to a long term deal & his injury history would preclude such a bonus IMO.

gr8slayer
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Well, this subject can be revisited about week 8 of the season. If both Bell & Vick are healthy & playing well, $3.2 Million may not be a bad price to rent him for the year.

The Eagles don't use the quick 3 step drop like the Bills however & even though Vick can move around, we will find out if Fitz made Bell look better than he is.

I seriously doubt the Eagles pay him the $8.35 Mill roster bonus due before the start of next season however & that would have been a deal breaker for the Bills because they would have wanted to sign him to a long term deal & his injury history would preclude such a bonus IMO.
You also have to take into consideration that Vick is left-handed. Having said that, Bell will not be Vick's blindside protection. As far as the $8.35 million bonus, there's no doubt that both Bell and the Eagles have no intention of exercising that. As far as the injuries, it's impossible and makes no sense to make assumptions.

more cowbell
04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Chronic back problems the past few years. Dude is damaged good now unfortunately.

better days
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
You also have to take into consideration that Vick is left-handed. Having said that, Bell will not be Vick's blindside protection. As far as the $8.35 million bonus, there's no doubt that both Bell and the Eagles have no intention of exercising that. As far as the injuries, it's impossible and makes no sense to make assumptions.

Well, Vick will be able to see who hit him before he goes splat.

I think Bell would love to exercise the option of that bonus if he only could.
The fact that is unlikely, says the guaranteed $3.25 Mill the Eagles gave Bell for one year was the best deal he could get from ANY team in the NFL.

I seriously doubt the Eagles would have paid Bell that kind of money if Peters did not get injured, so that means Bell was overpaid.

bigbub2352
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
i say bring him in as depth at very least...cant hurt adding vets especially after teo pro bowls...cant hurt

better days
04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
i say bring him in as depth at very least...cant hurt adding vets especially after teo pro bowls...cant hurt

Well, it would hurt team moral & the Bills cap budget if they bring in a guy that sits on the bench & makes more money than many of the starters.

Blacksheep71
04-11-2012, 02:04 PM
The irony that McNeill must see is that his replacement Jared Gaither missed an entire season and was then released because of a 'BACK INJURY'.

And he is 6ft9 and 340lbs

McNeill is slightly shorter and lighter and as he has always lived with spinal stenosis you'd think he'd learnt to manage it. He was put on injured reserve because of nasty neck injury caused by Aaron Curry but has by all accounts recovered from it.

And he's stated on numerous occasions since Jan 2nd that he has no interest in retiring. I think the issue is that the teams he's visited - Detroit, Atlanta, KC - either have no cap space or in the case of KC other options.

I think if we're targetting Reiff and he goes in the Top10 then Nix may well be calling McNeill.

A play and pay contract 1 year deal would be advantageous in the extreme.