PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 players in the draft

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
These are the top 10 players in the draft IMO and we will get one of them. Who should it realistically be?

1. Luck
2. Griffin
3. Kalil
4. Claiborne
5. Blackmon
6. Floyd
7. Richardson
8. Wright
9. Tannehill
10. Janoris Jenkins

EDIT: removed Coples and added Janoris Jenkins.

I have to say, this is a weak draft class at the top end. Once you get passed Kalil it gets iffy.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Why is Tannehill in the top 10?

EDS
04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Personally, I would place Poe, Kuechly, Coples, Rieff and Ingram (in no particular order) ahead of Tannehill, Floyd, Jenkins and Wright.

justasportsfan
04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Why is Tannehill in the top 10?

I was wondering that too. Tanehill = Gabbert. drafted early out of pure desperation.

Night Train
04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Ourlads ( actuals scouts ) Top 42

http://www.ourlads.com/top-32-college-senior-prospects/nfl-draft/2012/1178241

Tannehill is at the bottom.

Realistically, it should be Gilmore, Reiff & Martin over any WR.

Depth chart screams CB & LT. Easy to find WR's.

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Tannehill is in the top ten for two reasons. Weak high end talent and the QB factor.

Tannehill is actually a good QB prospect and that alone makes him valuable. More valuable then a DT who didn't produce and other underwhelming prospects.

justasportsfan
04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Tannehill is in the top ten for two reasons. Weak high end talent and the QB factor.

Tannehill is actually a good QB prospect and that alone makes him valuable. More valuable then a DT who didn't produce and other underwhelming prospects.

he's a desperation pick if ever, not a top 10 TALENT.

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Personally, I would place Poe, Kuechly, Coples, Rieff and Ingram (in no particular order) ahead of Tannehill, Floyd, Jenkins and Wright.
Well I would completely disagree as Poe did not produce in college which should eliminate him from the top 10. Kuechly although instinctive and has speed is not as explosive as previous top ten ILBs like Vilma and Willis. Reiff is simply not that athletic and not that strong. He is technically sound which is not enough to be a top 10. Coples simply did not achieve enough compared to his physical abilities. He also looks a bit slow off the snap, doesn't have elite burst. Ingram is not ideal in terms of size and speed which is a big turn off for top ten teams.

The players you mentioned, Floyd, Wright and Jenkins. Those guys have elite production and elite measurables. Wright is not a physical specimen by any means but his production and skill level are elite level and that makes him a top 10 player in my view. Floyd is a big man, and makes every kind of catch anywhere on the field. Also has good speed to go with his frame and catching radius. His production was huge in college and he did it for 3 years which is a huge factor.

Jenkins is the dark horse but this kid is a natural football player. All the change of direction skills you want in a CB and although he is only 5'10 he has long arms which make up for the height. Was also successful covering elite WRs in the SEC. Only concern is character. If he stays 'clean' he will be a PBer very fast IMO.

Tannehill is debatable but I think a good OC will turn him into a very good QB.

k-oneputt
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
I think they are taking Cordy Glenn.
Everything fits with this guy for Nix.

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I think they are taking Cordy Glenn.
Everything fits with this guy for Nix.
In terms of value not sure its there at 10. In terms of fit with Nix its definitely there. Glenn is 345 has 36 in arms and 10+ in hands. That is special for an OT.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
You'll have mine tomorrow when I drop my top 750.

Ed
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Here's Scouts Inc's top 10 for comparison:

1. Luck 99
2. RGIII 97
3. Kalil 97
4. Claiborne 96
5. Richardson 96
6. Cox 95
7. Blackmon 95
8. Tannehill 95
9. Coples 95
10. Kuechley 95

FlyingDutchman
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Tannehill should not be in the top 10 imo. I wouldnt even put him in the top 15. Only reason hes there is bc he fills a need for a team. Hes the 3rd best at his position, and would not be in the top 10 if other QBs weren't being taken 1 and 2 in the draft

k-oneputt
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
In terms of value not sure its there at 10. In terms of fit with Nix its definitely there. Glenn is 345 has 36 in arms and 10+ in hands. That is special for an OT.

Maybe so on value but you are splitting hairs saying one guy is ranked 10 and another 20.
Reiff looks to be ranked somewhere around 10 but if Nix likes Glenn better do you think he is going to be concerned where the so called experts think he should be drafted ?
The only rankings that matter are where the Bills have these guys listed. My guess is Nix has Glenn as the #2 ot behind Kalil.

Mahdi
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Tannehill should not be in the top 10 imo. I wouldnt even put him in the top 15. Only reason hes there is bc he fills a need for a team. Hes the 3rd best at his position, and would not be in the top 10 if other QBs weren't being taken 1 and 2 in the draft
Tannehill should be in the top 10 and here is why:

Although Tannehill is not considered a Luck type prospect that is can't miss, his value as a QB boosts him by like 15 points right off the bat.

For example, if you were thinking of taking an OLB in the top 10, how many OLB that are highly productive can you find in the NFL? I would say at least 50 if not more. Some teams have 3 highly productive LBs. Now if you shift that focus to QBs how many highly productive QBs are there? half the league maybe?

That is where Tannehill's value goes from top 20 to top 10. The simple fact that QBs are hard to find and if you think Tannehill can be a Joe Flacco for you that is better than drafting an OLB that you can find in the unemployment line that will do the same job a top 10 pick can. Nick Barnett a good example.

So although Tannehill is not expected to be Peyton Manning or Brady, its good enough for a GM if he can find himself a Flacco or Rothlesberger or Cutler to select him in the top 10.

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
This is all just my opinion...

Elite Talent
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Matt Kalil
Justin Blackmon
Trent Richardson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Morris Claiborne
Floyd

Top Half of First Round Talent
Fletcher Cox
Riley Reiff
Cordy Glenn
Michael Brockers
Dontari Poe
Melvin Ingram (3-4 OLB)
Whitney Mercilus (4-3 DE)

Bottom Half of 1st Round Talent
Luke Keuchly
Kendall Wright
Dont'a Hightower
Courtney Upshaw
Jonathan Martin
David DeCastro
Mark Barron
Janoris Jenkins
Quinton Coples
Brandon Brooks
Mike Adams
Doug Martin

Early 2nd round talent
Lavonte David
Bobby Wagner
Greg Childs
Stephen Hill
Brandon Boykin
Vinny Curry
Nick Perry
Devon Still
Jerel Worthy
Alshon Jeffrey
Kendall Reyes (4-3 UT only)
Zach Brown
Alfonso Dennard
Jared Crick (3-4 DE or 4-3 LDE)
Ryan Tannehill
Brock Osweiler

Guys like Gilmore, Cam Johnson, Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Zeitler, Sanu and Konz would fall into that next group.

Chandler Jones, Andre Branch, Reuben Randle, David Wilson, Lamar Miller, Josh Robinson I wouldn't touch till the third.

I think if a team could get multiple picks in the top half of the second round they could make a killing. I expect the Rams and Philly to have awesome drafts.

ServoBillieves
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
So everyone says that Reiff is a top 10 talent... but he'd be a reach at 10... Which one is it people? Seriously.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
So everyone says that Reiff is a top 10 talent... but he'd be a reach at 10... Which one is it people? Seriously.

He's not in my top 10.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Although Tannehill is not considered a Luck type prospect that is can't miss, his value as a QB boosts him by like 15 points right off the bat.
For example, if you were thinking of taking an OLB in the top 10, how many OLB that are highly productive can you find in the NFL? I would say at least 50 if not more. Some teams have 3 highly productive LBs. Now if you shift that focus to QBs how many highly productive QBs are there? half the league maybe?

That is where Tannehill's value goes from top 20 to top 10. The simple fact that QBs are hard to find and if you think Tannehill can be a Joe Flacco for you that is better than drafting an OLB that you can find in the unemployment line that will do the same job a top 10 pick can. Nick Barnett a good example.

So although Tannehill is not expected to be Peyton Manning or Brady, its good enough for a GM if he can find himself a Flacco or Rothlesberger or Cutler to select him in the top 10.

So what is the scale for scoring points and what point totals are you assigning to your Top 10?

Ed
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
On some boards he's top 10 and on some he's not. There seem to be some differing opinions on if he can be an elite LT or not, which varies his ranking.

jamze132
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Tannehill has the luxury of being the best 2nd tier QB, just like Gabbert. Another QB no one heard of until the draft and has no business being drafted in the first round.

The Jokeman
04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
He's not in my top 10.
but would you rather take Reiff at 10 and another WR later or take Floyd at 10 and another LT later? I've seen your latest mock has Floyd as the pick but haven't really seen your comments on Reiff as a prospect.

X-Era
04-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Personally, I'm a bigger fan of tiers these days. I feel like theres a blue chip tier with about 5 or 6 names and then players 7 through 20 are pretty equal as far as rankings.

I'd say the top 5 are:
Luck
Griffin III
Kalil
Richardson
Claiborne

I think Blackmon is just on the border.

So, at 10, we could go a whole host of routes and not be really reaching IMO.

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
but would you rather take Reiff at 10 and another WR later or take Floyd at 10 and another LT later? I've seen your latest mock has Floyd as the pick but haven't really seen your comments on Reiff as a prospect.

Floyd at 10 and another OT later.

CleveSteve
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Which LTs do you like later?

DraftBoy
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Which LTs do you like later?

Massie
McCants
Allen
Datko
Carmon

k-oneputt
04-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Massie will go 2nd rd.

FlyingDutchman
04-10-2012, 06:09 PM

I get ya, but you're talking about top 10 value wise, Im talking top 10 talent wise. We're kinda comparing apples and oranges. Kinda goes with what people have been saying about Gabbert. No shot he was top 10 talent last year, but he was taken bc it filled a need, and his value was seen higher than QBs that were slated to go later in the draft

Cali512
04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Griffin
Luck
Decastro- If everyones right about him being an instant pro bowler and the best OL in the draft, how is he not 3rd?
Kalil
Richardson
Claiborne
Coples
Floyd
Ingram
Blackmon

YardRat
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Tannehill is not top 10 talent, regardless of where he gets drafted.

gr8slayer
04-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Combine aside, I fail to see the obsession with Poe. The guy failed to impress in one of the weakest "major" conferences in the NCAA. Even leaving his statistics out of the story (as stats rarely tell the entire story), the guy just isn't very impressive on tape.

DraftBoy
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
As promised my top 10:
1. QB Andrew Luck-Stanford
2. QB Robert Griffin III-Baylor
3. RB Trent Richardson-Alabama
4. OT Matt Kalil-USC
5. CB Morris Claiborne-LSU
6. DE Quinton Coples-UNC
7. OG David DeCastro-Stanford
8. WR Michael Floyd-Notre Dame
9. WR Justin Blackmon-Oklahoma State
10. DT Fletcher Cox-Mississippi State

Blacksheep71
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Massie
McCants
Allen
Datko
Carmon

I think Kelechi Osomele whilst a bit raw could be an interesting prospect. Unpolished prospects who have been getting attention including Jeff Adams of Columbia and Dustin Waldron of Portland State

CleveSteve
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Watching Osemele during Senior Bowl week I think he'll struggle to be a RT let alone a LT. I think he can be a startable guard but he'd be a very poor OT in the NFL IMO.

Slim
04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
As promised my top 10:
1. QB Andrew Luck-Stanford
2. QB Robert Griffin III-Baylor
3. RB Trent Richardson-Alabama
4. OT Matt Kalil-USC
5. CB Morris Claiborne-LSU
6. DE Quinton Coples-UNC
7. OG David DeCastro-Stanford
8. WR Michael Floyd-Notre Dame
9. WR Justin Blackmon-Oklahoma State
10. DT Fletcher Cox-Mississippi State

I really hope the Bills top pick comes out of one of your top 9.