X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Pressure for Mario non-existent compared to 2006

NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly, who was the Texans GM at the time, paints the picture.

“There was a tremendous push for Bush and Vince Young was the hometown hero,” he said. “The week of the draft there were three full page ads in the Houston Chronicle, the big newspaper down there, to draft Vince Young. One of the sponsors of the team at a rate of over $1 million a year goes on the radio and tells Texans fans to cancel their season tickets if the Texans don’t take Vince Young. So that was what it was like.”

“I never understood the negativity towards me, especially when you can’t choose as a draft pick,” said Williams. “I knew I couldn’t control what people say, so I never focused on it. I just focused on becoming a better player.”
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Pressure for Mario non-existent compared to 2006

Mario is like the ugly duckling girl in HS that blossomed into a beautiful swan after graduation. He will feel the love in Buffalo after being booed in Houston.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

So, who's been the best player of the three, Mario, Bush or Young? Most fans, including many of us, are not the greatest talent evaluators.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

the pressure is not on Mario. It's on Nix.
        sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

i remember that draft and hearing they took mario williams. i didn't know who he was. it was hands down bush as the number 1 pick. it blew my mind.

wouldn't it be amazing if the colts did the same thing and picked some totally random guy like williams as opposed to luck or RGIII?

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            the pressure is not on Mario. It's on Nix.
            Nope. The pressure is on Fitzpatrick to hold up the offensive side of the bargain. The defense is going to be a beast. If Fitz and Co. can generate 20 points per game, we'll win 10-12.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Pehaps, but it will be nice to not have to score 40 points to win a game.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                Nope. The pressure is on Fitzpatrick to hold up the offensive side of the bargain. The defense is going to be a beast. If Fitz and Co. can generate 20 points per game, we'll win 10-12.
                Fitz is part of decisions Nix made. His decisions have to produce in his 3rd year.
                Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Casserly on Mario impact

“First of all you’ll get great effort. You’ll get 100 percent out of him. That isn’t going to be an issue,” Casserly told Buffalobills.com. “Teams are going to build their offensive blocking schemes around him so that should free up opportunities for other players,” ”I think he’s going to play hard and he can play the run well, which was a major problem with the Bills, stopping people running the football. They’ve got to stop the run.

“Once they stop the run and get teams in more passing situations that’s when their pass rushers can be more productive. I think you’ll get a guy in Mario that offenses will build their game plan around and that will help everyone else. Their run defense will be improved and he’s a guy that’s capable of getting double-digit sacks for you every year.”

sacrifice1

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
                    i remember that draft and hearing they took mario williams. i didn't know who he was. it was hands down bush as the number 1 pick. it blew my mind.

wouldn't it be amazing if the colts did the same thing and picked some totally random guy like williams as opposed to luck or RGIII?
                    I went against the grain on the whole Bush thing and agreed that Mario would be better in the long run. I was right. I feel bad for the GM of Houston who got booed (although if I remember correctly, he was leaving them anyway) - but he did the right thing!

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      I went against the grain on the whole Bush thing and agreed that Mario would be better in the long run. I was right. I feel bad for the GM of Houston who got booed (although if I remember correctly, he was leaving them anyway) - but he did the right thing!
                      Charley Casserly Texans GM, did not leave Houston of his own accord. He was fired after the Mario Williams draft.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by better days
                        Charley Casserly Texans GM, did not leave Houston of his own accord. He was fired after the Mario Williams draft.
                        As I remember it, he resigned, looking to get a job in the NFL office instead...

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          As I remember it, he resigned, looking to get a job in the NFL office instead...
                          You remember it wrong. Look it up on Wiki.

Comment

• tatersalad
                            • Apr 2008

Actually that was his last draft on his own accord, and they signed him b4 the draft.. He wasn't fired he just wasn't renewed and he is one of the better talent evaluators in the nfl

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

You remember it wrong. Look it up on Wiki.
                              Casserly officially resigns as GM of Texans

Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly resigned Wednesday, ending months of speculation that intensified in recent weeks after the team used the No. 1 pick to draft defensive end Mario Williams.

Casserly had been with the Texans since the expansion franchise joined the league six years ago. The Texans played their first season in 2002.

"I've been in this league 29 years," Casserly said. "I spent a lot of time talking about this with my family. We came to the same conclusion -- the time was right to move on."

Casserly met with Texans owner Bob McNair on Wednesday morning, telling McNair he wanted to pursue a job in the NFL office in New York. He also met with the Texans' coaching staff and contacted Houston's scouts.

Casserly will officially step down on June 1.

"I have an interest in doing other things right now," Casserly said.
                              McNair said Casserly was not fired. He said he had no replacement candidates in mind.

Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly resigned Wednesday, ending months of speculation that intensified in recent weeks after the team used the No. 1 pick to draft defensive end Mario Williams.
                              Last edited by mysticsoto; 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X