• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Top 5 potential busts in round 1

With 16 days remaining until the bell rings and the 2012 NFL Draft is finally upon us, another time of year is also underway. The "don't believe what any organization is saying right now" time of year. Clubs are purposely leaking out false information trying to get the other 31 franchises to believe that they are leaning towards a player, when in reality they wouldn't touch that player with a ten foot pole. With that being said, it's also the time of year where we project the potential sleepers in the draft along with the potential busts. Agree with my top 5? Disagree? Let me hear you in the comments.
    Full story
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Top 5 potential busts in round 1

I would replace Brockers and Coples with Blackmon and Poe.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

I disagree on Coples, if anything he's a bit underappreciated in this draft. Maybe because he's the best of a weak class and didn't dominate his final year at NC. Yet I think a lot of teams that could use at DE help and pass on him will be lamenting the decision.
      Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-10-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

T Long,

Again, please stop with making us have to click multiple pages to see your list. It's a huge pain in the ass and would be much easier just to put it into one page. No need to "dolly" up your article.

Comment

• T-Long
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
          T Long,

Again, please stop with making us have to click multiple pages to see your list. It's a huge pain in the ass and would be much easier just to put it into one page. No need to "dolly" up your article.
          I have no control over the slideshow piece. It is something that the owner of the site is currently using. I prefer the longer article without the slideshows as well, but I don't have a say in that. I write the article, the editors put it in the format they want on the site. I will relay the feedback b/c this just started about a month ago. Thanks!

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by The Jokeman
            I disagree on Coples, if anything he's a bit underappreciated in this draft. Maybe because he's the best of a weak class and didn't dominate his final year at NC. Yet I think a lot of teams that could use at DE help and pass on him will be lamenting the decision.

Jokeman I actually am going to disagree with you on this.
            If you watched Coples play last year he was NO WHERE to be found the 1st part of the year then finally he emerged and had a better last part of the season.
            Yea he had a good SR Bowl but I hate seeing players especially with the tools Coples have just disappear.
            Bust written all over him.
            But you could be right and he could out to be a good 1, I just think it will take a long time for that..
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I like your article, T, and don't disagree much, but there is one thing that bothers me. That is comparing Brockers to Dorsey and Jackson, as if he's doomed to failure because the two previous DTs from LSU have not fared well in the NFL. Brockers is a totally different guy whose success or failure will have nothing to do with the guys who were there before him.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• T-Long
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                I like your article, T, and don't disagree much, but there is one thing that bothers me. That is comparing Brockers to Dorsey and Jackson, as if he's doomed to failure because the two previous DTs from LSU have not fared well in the NFL. Brockers is a totally different guy whose success or failure will have nothing to do with the guys who were there before him.
                Point well taken. I was just bringing to light the last few LSU DL that were taken high in the draft haven't panned out. I could say the same thing about a lot of positions at certain schools where the recent success rates haven't been there. Just was an observation, but thanks for your opinion!

Comment

• k-oneputt
                  • Jun 2009

Anyone can bust for a variety of reasons.
                  Team situation that drafts you, coaching, injuries, character.
                  Thus moot point.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
                    T Long,

Anyone with the readers digest version..

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by T-Long
                      Point well taken. I was just bringing to light the last few LSU DL that were taken high in the draft haven't panned out. I could say the same thing about a lot of positions at certain schools where the recent success rates haven't been there. Just was an observation, but thanks for your opinion!
                      Maybe it has more to do with KC than it does LSU.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                        • Sep 2009

Mayock on Coples: "Bust potential is high. If I'm a GM, I wouldn't take him in the first and possibly not even in the second. I recognize the talent, but I'm having trouble finding any tape I actually like"

Continues..."If I'm at 20 and I'm the Titans and I need a pass rusher and Coples is on the board along with guys like McClellin, Chandler Jones, Mercilus - I look at those guys before I look at Coples"

That was from today.
                        Last edited by kingJofNYC; 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

I have no control over the slideshow piece. It is something that the owner of the site is currently using. I prefer the longer article without the slideshows as well, but I don't have a say in that. I write the article, the editors put it in the format they want on the site. I will relay the feedback b/c this just started about a month ago. Thanks!
                          Understood.

MSN.com started doing this a while ago with their articles so I stopped going to their site for news too.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

I'm surprised you didn't add Andrew Luck to that list. Despite his accolades, he has enormous bust potential. Besides him, there are at least 3 other Stanford players on the offensive side of the ball that could very well go in the first round Martin, DeCastro, and Fleener. Fleener a tight end, was Luck's go to receiver when things broke down. Martin, and DeCastro were a part of a pretty well put together offensive line.

I'm just wondering if he wasn't just a product of a great system at Stanford. It's something he won't have in Indy which looks a lot like an expansion team right now. We are inevitably going to find out how Luck handles the extremes of following in the footsteps of an Indy legend, and a level of adversity I don't know if he's faced before.

Andrew Luck is under the most pressure of any draft pick this year to succeed out of the starting gate. Even though his potential is probably the greatest since John Elway, his bust potential in my opinion is as equally great. Like Buddy Nix always says, " drafting a prospect is only 1/3rd of the process".
                            Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• capitolneal
                              • Sep 2003

2 of those guys wont b drafted in first round

Comment

Working...
                              X