X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

What worries me about Fitzpatrick in 2012

Last year it was obvious that defenses struggled to keep pace league wide. There were more 400 plus passing yard games by QBs last year than ever in NFL history. We all watched astounding numbers get put up even by backup QB's like Green Bay's Matt Flynn vs Detroit (518 yards, 6tds). Cam Newton, widely criticized by scouts during the 2011 draft had one of the best rookie seasons ever by a QB. Even Fitzpatrick wasn't immune to it, putting up probably the best season of his NFL career statistically.

Now, here is what worries me. Unlike last year due to the lockout, this year defenses will have the benefit of a full regiment of off season training to get prepared for the 2012 season with mini camps, OTA's, and pre-season. I don't think we are likely to see that kind of offensive production again this coming year. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm just worried about nothing at all, and Fitzpatrick will have another great year, or even, dare I say, "a winning one". But, if gut feeling is right, Fitzpatrick could be in for a long year. I'm not usually one to cast veils of despair over hope here at Bills Zone. I'm usually a very optimistic person. It's just in my nature to always look at the bright side of any given situation. With that being said let's hope that newly found Bills defense is all that we hope it can be. JMO

Feel free to comment. Maybe I'm completely off base, or someone can change my mind here.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: What worries me about Fitzpatrick in 2012

This could be Fitz's last season anyhow and I do NOT hate the guy. His contract was set up to give the Bills a clean out with no cap hit after 2012.

The D needed to be redone to keep us in games first and foremost. The addition of Williams & Anderson, plus the expected draft picks (heavy on the D side) hopefully will solidify that side of the ball.

After 2012, QB will be the major focus, IMO. Fitz will be graded and if 2012 is deemed subpar, he'll be replaced due to the terms of his contract. I'm sure another WR & maybe a 2nd TE will arrive this coming draft. They'll give him more help and Jackson,Spiller,Johnson,Chandler & Nelson is a good start.

Bills may be picking a QB in the middle rounds this April and will add another if Fitz doesn't return next season. He's playing for the remainder of his contract, little doubt.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I'd like to see how he performs for a full season without having to deal with an injury.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Fitz is still a bit of an unknown as far as whether he can be all we need at QB long term. However, he's far from a major issue on this team and probably should be looked at as a solid starter now and for the near future.

I will be very happy if a Fitz led team makes the playoffs. But do I think he may limit our ability to get to and win a Super Bowl? Yes I still have that fear.

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

Very good thoughts...

My fear with Fitz isn't necessarily that the league will have adjusted defensively but that he simply won't be able to find that rhythm he had in the first handful of games. That said, I'm not sure he has to. If we use our weapons properly, and I really think we will, this team won't have to score 30 to win games. Fitz can be a hybrid game manager/win a game on your own QB finishing somewhere in the middle of the pack and we should still be a playoff team, especially if we have a productive draft. The injury thing is huge though, and while I've been resting on the belief that the rib was the reason Fitz fell off the charts so drastically, that could turn out not to be the case. I still think we'll get pre-Skins Fitz for the most part, but this is one I could definitely see being wrong on.

As for the long-term, its really hard to say if OBD is thinking about someone else in 2013. I think ideally Nix and Gailey would like to see Fitz be the QB next season and they don't want to think past that. It'll be telling if they grab a QB in the 1st 3 rounds though, as you'd have to think they'd be more likely to think change sooner than later if that's the case.

Comment

• Cali512
            • Jan 2012

Im just happy we finally got someone to consistantly get 20+ tds, and 3000+ yds. It was pathetic with Edwards and Losman having seasons were we were excited over 2500 yds and 9 TDs.
            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Absolutely legitimate thoughts. Though it should be noted that conversely, Fitzpatrick will have a full offseason as well to prepare as starter.

I am concerned as well because the month of September was especially good for offenses (I'm not sure it was a coincidence that that's the month we did so well), since defenses were behind.

This will be a telling year. As much as I believe we are in desperate need of better OT's and better WR's, I don't feel there are going to be excuses for Fitzpatrick, especially if we help both of those positions in the draft.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Blacksheep71
                Veteran Zoner
                • Mar 2011

Personally I am tired of taking 'developmental' prospects that don't develop. Added to the fact we are changing our defensive alignment and we have a lot of players to add.

For me we need to Fitz help either on Day1 or Day2 someone who can reliably catch the ball. As for protection, I think this is a weak class with Kalil being head and shoulders above the rest and then the others representing possible reaches at No10. I'd rather go BPA, someone guaranteed to be a Day1 starter and then look at more specific needs in the rest of the draft such as WR, CB, LBs etc, depending on who we go with at No10.

Recent trends seem to be that when you take a QB in R1, you either draft a) a target or b) protection.

If we miss the playoffs next year I can see us targetting a QB followed by an OT.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

you can say the same thing about Fitz and the O. They will have a full OTa and camp to improve on whatnthey've done last year. Hopefully they also stay healthy.

they good thing is that with an improved D, we may not have to keep throwing the ball because we're behind. Fitz is not a qb you want to rely on to win us games.
                  Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

if the d holds up, this is the year of fitz. he either proves he is ok to guide a balanced team or he shows he's no good.

if the defense still struggles, then we are still just stuck with a bad team.

if he's no good, the contract is easy to get out of and a new guy is going to be picked to manage this team into the playoffs and beyond.

and don't forget the AFC east just looks pathetic right now with the exception of the pats, but the pats are showing signs of cracks. they lucked their way into the superbowl. baltimore should have been there, and a team with a mad pass rush got to brady again.

So things are looking to be in the bills favor.

Comment

• Thurmal
                      • Oct 2005

He is average, nothing more.
                      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512
                        Im just happy we finally got someone to consistantly get 20+ tds, and 3000+ yds.
                        That's a low bar.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• acehole
                          • Jan 2006

He was injured. -

Another year in system. +

We lost some game by a few points.. -

Better defense will put less pressure on him not more. +

He will be fine (No injuries) for next year. +

He will have at least one maybe two more toys after draft. +

We do need to start planning for the future...the future is now.

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                          Last year it was obvious that defenses struggled to keep pace league wide. There were more 400 plus passing yard games by QBs last year than ever in NFL history. We all watched astounding numbers get put up even by backup QB's like Green Bay's Matt Flynn vs Detroit (518 yards, 6tds). Cam Newton, widely criticized by scouts during the 2011 draft had one of the best rookie seasons ever by a QB. Even Fitzpatrick wasn't immune to it, putting up probably the best season of his NFL career statistically.

Now, here is what worries me. Unlike last year due to the lockout, this year defenses will have the benefit of a full regiment of off season training to get prepared for the 2012 season with mini camps, OTA's, and pre-season. I don't think we are likely to see that kind of offensive production again this coming year. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm just worried about nothing at all, and Fitzpatrick will have another great year, or even, dare I say, "a winning one". But, if gut feeling is right, Fitzpatrick could be in for a long year. I'm not usually one to cast veils of despair over hope here at Bills Zone. I'm usually a very optimistic person. It's just in my nature to always look at the bright side of any given situation. With that being said let's hope that newly found Bills defense is all that we hope it can be. JMO

Feel free to comment. Maybe I'm completely off base, or someone can change my mind here.
                          Hated by the stupid..
                          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Absolutely a make or break year for Fitz.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Everything.

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247

Comment

Working...
                              X