• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacksheep71
    Veteran Zoner
    • Mar 2011

Who could we draft at No10?

or more a case of who won't we draft might be a better question.

For the first time, I can see an argument for every single position on the roster, and only the weakness in quality at certain positions mean they won't get taken.

There are no S or TE worthy of being taken at No10. But after that ....

Interior Linemen: Despite having Levitre, Wood, Urbik and Rinehart, DeCastro is considered a can't miss prospect ... and Glenn could be pushed outside. Any one of our existing interior linemen could become trade bait and moved.

Offensive Tackles: Clearly a need and neither Reiff or Martin would represent a major reach as we've seen with other players at this position in previous drafts.

Quarterback: Tannehill possibly could slide here, and whilst I don't think he deserves to go this high, such is the premium on QBs that deeps reach. Who'd have thought Ponder would have been a No12 pick.

Wide Receiver: Blackmon won't be here but Floyd will and based on his senior season, he won't represent a reach either. A partner for Johnson would upgrade our passing game.

Running Back: Fred Jackson isn't getting any younger and Spiller is too light to carry the load. What would we do if we are on the clock and Richardson is sat there?

Defensive Tackle: We are set with Dareus and K.Williams, but behind them the depth is a little shallow especially if we rotate heavily. Carrington and Troup have yet to show a great deal. Someone like Brockers or Cox could be enticing.

Defensive End: Despite signing Mario and Anderson, pass rush was very weak last year. Anderson has also had a very mixed career. We have some youngsters like Batten and Gilbert but none proven. Someone like Ingram or Coples would revolutionise this position. I know some question Coples effort; I admire his honesty in admitting he took some plays off especially as he was being constantly double team yet still produced decent stats.

Linebacker: With Sheppard, Barnett and Morrison in place it doesn't look like a need but in my opinion Kuechly as a MLB or SAM represent as close to a can't miss prospect in this draft and would allow us to enter the season wit great depth.

Cornerback: A need, but Claiborne might slide. Do we reach for a Kirkpatrick, Gilmore or Jenkins, try to trade down or discover there are no suitable players when Round 2 rolls around.

Personally I keep thinking I've worked out who we should draft, only to find myself arguing effectively for another position. And with the exception of Tannehill, I wouldn't say WTF to any of the positions being targetted.

Ultimately, I think Quinton Coples might be the surprise choice. When teams changed defensive alignments, they often go early and heavily at that position in the draft irrespective of who they sign in free agency. Take Miami when they switched to the 3-4 defense in 2008 - they spent heavily in free agency but also went after suitable players early in the draft. Though of course their No1 choice was Jake Long.
    Last edited by Blacksheep71; 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Who could we draft at No10?

You forgot Kicker & Punter, since you wish to see every position as a need.

Be true to your board and pick the best talent..yes, that is wise.

Also revisit your depth chart and view the glaring need at LT & CB.

One LT listed. Two 31 year old (McGee,Florence) starters at CB with McKelvin on the block. Need at least 2 more,if not 3. Doesn't matter where you pick them, just find them.

Yet conventional wisdom and the current available crop show it's slim pickings at LT, so expect 1 within the first 2 selections. CB's can be found in every round.

Lots of other positions can be visited with 10 picks to use. The above 2 are critical, IMO.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Blacksheep71
      Veteran Zoner
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Night Train
      You forgot Kicker & Punter, since you wish to see every position as a need.

Be true to your board and pick the best talent..yes, that is wise.

Also revisit your depth chart and view the glaring need at LT & CB.

One LT listed. Two 31 year old (McGee,Florence) starters at CB with McKelvin on the block. Need at least 2 more,if not 3. Doesn't matter where you pick them, just find them.

Yet conventional wisdom and the current available crop show it's slim pickings at LT, so expect 1 within the first 2 selections. CB's can be found in every round.

Lots of other positions can be visited with 10 picks to use. The above 2 are critical, IMO.
      I actually think despite the signing of Mario and Anderson, that DE is still a need. If we were to pick Coples we could use him in much the same way as the Giants use Justin Tuck, as he is big enough and strong enough to play inside. The opposition won't know who to block and certainly will end up single blocking someone who needs to be double teamed. I've always though every secondary is improved if the DL ahead of them is terrifying.

With LT, I am not sure that beyond Kalil, that they represent much of an upgrade over Hairston. We might find ourselves looking for a Michael Roos type from a small school, going a couple of rounds earlier than expected and becoming a solid starter.

As for CB, I think there are several between R2 and R5 that we could look at and bag a couple.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Whoever we take at #10 has to be a Day 1 starter. Period.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

While WR, CB and OT are bigger need Kuechely is a very enticing pick. With our front four he would be a beast of a linebacker. Nobody would be able to run on the Bills.

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

The more and more I think about it we are going to grab a OT.
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Blacksheep71
              I actually think despite the signing of Mario and Anderson, that DE is still a need. If we were to pick Coples we could use him in much the same way as the Giants use Justin Tuck, as he is big enough and strong enough to play inside. The opposition won't know who to block and certainly will end up single blocking someone who needs to be double teamed. I've always though every secondary is improved if the DL ahead of them is terrifying.

With LT, I am not sure that beyond Kalil, that they represent much of an upgrade over Hairston. We might find ourselves looking for a Michael Roos type from a small school, going a couple of rounds earlier than expected and becoming a solid starter.

As for CB, I think there are several between R2 and R5 that we could look at and bag a couple.
              Coples will not be used inside.
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                Whoever we take at #10 has to be a Day 1 starter. Period.
                And they have to be productive.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by don137
                  While WR, CB and OT are bigger need Kuechely is a very enticing pick. With our front four he would be a beast of a linebacker. Nobody would be able to run on the Bills.
                  IMO, the Bills already have an inside LB, Sheppard.

Comment

• Mindbender
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by better days
                    IMO, the Bills already have an inside LB, Sheppard.
                    Isn't he a two down player though? I believe Kuechly projects to be a Barnett type player? Someone me out here. Not sure where I was reading this. I LOVE draft season.
                    "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mindbender
                      Isn't he a two down player though? I believe Kuechly projects to be a Barnett type player? Someone me out here. Not sure where I was reading this. I LOVE draft season.
                      I would think on obvious passing situations on 3rd down, the Bills would play a nickle defense anyway.

Comment

• dannyek71
                        Drink Responsibly
                        • Dec 2004

I think we are going to draft a holder in R1. Yes, that's right, the guy who holds the ball on PAT and FGs.
                        [

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

I think we could draft anyone who hasnt been drafted yet, but thats just me.

Comment

• JCBills
                            • Jan 2010

Lol, DeCosta and Gilborne.

Are these like scientifically created fusions of two players?

Comment

• Ed
                              • Sep 2002

I think the Bills really like Floyd and if he's there at 10 then he's the likely pick. Otherwise I think they'll work hard to try and trade down and pick up an extra 2nd-4th round pick where they see a lot of depth and value.

And I would have no problem if we took Coples at 10. We really don't know what we have in Anderson and Merriman is a big question mark right now too. And if Mario Williams gets hurt then we're back to the same old same old with Chris Kelsay. It's not like having depth at DE is a bad thing and those guys all rotate, so even if he doesn't start right away he's still going to see plenty of snaps. Let's not get complacent just because we signed Mario. I want this D-line to be scary good for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X