PDA

View Full Version : Who could we draft at No10?

Blacksheep71
04-12-2012, 04:09 AM
or more a case of who won't we draft might be a better question.

For the first time, I can see an argument for every single position on the roster, and only the weakness in quality at certain positions mean they won't get taken.

There are no S or TE worthy of being taken at No10. But after that ....

Interior Linemen: Despite having Levitre, Wood, Urbik and Rinehart, DeCastro is considered a can't miss prospect ... and Glenn could be pushed outside. Any one of our existing interior linemen could become trade bait and moved.

Offensive Tackles: Clearly a need and neither Reiff or Martin would represent a major reach as we've seen with other players at this position in previous drafts.

Quarterback: Tannehill possibly could slide here, and whilst I don't think he deserves to go this high, such is the premium on QBs that deeps reach. Who'd have thought Ponder would have been a No12 pick.

Wide Receiver: Blackmon won't be here but Floyd will and based on his senior season, he won't represent a reach either. A partner for Johnson would upgrade our passing game.

Running Back: Fred Jackson isn't getting any younger and Spiller is too light to carry the load. What would we do if we are on the clock and Richardson is sat there?

Defensive Tackle: We are set with Dareus and K.Williams, but behind them the depth is a little shallow especially if we rotate heavily. Carrington and Troup have yet to show a great deal. Someone like Brockers or Cox could be enticing.

Defensive End: Despite signing Mario and Anderson, pass rush was very weak last year. Anderson has also had a very mixed career. We have some youngsters like Batten and Gilbert but none proven. Someone like Ingram or Coples would revolutionise this position. I know some question Coples effort; I admire his honesty in admitting he took some plays off especially as he was being constantly double team yet still produced decent stats.

Linebacker: With Sheppard, Barnett and Morrison in place it doesn't look like a need but in my opinion Kuechly as a MLB or SAM represent as close to a can't miss prospect in this draft and would allow us to enter the season wit great depth.

Cornerback: A need, but Claiborne might slide. Do we reach for a Kirkpatrick, Gilmore or Jenkins, try to trade down or discover there are no suitable players when Round 2 rolls around.

Personally I keep thinking I've worked out who we should draft, only to find myself arguing effectively for another position. And with the exception of Tannehill, I wouldn't say WTF to any of the positions being targetted.

Ultimately, I think Quinton Coples might be the surprise choice. When teams changed defensive alignments, they often go early and heavily at that position in the draft irrespective of who they sign in free agency. Take Miami when they switched to the 3-4 defense in 2008 - they spent heavily in free agency but also went after suitable players early in the draft. Though of course their No1 choice was Jake Long.

Night Train
04-12-2012, 04:40 AM
You forgot Kicker & Punter, since you wish to see every position as a need. :up:

Be true to your board and pick the best talent..yes, that is wise.

Also revisit your depth chart and view the glaring need at LT & CB.

One LT listed. Two 31 year old (McGee,Florence) starters at CB with McKelvin on the block. Need at least 2 more,if not 3. Doesn't matter where you pick them, just find them.

Yet conventional wisdom and the current available crop show it's slim pickings at LT, so expect 1 within the first 2 selections. CB's can be found in every round.

Lots of other positions can be visited with 10 picks to use. The above 2 are critical, IMO.

Blacksheep71
04-12-2012, 04:49 AM
You forgot Kicker & Punter, since you wish to see every position as a need. :up:

Be true to your board and pick the best talent..yes, that is wise.

Also revisit your depth chart and view the glaring need at LT & CB.

One LT listed. Two 31 year old (McGee,Florence) starters at CB with McKelvin on the block. Need at least 2 more,if not 3. Doesn't matter where you pick them, just find them.

Yet conventional wisdom and the current available crop show it's slim pickings at LT, so expect 1 within the first 2 selections. CB's can be found in every round.

Lots of other positions can be visited with 10 picks to use. The above 2 are critical, IMO.

I actually think despite the signing of Mario and Anderson, that DE is still a need. If we were to pick Coples we could use him in much the same way as the Giants use Justin Tuck, as he is big enough and strong enough to play inside. The opposition won't know who to block and certainly will end up single blocking someone who needs to be double teamed. I've always though every secondary is improved if the DL ahead of them is terrifying.

With LT, I am not sure that beyond Kalil, that they represent much of an upgrade over Hairston. We might find ourselves looking for a Michael Roos type from a small school, going a couple of rounds earlier than expected and becoming a solid starter.

As for CB, I think there are several between R2 and R5 that we could look at and bag a couple.

YardRat
04-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Whoever we take at #10 has to be a Day 1 starter. Period.

don137
04-12-2012, 06:45 AM
While WR, CB and OT are bigger need Kuechely is a very enticing pick. With our front four he would be a beast of a linebacker. Nobody would be able to run on the Bills.

tampabay25690
04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
The more and more I think about it we are going to grab a OT.

tampabay25690
04-12-2012, 07:10 AM
I actually think despite the signing of Mario and Anderson, that DE is still a need. If we were to pick Coples we could use him in much the same way as the Giants use Justin Tuck, as he is big enough and strong enough to play inside. The opposition won't know who to block and certainly will end up single blocking someone who needs to be double teamed. I've always though every secondary is improved if the DL ahead of them is terrifying.

With LT, I am not sure that beyond Kalil, that they represent much of an upgrade over Hairston. We might find ourselves looking for a Michael Roos type from a small school, going a couple of rounds earlier than expected and becoming a solid starter.

As for CB, I think there are several between R2 and R5 that we could look at and bag a couple.

Coples will not be used inside.

jamze132
04-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Whoever we take at #10 has to be a Day 1 starter. Period.
And they have to be productive.

better days
04-12-2012, 08:23 AM
While WR, CB and OT are bigger need Kuechely is a very enticing pick. With our front four he would be a beast of a linebacker. Nobody would be able to run on the Bills.

IMO, the Bills already have an inside LB, Sheppard.

Mindbender
04-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Isn't he a two down player though? I believe Kuechly projects to be a Barnett type player? Someone :help!: me out here. Not sure where I was reading this. I LOVE draft season.

better days
04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Isn't he a two down player though? I believe Kuechly projects to be a Barnett type player? Someone :help!: me out here. Not sure where I was reading this. I LOVE draft season.

I would think on obvious passing situations on 3rd down, the Bills would play a nickle defense anyway.

dannyek71
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I think we are going to draft a holder in R1. Yes, that's right, the guy who holds the ball on PAT and FGs.

Pinkerton Security
04-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I think we could draft anyone who hasnt been drafted yet, but thats just me.

JCBills
04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Lol, DeCosta and Gilborne.

Are these like scientifically created fusions of two players?

Ed
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I think the Bills really like Floyd and if he's there at 10 then he's the likely pick. Otherwise I think they'll work hard to try and trade down and pick up an extra 2nd-4th round pick where they see a lot of depth and value.

And I would have no problem if we took Coples at 10. We really don't know what we have in Anderson and Merriman is a big question mark right now too. And if Mario Williams gets hurt then we're back to the same old same old with Chris Kelsay. It's not like having depth at DE is a bad thing and those guys all rotate, so even if he doesn't start right away he's still going to see plenty of snaps. Let's not get complacent just because we signed Mario. I want this D-line to be scary good for years to come.

Blacksheep71
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Coples will not be used inside.

Why not?

The Giants move Tuck inside on some passing downs, and Couples at 284lbs has the size to occasionally move inside. I'm not talking about him permanently playing there, just having the versatility to show different looks to the opposition during the game. Another team who use a DE in this fashion are the Bears with Henry Melton.

Night Train
04-12-2012, 10:29 AM

He can play outside also but point taken. OLB David or ILB/OLB Wagner in Round 2 would also fill a OLB starting spot, If LT is pick #1.

better days
04-12-2012, 10:50 AM
He can play outside also but point taken. OLB David or ILB/OLB Wagner in Round 2 would also fill a OLB starting spot, If LT is pick #1.

The question is would he be better inside or outside? If he would make a great ILB but only an average OLB, why would you want to play him outside?

Billsouth
04-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I think we are going to draft a holder in R1. Yes, that's right, the guy who holds the ball on PAT and FGs.

if we did that we would be sure to get the best holder available in the draft!

tampabay25690
04-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Why not?

The Giants move Tuck inside on some passing downs, and Couples at 284lbs has the size to occasionally move inside. I'm not talking about him permanently playing there, just having the versatility to show different looks to the opposition during the game. Another team who use a DE in this fashion are the Bears with Henry Melton.

He is longer then tuck is.
Tuck is more stout

CleveSteve
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM

So... Tannehill then?

psubills62
04-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Coples is obviously a good player, but I have two issues with that pick: 1) supposedly has problems giving 100% effort - don't believe that's something Buffalo appreciates, 2) his upside is really capped, being an LDE, since we signed Mario Williams. Coples will at best provide depth over the length of his first contract.

If Richardson is there at 10, chances seem to be good that we'll have trade offers to move down at that point.

Blacksheep71
04-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Coples is obviously a good player, but I have two issues with that pick: 1) supposedly has problems giving 100% effort - don't believe that's something Buffalo appreciates, 2) his upside is really capped, being an LDE, since we signed Mario Williams. Coples will at best provide depth over the length of his first contract.

If Richardson is there at 10, chances seem to be good that we'll have trade offers to move down at that point.

With Coples, I've read he can play RE, because he does have sufficient speed, he can turn the corner, unlike a number of other DEs he already has a repetoire of draft moves, but unlike other contenders he's got the size to really battle with the bigger LTs.

As for his effort, he's acknowledged that he spent the season with the thought of avoiding injury in the back of his mind, especially as he didn't come out after his 10sack season, and was concerned at a similar situation to Bowers who was a Top5 selection who slid to No51.

I think his effort/motor is being overplayed. He was used differently by the coaches and because his stats didn't climb, people draw an instant conclusion.

The Bears would take Coples and put him opposite left end Peppers - I fail to understand what would prevent us from doing the same. He's a similar size and athletic ability to Idonije who has thrived opposite Julius? And can you imagine teams facing Mario if he's coming from the right hand side? A 295lbs right end who can run a sub 4.70?

You stick Coples and Mario together and any offensive will likely have to either double teamed them or take that risk and even if they are both double team then you've got Dareus or Kyle hunting the QB.

I like the idea of being able to flip flop DEs over, constantly challenging the opponents OTs

psubills62
04-13-2012, 09:02 AM
With Coples, I've read he can play RE, because he does have sufficient speed, he can turn the corner, unlike a number of other DEs he already has a repetoire of draft moves, but unlike other contenders he's got the size to really battle with the bigger LTs.

As for his effort, he's acknowledged that he spent the season with the thought of avoiding injury in the back of his mind, especially as he didn't come out after his 10sack season, and was concerned at a similar situation to Bowers who was a Top5 selection who slid to No51.

I think his effort/motor is being overplayed. He was used differently by the coaches and because his stats didn't climb, people draw an instant conclusion.

The Bears would take Coples and put him opposite left end Peppers - I fail to understand what would prevent us from doing the same. He's a similar size and athletic ability to Idonije who has thrived opposite Julius? And can you imagine teams facing Mario if he's coming from the right hand side? A 295lbs right end who can run a sub 4.70?

You stick Coples and Mario together and any offensive will likely have to either double teamed them or take that risk and even if they are both double team then you've got Dareus or Kyle hunting the QB.

I like the idea of being able to flip flop DEs over, constantly challenging the opponents OTs
If he can indeed play RDE, then he'd be more attractive. The key will be if the Bills think he can play RDE.

Honestly, the fact that he admitted he wanted to avoid injury is a huge red flag to me, and hurts his case. Is the same thing going to happen those couple of years just before his contract is up? Have to imagine it will.

Do you have any evidence that the Bears would select him and put him opposite Peppers? And I'd rather keep Mario at LDE, given that he has said he's more comfortable there. It is possible we could rotate guys at RDE - put Coples in to stop the run and Anderson the pass (in general).

I like the idea of getting a stud RDE to complete our DL, just not sure Coples fits that.