PDA

View Full Version : Gruden on Bills qb's and the Draft...

acehole
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article806510.ece

"Osweiler, who's leaving Arizona State a year early, is the biggest. He measures 6-foot-7 with "a rocket arm and better-than-average mobility," according to Gruden.

There are some concerns, however, starting with experience. Osweiler started just 15 games with the Sun Devils, who lost their last five games of the season.

"He's playing in an offense where he's basically a read-option style quarterback. You never see a lot of pure drops at Arizona State," Gruden said. "But what you do know is you have an intelligent 6-7 quarterback that can make a lot of throws. He's tough. He's smart and he really wants to be great. Those are some things that you want to develop, obviously. When you team a quarterback with [Bills coach] Chan Gailey, usually the quarterback is going to be put in premier situations, so I do like Osweiler."......

jamze132
04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
I like him to in the 3rd round but not sure if he'll be there.

Pinkerton Security
04-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Id rather grab Wilson in the 4th or 5th, thats just me though...I always think that QBs who arent drafted high because they are "too short" can be a real steal. If a QB can play, they can play, just look at Brees. Hes obviously the exception to the rule but I think lack of height CAN be overcome.

better days
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Id rather grab Wilson in the 4th or 5th, thats just me though...I always think that QBs who arent drafted high because they are "too short" can be a real steal. If a QB can play, they can play, just look at Brees. Hes obviously the exception to the rule but I think lack of height CAN be overcome.

I agree, I would rather draft Wilson who has had great production than a tall guy with little experience & very little production like Osweiler.

elltrain22
04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I see some team reaching either late in the 1st or early in the 2nd for Osweiler.

better days
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I see some team reaching either late in the 1st or early in the 2nd for Osweiler.

I hope you are right. That would leave another good player for the Bills to pick from in the 2nd rnd.

Skooby
04-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Draft fodder.

Buffalo Thriller
04-12-2012, 09:42 AM

No thanks, I dont want a QB that im as tall as.

Pinkerton Security
04-12-2012, 09:49 AM
No thanks, I dont want a QB that im as tall as. well thats my point...again Brees is the exception to the rule more than a norm but hes only 6'0, and that's his listed height. If you are a good enough QB, height doesnt necessarily mean you cant play in the NFL and do well.

Besides that, Osweiler ran a one-read offense in college and didnt have amazing numbers.

FlyingDutchman
04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Im really hoping for Wilson, or Kellen Moore in the later rounds. I think Moore will be a sleeper

Ed
04-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I've heard that Osweiler has a low release/side arm motion, which negates some of his height advantage.

PTI
04-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Almost all these QBs are going to go before the Bills pick in the 3rd round. Pittsburgh and Green Bay and Philly are all in good spots to take many of these QBs too, and can let them sit for 2 plus years, just like New England did last year.

k-oneputt
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
The games I watched Osweiler he wasn't very accurate and his passes seemed to sail on him.
He needs a team were he can sit and learn for at least a couple of years.

Blacksheep71
04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
B J Coleman is a prospect I'd prefer and could well be there in the 5th round

Buffalogic
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Pass. He was garbage at asu and all that offense did was throw sideways to hide how bad he is.

Bill Cody
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree, I would rather draft Wilson who has had great production than a tall guy with little experience & very little production like Osweiler.

Not me

alohabillsfan
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Dont waste a draft pick on QB in rounds 3,4,5 use them for actual players that will help the team.

Buffalogic
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
hey cool avatar buffalo thriller, nice job

YardRat
04-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Pass on Osweiler, Wilson and Moore.

I'd rather take a chance on Lindley or Foles.

Bert102176
04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I would take Osweiler in the 2nd I think he is gonna be something special in a year or 2

Extremebillsfan247
04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Taller than average QB's usually don't fare well in the NFL. There is a pretty big list of failing QB's in that size range. Osweiler is going to have a problem convincing teams that he is different from the Dan McGwire's of footballs past. His lack of experience at the position doesn't help his case much. How any team would even risk a 3rd round pick on him is beyond me. JMO

acehole
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Taller than average QB's usually don't fare well in the NFL. There is a pretty big list of failing QB's in that size range. Osweiler is going to have a problem convincing teams that he is different from the Dan McGwire's of footballs past. His lack of experience at the position doesn't help his case much. How any team would even risk a 3rd round pick on him is beyond me. JMO

I actually agree with this..... But. They Want a guy who will sit for two to three years.. Fitz is their guy ....they paid him, the guys are behind him. This guy needs and will be well groomed. Everybody will know who the starter is.... This guys has all the intangibles all the measurements but as you said he is green. That make him the perfect gaily pick inho. Big Ben did fine and he somewhat fits the mold without the 24 hour boner.

TigerJ
04-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Osweiler's background would bother me as a Bills pick if Buffalo were depending on Osweiler starting this season. I figure Fitzpatrick is going to be the starter at least one more season, and you can probably add a second season on to that. By then, Osweiler, being an intelligent QB who's driven to succeed, will have had ample time to learn a more sophisticated offensive system.

acehole
04-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Osweiler's background would bother me as a Bills pick if Buffalo were depending on Osweiler starting this season. I figure Fitzpatrick is going to be the starter at least one more season, and you can probably add a second season on to that. By then, Osweiler, being an intelligent QB who's driven to succeed, will have had ample time to learn a more sophisticated offensive system.

YEs I like the way I said it better but yea...

PTI
04-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Completely disagree. In the past when thhey were taller than the average, then yes. AS a whole, QBs are all getting bigger, just like every other position. It is only natural at this point for a QB to be 6'7". Eli is 6'5", Flacco is 6'6", Rivers is over 6'5", Freeman is 6'5", Newton is 6'5", Rothlisberger is 6'5", Schaub is 6'5", Skelton is 6'6", Jason Campbell is 6'5", Carson Palmer is 6'5", I am trying to wonder what is considered to actually be average for a QB at this point, because they are all getting huge. I think teams being afraid a guy is too tall like Dan McGwire is completely off the radar and if that thought is it completely makes no sense at this point of how big these other guys are and how big they are getting and they are getting bigger all the time.

YardRat
04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I think the average (for starters) right now is about 6'3".

PTI
04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I think the average (for starters) right now is about 6'3".

Getting bigger every year, I bet it is 6'5" within 10 years. The mean, median, and mode will all be different, but without a doubt I don't see how discounting a guy because he us 6'7" from 20 years ago is a smart way to go about determining a guy's success.

better days
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Getting bigger every year, I bet it is 6'5" within 10 years. The mean, median, and mode will all be different, but without a doubt I don't see how discounting a guy because he us 6'7" from 20 years ago is a smart way to go about determining a guy's success.

Is it possible for a guy 6'7" to have success in the NFL? I would say yes. But I think it is just as possible for a guy under 6' to have success. I would take Wilson with his skills, experience & production in College over Osweiler myself.

PTI
04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Is it possible for a guy 6'7" to have success in the NFL? I would say yes. But I think it is just as possible for a guy under 6' to have success. I would take Wilson with his skills, experience & production in College over Osweiler myself.

I am fine 100% with what you said, but the trend most certainly is bigger is better and has more of a chance for success, not sure that is even up for debate, it is the truth.

better days
04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
I am fine 100% with what you said, but the trend most certainly is bigger is better and has more of a chance for success, not sure that is even up for debate, it is the truth.

I agree & if Osweiler could match the skills, & production Wilson had, I would take him over Wilson because of his size. But you should not draft on size alone IMO.