• Show
Clear All
  • oldno711
    • Mar 2004

Schefter on the Bills trading up for Kalil

Vikes not sold on Kalil?
    1:58PM ET
    Minnesota Vikings

There has been a near consensus that the Minnesota Vikings' first-round pick will be used to take USC OT Matt Kalil, but nothing is a certainty until the pick is actually read by the commissioner on the night of Apr. 26. And our own NFL Insider Adam Schefter isn't so sure that the Vikes are entirely sold on Kalil.

There are some scenarios where Kalil is not taken third overall -- either the Vikings take someone else or trade with a team that is targeting Ryan Tannehill, for example -- and this could potentially open the door for the Buffalo Bills, should they be interested in trading up a few spots from No. 10 overall to nab him:
    - Tim Kavanagh

Adam Schefter

Kalil could be a Bill

Q: Hey Adam! I've always been a huge fan of what you do, thanks for all the hard work! Can you see the Buffalo Bills trading up if Matt Kalil falls or possibly drafting Luke Kuechly or David DeCastro? The value for LT (clearly their most pressing need) just does not seem there at 10. Thanks!
    -- Jake (New York)
    A: Thank you for writing, Jake, I appreciate your kind words. It could be that Kalil falls and if Buffalo wants to go trade up to No. 5 (Tampa Bay) or No. 6 (St. Louis), those teams would be all ears in terms of listening to offers. If Buffalo stays where it is, the sense around the league is that the Bills will have their choice between Kuechly or DeCastro and other good players who will be available at that spot. But I like your Kalil idea, Jake. It makes sense to me. The key to that would be Minnesota passing on Kalil, which I happen to believe the Vikings will. I'm in the minority there, and the Vikings are still deciding what to do, but I don't think Kalil is the lock that others do -- even if Minnesota stays at No. 3.
  • k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: Schefter on the Bills trading up for Kalil

I would be all for trading up for Kalil.

Comment

• Ed
      • Sep 2002

I heard McShay saying something on Mike and Mike this morning about the Vikings wanting to trade out of the #3 spot and Kalil not being a lock there. Todd, Mike, and Mike all questioned why the Vikings wouldn't want Kalil at 3 because he seems like a perfect fit for them, but it's starting to sound like maybe the Vikings aren't as sold on Kalil as everyone else seems to think they are or should be.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Sounds to me like one more of the countless talking heads trying to stir a pot to keep his hide in the mix.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• oldno711
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by stuckincincy
          Sounds to me like one more of the countless talking heads trying to stir a pot to keep his hide in the mix.
          i think something like this is definitely within the realm of possibility. if the vikings pass on kalil and/or trade the pick, i could see him drop ...not far, but far enough that trading up for him would certainly be an option...

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

What would we have to give up? moving from #10 to #5 is quite a bit..

Comment

• oldno711
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ed
              I heard McShay saying something on Mike and Mike this morning about the Vikings wanting to trade out of the #3 spot and Kalil not being a lock there. Todd, Mike, and Mike all questioned why the Vikings wouldn't want Kalil at 3 because he seems like a perfect fit for them, but it's starting to sound like maybe the Vikings aren't as sold on Kalil as everyone else seems to think they are or should be.
              it sounds to me like they just think there's better value to be had at #3...in the form of additional picks

Comment

• oldno711
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                What would we have to give up? moving from #10 to #5 is quite a bit..
                according to this chart (don't know anything about this site, but it appears this guy took a stab at reevaluating the draft picks based on the new rookie wage scale), it looks like a move from 10 to 6 would cost us our 3rd rounder

Comment

• Jersey1031
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by oldno711
                  according to this chart (don't know anything about this site, but it appears this guy took a stab at reevaluating the draft picks based on the new rookie wage scale), it looks like a move from 10 to 6 would cost us our 3rd rounder

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology321.php
                  There's no way it would just be a 3rd... or we'd already be at 6.
                  "I'm cold, yeah I get my BUFFALO BILL on!" Lil' Wayne

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

So now they think someone would trade up to #3 for Tannehill?

Amazing how the media takes a mid 2nd rounder and pushes them to the top 3.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

It has nothing to do with the media, it's the position.

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                        It has nothing to do with the media, it's the position.
                        Right, which has everything to do with the media.

Because of the position, they will overhype it.

Then, only 3 things can really happen.

1. A team takes him earlier than expected.
                        2. A team takes him about where he was expected to go.
                        3. The player "slides" according to the media because team scouts know better than them.

There could be a draft class with no legit starter QB prospects in it and they would try to hype whoever the best of the heap was into a top 10 pick.

Comment

• BillsLunaticEZE
                          • Feb 2012

I think them not wanting Khalil also has to do with the fact OT don't sell tickets. Khalil is the best OT to come out since Joe Thomas.

Comment

• PTI
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2011

I think they take Blackmon, the WR, they need weapns for Ponder, and Harvin is small and has health issues.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

I don't know about six, but if Kalil gets to seven the phone will be burning up.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X