PDA

View Full Version : Russell Wilson

Mr. Miyagi
04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
After watching the Gruden camp on Wilson, and having been a Wisconsin Badger casual follower, I've moved from mildly impressed to minor man-crush on Russell Wilson. I think he has a lot of tools and intangibles and his unflappable calmness under pressure is a major plus.

If we can get him in the 3rd round, it's a big time steal. I may even trade back up to the mid to late 2nd round for him.

YardRat
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000qlPaSTXlgHk/s/750/750/Midget-FBall-1.jpg

The Jokeman
04-13-2012, 11:20 AM
After watching the Gruden camp on Wilson, and having been a Wisconsin Badger casual follower, I've moved from mildly impressed to minor man-crush on Russell Wilson. I think he has a lot of tools and intangibles and his unflappable calmness under pressure is a major plus.

If we can get him in the 3rd round, it's a big time steal. I may even trade back up to the mid to late 2nd round for him.
You're severly overvaluing him. I can't see him being taken any sooner than the 4th Round and that's even on the high scale. Right or wrong talent evaluators are going to judge Wilson on his stature which is going to move him down the draft board. We can all clamor on how great Flutie was but in reality he wasn't that great, I would say he was moderately above average, if you honestly evaluate his play. Not to mention he's the exception not the rule. So just because one guy can do it doesn't mean the next guy can. Personally I'd prefer the Bills let someone else take a chance on the next "little engine that could" as all too often the story's a better one than the actual production shown.

FlyingDutchman
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Been watching him since he was a starter for NC State. Count me in as having a man crush as well

Lone Stranger
04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I like him, also, but not before the 4th round.

better days
04-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I am a big Wilson fan as well, I would love him in the 4th rnd.

mayotm
04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I like him as well. He was very productive at NC State. The fact that he was able to step into a new system at Wisconsin and be even more productive is especially impressive.

Pinkerton Security
04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
You're severly overvaluing him. I can't see him being taken any sooner than the 4th Round and that's even on the high scale. Right or wrong talent evaluators are going to judge Wilson on his stature which is going to move him down the draft board. We can all clamor on how great Flutie was but in reality he wasn't that great, I would say he was moderately above average, if you honestly evaluate his play. Not to mention he's the exception not the rule. So just because one guy can do it doesn't mean the next guy can. Personally I'd prefer the Bills let someone else take a chance on the next "little engine that could" as all too often the story's a better one than the actual production shown.

I am also a fan of Wilsons and cant say that I think hes GOING to be an NFL star or anything, but I think hes an intriguing choice in the 4th round or later...while size at QB is somewhat important, I also think it is overvalued. I'd bet on Wilson succeeding more than I would Osweiler. I think most would rank Osweiler better in overall Qb build and arm strength, yet what do those things mean in the NFL at QB if you dont have the leadership and awareness? Nothing.

NFL Qb's that succeed almost ALWAYS succeed because of their ability to lead a team and understand defensive schemes, while height is simply a perk...thats just my opinion but I think its not far off.

THATHURMANATOR
04-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Isn't he someone that will be there in the 5th or 6th?

DraftBoy
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Doubtful.

THATHURMANATOR
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
:thurm2:
Doubtful.
Where do you see him going and how do you rate him?

I have no idea about him other than watching him a couple games.

PTI
04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
NFL Qb's that succeed almost ALWAYS succeed because of their ability to lead a team and understand defensive schemes, while height is simply a perk...thats just my opinion but I think its not far off.

I agree leading is huge, but not having height is a huge obstacle to overcome, it is not simply a perk, not with the size and ability these NFL players have today. You are really underestimating size and physical ability IMO.

better days
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I agree leading is huge, but not having height is a huge obstacle to overcome, it is not simply a perk, not with the size and ability these NFL players have today. You are really underestimating size and physical ability IMO.

Well, no question GMs view his size as a detriment. If he were 6'4", I think he would be in the conversation with Luck & RGIII as a top QB prospect.

DraftBoy
04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
:thurm2:
Where do you see him going and how do you rate him?

I have no idea about him other than watching him a couple games.

3rd-4th Round, I rate him as the #8 QB, #105 overall

Bill Cody
04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I am also a fan of Wilsons and cant say that I think hes GOING to be an NFL star or anything, but I think hes an intriguing choice in the 4th round or later...while size at QB is somewhat important, I also think it is overvalued. I'd bet on Wilson succeeding more than I would Osweiler. I think most would rank Osweiler better in overall Qb build and arm strength, yet what do those things mean in the NFL at QB if you dont have the leadership and awareness? Nothing.

Height is a "perk" for a QB like it is for a basketball player. It helps, plain and simple. You seem to be saying Osweiler does not have leadership and awareness. Based on what?

Mr. Miyagi
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I disagree with your ranking of QBs. I'd take Wilson over osweiler and Coleman anyday of the week. I do like Cousins though.

My biggest like on Wilson is that he doesn't choke. All the close games they lost were on the defense, after he comes through clutch and put them in position to win.

Bill Cody
04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, no question GMs view his size as a detriment. If he were 6'4", I think he would be in the conversation with Luck & RGIII as a top QB prospect.

It's a factor for sure.

There's really only 1 Drew Brees. Chop 4 inches off Peyton Manning and Brady and are they really close to the same players they are? They're both leaders, etc. But they'd be shorter leaders. And less effective.

Pinkerton Security
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Height is a "perk" for a QB like it is for a basketball player. It helps, plain and simple. You seem to be saying Osweiler does not have leadership and awareness. Based on what?

Im saying Wilson is known for his leadership, not necessarily saying Osweiler has none, Wilson just has a leg up in that area, at least according to most reports.

justasportsfan
04-13-2012, 01:34 PM
If Chan was able to do something with Jay Fiedler, so I can see Chan doing something with Russell

tampabay25690
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM

NO
looking like 3rd-4th now.

mysticsoto
04-13-2012, 01:49 PM
3rd-4th Round, I rate him as the #8 QB, #105 overall

This is where I have him also...which presents a problem, b'cse early 3rd might be a bit early, but by our 4th, he might be gone...

CleveSteve
04-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I felt the same way about Troy Smith as a lot of you do about wilson. Remember, Troy Smith's senior year he threw for 30 TDs and 5 INTs. All he did was win. He had a strong arm. He played tough opponents. He was a leader. And he never made a difference as a starter in the NFL. The main knock on him was that he was short. "But he played behind that huge OL at Ohio State" I said. Well, they were right and I was wrong.

Smith's 2005 stats included 2,282 passing yards with 16 touchdowns and four interceptions. This led to a passer rating of 162.66, the fourth-highest of the season.[5] He rushed for 611 yards and 11 touchdowns on 136 carries. In January 2006, he was named the Offensive MVP of the Fiesta Bowl, after leading the Buckeyes to a 34-20 win over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

For many fans and analysts, Smith's performance against the Longhorns gave credibility to the preseason Heisman Trophy hype he'd received. His passing statistics improved during the 2006 season, completing 67% of his passes for 2,507 yards, with 30 touchdowns and five interceptions. This led to a quarterback rating of 167.87, again fourth in the country.

acehole
04-13-2012, 01:54 PM
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000qlPaSTXlgHk/s/750/750/Midget-FBall-1.jpg

ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

acehole
04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Been watching him since he was a starter for NC State. Count me in as having a man crush as well

More like Nambla.

DraftBoy
04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I disagree with your ranking of QBs. I'd take Wilson over osweiler and Coleman anyday of the week. I do like Cousins though.

My biggest like on Wilson is that he doesn't choke. All the close games they lost were on the defense, after he comes through clutch and put them in position to win.

Fair critiques but Wilson's size hurts him enough to where I have to drop him. I may get burned for it but that's ok. I said in the post I wrote about his visit that some see him as a possible Doug Flutie like QB.

tampabay25690
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I actually think he is a good fit for us.
People can say he is short all they want but he played behind the biggest OLINES in the country and was still productive.

DrGraves
04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I like him a lot. I wound't mind spending a 4th or 5th on him. Kid has a good head on his shoulders and has proven he can win. Why not, we need a backup anyways..

stuckincincy
04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Fair critiques but Wilson's size hurts him enough to where I have to drop him. I may get burned for it but that's ok. I said in the post I wrote about his visit that some see him as a possible Doug Flutie like QB.

Nice kid - but any decent DC coaches the DL about swatting down passes. 5' 11' is tough to surmount.

PTI
04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
People can say he is short all they want but he played behind the biggest OLINES in the country and was still productive.

He had a lot of 5 to 7 step drop backs too, and in the NFL he will not be able to always have that. The Wisonsin OLINE was massive, but he had plenty of time and space to move around to see over those big men. I do not get how he fits with Chan at all. Wilson needs to do deep drops to get the ball over the OLINE, and he will not be able to do that with how Chan Gailey calls plays, he likes quick hitting plays. No sense to me on the fit.

FlyingDutchman
04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
He almost went pro for baseball btw...just a little FYI

stuckincincy
04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
He almost went pro for baseball btw...just a little FYI

He should do it. MLB is big money, fun to play, and you don't face the prospect of getting smashed into pieces. Any athlete that has the chance of playing pro baseball and chooses pro football needs therapy.

tampabay25690
04-13-2012, 03:10 PM
He had a lot of 5 to 7 step drop backs too, and in the NFL he will not be able to always have that. The Wisonsin OLINE was massive, but he had plenty of time and space to move around to see over those big men. I do not get how he fits with Chan at all. Wilson needs to do deep drops to get the ball over the OLINE, and he will not be able to do that with how Chan Gailey calls plays, he likes quick hitting plays. No sense to me on the fit.

You are talking about a system he ran at Wisconsin.
That is not the system that Buffalo runs at all...
Chan likes athletic guys that can bootleg and scramble, last time i knew thats a perfect fit for Wilson?

DraftBoy
04-13-2012, 03:18 PM

Its not about the OL size.

tampabay25690
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM

whats ur knock on him then?

acehole
04-13-2012, 03:59 PM

indeed passing lanes and delivery.....,

but his % of batted balls will go up.

BillsOverDolphins
04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Maybe in the 4th round, but I'm not crazy about him at all

stuckincincy
04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
You are talking about a system he ran at Wisconsin.
That is not the system that Buffalo runs at all...
Chan likes athletic guys that can bootleg and scramble, last time i knew thats a perfect fit for Wilson?

Gailey oversaw an offense that chronically ran quick 3-step pass plays. Bootleggers/Scramblers add to that, but I bet Gailey longs for a line that allows a qb that pitches from a longer drop, one that scans and selects the best target.

jamze132
04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds like some of you guys wouldn't mind a tradeup to #3 to pick this guy!

alohabillsfan
04-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Waste of a draft pick

methos4ever
04-14-2012, 07:36 AM
The reason Brees is so good is the fact that Payton schemes for him to have huge windows to throw into. If he wants him (and takes him) I don't doubt Chan will scheme the same.

Beebe's Kid
04-14-2012, 11:42 AM
He's not tall enough, he doesn't have long enough arms, and his foot work is a little behind where I would like to see it at this stage of the game.

I have been through all the game tape, and had him over to do some cone drills, and at this point, I see him as a value pick, if he volunteers his services to the Bills for free.

There just isn't enough talent, and Ralph is cheap. Although...he is a black QB, so we know that Chan will do wonderful things with him. He cooyld be good, but he may not be.

I think I am covered to say that I was right, regardless of what happens.

SABURZFAN
04-14-2012, 12:01 PM

always wondered what happened to Doug Flutie.

Night Train
04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
He was just on ESPN being interviewed. A 10,000 watt bulb and the game film shows he overcomes his size concerns over and over. Aced the interview.

Loved watching him in college. We like.

YardRat
04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Oom-pa, loom-pa, doop-a-dee-doo,
Who do you want quarter-backing for you?

Night Train
04-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Oom-pa, loom-pa, doop-a-dee-doo,
Who do you want quarter-backing for you?

Flutie, Flutie !

Mindbender
04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Just watched the QB camp with him and the other prospects. I'm on board.

CleveSteve
04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
He was very impressive in the interview, wasn't he?

bosshogg21
04-20-2012, 01:55 AM
He's 5'11 with a rocket arm. Drew brees 6'0. The height thing doesn't bother me at all. He actually plays big. His top 10 plays on espn were super impressive. He's my pick for qb if he lasts till the 4th.

acehole
04-20-2012, 07:30 AM
We shall name him........

"Darth Flutie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc