PDA

View Full Version : FORWARD LATERAL - sportscenter

oldno711
04-15-2012, 09:32 AM
espn top 3 nfl finishes (current sportscenter)

according to schefter...#2 was the music city miracle.

...he went on to say that nobody had a better view that day than him and it was NO DOUBT a FORWARD LATERAL...illegal play...shouldn't have counted.

i know this is old news and stating the obvious to everyone on this board, but it is the first time i can remember someone in the national media acknowledging that fact (especially espn). feels kinda good.

p.s. frank wycheck is still on my 'top 5 people i'd love to hit in the face with a baseball bat' list

Scumbag College
04-15-2012, 09:49 AM
The ball was clearly thrown behind the 25 yard line. The ball was caught on the other side of the field going forward.

When it happened, I just laughed and thought it would be an easy overturn. The officiating crew on that day were inept, spineless cowards that didn't want to deal with upsetting the hometown crowd. Throughout the day, it was one of the most one sided, blatantly anti-Bills officiated games in memory. That game still makes my skin crawl.

CleveSteve
04-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, at least I know Browns fans aren't the only people to cling bitterly to perceived past injustices.

oldno711
04-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Well, at least I know Browns fans aren't the only people to cling bitterly to perceived past injustices.

definitely still bitter.

...which is why it will always feel good to hear others in the media [finally] acknowledge the fact that it was total b.s.

YardRat
04-15-2012, 10:30 AM
We're used to getting screwed.

PromoTheRobot
04-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I've seen computer enhanced studies of that play and the ball was moving perfectly sideways. Sucks, but it was the right call.

PTR

blackonyx89
04-15-2012, 12:25 PM
I've seen computer enhanced studies of that play and the ball was moving perfectly sideways. Sucks, but it was the right call.

PTR

Yeah, that was a sucky call, but what goes around comes around and the Titans were 1 yard short of winning a Super Bowl, I take solace in that. LOL!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

gr8slayer
04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately, most of the time it's a self-inflicted screwing. But, it feels like the tides are changing!

JohnnyGold
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM
ehhhh. same thing comes up a few times a year on here.

im old enough to admit this now: every time, i go to youtube, watch the video, and want to believe it was a forward pass. every time, i go to youtube, watch the video 10 times, and come to the sad conclusion that it was an absolute perfect lateral, and there is no way on gods green earth you overturn that call as a ref.

it's just an iconic moment in sports history. you don't overturn MJs last shot (for the bulls) because he may have pushed off.

put another way... in an alternate universe, if this season we went 16-0, made the super bowl, were down 1 to the giants with 10 seconds left, and executed the same play, and the refs overturned it, how would you view that video?

Meathead
04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
...he went on to say that nobody had a better view that day than him and it was NO DOUBT a FORWARD LATERAL...illegal play...shouldn't have counted.

i know this is old news and stating the obvious to everyone on this board, but it is the first time i can remember someone in the national media acknowledging that fact (especially espn).
actually a titans reporter was standing right next to him, both right along that yard line, and HE said it was a forward lateral and fully expected it to be reversed and was shocked it wasnt

sponsored by ... guess who? the nfl. literally. that alleged 'analaysis' was done for the benefit of the league, and of course they have no incentive to uphold the call right?

any 'computer recreation' is only as good as the data and variables put into it. i could probably prove the ball passed through a mighty taco restaurant if i wanted to

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2012, 02:45 PM
You just realized this about us?

bf1
04-15-2012, 02:57 PM

PTR

**** those studies in the ass

acehole
04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
The ball was clearly thrown behind the 25 yard line. The ball was caught on the other side of the field going forward.

When it happened, I just laughed and thought it would be an easy overturn. The officiating crew on that day were inept, spineless cowards that didn't want to deal with upsetting the hometown crowd. Throughout the day, it was one of the most one sided, blatantly anti-Bills officiated games in memory. That game still makes my skin crawl.

Ended Rj's career.

Mr. Pink
04-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Browns fans still think Karlis missed that kick in the 86 AFC Championship game. :rofl:

Mr. Pink
04-15-2012, 07:31 PM
About Music City Miracle...

Whatever way it was called on the field was gonna stand...if it was ruled a forward lateral on the field, it would have been upheld.

It was WAY TOO CLOSE to rule one way another, seeing it goes the line the ball took, not where the players were standing. If it was forward, it was forward by mere inches, if it was backward it was backward by mere inches. That lateral was the closest thing I have ever seen to absolutely parallel in football ever.

FlyingDutchman
04-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Im still not over Ronnie Harmon dropping the ball in the back of the end zone against the Browns...not really an injustice per say, but while we're ripping open old wounds....

Patti120
04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Curse of Doug Flutie! Flutie definitely got screwed. The whole RJ experiment was a joke. I also uttered thw words that the bills are going to the SB right before that kick off to all of my friends so maybe that just adds to the bitterness, lol. Goods stuff!

Mr. Pink
04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Im still not over Ronnie Harmon dropping the ball in the back of the end zone against the Browns...not really an injustice per say, but while we're ripping open old wounds....

If Harmon catches that ball, the Bills go to 5 straight Superbowls.

Cleveland just wasn't good enough to beat Denver or well equipped enough to go to Mile High and win, Buffalo was.

FlyingDutchman
04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
If Harmon catches that ball, the Bills go to 5 straight Superbowls.

Cleveland just wasn't good enough to beat Denver or well equipped enough to go to Mile High and win, Buffalo was.

Wouldn't doubt it. Buffalo is the best dynasty in sports that never happend. In a cruel mixture of getting old and being a Bills fan, when I talk with younger people (low twenties) about football, and I talk about when the Bills were good, they have no clue what Im talking about...smh...

ds1724
04-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't doubt it. Buffalo is the best dynasty in sports that never happend. In a cruel mixture of getting old and being a Bills fan, when I talk with younger people (low twenties) about football, and I talk about when the Bills were good, they have no clue what Im talking about...smh...

Just had this hit home recently...got a new roommate..he's 26. I'm 31. He's a Giants fan. He had no idea they won the SB prior to the first time they beat Brady & Co. I was like...Super Bowl XXV....wide right? His response..."what year was that?"....."oh I was 5." "Didn't the Bills make it to 2 Super Bowls back in the day?" UGH

FlyingDutchman
04-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Just had this hit home recently...got a new roommate..he's 26. I'm 31. He's a Giants fan. He had no idea they won the SB prior to the first time they beat Brady & Co. I was like...Super Bowl XXV....wide right? His response..."what year was that?"....."oh I was 5." "Didn't the Bills make it to 2 Super Bowls back in the day?" UGH

Yep...I grew up feeling bad and laughing at teams like Arizona or New Orleans or Seattle...now...we ARE them to some other kid. Total kick in the nuts

NOT THE DUDE...
04-15-2012, 09:37 PM

PTR

but officials didnt have that tool, and it looked like it was a forward lateral.... we all know why they didnt overturn the call. would have been hell getting out of there.

either way i blame the players for not staying in their lanes. a tactic taught in little league...

jamze132
04-16-2012, 08:40 AM
NO GOAL!

PromoTheRobot
04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
**** those studies in the ass

Okay, but it doesn't make it wrong.

PTR

mjt328
04-16-2012, 05:17 PM

PTR

I've seen this "computer enhanced study" as well, and it's complete crap.

The "digital recreation" shows Wycheck's feet standing on the 25 yard line - which he never reached in real life. His feet were actually about the 24 1/2 yard line when he threw the ball. That 1-2 feet is a big difference.

The video also projects his right arm to be about 6 feet long, fully extended and the ball releasing from his fingertips. In reality, Wycheck's arm is probably around 3 feet long. And when the ball was released, his arm was partially bent with the ball released from his hand (like any normal throw).

Overall, the video has the ball's release point about 4 feet farther up the field than it CLEARLY was.

Here is the BOTTOM LINE:
1) Which side of the 25 yard line is the ball on when Wycheck throws it?
2) Which side of the 25 yard line is the ball on when Dyson catches it?

PromoTheRobot
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Here is the BOTTOM LINE:
1) Which side of the 25 yard line is the ball on when Wycheck throws it?
2) Which side of the 25 yard line is the ball on when Dyson catches it?

Wrong. The bottom line is how the ball traveled, and it traveled even if not backwards slightly. I know what you are talking about and where the player feet are means zip. It's the trajectory of the ball. Wycheck stood behind the 25 but he threw sidearm from across the 25. Dyson catches it just over the 25 but the ball did not move forward.

PTR

DynaPaul
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Not only was that play a forward lateral but the guy's skate was in the crease as well!

thenry20
04-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Ended Rj's career.

Haha where is your brain?! RJ was named the starter the next year!!!

Please don't post stupidy like that. It ended Bruce DeHaven's career in Buffalo. Do you remember Ronnie Jones?