PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL OL Coach on OT in the '12 Draft

kingJofNYC
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Larry Zierlein breaks down the prospects. (http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/scouting-draft-offensive-tackles) His son writes for the Houston Chronicle, he's the guy who did the Mario Williams write up after he signed with the Bills.

Good read.

tatersalad
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I actually work with his cousin Rocky

tomz
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Nice stuff.

This is what drives me crazy about all the over analysis of draft picks: The arm length of each of these tackles is listed in this article. From all the talk about Reiff and his short arms, you would think his arms were the stumps of a thalidomide baby. So how short are they? Less than one inch shorter than virtually every one of the other top tackles. And people do not want to draft him almost solely for that reason. You must be joking. How much difference can that possibly make?

Philagape
04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Nice stuff.

This is what drives me crazy about all the over analysis of draft picks: The arm length of each of these tackles is listed in this article. From all the talk about Reiff and his short arms, you would think his arms were the stumps of a thalidomide baby. So how short are they? Less than one inch shorter than virtually every one of the other top tackles. And people do not want to draft him almost solely for that reason. You must be joking. How much difference can that possibly make?

Maybe it's also because:

Pass sets get him in trouble at times. He can play LT but is ideally suited for RT. Speed and power rushers could very well give him problems if his pass set issues aren't corrected.

Don't Panic
04-16-2012, 05:32 PM
the stumps of a thalidomide baby

LOL... fantastic usage.

I don't know a ton about Schwartz but it sounds like he may be worth it if he drops to the 3rd?

Ed
04-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Nice stuff.

Well the guy also thinks he'd be a better RT and has some struggles with pass protection. He also says that he'd give him a first round grade in the 20's.

I don't think people dislike Reiff because of arm length, but they just question his value at 10. And if he's not a true LT is he worth it?

I think Reiff is near the top of an OT class that lacks elite talent and therefore fans that really want to see the Bills address LT want to believe that he's better than he actually is.

Every year fans want their team to draft a certain way so they pick and choose what they want to believe about certain players, good and bad, so that it fits their desires.

Mski
04-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice stuff.

This is what drives me crazy about all the over analysis of draft picks: The arm length of each of these tackles is listed in this article. From all the talk about Reiff and his short arms, you would think his arms were the stumps of a thalidomide baby. So how short are they? Less than one inch shorter than virtually every one of the other top tackles. And people do not want to draft him almost solely for that reason. You must be joking. How much difference can that possibly make?the real question is how much shorter are they than the average NFL DE

Skooby
04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Ask your gal if she'd like 2" more, lol.

Nice stuff.

mayotm
04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Gil Brandt has Reiff as his 10th overall prospect in the draft. Good enough for me.

PromoTheRobot
04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
No Cordy Glenn?

PTR

baalworship
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Some people have Glenn as a guard. I would rather have Glenn than Reiff or Martin.

JCBills
04-16-2012, 07:11 PM
LOL... fantastic usage.

I don't know a ton about Schwartz but it sounds like he may be worth it if he drops to the 3rd?

I'm a big fan, and his analysis was spot on.

Not an elite athlete, but is sound enough elsewhere that he has the potential to be a decent player, if not a starter. Doesn't have the quickest feet, but his technique and strength help him compensate, and feet can be worked on. Swing tackle right now, very good run blocker, OK pass blocker that showed improvement. A lot of his flaws are coachable, but he isn't the elite athlete so many look for as an LT.

mjt328
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Nice stuff.

When scouts/coaches talk about arm length, I don't think they are ALWAYS talking strictly about about inches and size. In Riley Reiff's case, it's also about his blocking style.

Watch video of Matt Kalil while pass blocking. While backing up, he mirrors the defender - extends his arms fully and pops the defender directly in the chest.

Then watch Reiff. He has very good footwork when staying with the defender. But instead of extending his arms, he usually blocks with his elbows bent and his hands at his shoulders.

I like Reiff a lot. But that's the main concern that scouts have with him. And why many think he projects to the right side.

DynaPaul
04-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't think Reiff is worth the 10th overall pick personally.

kingJofNYC
04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
No Cordy Glenn?

PTR
His son, Lance, twittered that his father felt Glenn was a guard.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
i wouldnt mind a ot, but nix will probably take claiborne or kirk and if they are gone i see him taking floyd. a wildcard is richardson, but i doubt it. but it wouldnt shock me if they took richardson. hes only the next ricky williams

thenry20
04-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Ask your gal if she'd like 2" more, lol.

LOL Wow! How many chicks have you dated? No, seriously!

It's not length they want it's GIRTH!!! A 20" pencil d**k won't please many girls out there.