PDA

View Full Version : QBs for the Bills

Joebuffalowins
04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
What do you guys think of these QB prospects? (http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/qb-prospects-for-the-bills.html)

Ryan Tannehill, QB Texas A&M: Tannehill set single-season TAMU records for yards (3,744), attempts (531) and completions (327) in 2011.

Brock Osweiler, QB Arizona State - Arizona Cardinal's QB coach John McNulty after seeing Brock's pro day:
"Everybody talks about his height (6-7), but he obviously moves very well for his size. And that idea that he could have gone to Gonzaga to play basketball is something people take into consideration, for his athletic ability," McNulty said. He's showed a big arm today, that's for sure. He threw a lot of deep balls, which was nice."

Brandon Weeden, QB Oklahoma St - Yes I'm fully aware he is older then Aaron Rodgers by two months, and only a year older then Ryan Fitzpatrick. Here is the story on Weeden:
The New York Yankees drafted Weeden in the second round of the 2002 MLB draft, then he pitched for the Dodgers and Royals before a torn labrum and tendinitis in his rotator cuff ended his baseball career. Instead of having surgery on his injuries, he decided to pursue football. (info from CBSSports.com)

Skooby
04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Tannehill or bust if we can get him, reasonably.

Joebuffalowins
04-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I worry about experience, plus he plays in a weak conference, right?

dannyek71
04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Osweiler in 4th or later. No to Tannehill or Weeden (way too old)

tampabay25690
04-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Tanehill, think he has a great upside to him.
But needs a year or 2 under a veteran

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
we are not drafting tannehill.
why is this even a discussion?

Buffalo Thriller
04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
we are not drafting tannehill.
why is this even a discussion?
We will if hes BPA. Fitz sucks

DraftBoy
04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Alex Tanney the whole way.

Buffalo Thriller
04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
BJ Coleman in the 4th?

better days
04-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Tanehill, think he has a great upside to him.
But needs a year or 2 under a veteran

Just what the Bills need, JP 2.0 a QB with the measurables & not the production. PASS. At least in the first rnd. If he were there in the 2nd MAYBE, but he will be long gone by then no doubt.

thenry20
04-17-2012, 01:13 AM

That rib injury and Fred Jackson had nothing to do with it? Right??

feldspar
04-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Kirk Cousins also visited Buffalo.

Think about last year's #10 overall QB pick before you decide that you need to pick a QB first no matter what. There is such a thing as being worse than Fitzy.

I'd like to pick up a project at some point, but I don't see Tannehill being worth that pick.

Night Train
04-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Weeden at this very moment is probably more ready than Luck. He makes quick reads and moves the ball down the field quickly. Can make all the throws.

I am NOT saying he's more talented than Luck or RG3 but people hung up on his age are lazy. He could play good football for 7-10 years. Roger Staubach got into his first Dallas game at 28 and played 10-11 years.

Weeden is probably the 3rd best QB in this draft. Very sharp guy.

alohabillsfan
04-17-2012, 05:05 AM
I would be surprised if we did draft a QB before round 5.

X-Era
04-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Osweiler in 4th or later. No to Tannehill or Weeden (way too old)I'd take Weeden. I'd be fine with getting 7 years out of a guy instead of say 14... And QB's can play until there late 30's. Outside of Luck and RG3 he's the QB I like the best on the field.

methos4ever
04-17-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm in the same boat - I'm a big fan of Weeden, but Osweiler or Cousins later wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Night Train, your point on Staubach is a great one.

acehole
04-17-2012, 07:03 AM
I like Brock as a three year groom.

I like weeden I think he can be a back up one day one.

we really need one of those (back up)......u guys want thigpen?

arguably one of the most important positions on the team

Mahdi
04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Weeden is a very good QB. Has all the tools and plays with confidence. I would take him despite his age.

Some QBs get drafted early and never even give you one full season. This guy can start for you right away or be a quality back up for several seasons.

tampabay25690
04-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Just what the Bills need, JP 2.0 a QB with the measurables & not the production. PASS. At least in the first rnd. If he were there in the 2nd MAYBE, but he will be long gone by then no doubt.

I luv when people compare QBs in the past to present.
Did JP start at Tulane as a WR???
I didnt think JP was a 1st round talent at all...
I like Tannehill but Im not saying he is worth a 1st round grade at all.
He will go much earlier then his TRUE grade really is, I will say I like his upside but needs a few years before he is given the reins.

SquishDaFish
04-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Brock or weeden

better days
04-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Weeden at this very moment is probably more ready than Luck. He makes quick reads and moves the ball down the field quickly. Can make all the throws.

I am NOT saying he's more talented than Luck or RG3 but people hung up on his age are lazy. He could play good football for 7-10 years. Roger Staubach got into his first Dallas game at 28 and played 10-11 years.

Weeden will most likely have an NFL career like Chris Weinke who won a Heisman playing at Florida State & was drafted at 28 years old rather than HOF QB Rodger Staubach.

Mahdi
04-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Weeden will most likely have an NFL career like Chris Weinke who won a Heisman playing at Florida State & was drafted at 28 years old rather than HOF QB Rodger Staubach.
Based on what? Same age?

better days
04-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Based on what? Same age?

Yes, same age & the fact 28 year old rookie QBs do not make the HOF very often.

If Weeden were the best QB coming out of College into the draft, I think a better argument could be made for him, but even if Weeden were 24 years old instead of 28, he would not be considered head & shoulders a better QB prospect than Luck or RGIII.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Ages...

P. Manning 36
E. Manning 31
Rivers 30
Palmer 32
Brees 33
Brady 34
Schaub 30
Roethlisburger 30.

Years and years of NFL pounding suffered by that group. Whether you like of dislike Weeden's play, he's as fresh as a daisy in comparison.

PTI
04-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Fitzpatrick is essentially 30, he will be 30 in this season, and we already know he is mediocre, never finished in the top 20, has the 19th most starts in the NFL in the last 4 years and has basically sucked and showed no signs at all of being a capable playoff level QB. Why would not prefer Weeded to play instead of guy who has a track record of not being a reliable NFL starting QB, it makes no sense at all.

TigerJ
04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm interested in Osweiler. I haven't though about Tannehill much because I don't think Buffalo is going to draft a QB in the first round. To be honest, I think Tannehill is going to be drafted before the 10th pick. The age is a turnoff on Weeden because I don't see Buffalo dumping Fitzpatrick for at least a couple years, and 30 is just too old for a QB to be seeing his first action. By no means do I see the QB discussion being limited to those three for Buffalo.

better days
04-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Ages...

P. Manning 36
E. Manning 31
Rivers 30
Palmer 32
Brees 33
Brady 34
Schaub 30
Roethlisburger 30.

Years and years of NFL pounding suffered by that group. Whether you like of dislike Weeden's play, he's as fresh as a daisy in comparison.

Well, Weeden is only a couple years younger than that group & has NONE of their experience playing in the NFL.

JCBills
04-17-2012, 09:28 AM

He wasn't even a 1st round pick until like two weeks ago, now he's BPA at #10?

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Well, Weeden is only a couple years younger than that group & has NONE of their experience playing in the NFL.

Yes. He would be like any other rookie. My point that if a team thinks that Weeden can play well for them, his age shouldn't enter into it.

Playing what-if, if the guy gives a club several years of good NFL qb play - isn't that a plus? He seems a smart enough fellow. Who's to say he doesn't grasp things early on? Dalton did. Newton did. Ben R did - among many through the years.

CleveSteve
04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

What I don't like about Weedon has got nothing to do with his age. The guy takes literally every snap from shotgun and doesn't move in the pocket at all. He's basically a juggs machine. I once saw him get sacked by the turf monster on a three step drop out of the shotgun. Are you serious? How do you trip on a three step drop? It was either against Arizona or Stanford... can't remember which.

There are things i like about Weedon... he's not afraid to throw the ball and take the hit, but he is so limited athletically. i don't think he's a great fit for the Bills. Maybe backing up Rivers or P. Manning or Brady... somewhere where it's mostly shotgun and the QB is not expected to move.

For the Bills, I like Cousins, Osweiler (though his athleticism is overrated... he's great and moving around within the pocket but he's not going to scramble for much yardage. Guy's got a great arm with good accuracy, though) Wilson, Coleman, and Davis. My liking Coleman is mainly from his background... got caught up in the whole Lane Kiffin thing at Tenn and ended up transferring despite having a lot of talent. He looked GREAT at the Shrine game. I watched his games vs. Nebraska (2011) and Auburn (2010) last night and saw some things I didn't like. He makes some terrific throws but he also has spotty accuracy, at least in those games. I'm backing off of him a bit, but I think he's still a good value in the fifth or sixth as a developmental guy.

Cousins in the 3rd or Wilson in the 4th I think are the best choices for the Bills at QB.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 10:18 AM
What I don't like about Weedon has got nothing to do with his age. The guy takes literally every snap from shotgun and doesn't move in the pocket at all. He's basically a juggs machine. I once saw him get sacked by the turf monster on a three step drop out of the shotgun. Are you serious? How do you trip on a three step drop? It was either against Arizona or Stanford... can't remember which.

There are things i like about Weedon... he's not afraid to throw the ball and take the hit, but he is so limited athletically. i don't think he's a great fit for the Bills. Maybe backing up Rivers or P. Manning or Brady... somewhere where it's mostly shotgun and the QB is not expected to move.

QB.

Thanks - I appreciate the analysis of his play. :shake:

DraftBoy
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Ages...

P. Manning 36
E. Manning 31
Rivers 30
Palmer 32
Brees 33
Brady 34
Schaub 30
Roethlisburger 30.

Actually being a former MILB player his throwing arm probably has more mileage on it than every QB in this class. Does that mean he's at a higher risk of injury? Not necessairly but he's certainly not fresh as a daisy either.

better days
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes. He would be like any other rookie. My point that if a team thinks that Weeden can play well for them, his age shouldn't enter into it.

Playing what-if, if the guy gives a club several years of good NFL qb play - isn't that a plus? He seems a smart enough fellow. Who's to say he doesn't grasp things early on? Dalton did. Newton did. Ben R did - among many through the years.

The difference between him & any other rookie QB is because of his age, he will have less time to develop. He better come out of the gate playing WELL like the QBs you named.

Albany,n.y.
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I would pass on Weedon based on the history of QBs who chose pro baseball over football as their 1st choice & then went back to football after failing at baseball. The list includes 3 Ex-Cowboys Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson & Quincy Carter. Also Chris Weinke, Josh Booty and the worst bust of them all Akili Smith. The only semi-successful QB to play in the NFL after bombing in minor league baseball and then going back to college football as a 2nd choice was Jay Schroeder.
I attribute this to the fact that in order to be a successful QB in the NFL, you have to have a love for the game of football over anything else in sports. Players who would choose to try a career in a different sport just don't have that inner dedication to football that is needed to be a successful NFL QB. Another possibility is they just don't have the inner toughness and that's why their 1st choice was baseball. Football only became an option when baseball wasn't. It could also be that part of the failed guys personalities were they didn't want to be the main guy, as the QB is. Even a pitcher isn't truly the guy, since he doesn't go out there every game. Finally, it could be they just don't have what it takes to be a professional athlete.
Now I have no proof my theories on why are correct, but the bottom line is, if a QB chose pro baseball out of high school & only went back to football after failing in the minors, don't expect him to make it in the NFL, no matter how good he looked playing college football.

The Jokeman
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm reserved taking a QB early or more specifically Rounds 1 & 2 this year. As a result I don't mind Osweiler in Round 3 but prefer a guy like Cousins who I think could easily step in as a #2 as a rookie and might develop in a few years. I've brought up Ryan Lindley in the past and think he's an okay guy with one of our 4ths. I've mocked us taking Austin Davis who think a good development guy and would also look at for a guy like Dominique Davis. Yet as said many a time I think you build a franchise and think the Bills need to find a quality LT and second target in the passing game before looking for a QB. So if we take Reiff and Marv Jones as have listed in my mock before and if Fitzpatrick struggles again this year then to I think of getting a QB in the 1st Round next year whether it be Levi Jones or Matt Barkley.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
The difference between him & any other rookie QB is because of his age, he will have less time to develop. He better come out of the gate playing WELL like the QBs you named.

I don't understand what you say about "develop". Less time? Please.

It's a dice roll - always is. Nobody here is advocating picking a QB high in this year's draft. He's in the mix in lower rounds. It seems foolish to dismiss him out of hand. If he doesn't come "out of the gate", like you say, he's in the same company of hundreds of drafted qbs through the years.

I'll add - BUF's qbs have been more or less an NFL laughing stock situation since the days of Kelly. Fitz ameliorated that a bit. I've cued up your battling for Flutie and Johnson, so have at it.

I know little about Weeden. You seem to know everything about him, and pronounce him a failure before he ever hits an NFL field. Heaven forbid if he gives some club 6 years of good service.

You - and the Bills - are going to wait a time until a qb that parts the waters comes along. In the meantime, It's best to try and see if something good arises.

better days
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't understand what you say about "develop". Less time? Please.

It's a dice roll - always is. Nobody here is advocating picking a QB high in this year's draft. He's in the mix in lower rounds. It seems foolish to dismiss him out of hand. If he doesn't come "out of the gate", like you say, he's in the same company of hundreds of drafted qbs through the years.

I'll add - BUF's qbs have been more or less an NFL laughing stock situation since the days of Kelly. Fitz ameliorated that a bit. I've cued up your battling for Flutie and Johnson, so have at it.

I know little about Weeden. You seem to know everything about him, and pronounce him a failure before he ever hits an NFL field. Heaven forbid if he gives some club 6 years of good service.

You - and the Bills - are going to wait a time until a qb that parts the waters comes along. In the meantime, It's best to try and see if something good arises.

I think Albany said it very well in his post why I would not want Weeden aside from his age.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Don't reference others to formulate a response.

better days
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Don't reference others to formulate a response.

Why not? I did not know you were the internet police.LOL.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, I've finally learned what others may have learned here. No matter the subject, you soon become contentious and launch some sort of flavor of personal attack. Then weasel back in with a line or two as if nothing was said. I'm nobody's enemy. I wish you well. But I'm not going to be belittled by you or anyone else.

See ya...

better days
04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, I've finally learned what others may have learned here. No matter the subject, you soon become contentious and launch some sort of flavor of personal attack. Then weasel back in with a line or two as if nothing was said. I'm nobody's enemy. I wish you well. But I'm not going to be belittled by you or anyone else.

See ya...

Adios Amigo. I did not mean to belittle you, I was just trying to inject a little humor into your post about telling me how I should respond to posts.

If anyone was belittled, I feel you belittled me by telling me how I should respond to your post.

If another poster articulates my thoughts, I see no problem with referencing that.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Actually being a former MILB player his throwing arm probably has more mileage on it than every QB in this class. Does that mean he's at a higher risk of injury? Not necessairly but he's certainly not fresh as a daisy either.

We need a kinesiologist ! :bike: