PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walsh's NFL draft philosophies: Six lessons from the maste

Syderick
04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Good draft advice from the Bill Walsh's point of view:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82857c66/article/bill-walshs-nfl-draft-philosophies-six-lessons-from-the-master?module=HP11_content_stream

k-oneputt
04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Good article.
Everything talked about by Walsh in that article is what the wannabe scouts here do wrong.

Philagape
04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Required reading for draft geeks.

PromoTheRobot
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
1) Only pick good players
2) Don't draft busts
3) Don't pick players who will get injured.
4) Pick players before other teams do.
5) Always pick before your 10 minutes are up.
6) Never trade a pick unless you get something for it.

You're welcome.

PTR

The Spaz
04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
On a down note he loved Trent Edwards...lol

DraftBoy
04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
All good notes to keep in mind.

Ginger Vitis
04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
4) Watch out for players from downtrodden programs -- particularly programs that have just fired a coach -- being unfairly downgraded. In Walsh's mind, players from a program that has just fired its coach pay a price in draft evaluation. Coaches rarely admit the real reason for their termination -- bad coaching -- instead placing the blame on bad players. These side effects of a losing culture can taint a scout's visit to a particular school. Walsh insisted that all the college prospects in this situation had to be examined closely

Taking this into consideration.. Maybe Quinton Coples would be good value for the Bills @10

better days
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Brian Billick said Ozzie Newsomes draft philosophy was to not use the draft to fill needs. He uses FA for that & drafts best player available.

Seems to work well for the Ravens.

Buddo
04-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Brian Billick said Ozzie Newsomes draft philosophy was to not use the draft to fill needs. He uses FA for that & drafts best player available.

Seems to work well for the Ravens.

Except when they try and draft or sign WRs. ;)

All teams use the draft to fill needs. It's a total fallacy that they draft the BPA in respect of 'the most talented guy'. Need is a factor in how they eventually grade guys out.

better days
04-17-2012, 02:39 PM

All teams use the draft to fill needs. It's a total fallacy that they draft the BPA in respect of 'the most talented guy'. Need is a factor in how they eventually grade guys out.

I agree & I doubt Flaco was the best player available when he was picked. I think teams use a combination of the two.

justasportsfan
04-17-2012, 02:42 PM
On a down note he loved Trent Edwards...lol

In defense of Trent , he wasn't so bad early on. He got Jauroned

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Yep. If, for example, the RB Richardson fell a lot, he would have strong appeal as BPA, needs be dam*ed. But most clubs realize their iffy areas, so go for need. BPA is certainly prominent during Day 2 round 5. I suspect most clubs have some idea, same as we amateurs, and grab a body for a position they need who happens to be the BPA of the moment, with a name they heard of being so much the better.

So many college players available, so few pro jobs. It eventually becomes a dice roll. I don't know, but I wonder if more UDFA hook onto a roster than the #6s and the #7s.

HAMMER
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
In defense of Trent , he wasn't so bad early on. He got Jauroned

This couldn't be more wrong, he didn't get Jauron'd he got Adrian Wilson'd.

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2012, 03:37 PM
If Coples is there at 10 he has to be the pick.

better days
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
This couldn't be more wrong, he didn't get Jauron'd he got Adrian Wilson'd.

If that were true, his next game played after that hit would not have been one of his best.

ThunderGun
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
If that were true, his next game played after that hit would not have been one of his best.

True. Still, it's sad that one of his best games was 260 yards and 1 TD.

YardRat
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Great read.

Love these two...

2) "This is a bad draft." This statement drove Walsh nuts, as he felt it was a huge copout by scouts. I talk to certain people every year before the draft, and every year they lament the weakness of that year's draft class, as if I don't remember those exact words the year before. Walsh would remind everyone in the room that the draft only needed enough depth for his team to acquire 12 good players. Satisfying every team was not his concern. All he cared about was finding talent for his own team.

3) "We should trade down -- there is no one worth picking at our spot." Even though Walsh loved to move up or down, he felt that scouts always wanted to trade down to avoid putting their reputations on the line. He didn't like scouts shying away from making the tough call when he had to make tough calls all the time. He would ask scouts/personnel directors: "What do you want us to do: Pass on the pick?"