PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson Cheap Shot or accident?

HAMMER
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Eric Berry is still squawking about Stevie's hit and his knee injury. What do you think?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7824811/eric-berry-kansas-city-chiefs-wonders-buffalo-bills-intentionally-hurt-him

ddaryl
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm over it

Pinkerton Security
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I think it was an unfortunate turn of events that he got hurt, i dont think it was intentional.

Mr. Miyagi
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
A defensive player who makes a living on hitting people in the blind side complaining about a legal hit dishes out by a wide receiver?

Get over it.

OpIv37
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
anyone have a link to the video? I don't remember it being bad at the time but I haven't seen it in a while.

Mski
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
i dont think it was a dirty play at all, and im sure eric berry would have done the same thing if the roles were reversed

Buffalogic
04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
It was just a boneheaded play by Stevie. It's not like he was trying to hurt the guy but I bet he would do it differently if given the chance.

justasportsfan
04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Stevie was just making a bounty hit. oh wait he plays offense.

alnilla
04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Sure Stevie didnt do it to hurt him. Thats just how it happened.

methos4ever
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Stevie was doing what most receivers are taught on downfield blocks, either A) get in the way and post up on the guy or B) cut him. He cut Berry and the dude got hurt. Not a big debate IMO.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
A defensive player who makes a living on hitting people in the blind side complaining about a legal hit dishes out by a wide receiver?

Get over it.

Yeah - all those innocent hits by defenders...watch Ochocinco get smashed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuoY0Tw-VI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw5TjhYQgr4

Whitner's hit was cheesy - Johnson was stretched out and going down. CJ was in his funk, wanting out and milking it. Somehow, he recovered enough to get on the team plane back to OH.

It's a tough life. :biggrin:

Whatever your opinion of him, the guy always showed up to play.

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
There are hits every play in places away from the ball we don't see. Players do a lot worse than that. He's just mad because he got hurt. It's football.

ThunderGun
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
anyone have a link to the video? I don't remember it being bad at the time but I haven't seen it in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ecex-YVXA

Bad video quality, but it's the only one I could find.

Stevie definitely went low, but it was a legal hit, and I highly doubt he was trying to injure him.

Raptor
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
poor berry

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lXeGPHzfsRI/TSs3UimXtBI/AAAAAAAAAls/KzZLs1wa1VY/s1600/dawson-crying.jpg

JCBills
04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
poor berry

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lXeGPHzfsRI/TSs3UimXtBI/AAAAAAAAAls/KzZLs1wa1VY/s1600/dawson-crying.jpg

The Beek!

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ecex-YVXA

Bad video quality, but it's the only one I could find.

Stevie definitely went low, but it was a legal hit, and I highly doubt he was trying to injure him.

Johnson has been playing football all of his young life. He merely had to run into Berry, who was no factor in the play. Nobody else around - just those two.

It was a cheap shot, no question in my mind. It's not as if he went low to block for a ball carrier.

I'll bet that that clip will be played in the KC clubhouse next time they square off with BUF.

JCBills
04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Johnson has been playing football all of his young life. He merely had to run into Berry, who was no factor in the play. Nobody else around - just those two.

It was a cheap shot, no question in my mind. It's not as if he went low to block for a ball carrier.

I'll bet that that clip will be played in the KC clubhouse next time they square off with BUF.

Head on a swivel, Berry knows that.

What if the run cut back that way? You never know what is happening and it is alot easier to criticize in slow motion. We're talking about split second decisions here, and if your assignment is to neutralize a defender, do it.

You see these blocks all the time.

TedMock
04-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't think it looked cheap as much as it looked unnecessary. As a former college DB watching it; I do not believe it was a cheap shot, but I admittedly would have been furious about it.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Head on a swivel, Berry knows that.

What if the run cut back that way? You never know what is happening and it is alot easier to criticize in slow motion. We're talking about split second decisions here, and if your assignment is to neutralize a defender, do it.

You see these blocks all the time.

That cut back run would have had to traverse 20 feet before it came into Johnson's area. That's a lifetime in red zone playing.

Johnson's legs are fair game next time he faces the Chiefs - I can't see how that is not so.

YardRat
04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
It's a cheap shot if it happens to one of our players...otherwise it's an accident or part of the game. Duhhh.

JCBills
04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
That cut back run would have had to traverse 20 feet before it came into Johnson's area. That's a lifetime in red zone playing.

Johnson's legs are fair game next time he faces the Chiefs - I can't see how that is not so.

How? Will Berry be assigned to block Johnson because defenders now block?

Not fair game at all. Red zone has nothing to do with it, and if anything gave better reason for the block.

methos4ever
04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Here's the play where Berry's knee got ker-blammy. Note that it was non-contact and AFTER the Stevie play, where his coaches, doctors and teammates allowed him back on the field.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3uYy7ylkYFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Here's the play where Berry's knee got ker-blammy. Note that it was non-contact and AFTER the Stevie play, where his coaches, doctors and teammates allowed him back on the field.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3uYy7ylkYFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, that vid confuses us all. You too.

In response to a JCBills post, you said:

"Head on a swivel, Berry knows that.

You see these blocks all the time."

Extremebillsfan247
04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Eric Berry is still squawking about Stevie's hit and his knee injury. What do you think?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7824811/eric-berry-kansas-city-chiefs-wonders-buffalo-bills-intentionally-hurt-himThe low block was definitely intentional. The intent to injure? only Stevie Johnson knows that for sure, but my best educated guess says no. JMO

methos4ever
04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Well, that vid confuses us all. You too.

In response to a JCBills post, you said:

"Head on a swivel, Berry knows that.

You see these blocks all the time."
Not really. The above for the block is true. It is also true that his medical staff (who did a lachman's test for his knee and should have not cleared him to return), teammates, coaches and most importantly Berry allowed himself onto the field. Once back on the field he blows his ACL out on a non-contact play. That's not Stevie's fault - he may have been part of it, but a very lazy logic leads to that.

Again, not confused, two separate points. But ultimately if you believe correlation = causation on this, I won't argue the point.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Not really. The above for the block is true. It is also true that his medical staff (who did a lachman's test for his knee and should have not cleared him to return), teammates, coaches and most importantly Berry allowed himself onto the field. Once back on the field he blows his ACL out on a non-contact play. That's not Stevie's fault - he may have been part of it, but a very lazy logic leads to that.

Again, not confused, two separate points. But ultimately if you believe correlation = causation on this, I won't argue the point.

No arguments - we all saw that 1st vid posted, and thought that that was the big blow. And it might have been - I still think it was a cheap shot, going low in that situation. As to Berry going back in - one can indeed fault the staff, but we've all seen untold numbers of players wanting to go back in - the competitive juices flow, it seems.

Ah well.

methos4ever
04-17-2012, 06:36 PM
No arguments - we all saw that 1st vid posted, and thought that that was the big blow. And it might have been - I still think it was a cheap shot, going low in that situation. As to Berry going back in - one can indeed fault the staff, but we've all seen untold numbers of players wanting to go back in - the competitive juices flow, it seems.

Ah well.
No fault on either of us, really I'm frustrated that Berry, of all the things in that chain of events, would solely blame Stevie. If he had blown it out and had been carted, etc after the hit I get it, but when you want to "man up" and go back out like that, you're asking for a bad ending.

BADTHINGSMAN
04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Just glad he can bring it up since he is so over it.

stuckincincy
04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
No fault on either of us, really I'm frustrated that Berry, of all the things in that chain of events, would solely blame Stevie. If he had blown it out and had been carted, etc after the hit I get it, but when you want to "man up" and go back out like that, you're asking for a bad ending.

True.

Here's a bit of insight on the worst owner in the league - Mike Brown - bar none. We all know about the rapacious stadium deal, his "value" picks, his beating the IRS, his close-knit organization populated by family members, and so on.

He also has another side. He picks up the miscreants - we know their names, and honestly believes he can turn their lives around - however trite those words are. He's very keen on loyalty. Perhaps the roots there come from his Dad's experience with the Browns.

He keeps injured players - those who will never come back - on the PUP list until they get vested for an NFL pension. Notables are/were 2007 #2 pick RB Kenny Irons, who tore up a knee after the first few plays of his pre-season debut, and 2005's #1, David Pollack, who broke his neck in the first game or so in his 2nd season.

Go figure.

methos4ever
04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
True.

Here's a bit of insight on the worst owner in the league - Mike Brown - bar none. We all know about the rapacious stadium deal, his "value" picks, his beating the IRS, his close-knit organization populated by family members, and so on.

He also has another side. He picks up the miscreants - we know their names, and honestly believes he can turn their lives around - however trite those words are. He's very keen on loyalty. Perhaps the roots there come from his Dad's experience with the Browns.

He keeps injured players - those who will never come back - on the PUP list until they get vested for an NFL pension. Notables are/were 2007 #2 pick RB Kenny Irons, who tore up a knee after the first few plays of his pre-season debut, and 2005's #1, David Pollack, who broke his neck in the first game or so in his 2nd season.

Go figure.
Thanks for the insight Cincy. I never knew that about him. I have a buddy whose gf is a Bengals fan and cannot stand him so I wouldn't hear it from her!

Beebe
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Sometimes I sit n wonder if they had a bounty out on me ... oh well ... who cares. Either way u can't hold me down.

-- Tweet from Chiefs S Eric Berry
on if Bills intentionally tried to hurt him

We can't hold you down but we can take you out,you can't make plays when you are on the side line watching the game in street clothes. :biggrin:

Jeff1220
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
A bounty on Berry? Stop flattering yourself.

PTI
04-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Game 2, he is coming.

thenry20
04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Berry is a coward! He should be calling out Rodney Harrison if he really dislikes cheap shot artists.

thenry20
04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
A bounty on Berry? Stop flattering yourself.

LMFAO! Before that hit NOBODY in the league knew who the ***** he was!!!

PTI
04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
LMFAO! Before that hit NOBODY in the league knew who the ***** he was!!!

Yes, the whole league knew Berry, 5th overall pick the year before, and already was touted as one of the 5 best safeties in the NFL.

TMu11
04-18-2012, 05:27 AM
<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 489px; HEIGHT: 175px" height=315 src="<a href=" width=560 target="_blank" SPYJs9jqPzY? embed www.youtube.com http:>http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPYJs9jqPzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Meh, I cant embed - heres a link , It must have been made by a KC fan, but it shows the Bills destroying their back up safety http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPYJs9jqPzY&feature=player_embedded#!

jamze132
04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
I bet Berry is blasting fools in Buffalo, Week 2.

jamze132
04-18-2012, 06:00 AM
I personally did not like Stevie's shot and I don't think cut blocks should be legal period.

stuckincincy
04-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Berry is a coward! He should be calling out Rodney Harrison if he really dislikes cheap shot artists.

You could toss Heinz Ward into that mix. And let us not forger Conrad Dobler...

:dance3:

Buddo
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
'Dirty' Dobler was simply better at it than most of the rest of them.

Back in those days, there were teams who put so much tape on, they might as well have been wearing casts. It's no wonder a lot of those guys were getting concussions. ;(

Buddo
04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
FWIW, around the time this actually happened, iirc, Johnson was pretty open about the fact that he will cut block DBs in Red Zone situations, and that generally he will inform them of this before the game.

Cut blocks are simply part of the game. Personally, I think they should probably be outlawed, as they obviously have the chance for the end result that Berry got (eventually). I don't think there should be any allowance for them, full stop, as even around the LOS, if an O-Lineman cut blocks you, you have good chances of getting hurt, even if it's done at no real speed, as the extra weight the big uglies carry, will account for the same amount of possible damage.

Northern Stampede
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
you can pretty much guarantee they'll be gunning for Stevie at the home opener now... Let's hope nothing crazy happens.. I wouldnt want to lose him week 2 next year.. But come on.. Like alot of people said already, it was a cut block, the guy unfortunately got hurt.. Just hope they don't go head hunting for him next year week two... I'd be a lil pissed. Stevie better be ready for that..