PDA

View Full Version : No that we know the 30 we did visit with, who's missing?

X-Era
04-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Some interesting names of players we chose not to visit with:

Reilly Reiff
Michael Floyd
Quinton Coples
Alshon Jeffery
Luke Kuechly
David DeCastro

But also to a lesser degree:

Michael Brockers
Dontari Poe
Devon Still

Many of these names are favorites thrown around here as the guy we should take.

And again it's very interesting that we brought in guys who are highly unlikely to fall to us at 10 like Richardson, Claiborne, and Blackmon... and we also visited with many who look to be mid to late 1st rounders where we aren't currently drafting...

I think we either are very interested in moving up or down or that we may have intentionally did not visit with a guy we want. It could be that as many as 5 from my top list are very much on our radar at 10.

baalworship
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I can understand fans wanting Floyd. I never got the Kuechly love. A middle linebacker with the 10th overall pick? Who can't rush the passer or cover a Gronkowski?

Based on value of the 10th pick I would say the following are in play:
Richardson (Gone)
Blackmon (Probably gone)
Cordy Glenn
Dre Kirkpatrick
Melvin Ingram
Mark Barron
Fletcher Cox
Stephon Gilmore

So assuming everyone we brought in after Blackmon and Richardson are gone have roughly equal value for the Bills we look at position of need.

Cordy Glenn and Dre Kirkpatrick would now be the most likely. I would guess Cordy Glenn of the two just as I think Bills see LT as a bigger need and Glenn is kind of lineman Nix loves.

DraftBoy
04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I think Glenn was a smokescreen visit.

baalworship
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I think Glenn was a smokescreen visit.

"We're going to draft a tackle if we can. If there's one there is what I mean. If there's one we think can play we're going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles." (January 9)

"... it's easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than it is from guard to tackle, obviously. We draft tackles and we are at pretty good shape at guard and center." (January 9)

"I think tackles - offensive tackles - (are deep)." (February 24)

He also stated 2 to 3 tackles in this class could start right away and that in his first draft he wanted someone with the pick we eventually used on Spiller to start. So this implies he thinks there is a tackle after Kalil he would take at 10.

That's a lot of smoke!

DraftBoy
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
"We're going to draft a tackle if we can. If there's one there is what I mean. If there's one we think can play we're going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles." (January 9)

"... it's easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than it is from guard to tackle, obviously. We draft tackles and we are at pretty good shape at guard and center." (January 9)

"I think tackles - offensive tackles - (are deep)." (February 24)

He also stated 2 to 3 tackles in this class could start right away and that in his first draft he wanted someone with the pick we eventually used on Spiller to start. So this implies he thinks there is a tackle after Kalil he would take at 10.

That's a lot of smoke!

Read your January 9th quote again.

baalworship
04-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Read your January 9th quote again.

I read it. You just don't have him quite as high on your board and see him as a guard. The clue you should be reading is this one:

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What’s interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

So Martin here but most now see him as a late 1st, Reiff not invited, this leaves Glenn as a guy that will go around 10th in the draft and was a name Nix did not want to say aloud.

DraftBoy
04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I read it. You just don't have him quite as high on your board and see him as a guard. The clue you should be reading is this one:

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What’s interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

So Martin here but most now see him as a late 1st, Reiff not invited, this leaves Glenn as a guy that will go around 10th in the draft and was a name Nix did not want to say aloud.

Adams, Massie are two other OT's getting 1st Round mentions as well. Cordy Glenn has always been thought of as a mid to late round pick in the 1st.

Until the Bills invited him nobody really even considered him a valid option for us at 10. Even after many said that after a trade down he'd be a good selection.

Nix is going to maximize the tenth picks value, don't expect him to take any projects, reaches, or position switchers. If it isn't clear were they guy will play in the NFL he won't take them in the 1st Round.

X-Era
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Adams, Massie are two other OT's getting 1st Round mentions as well. Cordy Glenn has always been thought of as a mid to late round pick in the 1st.

Until the Bills invited him nobody really even considered him a valid option for us at 10. Even after many said that after a trade down he'd be a good selection.

Nix is going to maximize the tenth picks value, don't expect him to take any projects, reaches, or position switchers. If it isn't clear were they guy will play in the NFL he won't take them in the 1st Round.I've been beating around the bush but I'd like to hear your take and I'll ask you flat out... Do you think the Bills will take a guy at 10 that they didn't visit with? Do you think it could be Floyd?

DraftBoy
04-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I've been beating around the bush but I'd like to hear your take and I'll ask you flat out... Do you think the Bills will take a guy at 10 that they didn't visit with? Do you think it could be Floyd?

Yes and Yes. I think the pick at 10 will be a player we did not bring in for a visit.

I have three names in mind that I think we are targeting, and none visited us.

baalworship
04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes and Yes. I think the pick at 10 will be a player we did not bring in for a visit.

I have three names in mind that I think we are targeting, and none visited us.

I would love it if we drafted Floyd.

baalworship
04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Former NFL GM Charley Casserly offered the following on Glenn to Buffalobills.com as far as him projecting to left tackle is concerned.
“There are a lot of guys that play in this league that aren’t as good as him that are playing left tackle,” said Casserly.

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Michael82
04-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Former NFL GM Charley Casserly offered the following on Glenn to Buffalobills.com as far as him projecting to left tackle is concerned.
“There are a lot of guys that play in this league that aren’t as good as him that are playing left tackle,” said Casserly.

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Why does anyone care what he says? Seriously...what did Casserly do that was soo good in the NFL? Draft David Carr?

alohabillsfan
04-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Maybe, just maybe a player wasnt invited because they already interviewed him at the Combine.

Blacksheep71
04-18-2012, 04:46 AM
Personally I think we basically bring in people that we have some extra questions about and need to look at more.

We might we be comfortable with those we've not invited either by their performance at the combine, or their performance during the season and those invited have some question marks that require extra investigation.

Also if some of these guys fall to our R2 selection, having interviewed them in more detail might alleviate any media gossip as to why certain players have fallen.

There is no point in bringing someone in, that you are totally happy in your assessment about.

baalworship
04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Sporting News Russ Lande

2012 NFL mock draft: Ever-rising Ryan Tannehill climbs to Cleveland at No. 4

PUBLISHED Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm EDT
LAST UPDATED 10 hours and 58 minutes ago

1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

As we get closer to the draft, it is has become clear the Colts will select Luck. NFL sources tell us there is no debate in their building about which quarterback to select.

Robert Griffin III (AP)
2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis): Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Coach Mike Shanahan made the bold move to trade up for Griffin, who has the accuracy and athletic ability to make an immediate impact in Shanahan’s offense.

Matt Kalil (USC Photo)
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, Southern Cal

The Vikings must do a better job of protecting young quarterback Christian Ponder if they expect him to develop, so they select Matt Kalil to protect Ponder's blind side.

Ryan Tannehill (AP)
4. Cleveland Browns: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

The Browns clearly want to upgrade from Colt McCoy, and Tannehill has the talent to eventually become an elite quarterback.

Trent Richardson (AP)
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

New coach Greg Schiano believes in a physical rushing attack, and Richardson can carry the Buccaneers’ offense with his powerful, aggressive style.

Justin Blackmon (AP)
6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

The Rams first choice is Trent Richardson, but with him gone they decide to make an upgrade at receiver and give Sam Bradford a much-needed weapon.

Morris Claiborne (AP)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Though the Jaguars need a receiver, sources tell us they want to upgrade their defense and Claiborne would do that immediately.

Michael Floyd (AP)
8. Miami Dolphins: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

With Tannehill off the board, the Dolphins make the move to add Floyd, who gives them a No. 1 receiver to replace Brandon Marshall.

Fletcher Cox (AP)
9. Carolina Panthers: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

Carolina needs to upgrade its defense, and Cox is the best interior playmaker in the draft.

Cordy Glenn (AP)
10. Buffalo Bills: Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia

The Bills’ offensive tackles were inconsistent in 2011, so they select Glenn, who should start at left tackle and solidify the position.

David DeCastro (AP)
11. Kansas City Chiefs: David DeCastro, G, Stanford

Every source we speak to tells us that the Chiefs are desperate to land DeCastro to upgrade their interior line.

Quinton Coples (AP)
12. Seattle Seahawks: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The Seahawks want to improve their pass rush, and Coples is a big, strong end who fits their scheme.

Melvin Ingram (AP)
13. Arizona Cardinals: Melvin Ingram, OLB, South Carolina

The Cardinals’ outside pass rush has struggled in recent seasons, so they make the move for Ingram, who fits perfectly as an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

Michael Brockers (AP)
14. Dallas Cowboys: Michael Brockers, DE, LSU

Brockers is a great fit as a strongside end in the Cowboys’ scheme and would upgrade their defense immediately.

Dontari Poe (AP)
15. Philadelphia Eagles: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

The Eagles want to get more inside pressure on quarterbacks, and Poe has the raw physical talent to be a disruptive interior force.

Whitney Mercilus (AP)
16. New York Jets: Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois

The Jets' outside pass rush was inconsistent in 2011, and drafting Mercilus would upgrade their ability to get consistent pressure on the quarterback.

Rueben Randle (AP)
17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland): Rueben Randle, WR, LSU

A.J. Green gave the Bengals an elite receiver for Andy Dalton last year, but they need a complementary threat. Adding Randle would make the passing attack one of the most dangerous in the AFC.

Nick Perry (AP)
18. San Diego Chargers: Nick Perry, DE, Southern Cal

The Chargers’ pass rush has struggled greatly in recent seasons, and Perry would be an excellent fit opposite Shaun Phillips.

Coby Fleener (AP)
19. Chicago Bears: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

The Bears traded for an impact receiver in Brandon Marshall, and now they add a big-play tight end for Jay Cutler.

Janoris Jenkins (AP)
20. Tennessee Titans: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

The Titans lost cornerback Cortland Finnegan in free agency, so they take gamble on Jenkins—who has had several off-field issues—because he has talent to be a Pro Bowl player.

Dre Kirkpatrick (AP)
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

After losing Johnathan Joseph in free agency a year ago and with Leon Hall recovering from Achilles’ surgery, the Bengals are desperate to find a talented cornerback.

Kendall Wright (AP)
22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta): Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

After drafting Tannehill with the fourth overall pick, the Browns draft Wright to give their new quarterback a big-play weapon.

Luke Kuechly (AP)
23. Detroit Lions: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

The Lions’ two best linebackers, Justin Durant and Stephen Tulloch, are solid but not spectacular. Kuechly would bring impact playmaking ability to the unit.

Alameda Ta'amu (AP)
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

Longtime starting nose tackle Casey Hampton is recovering from ACL surgery and is 34, so Pittsburgh drafts its nose tackle of the future.

Jerel Worthy (AP)
25. Denver Broncos: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

The Broncos want to improve the playmaking potential of their interior line. Worthy has exceptional athletic ability but needs to provide a more consistent effort.

Amini Silatolu (AP)
26. Houston Texans: Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State

Sources tell us the Texans are more confident in Rashad Butler playing right tackle this season than they are with Antoine Caldwell at guard, so they select Silatolu to handle that spot.

Stephon Gilmore (AP)
27. New England Patriots (from New Orleans): Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

The Patriots make their first move to upgrade their defense by drafting Gilmore, whose physical style would fit well in their schemes.

Devon Still (AP)
28. Green Bay Packers: Devon Still, DT, Penn State

Green Bay's defense did not play as well last season as it did when the team won the Super Bowl. So the Packers draft Still, whose strength and athleticism fit their 3-4 scheme.

Riley Reiff (AP)
29. Baltimore Ravens: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

Michael Oher didn’t develop at left tackle, and the Ravens used veteran Bryant McKinnie at the position last year. They grab Reiff to play behind McKinnie this year and become the long-term answer at left tackle.

Mark Barron (AP)
30. San Francisco 49ers: Mark Barron, S, Alabama

Sources tell us the 49ers would prefer a guard, but if none is available, they would like to add a young athletic safety to pair with Dashon Goldson.

Courtney Upshaw (AP)
31. New England Patriots: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

Upshaw is not a top athlete, but he is strong and physical and was very productive playing in an Alabama system that is similar to the Patriots’ scheme.

Doug Martin (AP)
32. New York Giants: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

With Brandon Jacobs now in San Francisco, the Giants need a strong, physical runner to pair with Ahmad Bradshaw and Martin would be a great fit.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-17/nfl-draft-2012-mock-andre-luck-robert-griffin-giants-jets-cowboys-dolphins

jamze132
04-18-2012, 06:07 AM
We're going to get someone who can start imediately. This is obvious, so all of you Tannehill lickers can suck it.