PDA

View Full Version : Eagles want to deal Samuel before draft

The King
04-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Eagles have been shopping CB Asante Samuel in recent days, according to NFL sources around league. Eagles looking to make trade before draft. -Schefter

This is a deal I'd like to see us make. Philly has been desperate to move him for a while, we could fill a position of need and probably do so at a fair cost.

Pinkerton Security
04-18-2012, 08:37 AM
hes talented but a maaaaaaaaaaajor headcase, very much a me-first player.

better days
04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Eagles have been shopping CB Asante Samuel in recent days, according to NFL sources around league. Eagles looking to make trade before draft. -Schefter

This is a deal I'd like to see us make. Philly has been desperate to move him for a while, we could fill a position of need and probably do so at a fair cost.

I'd do it for a 5th rnd pick.

Skooby
04-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Yes please.

better days
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes please.

As pinkdogg said, he is a headcase & me first type player. He also seems to prefer the Big City lights, not sure how he would like Buffalo. I would not give up anything substantial for him.

Buddo
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
He's a good CB and would represent an upgrade. Thing is, I'm not sure he actually is really a guy we can't live without.
We do need more CBs, but there's a draft full of decent ones, and Samuel isn't getting any younger. Rogers looks like he can play, and Williams definitely can, so if we find another good one in this draft to bring on, and McGee and Florence stay healthy, I don't think it's the best move going forward..
I'd also be wary of Samuel's lack of game discipline. While he might be a playmaker, I'd be concerned that his risk taking to do so, could cost us along the way. I'm not convinced the amount of good decisions he makes on the field, outweighs the chances he takes.

The King
04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Its McGees health that makes me think we need to make the move. The guy simply can't stay healthy and to be able to fill that void, with a veteran for a season or two, is a solid move IMO.

methos4ever
04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Its McGees health that makes me think we need to make the move. The guy simply can't stay healthy and to be able to fill that void, with a veteran for a season or two, is a solid move IMO.
Even for a 5th, he has a 10.5 million cap hit this year. No thanks.

Skooby
04-18-2012, 09:00 AM

This is exactly why we could use Samuel, he'd be healthy & on the field (unlike McGee).

ThunderGun
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Even for a 5th, he has a 10.5 million cap hit this year. No thanks.

Stop using logic please.

I've heard of him before. Therefore, we must trade for him.

Pinkerton Security
04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
i mean if we can get him for less than 4th, id be all for it, just dont wanna give up much for a guy who will certainly not be sticking around longer than he needs to.

Extremebillsfan247
04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
If the Bills were that hard up for a CB, drafting Kirkpatrick, or Gilmore would make more sense than trading for Samuel in my opinion precisely because of his age. I'm not sure how much your going to get out of him assuming he would even want to be here. We already have Aaron Williams, but I'd prefer youth to an aging veteran CB with a bad reputation to pair with him.

Raptor
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Pass all the way

We are good on the 30+ year CB's who are on the decline we don't need another

clumping platelets
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
No thanks

Night Train
04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
We can draft 2-3 CB's next weekend.

Agreed our starters will be replaced soon. Williams & Rogers are a good start. Bring on more. Just no more large $$ guys past their prime.

justasportsfan
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
If our pass rush is as good as advertised even Mckelvin will look like a Revis. No need for a $10M cb There's a reason why the eagles are letting him go.

ddaryl
04-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I would rather we take a drafted CB

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
If our pass rush is as good as advertised even Mckelvin will look like a Revis. No need for a $10M cb There's a reason why the eagles are letting him go.
McKelvin will never look like Revis as he has horrible ball skills. He is great in coverage until the last second when he let's his receiver pluck it away from him. Yet agree on Samuel's price tag a tad high but then again if the Bills don't extend Freddie, Byrd, Wood or Levitre's contracts than having all that extra cap space is waste and would welcome Samuel here.

The King
04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
**** I didnt realize his contract was backloaded... 10.5 holy ****!

Skooby
04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
**** I didnt realize his contract was backloaded... 10.5 holy ****!

That needs to change for him to play here or just about anywhere.

ThunderGun
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
That needs to change for him to play here or just about anywhere.
Which is why nobody will trade for him.

Skooby
04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Which is why nobody will trade for him.

Is there a chance for them to cut him loose & we can pick him up anew??

ThunderGun
04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Is there a chance for them to cut him loose & we can pick him up anew??

Sure, they could cut him loose.

But they've been trying to trade him for 2 years now, and they haven't cut him loose yet. I doubt they do it now. But you never know. I still wouldn't want him though. He'd command more money than he's worth, and our secondary is old enough already.

better days
04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Sure, they could cut him loose.

But they've been trying to trade him for 2 years now, and they haven't cut him loose yet. I doubt they do it now. But you never know. I still wouldn't want him though. He'd command more money than he's worth, and our secondary is old enough already.

And unless Buffalo paid him a boatload of money, I think he would rather go somewhere else.

Cali512
04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I would trade a 4th and 5th. Since we have 2 of both

ThunderGun
04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I would trade a 4th and 5th. Since we have 2 of both

And take on his $10 million salary for this season? No thanks.

YardRat
04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Pass.

Get Gilmore in the first, Josh Norman in the fourth/fifth, and bring in FA's Will Blackmon and James Butler to compete for spots.

Buffalogic
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Eagles reportedly will accept a sixth round pick (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82877807/article/report-eagles-willing-to-trade-samuel-for-5th-or-6th?module=HP11_headline_stack)in exchange for Samuel

BLeonard
04-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Eagles' Samuel reportedly would cut earnings to facilitate trade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82800d6c/article/eagles-samuel-reportedly-would-cut-earnings-to-facilitate-trade

Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel might be willing to shave as much as $2.5 million off his earnings for next season to facilitate the team's efforts to trade him, the Philadelphia Daily News reported Saturday.

Columnist Paul Domowitch wrote that Samuel, who is set to make $9.5 million in 2012, would be open to reducing that figure to $7 million, though he didn't cite a source.

Alonzo Shavers, the nine-year veteran's agent, told TitanInsider.com earlier this week that Samuel would consider re-negotiating his contract to make a trade possible.

This was back at the start of April... Maybe he's willing to cut his salary further now, since no teams have bitten and the draft is less than a week away?

Dunno how good of an idea it is for the Bills though, regardless.

-Bill

we are
04-20-2012, 04:53 PM
For who? For what?

ThunderGun
04-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Eagles reportedly will accept a sixth round pick (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82877807/article/report-eagles-willing-to-trade-samuel-for-5th-or-6th?module=HP11_headline_stack)in exchange for Samuel

Because they are hoping they can find another sucker to pay him the $20 million he's due this year and next.

Pass.

better days
04-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Eagles' Samuel reportedly would cut earnings to facilitate trade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82800d6c/article/eagles-samuel-reportedly-would-cut-earnings-to-facilitate-trade

This was back at the start of April... Maybe he's willing to cut his salary further now, since no teams have bitten and the draft is less than a week away?

Dunno how good of an idea it is for the Bills though, regardless.

-Bill

I doubt he would drop below $7 mill. He would be better off getting cut & picking a team he wants to go to as a FA.

The Jokeman
04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Sounds like he's a Falcon. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7853300/atlanta-falcons-acquire-asante-samuel-philadelphia-eagles-sources-say

Extremebillsfan247
04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
That needs to change for him to play here or just about anywhere.Low and behold, you were not far off with that statement. Apparently the Falcons made him restructure his contract before they would agree to the trade with Philly. Samuel is going to Atlanta.

Turf
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
7th rounder, so essentially they got him for no one.