X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Interesting video of Nix on LTs

Im 100% sure its not OT at 10 after seeing this. It seems that in the beginning hes just trying to convince the reporters to not assume we wont, but then when asked if its a need. He says, we need tackles, but we think Chris Hairston can play LT for us and us win. He says we have a quick passing game and Fitz has to get the ball out quick, implying that the OL doesnt block that long. He pretty much at the end says we need just depth, saying "we have 2 OTs, and one coming off from injury, we need 2 more".

If it doesnt pop up its the one saying Nix on Bills Left tackle situation
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Interesting video of Nix on LTs

Yet at the end he was answering a question from (I assume) Jerry Sullivan and mentions the playmaking/difference makers at LT allow teams to hold the ball longer and throw farther etc. and when the video starts he mentions how the great ones are taking in the top 10 of the draft. Yet him saying that they believe Hairston's a good LT despite his limited athleticism worries me a little on how we evaluate offensive lineman/prospects.

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by The Jokeman
      Yet at the end he was answering a question from (I assume) Jerry Sullivan and mentions the playmaking/difference makers at LT allow teams to hold the ball longer and throw farther etc. and when the video starts he mentions how the great ones are taking in the top 10 of the draft. Yet him saying that they believe Hairston's a good LT despite his limited athleticism worries me a little on how we evaluate offensive lineman/prospects.

Yes but he said the great ones are there, but he expressed a great deal of time in talking about Hairston. Yes he said a great LTs important, but right before he also said Hairston can start for us and would do well. So thats like me saying Fitz is good, but the best QBs are takin in the top 10 of the draft. The only time he directly puts our team in the talk with an tackle, hes talking about depth.
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Cali512
        Yes but he said the great ones are there, but he expressed a great deal of time in talking about Hairston. Yes he said a great LTs important, but right before he also said Hairston can start for us and would do well. So thats like me saying Fitz is good, but the best QBs are takin in the top 10 of the draft. The only time he directly puts our team in the talk with an tackle, hes talking about depth.
        I'll agree with that and it saddens me. As year after year I post how we need a quality LT but year after year it seems that we don't take one. Now in year's past it's been because it seemed like the one's I was targetting were either taken before our pick or we simply let them go elsewhere like Green Bay or Atlanta and somehow those teams have found a way to make the playoffs where my beloved Bills still haven't. We're finally in position to get a Reiff and I'll lament if pass on him. As yes he's got some negatives in his scouting reports but you know what every prospect does the only difference is to me you try and get the best big ugly you can especially if you have a weaker one on your current roster.
        Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Cali512
          • Jan 2012

I'll agree with that and it saddens me. As year after year I post how we need a quality LT but year after year it seems that we don't take one. Now in year's past it's been because it seemed like the one's I was targetting were either taken before our pick or we simply let them go elsewhere like Green Bay or Atlanta and somehow those teams have found a way to make the playoffs where my beloved Bills still haven't. We're finally in position to get a Reiff and I'll lament if pass on him. As yes he's got some negatives in his scouting reports but you know what every prospect does the only difference is to me you try and get the best big ugly you can especially if you have a weaker one on your current roster.

I agree, but i think the staff knows how run blocking OTs are more valuable to this team. Hairston is a very good run blocking OT, and if he can learn to control outside moves, hell be a good pass blocker too. He has trouble with speed rushers, i believe he played maybin when he wrecked on us.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Cali512
            I agree, but i think the staff knows how run blocking OTs are more valuable to this team. Hairston is a very good run blocking OT, and if he can learn to control outside moves, hell be a good pass blocker too. He has trouble with speed rushers, i believe he played maybin when he wrecked on us.
            Reiff is also a strong run blocker and to me he is so much better than Hairston I can't believe we're settling on keeping the poor footed guy at LT where feet are one of the most important part of the position. In terms of Chris' starts he started in our Win vs Philly, Loss at the Giants, Loss at Miami, Loss at Jets, Loss vs Titans Loss at Chargers, Loss at Patriots. In other words we won in his first game and loss all the rest he started. I know I shouldn't blame him for a win or loss but an interesting statistic nonetheless.
            Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Yes. Year after year, good pundits, bad pundits, local, national have scratched heads about why in the world BUF has passed on higher-round OLs. I was astounded when they selected Woods/Levitre - two that most seem to like, a couple to pin hopes on.

They should keep it up. Good Lord...their roster shows one LT on the team - a 2nd year player with 7 starts, because the other fellow got injured - who has since bolted.

Folks wag on about "value". BUF has been out of the post season for a long time. It's a passing league big time. 3 step quick isn't going to get them anywhere.

Wasting a fairly decent D by having them stepping on their tongues gets you nowhere.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• baalworship
                • May 2003

WGR Joe B, "Bills like Cordy Glenn the most."

Their reading of the tea leaves.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy
                  Yes. Year after year, good pundits, bad pundits, local, national have scratched heads about why in the world BUF has passed on higher-round OLs. I was astounded when they selected Woods/Levitre - two that most seem to like, a couple to pin hopes on.

They should keep it up. Good Lord...their roster shows one LT on the team - a 2nd year player with 7 starts, because the other fellow got injured - who has since bolted.

Folks wag on about "value". BUF has been out of the post season for a long time. It's a passing league big time. 3 step quick isn't going to get them anywhere.

Wasting a fairly decent D by having them stepping on their tongues gets you nowhere.
                  I think a lot of Bills fans forget that Wil Wolford was 1st Round pick in 1986. Or forget that before playing LT Jonas Jennings AND Jason Peters all started a year at RT before being shifted over to LT. I suppose I should have more faith in Chris Hairston but I don't as just don't buy into him inpart because we overdrafted him to begin with and truely believe he's best suited to be a RT or backup swing tackle in the NFL.

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

I think a lot of Bills fans forget that Wil Wolford was 1st Round pick in 1986. Or forget that before playing LT Jonas Jennings AND Jason Peters all started a year at RT before being shifted over to LT. I suppose I should have more faith in Chris Hairston but I don't as just don't buy into him inpart because we overdrafted him to begin with and truely believe he's best suited to be a RT or backup swing tackle in the NFL.

I like Hairston. But let's remember that before this draft stuff got going Chan Gailey said he didn't think Hairston was quite ready to start at left tackle. Add in Buddy saying we will get a left tackle, probably 2 and you can't pretend this is not a position of need at 10 or 41.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by baalworship
                      I like Hairston. But let's remember that before this draft stuff got going Chan Gailey said he didn't think Hairston was quite ready to start at left tackle. Add in Buddy saying we will get a left tackle, probably 2 and you can't pretend this is not a position of need at 10 or 41.
                      and honestly I don't like the options at 41 unless by some act of God that Martin falls that far.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

He's been promoting that for 2 months and even if he's right, it's still just a guess that hit.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

So, heres my positive spin on Glenn if they make that move...

The can try him at LT and see if he can become a starter. If he does we made a smart move and have a solid starter at LT. If he can't we potentially have a perrenial pro-bowler at RG which would be a significant upgrade. And we also can pencil him in as a backup OT which is nice thing to have... cough- Levitre at LT - cough.

Theres upside to making that pick although he really should move to G and if that's where we think he's most likely to succeed, why not take DeCastro who is an even better G prospect.

I wouldn't hate it but I just don't think it's our best move if we stay at 10.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
                            So, heres my positive spin on Glenn if they make that move...

The can try him at LT and see if he can become a starter. If he does we made a smart move and have a solid starter at LT. If he can't we potentially have a perrenial pro-bowler at RG which would be a significant upgrade. And we also can pencil him in as a backup OT which is nice thing to have... cough- Levitre at LT - cough.

Theres upside to making that pick although he really should move to G and if that's where we think he's most likely to succeed, why not take DeCastro who is an even better G prospect.

I wouldn't hate it but I just don't think it's our best move if we stay at 10.
                            You must be smoking that cigarette in your avatar. Levitre at LT didn't workout well the last two years we forced him over there.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

You must be smoking that cigarette in your avatar. Levitre at LT didn't workout well the last two years we forced him over there.
                              You misunderstood me. I'm saying that even if Glenn was our pick and moved to G he's an upgrade as backup OT than a guy like Levitre who started at LT last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X