PDA

View Full Version : I hate to admit it but Buscaglia could be right

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Taken from his article at http://www.wgr550.com/pages/12876531.php?contentType=4&contentId=10428968

In my opinion, I believe the pick is between Cordy Glenn, Jonathan Martin, Stephon Gilmore and Dre Kirkpatrick. Judging it not only off the way the Bills spoke on Wednesday, but how they've been speaking since the end of the season it seems those would be the four in consideration. While Floyd and Reiff make a lot of sense, it just doesn't look apparent that they fit the mold of a player the Bills are looking for as a first round pick.

YardRat
04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
The closer we get to the draft, the more I'm leaning toward Gilmore.

DraftBoy
04-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Really enjoy Joe's work and I enjoyed this piece but not quite sure I actually know what he means there.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
The closer we get to the draft, the more I'm leaning toward Gilmore.
I hear you as think Gilmore's got the talent to be a great CB but it's frustrating because while agree that we need to start thinking of replacements for an aging McGee and Florence rather we shore up other positions first.

Ed
04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
How does Floyd not fit what they're looking for? He's the exact kind of WR that Nix has talked about wanting to add. He also said that they want to use the #10 pick on a guy that can be an impact playmaker. And Floyd could easily be the BPA at #10.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Really enjoy Joe's work and I enjoyed this piece but not quite sure I actually know what he means there.
I think he's listening to how the Bills (more specifically Nix) comments on what his looking for in a position and pairing it with what he says about specific prospects. Like the comments Nix makes about quality OTs and way he goes on about Glenn seems like he's talking about one in the same.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
How does Floyd not fit what they're looking for? He's the exact kind of WR that Nix has talked about wanting to add. He also said that they want to use the #10 pick on a guy that can be an impact playmaker. And Floyd could easily be the BPA at #10.
I think Joe is eluding to that comments like the draft is deep and that we're looking for competition reads to me more of finding a guy to bring in versus finding a specific guy to fit a specific need. Let's not forget that the Bills went after Robert Meachem in UFA who's been a wave type WR not a bonafide #2 type guy. I know he's made Megatron type comments before and I don't see Floyd being that type of guy. As Nix talks about being open when covered to me that mirrors a guy like Alshon Jeffery or if look later Jeff Fuller. In other words guys who use their size and are a mismatch when fighting for balls insize the redzone.

baalworship
04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Listening to WGR now. Buscaglia seems to be saying that he felt the Bills were saying they wanted to address WR later in the draft. Didn't prove anything but his opinion was he could rule out WR as our first pick.

If you look at the Bills website they they have videos of the following up:

Tackles, Cornerbacks, Wide Receivers and the Bills views on them

Raptor
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Everything that Ive read on the lunch today kind of lends me to believe that there are no OT's in play at the 10 spot I think this is between Gilmore and Floyd

Ed
04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Everything that Ive read on the lunch today kind of lends me to believe that there are no OT's in play at the 10 spot I think this is between Gilmore and Floyd
I think trading down is definitely in play too, but like Nix said, it's a lot easier said than done.

ThunderGun
04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I know he's made Megatron type comments before and I don't see Floyd being that type of guy. As Nix talks about being open when covered to me that mirrors a guy like Alshon Jeffery or if look later Jeff Fuller. In other words guys who use their size and are a mismatch when fighting for balls insize the redzone.

I don't know man. The "open when they're covered" comments make me think they have serious interest in Floyd. I like Alshon, and I'd probably take him in the 2nd if Jenkins, Hill, Martin and Adams are gone, but he doesnt exactly have great separation skills.

Skooby
04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Believe half of what you see & none of what you hear this time of year in the NFL.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't know man. The "open when they're covered" comments make me think they have serious interest in Floyd. I like Alshon, and I'd probably take him in the 2nd if Jenkins, Hill, Martin and Adams are gone, but he doesnt exactly have great separation skills.
and no one has great seperation skills inside the 5 but guys who can outfight/leap/reach for the TDs to me mean so much more as do O-lineman who can hold the line and let our QB throw for said TD or make the tough run block to spring a guy like Jackson into the endzone. So to me you get the best collection of players and I honestly like a collection of Reiff and Jeffery a whole lot more than Floyd and a LT like Adams and/or Massie.

Cali512
04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Floyd and Luke seem to be the topic. I dont see CB unless they believe Dre or Gilmores a better player, but everywhere i see Floyd and Luke are higher. I think based on position, its hard to get a non MLB LB in the top 10, and when you get blessed with a WR like floyd, you have to take him.

BertSquirtgum
04-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Michael Floyd will be the pick if he is there.

CleveSteve
04-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Stephon Gilmore... let me introduce you to Kyle Wilson. I think you guys have a lot in common.

Bert102176
04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Taken from his article at http://www.wgr550.com/pages/12876531.php?contentType=4&contentId=10428968

if Floyd doesn't fit the mold then they aren't serious about winning

jamze132
04-19-2012, 05:43 AM
I think Buddy Nix is one of the best in the business at not tipping his hand. He's very intelligent.

tampabay25690
04-19-2012, 06:40 AM
If the Bills stay at #10 they will draft:

Not in and order.

Michael Floyd
Dre Kirkpatrick
Stephon Gilmore
Quinton Coples

don137
04-19-2012, 06:49 AM
One thing Buddy says is he drafts the best player available. A perfect example is drafting Spiller a couple years ago. I also know how he loves the SEC. Thus I personally think it will be either Floyd or Glenn for those reasons. Floyd will be the BPA and Glenn will probably be the BPA from the SEC.

we are
04-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Stephon Gilmore... let me introduce you to Kyle Wilson. I think you guys have a lot in common.

It's funny I was just thinking yesterday about Kyle Wilson not being successful so far, and I thought you know I bet some idiot on the message boards will compare Gilmore to him because they both have dreads.

k-oneputt
04-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Maybe Kyle has seen a different caliber of wr in the NFL compared to those studs in the WAC he used to cover.

I don't think Gilmore and Wilson have much in common at all except the dreads.

ddaryl
04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Reiff will not be the pick. He projects as a RT, and I also believe Nix likes his OT large, wide and engulfing

After watching Nix's reaction regarding talking about Floyd during their pre-draft lunch press conference, I believe Floyd's character concerns have eliminated him. WR and CB depth is pretty big in this draft, so not jumping on one of the questionable character WR's at the top seems likely

CB's seem to represent the safest BPA for us at #10, assuming the unthinkable happens and Kalil falls.

Cordy Glenn just would not be BPA at #10. Martin I've see slipping into late 1st early 2nd do to his strength concerns and the fact he played next to DeCastro.

SO I am starting to believe it will be Gilmore

k-oneputt
04-19-2012, 08:07 AM
I agree ddaryl.

I'm starting to think it's Gilmore also.

Turf
04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
We keep wasting our first rounders on CB's I'm against it. If they pan we out we let them walk. Get some more linemen and LBs. Keuchy.

Philagape
04-19-2012, 08:31 AM
We keep wasting our first rounders on CB's I'm against it. If they pan we out we let them walk. Get some more linemen and LBs. Keuchy.

They've taken one first-round CB in the past 10 years.
And in that time they've also wasted first-rounders on a lineman and linebacker.

justasportsfan
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

It means he's as clueless and as confused as everyone else.

we are
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
They've taken one first-round CB in the past 10 years.
And in that time they've also wasted first-rounders on a lineman and linebacker.

It seems some people want to pass on a CB because we drafted Nate Clements over a decade ago lol

ThunderGun
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
It seems some people want to pass on a CB because we drafted Nate Clements over a decade ago lol

I want to pass on cb because I believe than any cb other than claiborne is a big reach at 10.

we are
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I want to pass on cb because I believe than any cb other than claiborne is a big reach at 10.

yeah yeah everyone's a reach.

give me a good football player who can contribute to this team for the next ten years and i'm happy.

stuckincincy
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Clements has a decent career...can't see why folks wouldn't like him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/nateclements/2504744/profile

BUF fans have a funny thing - a player leaves - Bills don't want to pay, player wants to better himself, might get a starting gig, whatever, and he gets vilified. Go figure.

Bill Cody
04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
yeah yeah everyone's a reach.

give me a good football player who can contribute to this team for the next ten years and i'm happy.

I'm with you. You'd think after watching this team draft the amazing collection of flotsam and jetsam for the past decade that this would be enough. Sure it would be cool to move down a half dozen picks and still snag Gilmore but the most important think is not to draft a b---.

Night Train
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Blind squirrel finds nut..

Film at 11..

tampabay25690
04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
It's funny I was just thinking yesterday about Kyle Wilson not being successful so far, and I thought you know I bet some idiot on the message boards will compare Gilmore to him because they both have dreads.

I agree so hard to compar the 2.
Gilmore started as a Freshmen in the SEC and Wilson was a CB in the WAC.

tampabay25690
04-19-2012, 11:55 AM

To be honest from 7-20 I think the players seem pretty equal.
The value at 10 sucks IMO....
You take the BPA period.

Night Train
04-19-2012, 11:58 AM

In the same vein, people are comparing Kuechly to Poz, based on being white and the same build. Kuechly can play any of the LB positions and run twice as fast as Poz ever could, can cover, hit the hole.

But let's just call him Poz Jr and not put 2 seconds of thought into it...

ThunderGun
04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
:trance:
To be honest from 7-20 I think the players seem pretty equal.
The value at 10 sucks IMO....
You take the BPA period.

I agree. But back to my previous statement (and this isn't directed at you), I don't think that any of the CB's will be BPA. Hence, them being a reach.

Philagape
04-19-2012, 12:09 PM

I agree. But back to my previous statement (and this isn't directed at you), I don't think that any of the CB's will be BPA. Hence, them being a reach.

Interesting definition. Hadn't thought of it that way, considering the general definition of "reach" seems to be the nerds are taking him five spots later.

Bill Cody
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Nix is NOT going BPA. He's going best RATED player. That's a big difference. He doesn't like punks and he's not keen on lazy players. Nix does his homework. So where some draftnik has player X on the board may be totally different that Nix's board.

When you say "reach" you're really saying "I haven't watched 2 minutes of film on any of these guys, never met any of them, never talked to any coaches, but I know player X is a reach". Not picking on you here, the draft is fun for all of us but the mini Mel's of the world make me laugh.

tampabay25690
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Ok fair enough

gonzo1105
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Only the people who are "draftniks" think that Stephon Gilmore is a reach. Mike Mayock has him as a top 10 type and there is word leaking that Gilmore might not even be there at the Bills selection. There are rumors he could go either to Jacksonville at 7 or Carolina at 9. So yes keep believing he is a reach because you haven't seen any mock drafts with him that high. Hey by the way, it is becoming more and more likely that the Rams if they can't get Richardson are going to pass on Blackmon as well and take Fletcher Cox at # 6.

Billsouth
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
This is a bad year to be at 10. There is only one stud tackle. However there are plenty of tackles available later in the draft which is where I believe we will select our tackles. Jason Peters went undrafted. Hairston was the 4th rounder we got for marshawn.

I believe the choice comes down to Kuechly or Floyd. They r BPA at 10 along with DeCastro. I would rather pick him than a lesser tackle because I believe Levitre can be a solid tackle behind Hairston or even at RT over Pears.

If I had my preference I would really like to trade down. Rumor has it Eagles really want Fletcher Cox and maybe they will trade with us if he is there.

oldno711
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM

what made you think of kyle wilson yesterday? was it because he has dreads?

stuckincincy
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
what made you think of kyle wilson yesterday? was it because he has dreads?

Heh - last season, a player against CIN got yanked down by his dreadlocks. I thought the fellow's neck could have been broke.

No penalty - NFL has ruled that if ya want to have such things dripping from your scalp (express yourself!), so be it - part of the uniform.

oldno711
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Heh - last season, a player against CIN got yanked down by his dreadlocks. I thought the fellow's neck could have been broke.

No penalty - NFL has ruled that if ya want to have such things dripping from your scalp (express yourself!), so be it - part of the uniform.

i remember ricky williams being pulled down by his dreads against buffalo several years back. he got up and you could see a clump of hair barely hanging on...

TedMock
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Kyle Wilson struggled quite a bit as a rookie in 2010, but I think the general consensus on him has been that 2011 showed a ton of improvement. I am not comparing Wilson and Gilmore at all and I certainly do not like the Jets, but I am just stating what limited action I watched of him in the NFL and what some Jets fans down here seem to agree with.

thenry20
04-19-2012, 05:14 PM

I agree but most WR's don't do much till their 2nd or 3rd year in the league. I just wish there was a LT we could a hit home run with in this draft.