PDA

View Full Version : How comfortable are you in this?

Cali512
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Hairston, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears?

Like it or not, Hairston will probably be the starter baring injury or some top OT going to round 2. The top OTs rated are extremely weird this year, and pretty much go, Kalil top 3 pick, and the rest 15-32. So rule out 1st round because Nix also mentioned how you can get a great OT in the top ten, obviously, but then quickly said that we have a guy in Hairston and we feel comfortable with him at LT. 2nd round theres literally no LTs worthy of the pick unless someone drops, which is not likely. I believe that anything 3rd round past would be equal or less than Hairston, so 3rd round OT is not likely. So how you like this as our OL?

Dont think about depth, that will probably be fixed no matter what

CleveSteve
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Take Reiff. JMO.

Ed
04-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm good with it and this is the line I expect to start the season. Last year everyone was freaking about Pears and Urbik being starters on the right side, but they played well. In 2009 when we drafted Spiller everyone was freaking out that we needed to take OT Bulaga because there was no way a raw and inexperienced 7th rounder in Demetrius Bell was good enough to be a starting LT, but he played well too. Now everyone is freaking about Hairston not being good enough to play LT and we need to draft Reiff.

Chan is an offensive guy and the Bills aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by not having good enough players on the O-line. They've already said they're going to draft a couple OT's, but they're not going to reach. If they draft an OT in the first it will be because they're the best player and worth it.

And I think Glenn has a better chance of being a Bill than Reiff.

Cali512
04-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Take Reiff. JMO.

Do we need 3 RTs?

Blacksheep71
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't care how much the offensive plays were designed to help the line, you don't give up only 23 sacks if there is some ability and cohesion there.

I'd be okay with a Buffalo 'no-name' line.

Ed
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't care how much the offensive plays were designed to help the line, you don't give up only 23 sacks if there is some ability and cohesion there.

Plus Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller didn't average 5.5 and 5.2 ypc without any help.

I think our O-line did a pretty great job with run blocking even with all the injuries and shuffling positions.

Blacksheep71
04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Plus Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller didn't average 5.5 and 5.2 ypc without any help.

I think our O-line did a pretty great job with run blocking even with all the injuries and shuffling positions.

A full pre-season and with a decent 6th man in Chad Rinehart, we have the makings of a better than average line.

Urbik's versatility as a backup C, as well as a college RT, means that if only one player goes down, he can be moved around and Rinehart plugged in to fill the gap.

baalworship
04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Bill Polian was on Colin Cowherd today and he was stating he would be scared of taking Kalil at 3. He preferred Claiborne and thought the difference between Kalil and the next tackles in the draft wasn't that great.

That being said your statement that the next tackles are at best ranked 15-32 might not match up with the Bills board. As Buddy Nix said he has his own board and that's where he is picking from.

mjt328
04-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm not very comfortable.

In my opinion, Chris Hairston played pretty poorly as a rookie.
Going back and watching some of the Bills games from 2011, he seemed very slow off the snap and was beat pretty consistently around the edge. For those that take stock in the grades given by Pro Football Focus, Hairston got a -8.0, which was the worst on the team.
Also consider that we were 1-6 during his seven starts.

Now, I know Hairston still has plenty of time to become a good player - but I really worry about putting him out there before he's ready.

That's why I'm so torn on the draft.

Part of me really wants us to draft Michael Floyd. I think he's the perfect fit in our offense, and I'm confident he's going to be a very good NFL player. I think he will be the best player available when we are on the clock.

But another part of me sees the need at left tackle and feels like we almost have to take Riley Reiff - despite his obvious risks.
Outside of Kalil, finding a potential starting left tackle in this draft is going to be very tough. Out of Reiff, Jonathan Martin, Cordy Glenn and Mike Adams, I think Reiff has the best chance to succeed.
Meanwhile, there will still be some good receivers available in the second round.

better days
04-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I have been saying for a long time, no matter who the Bills drafted that Hairston would start. Only 22 sacks given up by the Bills last year & they ran the ball pretty well, I will take that.

baalworship
04-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Latest mock goes OT for Bills
Posted by Chris Brown on April 20, 2012 – 1:47 pm

Another mock draft with less than a week until the draft goes offensive tackle for Buffalo.
Rotoworld.com’s latest edition has Buffalo taking Georgia OT Cordy Glenn. Here’s what they wrote.
10. Buffalo Bills — Georgia OT Cordy Glenn
Glenn was one of the first players the Bills hosted for a pre-draft visit. While that isn’t necessarily a surefire indication of interest, Glenn’s game is eerily similar to former Buddy Nix pick Marcus McNeill’s. Both are athletic, physically dominant “waist benders” whose technique is criticized despite exceptional down-to-down play. Glenn would be an upgrade on Erik Pears at right tackle initially, and perhaps move to the left side if Chris Hairston doesn’t markedly improve in camp.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/04/20/latest-mock-goes-ot-for-bills/

better days
04-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Latest mock goes OT for Bills
Posted by Chris Brown on April 20, 2012 – 1:47 pm

Another mock draft with less than a week until the draft goes offensive tackle for Buffalo.
Rotoworld.com’s latest edition has Buffalo taking Georgia OT Cordy Glenn. Here’s what they wrote.
10. Buffalo Bills — Georgia OT Cordy Glenn
Glenn was one of the first players the Bills hosted for a pre-draft visit. While that isn’t necessarily a surefire indication of interest, Glenn’s game is eerily similar to former Buddy Nix pick Marcus McNeill’s. Both are athletic, physically dominant “waist benders” whose technique is criticized despite exceptional down-to-down play. Glenn would be an upgrade on Erik Pears at right tackle initially, and perhaps move to the left side if Chris Hairston doesn’t markedly improve in camp.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/04/20/latest-mock-goes-ot-for-bills/

If the Bills draft an OT at #10, I would much rather Glenn over Reiff.

baalworship
04-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I like the power tackles more than the finesse guys. Give me the 6'6'' 345 lbs guy with the mean streak and athleticism.

Plus when you throw in out he handled the best pass-rushers at the Senior Bowl playing left tackle and is only going to get better. His technique needs some work but we have a great o-line coach who can turn him into a monster.

YardRat
04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm OK with it, but if we could get our hands on a can't-miss 'franchise' LT I'd jump at it. Still think Hairston is going to at least ge a 'good' one. Levitre and Urbick are excellent and solid. Pears needs to up his game this season IMO, or face being replaced next year. Wood's injuries concern me, and I will bring up depth because the one oline position we absolutely need to fill (I've said it numerous times, and will keep repeating it until it's done) is a legit back-up CENTER that can swing to guard if necessary, not the reverse.

The Jokeman
04-20-2012, 07:33 PM

and of those 23 sacks given up, Hairston was credited with giving up 4 in 7 games . He's arguably the weakest link and you know what they say about line's being as strong...

Bill Polian was on Colin Cowherd today and he was stating he would be scared of taking Kalil at 3. He preferred Claiborne and thought the difference between Kalil and the next tackles in the draft wasn't that great.

That being said your statement that the next tackles are at best ranked 15-32 might not match up with the Bills board. As Buddy Nix said he has his own board and that's where he is picking from.
Toss in Polian was on NFL32 two nights ago when they focused on the Bills and their 1st need was OT and whom did he have the Bills take? None other than Reiff.