PDA

View Full Version : Do we like Riley Reiff?

Joebuffalowins
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/draftwatch-for-the-bills-riley-reiff.html

South Dakota native Riley Reiff is the consensus second-best tackle (only to USC’s Matt Kalil) available in this week’s NFL Draft. The 23 year old is a six-foot-six, 313 pound former two-way player (tight end and defensive end) and a three-time state champion wrestler (121-1 in his career). Reiff was recruited by Iowa as a three-star defensive end prospect, but after gaining 30 pounds in his redshirt year he was moved to the offensive line where he started 37 games – most at left tackle – but also on the right side and at guard.

I'm not sure we should go OT. Team allowed least amount of sacks last year, why do we need an upgrade?

Bangarang
04-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure we should go OT. Team allowed least amount of sacks last year, why do we need an upgrade?

Seriously?

ddaryl
04-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Reiff won't be the pick @ #10 IMO. Kalil or bust for OT that early.

DynaPaul
04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
He'd be a steal in the 2nd round. Definitely not 1st round material though.

BloFan4Life
04-20-2012, 06:23 PM
He'd be a steal in the 2nd round. Definitely not 1st round material though. Ok Mr.Scout. Just a terrible statement.

gonzo1105
04-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Ok Mr.Scout. Just a terrible statement.

Actually he does have some validity as some scouts are starting to leak that Reiff could last to the late first early 2nd round.

YardRat
04-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't think Reiff could step right in and replace Hairston at LT, maybe not even Pears at RT, so the pick really might not be an upgrade. Go for corner, wr or lb where we're going to get somebody who should contribute from day 1.

The Jokeman
04-20-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't think Reiff could step right in and replace Hairston at LT, maybe not even Pears at RT, so the pick really might not be an upgrade. Go for corner, wr or lb where we're going to get somebody who should contribute from day 1.
You've read the scouting reports on Reiff compared to Hairston right? I still don't where people are coming to this conclusion except blind faith that just because we put Hairston at LT for an injured Bell last year that he really has a shot here long term. Nix mentioned yes that Hairston can be good yet he also refers to his poor feet and his belief that great LTs have good feet. It's a small tell that he might be bluffing about how good Hairston can be.

YardRat
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
You've read the scouting reports on Reiff compared to Hairston right? I still don't where people are coming to this conclusion except blind faith that just because we put Hairston at LT for an injured Bell last year that he really has a shot here long term. Nix mentioned yes that Hairston can be good yet he also refers to his poor feet and his belief that great LTs have good feet. It's a small tell that he might be bluffing about how good Hairston can be.

I really like the way the kid played prior to his injury, and scouting reports mean nothing at this point. Hairston has played the position at this level, and Reiff has yet to step on an NFL field.

Yeah, I caught those comments also about the feet and wondered if Nix was throwing out a bone.

CleveSteve
04-20-2012, 08:31 PM
He'd be a steal in the 2nd round. Definitely not 1st round material though.

How can you be "definitely not first round material" but be a "steal" in the second? where is the player's value? Is there a round 1.5?:trance:

better days
04-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Show me any scouting report that says Reiff has great feet. The closer the draft is, the more reports there are that Reiff is a RIGHT Tackle but NOT a Left.

I have said it for a LONG time now, no matter who the Bills draft, Hairston will be the STARTING LT next year.

Beebe
04-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Why would we pass on a potential play maker for Bryan Bulaga's twin at right tackle and even if he ends up playing on the left side it would take him at least a year or two.We need some to start right now.

Bangarang
04-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Why would we pass on a potential play maker for Bryan Bulaga's twin at right tackle and even if he ends up playing on the left side it would take him at least a year or two.We need some to start right now.

When we picked Spiller 9th overall, people were fuming that we passed on Bulaga. Now that Reiff is supposedly Bulaga's twin, he's not good enough to be taken at 10th?

I love how all of a sudden Reiff is strictly a RT in the NFL because a talking head said he was. Now everyone is jumping on that.

BLeonard
04-20-2012, 10:28 PM

I'm not gonna say that Hairston will or won't be a long term answer for the Bills at LT... Wanna know why?

The guy has only played in 13 games, starting 7 of them!

I'd also like to add the fact that he had little to no training camp time, due to the NFL Lockout. He's now a year older, has a little experience under his belt and will get the luxury of having offseason minicamps and a full training camp.

Now, he might regress or he might be the LT the Bills have been looking for for half of forever. The fact that the Bills were willing to let Bell go without much of an effort to keep him tells me that the Front Office thinks he can be the latter.

-Bill

better days
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Not only start, but Nix said at #10 they want not just a starter, but a PLAYMAKER.

Beebe
04-20-2012, 10:47 PM
When we picked Spiller 9th overall, people were fuming that we passed on Bulaga. Now that Reiff is supposedly Bulaga's twin, he's not good enough to be taken at 10th?

I love how all of a sudden Reiff is strictly a RT in the NFL because a talking head said he was. Now everyone is jumping on that.

So doesn't that tell us something of where the Bills might want to go with the 10th pick?They're going to want a play maker.People were pissed off that we passed on Bulaga because at that time the left tackle was the weakest position.

Bert102176
04-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I sure hope were not the guy is not a starter and at 10 you better get someone that will start from day 1

Philagape
04-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Speaking as someone who wanted Bulaga, I was wrong about him. I envisioned him as a LT, but he's a RT.
I don't know why pro-Reiff people keep bringing up Bulaga; he makes the anti-Reiff case.

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Show me any scouting report that says Reiff has great feet. The closer the draft is, the more reports there are that Reiff is a RIGHT Tackle but NOT a Left.

I have said it for a LONG time now, no matter who the Bills draft, Hairston will be the STARTING LT next year.

Here's a quick one, am sure you can find others with the help of google:

http://www.examiner.com/article/riley-reiff-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Foot quickness – He has the foot quickness to get out of his stance and adjust quickly when he bends knees. He can change directions quickly to block with leverage and base. His foot quicks allow him to get thru the line of scrimmage quickly to the 2nd level and he has the agility and balance to maintain blocks out in space.

Summary: Reiff is a very smart football player with good athleticism, balance, and toughness to be a very valuable asset to whichever NFL team drafts him. He has the flexibility and foot quickness to play the left or right tackle spot. He was a three time heavyweight wrestling champion in high school and that shows me that he has good strength and the no quit attitude to be successful in the NFL. He should immediately improve an NFL team’s offensive line with his versatility and toughness.

By contrast with regard to Hairston at http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/3/9/2029766/chris-hairston-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Agility: The problems with Hairston's game come with his lack of fluid movement. At 6'7 325lbs, he struggles to quickly move his feet and reach the edge in pass protection. He also struggles to change direction and react to counter moves. However, the more I watched Hairston play the more athleticism I noticed and feel that he has just enough ability to hold up at the right tackle position.

Final word: I have Hairston as one of my sleeper picks of the 2011 NFL Draft. I feel that he has the ability to develop into a solid right tackle. He is going to slide a little in the draft because he lacks versatility and looks to be a right tackle only. He doesn't have the foot speed to hold up on the left side and is too long to be an effective guard.

mjt328
04-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Speaking as someone who wanted Bulaga, I was wrong about him. I envisioned him as a LT, but he's a RT.
I don't know why pro-Reiff people keep bringing up Bulaga; he makes the anti-Reiff case.

I wanted Bulaga, and I still think he would have been the better pick.

And don't assume that just because Bulaga plays on the right side for Green Bay that he couldn't be a left tackle for another team. The Packers already had a very good left tackle in Chad Clifton. They didn't need Bulaga on the left.

mjt328
04-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Agree that Reiff might only be a right tackle in the pros.

But according to the majority of scouting reports, the problem is with his hands and upper body. Most feel that Reiff has excellent footwork.

Philagape
04-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I wanted Bulaga, and I still think he would have been the better pick.

And don't assume that just because Bulaga plays on the right side for Green Bay that he couldn't be a left tackle for another team. The Packers already had a very good left tackle in Chad Clifton. They didn't need Bulaga on the left.

If I'm going a draft a guy 10th overall, "you don't know he can't play LT" isn't good enough.
And even if he could, it's not good enough that he can be a competent starter.
At 10th overall, I have to be confident that he's a future multiple Pro Bowler at the position for which I want him. Someone special.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Seriously?
YEAH SERIOUSLY

Jan Reimers
04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Reiff's arms are shorter than Glenn's and Martin's, so he just can't be taken before them.
/sarcasm.

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Now, he might regress or he might be the LT the Bills have been looking for for half of forever. The fact that the Bills were willing to let Bell go without much of an effort to keep him tells me that the Front Office thinks he can be the latter.

-Bill
Or perhaps the Bills had some forethought and knew that there were 2 or 3 OTs in the draft could step up and replace Bell if he was lost in free agency. It's not like they didn't have the time to make Bell a better offer etc over the last few weeks that he was out there. All I know if Reiff and Hairston were two prospects that I had to pick from to play LT I'd go with the first.

If I'm going a draft a guy 10th overall, "you don't know he can't play LT" isn't good enough.
And even if he could, it's not good enough that he can be a competent starter.
At 10th overall, I have to be confident that he's a future multiple Pro Bowler at the position for which I want him. Someone special.

Here's a quick run down of recent guys selected 10th overall:

2011 10 Blaine Gabbert, QB
2010 10 Tyson Alualu, DT
2009 10 Michael Crabtree, WR
2008 10 Jerod Mayo, LB
2007 10 Amobi Okoye, DT
2006 10 Matt Leinart, QB
2005 10 Michael Williams, WR

Of those selected only Mayo's made a Pro Bowl and only once in 2010. So your expectactions are a little high based on recent production. The only recent 10th overall pick that met those requirements would be Terrell Suggs.

Philagape
04-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Here's a quick run down of recent guys selected 10th overall:

2011 10 Blaine Gabbert, QB
2010 10 Tyson Alualu, DT
2009 10 Michael Crabtree, WR
2008 10 Jerod Mayo, LB
2007 10 Amobi Okoye, DT
2006 10 Matt Leinart, QB
2005 10 Michael Williams, WR

Of those selected only Mayo's made a Pro Bowl and only once in 2010. So your expectactions are a little high based on recent production. The only recent 10th overall pick that met those requirements would be Terrell Suggs.

I'm pretty sure Pro Bowlers have been drafted after 10, right?
Therefore they can be drafted at 10.
The goal is to do better than other teams.
So what other teams have done is irrelevant.
What has been done at one spot out of 200-plus is irrelevant.
I want what I want. The goal of any first-round pick should be to get a Pro Bowler. If you want to win, first we have to have high standards.

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Pro Bowlers have been drafted after 10, right?
Therefore they can be drafted at 10.
The goal is to do better than other teams.
So what other teams have done is irrelevant.
What has been done at one spot out of 200-plus is irrelevant.
I want what I want. The goal of any first-round pick should be to get a Pro Bowler. If you want to win, first we have to have high standards.
I'm just showing you that what you want might not happen. The goal of the draft is to improve the talent on this squad. If you want to win you can't accept that just because you have a guy that played the position last year and had mild success that he's going to be good enough. Ulimately I think Hairston is doomed to fail if expect him to start at LT. That's why I'm calling for us to call Reiff as think he is far superior to Hairston and think we can also get a far supperior talent then Donald Jones in the 2nd or even 3rd Round of this draft. Hence getting a better collection of players that will ultimately lead us to improve as a team.

acehole
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
fotget him and his t-rex arms

:lol:

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 07:59 PM
fotget him and his t-rex arms

:lol:
Is this where I make a joke about Floyd having alligator arms? :biggrin:

DynaPaul
04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Ok Mr.Scout. Just a terrible statement.

And the experts get it wrong every year.

DynaPaul
04-21-2012, 08:32 PM
How can you be "definitely not first round material" but be a "steal" in the second? where is the player's value? Is there a round 1.5?:trance:

Because he's a guy that's rated for the first round but shouldn't really be drafted that high. 2nd round I think is his true selection spot. Every year the experts get it wrong, why wouldn't my opinion be just as valued as theirs considering we've all looked at the guy? Because they get paid to be wrong with their bogus mock drafts?