PDA

View Full Version : Why Michael Floyd is the only logical choice

BillsOverDolphins
04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
As baal alluded to in the other thread, the NFL has evolved into a pass-happy league. That being said, there's 3 things that are most important in today's NFL:

1. A good to great QB.
2. Great WRs/receiving weapons
3. The ability to get pressure with your front four.

Fitz isn't the ideal QB, but he's not garbage either. Adding weapons like Floyd and Allen (pipedream) would only make him better. It would also satisfy the second criteria listed.

With the acquisitions of MW and MA, we have the potential to get pressure on the QB with just our front 4.

If we were to draft Floyd in the first and Dwayne Allen in the 2nd this team would be scary good on offense, imo. We're not going to win if we can't score points. Both of these guys are redzone monsters too.

After that, draft a QB or grab Sean Spence at OLB.

X-Era
04-21-2012, 11:47 AM
As baal alluded to in the other thread, the NFL has evolved into a pass-happy league. That being said, there's 3 things that are most important in today's NFL:

1. A good to great QB.

Fitz isn't the ideal QB, but he's not garbage either. Adding weapons like Floyd and Allen (pipedream) would only make him better. It would also satisfy the second criteria listed.

With the acquisitions of MW and MA, we have the potential to get pressure on the QB with just our front 4.

If we were to draft Floyd in the first and Dwayne Allen in the 2nd this team would be scary good on offense, imo. We're not going to win if we can't score points. Both of these guys are redzone monsters too.

I want Floyd more than any other potential pick at 10.

But, scoring points was not our problem last year... It was preventing them.

Furthermore, if this team wants to take the next step and compete for the division title and perpetually be in the running for the playoffs we must be able to consistently beat the Pats.

And to me our line and pass rush is now good enough but both our secondary and LB'ers can still be exploited. That could mean that Brady will eat us alive in the short game when we send in a big pass rush. We need to be solid in both the secondary and in the short areas.

So, I'm not someone who feels we must fill need #1 with our first pick... I think it can be much more fluid. And I also don't think Floyd would fill our biggest need... I think we have bigger needs. But, I'm a huge Floyd fan and he's the guy I'd like the most at 10.

Dujek
04-21-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm wearing my #3 Notre Dame jersey from now until the draft.

Slim
04-21-2012, 11:56 AM

I'm an Irish fan as well, and Floyd it one of my top 5 Irish players ever. But I'm just not getting the vibe that the Bills will pick him if he's there.

Bert102176
04-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm an Irish fan as well, and Floyd it one of my top 5 Irish players ever. But I'm just not getting the vibe that the Bills will pick him if he's there.

they better

DrGraves
04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Why I want Floyd/Blackmon:

Donald Jones --- Sucks
David Nelson --- meh, an okay #3 guy
Namaan Roosevelt --- I'm a UB grad but he isn't a number 2, or 3.
Ruvell Martin --- god awful, no hands
Marcus Easley --- I'm not about to hang my hat on a guy who has never played

Slim
04-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Why I want Floyd/Blackmon:

Donald Jones --- Sucks
David Nelson --- meh, an okay #3 guy
Namaan Roosevelt --- I'm a UB grad but he isn't a number 2, or 3.
Ruvell Martin --- god awful, no hands
Marcus Easley --- I'm not about to hang my hat on a guy who has never played

I'm right therewith you, WR is the sexiest pick we could make at ten. I'd be okay with Randle, Hill, Quick, Sanu, or Jeffrey later in the draft though. I feel like any of those guys are big upgrades over what we have now.

YardRat
04-21-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm not against Floyd by any means, he might be the only offensive player I'd be good with at 10, but 'Why Michael Floyd isn't the only logical choice'....

1. Defense wins championships.
2. He might be gone before we pick.

ServoBillieves
04-21-2012, 02:49 PM
As long as he doesn't go Jeff Samardzija on us.

OpIv37
04-21-2012, 03:00 PM
I have a #3 ND jersey too.... But when I got it, #3 was Ron Powlus :(

OpIv37
04-21-2012, 03:01 PM

1. A good to great QB.

As YR already alluded to, who's the logical choice if Floyd is off the board when we pick?

buffalobillsfan95
04-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Well there are allot of picks we could make that could fill a major hole, but the value of floyd at 10 is both bpa and fills a need. The only way to fill a hole while still getting great value is to trade back quite some.

McBFLO
04-21-2012, 03:14 PM
As YR already alluded to, who's the logical choice if Floyd is off the board when we pick?
Gilmore or Kirkpatrick. I don't want them to take a LT at #10. I don't know a ton about any of these OL, but none of the "experts" seem to be convinced that anyone after Kalil could step in and start at LT right from Day 1. I don't think we'll take an OL at #10 either, the way Buddy and the other FO guys were talking at the luncheon. I think it's a CB honestly, and I'd be happy with either of the guys mentioned above. But Foyd would be my first choice. He'd fill a big need and he could end up being a total stud.

Cali512
04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
The way i see it Floyd is even with Blackmon. If we were to get a CB wed get the 2nd-3rd best, same with LT, and at DE. Then theres Luke, but i feel safer with Morrison starting at OLB than Jones at WR. And to the guy that said brady will eat us up. We had a 3-4 D, which meant at LB we had Johnson and Kelsay at times. Thats nearly 600 lbs at OLB for us. Of course we had issues covering. But now we have Barnett on one side, and possibly a quicker LB for the other, but even Moorison would be decent. We havent seen Barnett, Sheppard, or even Moats/Batten play 4-3 LB for us yet, well see how they do

we are
04-21-2012, 04:59 PM
The way i see it Floyd is even with Blackmon. If we were to get a CB wed get the 2nd-3rd best, same with LT, and at DE. Then theres Luke, but i feel safer with Morrison starting at OLB than Jones at WR. And to the guy that said brady will eat us up. We had a 3-4 D, which meant at LB we had Johnson and Kelsay at times. Thats nearly 600 lbs at OLB for us. Of course we had issues covering. But now we have Barnett on one side, and possibly a quicker LB for the other, but even Moorison would be decent. We havent seen Barnett, Sheppard, or even Moats/Batten play 4-3 LB for us yet, well see how they do

Well we saw Moats play ILB, and that was a disaster.

SaviorEdwards
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
pass...I don't care about the possible character issues, he just seems vastly overrated because this is a weak WR class. But if the Bills get Western Michigan or Purdue on the schedule he could be a stud.

Slim
04-21-2012, 06:42 PM
pass...I don't care about the possible character issues, he just seems vastly overrated because this is a weak WR class. But if the Bills get Western Michigan or Purdue on the schedule he could be a stud.

This is actually a strong WR class. It may not "elite" talent, but the WR talent in round 2-5 is as good as its been in a while.

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 07:03 PM
This is actually a strong WR class. It may not "elite" talent, but the WR talent in round 2-5 is as good as its been in a while.
Which is one of the main arguments for not drafting Floyd in the 1st makes sense.

Slim
04-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Which is one of the main arguments for not drafting Floyd in the 1st makes sense.

I agree with you. I'm not Floyd or death at ten. I've just seen him play a lot, and offer my some-what biased opinion.

But you could make the same argument that this is a deep draft for CB's, OT's (to an extent), and LB's.

It will all come down to whose the BPA on Buddy's board.

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree with you. I'm not Floyd or death at ten. I've just seen him play a lot, and offer my some-what biased opinion.

But you could make the same argument that this is a deep draft for CB's, OT's (to an extent), and LB's.

It will all come down to whose the BPA on Buddy's board.
I don't mind biased but prefer it with some thought behind it. As I admit I'm biased to finding better talent along the lines before a WR. As to me we can find a good WR later that should be good enough to develop into a #2 or maybe better as depending who you believe the guy I like later (Marvin Jones) has drawn comparisons to Chad Johnson, Stevie Johnson and Donald Driver. All of whom would be a pretty good second option if ask me.

Turf
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
We def need a receiver.

Slim
04-21-2012, 07:21 PM
We def need a receiver.

The sun is hot.

Buffalogic
04-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Floyd would take the offense to another level. He's obviously the best option available outside of Blackmon. I could see a scenario where both of these guys are on the board when we pick. It would be a big mistake to take someone else if this were the case, because will will be hearing both these names a lot in the future no matter what team gets them. It might as well be us. Take the most talented player. The most talent is at wide receiver where we select.

BillsOverDolphins
04-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Another WR, like Hill or Jeffery

SquishDaFish
04-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Another WR, like Hill or Jeffery

Neither of those WRs will be taken in top 15

BillsOverDolphins
04-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Neither of those WRs will be taken in top 15

Will either of them make it to pick #41?

Reaching for an OT or CB that don't belong in the Top 10 is also a sketchy move.

We need weapons in the passing game. That's all I care about. Everybody who wants Kirkpatrick or Gilmore is kidding themselves if they think either of the latter will have more of an impact than a playmaking WR.

We (supposedly) fixed the most important defensive aspect of the game by acquiring 2 pass rushers.

As it stands if we draft a LB or CB first then we have the potential to be the 2003 Bills again. Solid defense with a crap offense that can't stretch the field.