PDA

View Full Version : Rob Johnson on NFL network now

chernobylwraiths
04-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Top ten one shot wonders

The Jokeman
04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd imagine you can watch the same video here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T1yUcCx5j-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THRILLHO
04-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Ugh. Don't even get me started on R. Johnson. My most hated athlete.

Ginger Vitis
04-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Rob Johnson is the reason why I laughed at all the "Trade for Kevin Kolb" threads last year

Johnny Bugmenot
04-21-2012, 11:07 PM
I swear, all NFL Network ever airs in primetime anymore are these silly countdown shows.

feldspar
04-22-2012, 01:45 AM
I swear, all NFL Network ever airs in primetime anymore are these silly countdown shows.

They can be pretty entertaining though. They're certainly better than watching the same NFL Access show all day long. They play that over and over.

Who was #1 in this countdown?

mush69
04-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Ugh. Don't even get me started on R. Johnson. My most hated athlete.

He got his SB ring holding the starters Gatoraide too!

Cali512
04-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow just watching that made me realize, Matt Flynn is defintly Rob Johnson part 2. Sorry Seattle

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
They can be pretty entertaining though. They're certainly better than watching the same NFL Access show all day long. They play that over and over.

Who was #1 in this countdown?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/odJfsOMChJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cali512
04-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Bill Walsh really was a bad talent evaluator at times. He proclaimed 3 people as the next Montana, and all were horrible and gone after 2 years

BADTHINGSMAN
04-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Who did the Jags end up drafting with the 1st Buffalo gave up?

Cali512
04-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Who did the Jags end up drafting with the 1st Buffalo gave up?

Fred Taylor

Ginger Vitis
04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
He proclaimed 3 people as the next Montana, and all were horrible and gone after 2 years

One was Rick Mirer.. Who were the other 2?

BADTHINGSMAN
04-22-2012, 03:51 PM
One was Rick Mirer.. Who were the other 2?

Didnt he also claim Trent Edwards the next Montana?

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah but sadly the Bills haven't had a good any draft classes that compared to the 1986 49ers draft to pair with Montana.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80222fc0/Top-Ten-Draft-Classes-1986-San-Francisco-49ers

Skooby
04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Bill Walsh really was a bad talent evaluator at times. He proclaimed 3 people as the next Montana, and all were horrible and gone after 2 years

Trent Edwards being one of them, Oye.

baalworship
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
I've moved on.

Cali512
04-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Yes and in the video, the guy that was number one was also founded by Walsh and was the next Bradshaw. But he got injured, he may of been right because he was great the first year, but still another player that never made it.

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Yes and in the video, the guy that was number one was also founded by Walsh and was the next Bradshaw. But he got injured, he may of been right because he was great the first year, but still another player that never made it.
Was he a real find? He was the 5th overall pick in the 1969 draft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Cook.

MTBillsFan
04-22-2012, 08:34 PM

I'm pretty sure he said that Trent Edwards was the best QB in the draft that year.

feldspar
04-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry, but I'll never like Rob Johnson. One of the Bills' biggest mistakes EVER was to start him in the Titans game over Flutie, who had heart and had gotten them to that point. Thought so at the time as well.

Are you guys familiar with that QB challenge thing that takes place on ESPN at the end of the year, where certain QBs compete in various drills for a substantial amount of money for the winnner? They throw footballs at targets and things like that...anyway, Rob Johnson was in it one year, and he was about to actually win. He just needed one point (or something like that) to win it all on the last challenge. What does he do?

He throws the football at the targets further away. All he had to do was hit ONE close target, I believe. We are talking about tens of thousands of dollars here, or a LOT of money. While he was going for the further targets, the camera went to the other QBs (I think Trent Dilfer was one of them). They were like "what the HELL is this guy doing?"

So Johnson misses the further targets and loses the competition as well as the big payoff. They interviewed him afterword, asking him why he didn't just check down to the easier targets for the win. He said, and I quote, "I didn't want to win THAT way." Can you believe that? It's true.

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Sorry, but I'll never like Rob Johnson. One of the Bills' biggest mistakes EVER was to start him in the Titans game over Flutie, who had heart and had gotten them to that point. Thought so at the time as well.

Are you guys familiar with that QB challenge thing that takes place on ESPN at the end of the year, where certain QBs compete in various drills for a substantial amount of money for the winnner? They throw footballs at targets and things like that...anyway, Rob Johnson was in it one year, and he was about to actually win. He just needed one point (or something like that) to win it all on the last challenge. What does he do?

He throws the football at the targets further away. All he had to do was hit ONE close target, I believe. We are talking about tens of thousands of dollars here, or a LOT of money. While he was going for the further targets, the camera went to the other QBs (I think Trent Dilfer was one of them). They were like "what the HELL is this guy doing?"

So Johnson misses the further targets and loses the competition as well as the big payoff. They interviewed him afterword, asking him why he didn't just check down to the easier targets for the win. He said, and I quote, "I didn't want to win THAT way." Can you believe that? It's true.
Yeah so basically your putting hate on a guy because he actually challenged himself to achieve greatness instead of taking the easy way out. Because had he won we'd be hearing how great he was in some rinky dink workout but can't do it in real games. RJ can't win. I still maintain if someone makes a tackle on hometurn throwback people would be applauding RJ's work in that final drive to the FG that put us ahead of Tennessee but instead it's forgotten because the Bills lost the game. Meanwhile let's cheer for Flutie who had a chance to beat the Dolphins in the 1998 playoffs but ironically enough gets sacked and fumbles the ball away. Yet people seem to forget that too because doesn't fit in with the Flutie is a winner at all costs scenario.

feldspar
04-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah so basically your putting hate on a guy because he actually challenged himself to achieve greatness instead of taking the easy way out.

LOL, are you talking about the QB challenge? Did you read what I wrote? What's all that about the "easy way out?" It's very simple, really. You are out of your mind to think that it was a good idea for Rob to go for the further targets. He had it in the bag, but he screwed it up by trying to show off, basically...that's what I think.

The only thing potentially great about that situation is Johnson's level of stupidity, which was great. Do you have no perspective, or what?

RJ can't win.

You got that right.

I still maintain if someone makes a tackle on hometurn throwback people would be applauding RJ's work in that final drive to the FG that put us ahead of Tennessee but instead it's forgotten because the Bills lost the game. Meanwhile let's cheer for Flutie who had a chance to beat the Dolphins in the 1998 playoffs but ironically enough gets sacked and fumbles the ball away. Yet people seem to forget that too because doesn't fit in with the Flutie is a winner at all costs scenario.

You bring up Flutie in that Miami playoff game? He was downright heroic in that game. AMAZING performance and totally clutch to get us in position to win that game. Andre Reed SCORED that TD, but they didn't call it a TD. It was ABSOLUTELY a TD. He gets up angry, bumps into the ref accidentally, and they call THAT a penalty and eject him from the game. We settle for a fieldgoal because of that BS, then need ANOTHER TD on top of that, which we were on the doorstep of getting. AMAZING that we had that chance, given the amount of time left in the game, and Flutie had everything to do with it.

Totally BS calls by the officials in that game...more than one crucial call, too. Usually, I don't cry about that, but this time it was obvious. The team was talking about it afterword...I've watched that game more than once. Reminded me a little of the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl with the calls. Flutie threw a HUGE bomb to Moulds on the first pass on a HUGE play, and Moulds fumbled...and that crazy game went from there. If you don't think Flutie was the MAN in that game, I don't know what to tell you. Focus on the final offensive play...shame on you.

Rob Johnson did not play well in that Titans game on the other hand. People talk about the heroic effort to run without his shoe on the final fieldgoal drive, but he didn't show anything that whole game, really. We did have the #1 defense in the league that year, I believe. Even Wade Phillips thinks that we would have won that game had Flutie played it. I think we had a great chance to be in that Super Bowl that year had we stuck with Flutie.

Johnson was a good thrower of the football, but he was not a good football player. Flutie was a baller.

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
LOL, are you talking about the QB challenge? Did you read what I wrote? What's all that about the "easy way out?" It's very simple, really. You are out of your mind to think that it was a good idea for Rob to go for the further targets. He had it in the bag, but he screwed it up by trying to show off, basically...that's what I think.

The only thing potentially great about that situation is Johnson's level of stupidity, which was great. Do you have no perspective, or what?

You got that right.

You bring up Flutie in that Miami playoff game? He was downright heroic in that game. AMAZING performance and totally clutch to get us in position to win that game. Andre Reed SCORED that TD, but they didn't call it a TD. He gets up angry, bumps into the ref accidentally, and they call THAT a penalty and eject him from the game. We settle for a fieldgoal because of that BS, then need ANOTHER TD on top of that, which we were on the doorstep of getting. AMAZING that we had that chance, given the amount of time left in the game, and Flutie had everything to do with it.

Totally BS calls by the officials in that game...more than one crucial call, too. Usually, I don't cry about that, but this time it was obvious. The team was talking about it afterword...I've watched that game more than once. Reminded me a little of the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl with the calls. Flutie threw a bomb to Moulds on the first pass on a HUGE play Moulds fumbled. If you don't think Flutie was the MAN in that game, I don't know what to tell you. Focus on the final offensive play...shame on you.

Rob Johnson did not play well in that Titans game on the other hand. People talk about the heroic effort to run without his shoe on the final fieldgoal drive, but he didn't show anything that whole game, really. We did have the #1 defense in the league that year, I believe. Even Wade Phillips thinks that we would have won that game had Flutie played it. I think we had a great chance to be in that Super Bowl that year had we stuck with Flutie.

Johnson was a good thrower of the football, but he was not a good football player. Flutie was a baller.
Again you prove my exact point you as you point out how poor RJ was for not winning the contest and the claim the contest was a joke when I bring up where RJ's mindset was in why he lost. Instead of throwing a check down to win he went long. Or in otherwords go big or go home. Again in essence no matter what he would have done you would have flawed him when now show that you feel the QB Challenge is a joke.

I remember Flutie also threw a costly interception in that Miami playoff game too, I'm pretty sure it was just before the half. So, no I wasn't focused on the final play only just it's something that people tend to want to dismiss when discuss the greatness of Flutie. Again Flutie was an average QB at best as good as he was in some moments he was also very poor in others.

I will admit that on the whole RJ was horrible for most of that Tennessee playoff game except that final drive. Yet Flutie did the same thing for most of the season and he was playing pretty poorly down the stretch run of that season and am sure played a part in why he was ultimately benched. But then again the 1998 Flutie was the one people seem to remember not the 1999 version. No one knows for sure what would have really happened had Flutie started that game but RJ did do his job and put the Bills in position to win that game with the final drive as when he left the field we had a lead which is more than Flutie can say in that 1998 playoff game.

Bottom line: Flutie was an average NFL QB, RJ was below average. Either way I've always been upset we didn't let RJ playout the 1998 and 1999 seasons because 1)we would have probably look to replace him sooner than later or 2)he might have developed into something better.

feldspar
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Again you prove my exact point you as you point out how poor RJ was for not winning the contest and the claim the contest was a joke when bring up where RJ's mindset was in why he lost. Instead of throwing a check down to win he went long. Or in otherwords go big or go home. Again in essence no matter what he would have done you would have flawed him when now show that you feel the QB Challenge is a joke.

Wow, I'm actually speechless that you can take this slant. Your sentences were hard to read, but I think I get the point.

You couldn't be more wrong. Could...not...be...more...wrong. Period.

Are you dense, or what? Take this analogy under consideration: say you had the opportunity to win $25,000 in a golfing scenario. All you had to do was hit in a putt. Now, they give you a choice of putting from 5-10 feet or from 50 feet. Which one would you choose, and why?

If you choose the 50-foot putt, you are stupid, plain and simple. You don't go big or go home, you go home poor or rich. It's called being smart. EVERYONE was flabbergasted by RJ's decision to go for the longer targets.

Yet to think Flutie would have lead us to the Super Bowl that year is foolish.

Whatever with the rest of what you said, but we had that game won (apart from a fluke controversial crazy play at the end) with an inferior QB playing. The team that "beat" us went to the Super Bowl. They came within a yard from bringing that game into overtime. We were BETTER than the Titans that year, and Flutie was sure as hell better than Johnson that year or any other. Not to mention the fact that the team itself was WAY behind Flutie over Johnson, which cannot be underestimated.

bf1
04-22-2012, 10:24 PM
never forget watching rj when he left us for tampa. one drive got sacked 6 times. he drove the ball what added up to 120 yards. they get down to the 1 yard line, then he gets sacked for the 6th time and fumbled the ball away.

bf1
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
can't believe I found the box score lol

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200212230tam.htm

bf1
04-22-2012, 10:30 PM
maybe it was 4 times and not quite 120 yards...

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Wow, I'm actually speechless that you can take this slant. Your sentences were hard to read, but I think I get the point.

You couldn't be more wrong. Could...not...be...more...wrong. Period.

Are you dense, or what? Take this analogy under consideration: say you had the opportunity to win $25,000 in a golfing scenario. All you had to do was hit in a putt. Now, they give you a choice of putting from 5-10 feet or from 50 feet. Which one would you choose, and why?

If you choose the 50-foot putt, you are stupid, plain and simple. You don't go big or go home, you go home poor or rich. It's called being smart. EVERYONE was flabbergasted by RJ's decision to go for the longer targets.

Whatever with the rest of what you said, but we had that game won (apart from a fluke controversial crazy play at the end) with an inferior QB playing. The team that "beat" us went to the Super Bowl. They came within a yard from bringing that game into overtime. We were BETTER than the Titans that year, and Flutie was sure as hell better than Johnson that year or any other. Not to mention the fact that the team itself was WAY behind Flutie over Johnson, which cannot be underestimated.

I'm only demonstrating where RJ was coming from. Am I completely defending him? Only partly because honestly I get sick of the love Flutie gets because he's not this great some like to make him out to be and as a result end up defending RJ because his play wasn't always as poor as some like to make it out to be.

Was Flutie really that much better than RJ?
Let's look back Week 16 the Bills scored 13 points, Week 15 the Bills scored 31 points, Week 14 the Bills scored 17, Week 12 the Bills scored 17 points, Week 11 the Bills scored 7. I could continue but it was obvious the Bills offense was far from potent in those final few weeks with Flutie in 1999.

feldspar
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm only demonstrating where RJ was coming from. Am I completely defending him? Only partly because honestly I get sick of the love Flutie gets because he's not this great some like to make him out to be and as a result end up defending RJ because his play wasn't always as poor as some like to make it out to be.

There is no defending where RJ was coming from...not at all. You don't try to win in spectacular fashion, you just try to win.

RJ was a poor QB, and you can't defend that, all Flutie opinions aside. What happened in that competition had nothing to do with Flutie, for certain.

RJ did not have the instincts or fortitude to be an effective QB.

Was Flutie really that much better than RJ?

Yes, in just about every category that matters.