PDA

View Full Version : Talk heats up that Matt Kalil could slide

Philagape
04-22-2012, 11:42 AM
We noted last week that the Vikings have interest in not just Kalil but also Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon and LSU’s Morris Claiborne, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter this morning that the interest from the Vikings in all three of those players is very real. The word out of Minnesota is that the Vikings have not decided to take Kalil, contrary to what has been believed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/talk-heats-up-that-matt-kalil-could-slide/

Last year, we dreamed and it came true. Is it totally inconceivable this time?

better days
04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/talk-heats-up-that-matt-kalil-could-slide/

I don't see him sliding all the way to the Bills, but if he slides as far as Tampa, I think the Bucs would be happy to trade their pick to the Bills, especially if Clayborne is off the board.

tampabay25690
04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't see him sliding all the way to the Bills, but if he slides as far as Tampa, I think the Bucs would be happy to trade their pick to the Bills, especially if Clayborne is off the board.

Buffalo knows that Tampa wont take Kalil though.
But they might want to get out of that spot though.

That would suck for TB if Richardson and Claiborne are gone. These are the 2 guys that the Bucs want.

YardRat
04-22-2012, 11:50 AM
They are looking to move back a couple of spots and pick up an extra pick or two. Minnesota may not end up taking Kalil, but he probably won't last past five if that's the case.

Cali512
04-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Indi- Andrew Luck QB
Wash- Robert Griffin QB
Min- Morris Claiborne CB
Clev- Trent Richardson RB
TB- Justin Blackmon WR
Stl- Fletcher Cox DT
Jack- Quinton Coples DE
Mia- David DeCastro G
Car- Mark Barron S
Buff- Matt Kalil OT

Barring no trades

EDS
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Imagine if we got screwed and had to take Von Miller last year! That would have sucked . . .

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Indi- Andrew Luck QB
Wash- Robert Griffin QB
Min- Morris Claiborne CB
TB- Justin Blackmon WR
Stl- Fletcher Cox DT
Jack- Quinton Coples DE
Mia- David DeCastro G
Car- Mark Barron S
Buff- Matt Kalil OT

Barring no trades
I can't see the Rams passing on Kalil in that mock, I also can't see the Phins taking DeCastro over Tannehill. Yet I'd love to be wrong.

Cali512
04-22-2012, 12:18 PM
I can't see the Rams passing on Kalil in that mock, I also can't see the Phins taking DeCastro over Tannehill. Yet I'd love to be wrong.

Everyone seems to think they're in love with Fletcher, and i think everyone knows that its defintly not set in stone that Kalil wont be there. But with everyone still bring up him sliding, and how much STL loves Fletcher. I think the big news is that no one has mentioned Kalil with Stl at all. It seems like no matter what its Fletcher, Richardson, or Blackmon. I dont think Kalil is in there sites. With Miami, if they get Tannehill there set back another few years again in my opinion. With DeCastro, theyre taking a step forward. The last really good pick they had was on Long, and i cant see the Dolphins reaching on another prospect.

Raptor
04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Now that we are in the home stretch this is the time i believe no rumors about sliding rising players and deals being made

Cali512
04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Imagine if we got screwed and had to take Von Miller last year! That would have sucked . . .

Interestingly if Denver didnt get him. We wouldnt have Dareus, Anderson, Mario, and possibly sheppard (depending how need change)

Don't Panic
04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Trade up to #5 if he's there and I would be in heaven... especially if we could get them to take a 2013 2nd as the other piece in the deal. I'd be tempted to give them this year's 2nd if it would get it done. IMO getting Kalil would leave us without a glaring weakness. We could get CB/WR/LB/TE help in the 3rd, 4th and 5th and I really think we're at least above average everywhere else. If the opportunity presents itself, jump on it!

The Jokeman
04-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Everyone seems to think they're in love with Fletcher, and i think everyone knows that its defintly not set in stone that Kalil wont be there. But with everyone still bring up him sliding, and how much STL loves Fletcher. I think the big news is that no one has mentioned Kalil with Stl at all. It seems like no matter what its Fletcher, Richardson, or Blackmon. I dont think Kalil is in there sites. With Miami, if they get Tannehill there set back another few years again in my opinion. With DeCastro, theyre taking a step forward. The last really good pick they had was on Long, and i cant see the Dolphins reaching on another prospect.
Teams reach all the time when the idea of "franchise QB" is part of the arguement. Yet I've always said the first word in that phrase is franchise. In other words build the franchise and then you can find a QB.

kingJofNYC
04-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Jason Smith restructured his contract with the Rams. Making less money this year, but in '13 he's set to make 11m, they can cut him before the start of the '13 season and not pay a dime.

No way Kalil drops past the Rams.

djjimkelly
04-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Indi- Andrew Luck QB
Wash- Robert Griffin QB
Min- Morris Claiborne CB
TB- Justin Blackmon WR
Stl- Fletcher Cox DT
Jack- Quinton Coples DE
Mia- David DeCastro G
Car- Mark Barron S
Buff- Matt Kalil OT

Barring no trades

no way kalil isnt the first lineman

Philagape
04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Now that we are in the home stretch this is the time i believe no rumors about sliding rising players and deals being made

Last year, for most of draft season, the consensus seemed to be that Denver would take Dareus No. 2.
Then like a week before the draft, the buzz broke that they were targeting Miller. And they did.
So that's why I'm not dismissing this. I'm not counting on it of course.

Skooby
04-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Last year, for most of draft season, the consensus seemed to be that Denver would take Dareus No. 2.
Then like a week before the draft, the buzz broke that they were targeting Miller. And they did.

Things change when it comes time to close the deal, it can change at any point before it closes as well.

Dr. Lecter
04-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Big difference from falling one spot and falling 7.

Kalil will be long gone by 10

Philagape
04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Big difference from falling one spot and falling 7.

Kalil will be long gone by 10

I didn't say anything about 10. If he falls to 6 or 7, a trade-up is feasible.

feldspar
04-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Matt Kalil is Buffalo's dream pick in this draft. If he fell to the Bills, the pick would be a no-brainer. The problem is that somebody is likely to trade up for him before the Bills pick IMO. I don't think Buddy is willing to give up big draft picks to move up himself to get Kalil. I've been wrong before, but I don't see Nix doing that. We'll see what happens...

Matt Kalil's father was drafted by the Buffalo Bills as a Guard in 1982 in the 11th round...he went to the USFL instead.

ct bills fan
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Trade up to #5 if he's there and I would be in heaven... especially if we could get them to take a 2013 2nd as the other piece in the deal. I'd be tempted to give them this year's 2nd if it would get it done. IMO getting Kalil would leave us without a glaring weakness. We could get CB/WR/LB/TE help in the 3rd, 4th and 5th and I really think we're at least above average everywhere else. If the opportunity presents itself, jump on it!

If all it took to move from #10 to #5 was a future 2nd rounder, Even Buddy would do it. It would take more than that, probably this years 32 and enxt years #2, at least.

psubills62
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
I think he can fall past the Vikings. However, there's no way he gets to 10.

Saratoga Slim
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Not for nothing, but if we got Von miller last year, we'd have some very nice DTs to pick from at 10 this year.....Hindsight.....

psubills62
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Wow, that's quite a jump. Where did anyone say anything about being screwed if Kalil doesn't fall?

Michael82
04-23-2012, 12:30 AM
If Kalil slides out of the top 3, Buffalo HAS to trade up for him IMO. He's that good.

B-DON
04-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Another tidbit from PFT on kalil.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/leslie-frazier-says-left-tackle-may-not-be-a-game-changer/

“You’ve got to really weigh your options,” coach Leslie Frazier told Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Because the philosophy [in the NFL] has always been to get the game-changer. And left tackle is not necessarily the game-changer.* Usually game-changers are the guys who can score you points. Receivers.* Quarterbacks.* So what are we measuring that left tackle against?* It’s a loaded debate.”

Blacksheep71
04-23-2012, 04:42 AM
There's also no reason to think that TB won't take him.

They need to keep Freeman upright, and even if he is initially used as a RT like the Cowboys used Smith, he's a significant upgrade on Trueblood.

Night Train
04-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Well if he does slide, there's going to be a lot of bruised internet ego's here.

jamze132
04-23-2012, 05:49 AM
I don't like trading up for an O-lineman. If he falls, great, take him. Don't give up picks to draft anyone outside of a franchise QB.

Night Train
04-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't like trading up for an O-lineman. If he falls, great, take him. Don't give up picks to draft anyone outside of a franchise QB.
This

better days
04-23-2012, 08:31 AM
There's also no reason to think that TB won't take him.

They need to keep Freeman upright, and even if he is initially used as a RT like the Cowboys used Smith, he's a significant upgrade on Trueblood.

Well, Kalil has not played in the NFL yet, it is debatable if he well even be as good as Trueblood. look at Mike Williams who was thought of as a can"t miss prospect when the Bills drafted him.

The Bucs have one of the better OLs in the NFL. As a Bucs fan, I would rather see them draft Clayborne or trade down than draft Kalil myself.

alnilla
04-23-2012, 09:26 AM
If he falls to us great. If not I hope they don't trade up and get him he's not worth the loss of picks thats need to move up a few spots when Floyd will have a bigger impact then what a OT can for us right now.

TedMock
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm also not convinced that Claiborne is the guy if Minnesota opts to pass on Kalil. Not sure how well Claiborne fits schematically, but he's certainly not out of the running either. Part of me thinks they may be targeting a viable number 1 WR too. Harvin is good, but not that.

ParanoidAndroid
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Matt Kalil is Buffalo's dream pick in this draft. If he fell to the Bills, the pick would be a no-brainer. The problem is that somebody is likely to trade up for him before the Bills pick IMO. I don't think Buddy is willing to give up big draft picks to move up himself to get Kalil. I've been wrong before, but I don't see Nix doing that. We'll see what happens...

Matt Kalil's father was drafted by the Buffalo Bills as a Guard in 1982 in the 11th round...he went to the USFL instead.

If he slides, it means he isn't high on team draft boards. A team that moves up would have to know something everybody else didn't if they se fit to use extra picks on him.

X-Era
04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I think this has very little chance of happening. But heres the teams above us and who they have... And I'm skipping Indy and Wash since we know their picks.

Minn- Really no one... DeMarcus Love and Phil Loadholt
Browns- Joe Thomas #1 pick in the draft that year
TB- Donald Penn
STL- Jason Smith #2 pick in that draft, going into his 4th year. and Roger Saffold
Jax- Eugene Monroe #8 pick in 09 and Eben Britton
Mia- Jake Long #1 pick in 08
Car- Bruce Campbell, Jeff Otah, and Lee Zeimba

So I think the most likely landing spots are of course the Vikes, but then Car and to a lesser degree TB or STL.

I actually think if he isn't taken by the Vikes he could be drafted right in front of us by the Panthers.

The Jokeman
04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
I think this has very little chance of happening. But heres the teams above us and who they have... And I'm skipping Indy and Wash since we know their picks.

Minn- Really no one... DeMarcus Love and Phil Loadholt
Browns- Joe Thomas #1 pick in the draft that year
TB- Donald Penn
STL- Jason Smith #2 pick in that draft, going into his 4th year. and Roger Saffold
Jax- Eugene Monroe #8 pick in 09 and Eben Britton
Mia- Jake Long #1 pick in 08
Car- Bruce Campbell, Jeff Otah, and Lee Zeimba

So I think the most likely landing spots are of course the Vikes, but then Car and to a lesser degree TB or STL.

I actually think if he isn't taken by the Vikes he could be drafted right in front of us by the Panthers.
The Panthers could also be eyeing Luke Kuechly as they have two of their best guys coming off of injuries in Jon Beason and Thomas Davis. Davis has actually missed parts of the last two seasons. Their GM has also shown that he doesn't mind taking LBs in the first round as the aforementioned players were both 1st Rounders and pretty sure he was around when they made Dan Morgan a 1st Rounder too. Yet think Melvin Ingram might go to them as he projects at LB and can give them some much needed pass rush too.