PDA

View Full Version : Who Are The Bills going to draft?

baalworship
04-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Most of the threads are arguments about who we personally want and that is fine. Let's discuss who we think the Bills are actually looking at with the 10th pick. Let's also be careful not to put in players here just because we like them but give real reasons why Buddy & Chan are considering them.

I'll start with my list:

Michael Floyd- There has been a lot made of the fact that he was not one of the 30 invited to One Bills Drive. And I agree that this is the strongest point against him. However, there are reasons that suggest he could be taken.

1.Buddy Nix was asked about the character question with regard to Michael Floyd. He did not hesitate to say that the Bills thought his character was fine.

2.Buddy has stated he wanted a playmaker, difference maker with the 10th pick. Of all the people we could draft with this pick only Floyd and Blackmon make me think of the word "playmaker". Floyd is a TD machine who is a receiver that can make plays even when he is covered. This was another thing Nix alluded to.

3. Michael Floyd fits the physical prototype that Nix seems to prefer. He is big at 6'3" 225 lbs and has a 37 inch vertical with 4.42 speed. He was also ridiculously productive in college with 38 td's and is not a one year wonder. Reminds me of another Nix pick Vincent Jackson. When asked about Floyd the Bills used multiple positive adjectives. "Big, Physical, Great Body-Control, Upside".

4. Bills clearly saw WR as a need as they tried to sign Robert Meachem but couldn't match the numbers San Diego offered him.

5. One last thing with regards to him not visiting. Nix said he would normally have a first round pick visit but that every 2-3 years he would break the mold. Well, we are on year 3.

Cordy Glenn-This is my personal belief in the most likely at 10.

1.Cordy Glenn was invited by the Bills along with Jonathan Martin. Based on what I am seeing with regards to where these players will be selected I think the Bills like Cordy Glenn more. Watch Whaley again discuss each LT prospect. Only Glenn seemed to get the highest praise. They talked about size, athleticism and said they saw Glenn as a tackle, not guard. They also said they could see him performing at a high level at tackle.

2. Cordy Glenn is the physical prototype Nix prefers. 6'5" 345 lbs with nice athleticism. Even better he plays with a mean streak and mauls people. He is also not a one year wonder and played at a high level in the SEC for many years at guard and tackle. Buddy loves his SEC players.

3.Player that is just scratching the surface at tackle according to writeup on buffalobills.com. At the Senior Bowl he held his own against the best pass-rushers in college and held his own against Quinton Coples.

4.Cordy Glenn's biggest weakness is his technique but that is something that can be fixed the easiest with good coaching. Guess who has one of the top o-line coaches in the NFL? The Bills

5.Much has been made that Nix stated Hairston could play left tackle. But let's go back a few months where Chan Gailey himself said he didn't think Hairston was ready to start this year at that spot. What we are hearing now is a bit of mis-direction, IMO. The Bills will start Hairston if they have to but they clearly are looking for an upgrade and said they will draft 2 tackles fairly early.

Stephon Gilmore-

1.Bills also want to draft a cornerback every year. With the pending FA of McKelvin and the spotty play of Drayton Florence if they see a shut-down corner they will give a good look.

2. Bills love Gilmore and they couldn't hide it. “We like him,” said director of college scouting Chuck Cook. “We think he's a good, strong, sturdy corner that can press, can run in a hip pocket and he makes plays. We like his physicalness in coming up in support.” They also like Kirkpatrick but they seemed more lukewarm on him and I only see him here if we traded back.

3. Gilmore is the prototype at his position. 6 feet tall (which is big for a corner) and has 4.4 speed. Played many years in the SEC. So no one year wonder.

4. Cornerback is a premium position and good ones go early. If the Bills like Gilmore he has to be high on their overall board.

Ryan Tannehill-This one is my wild card. I don't think we will have to consider him because I expect the Dolphins to pull the trigger but if they pass all bets are off.

1. He did visit One Bills Drive. As for why the Bills would look at him let's consider some of the following Nix ideas. Buddy has said if there is franchise QB on the board and you don't have one you draft him. He also said it's best to draft one when you already have someone decent (Fitz). Remember, Nix drafted a QB with the 4th overall pick when he already had Drew Brees. Don't think he thinks Fitz is not upgradeable. We would have drafted Newton last year if available, by all accounts.

2.He is a raw prospect but scouts are projecting him well. Bill Polian thinks he will be a good QB. So as much as I was not impressed with his stats in big games NFL teams do have to project how players will develop.

3.I got this whole idea when listening to this interview of a former Cleveland Browns scout say he thought the Bills would take Tannehill if available because he fit what Gailey ultimately wanted. Big, cannon arm and mobility.

Now I also think the Bills like other players like Fletcher Cox and Justin Blackmon but removed them simply because I don't think they will be available and I assume the Bills mocks might say the same thing.

Have at it.

acehole
04-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Corey glens problem is not technique ...it it tenacity ...he doesnt play as big as his size,...they love steven hill....dont be to suprised if either of these two is the pick... Dallas want barron and castro bad...they may be the best trading partner for use as we dont want to go down to far and miss one of these two guys.

UOTE=baalworship]Most of the threads are arguments about who we personally want and that is fine. Let's discuss who we think the Bills are actually looking at with the 10th pick. Let's also be careful not to put in players here just because we like them but give real reasons why Buddy & Chan are considering them.

I'll start with my list:

Michael Floyd- There has been a lot made of the fact that he was not one of the 30 invited to One Bills Drive. And I agree that this is the strongest point against him. However, there are reasons that suggest he could be taken.

1.Buddy Nix was asked about the character question with regard to Michael Floyd. He did not hesitate to say that the Bills thought his character was fine.

2.Buddy has stated he wanted a playmaker, difference maker with the 10th pick. Of all the people we could draft with this pick only Floyd and Blackmon make me think of the word "playmaker". Floyd is a TD machine who is a receiver that can make plays even when he is covered. This was another thing Nix alluded to.

3. Michael Floyd fits the physical prototype that Nix seems to prefer. He is big at 6'3" 225 lbs and has a 37 inch vertical with 4.42 speed. He was also ridiculously productive in college with 38 td's and is not a one year wonder. Reminds me of another Nix pick Vincent Jackson. When asked about Floyd the Bills used multiple positive adjectives. "Big, Physical, Great Body-Control, Upside".

4. Bills clearly saw WR as a need as they tried to sign Robert Meachem but couldn't match the numbers San Diego offered him.

5. One last thing with regards to him not visiting. Nix said he would normally have a first round pick visit but that every 2-3 years he would break the mold. Well, we are on year 3.

Cordy Glenn-This is my personal belief in the most likely at 10.

1.Cordy Glenn was invited by the Bills along with Jonathan Martin. Based on what I am seeing with regards to where these players will be selected I think the Bills like Cordy Glenn more. Watch Whaley again discuss each LT prospect. Only Glenn seemed to get the highest praise. They talked about size, athleticism and said they saw Glenn as a tackle, not guard. They also said they could see him performing at a high level at tackle.

2. Cordy Glenn is the physical prototype Nix prefers. 6'5" 345 lbs with nice athleticism. Even better he plays with a mean streak and mauls people. He is also not a one year wonder and played at a high level in the SEC for many years at guard and tackle. Buddy loves his SEC players.

3.Player that is just scratching the surface at tackle according to writeup on buffalobills.com. At the Senior Bowl he held his own against the best pass-rushers in college and held his own against Quinton Coples.

4.Cordy Glenn's biggest weakness is his technique but that is something that can be fixed the easiest with good coaching. Guess who has one of the top o-line coaches in the NFL? The Bills

5.Much has been made that Nix stated Hairston could play left tackle. But let's go back a few months where Chan Gailey himself said he didn't think Hairston was ready to start this year at that spot. What we are hearing now is a bit of mis-direction, IMO. The Bills will start Hairston if they have to but they clearly are looking for an upgrade and said they will draft 2 tackles fairly early.

Stephon Gilmore-

1.Bills also want to draft a cornerback every year. With the pending FA of McKelvin and the spotty play of Drayton Florence if they see a shut-down corner they will give a good look.

2. Bills love Gilmore and they couldn't hide it. “We like him,” said director of college scouting Chuck Cook. “We think he's a good, strong, sturdy corner that can press, can run in a hip pocket and he makes plays. We like his physicalness in coming up in support.” They also like Kirkpatrick but they seemed more lukewarm on him and I only see him here if we traded back.

3. Gilmore is the prototype at his position. 6 feet tall (which is big for a corner) and has 4.4 speed. Played many years in the SEC. So no one year wonder.

4. Cornerback is a premium position and good ones go early. If the Bills like Gilmore he has to be high on their overall board.

Ryan Tannehill-This one is my wild card. I don't think we will have to consider him because I expect the Dolphins to pull the trigger but if they pass all bets are off.

1. He did visit One Bills Drive. As for why the Bills would look at him let's consider some of the following Nix ideas. Buddy has said if there is franchise QB on the board and you don't have one you draft him. He also said it's best to draft one when you already have someone decent (Fitz). Remember, Nix drafted a QB with the 4th overall pick when he already had Drew Brees. Don't think he thinks Fitz is not upgradeable. We would have drafted Newton last year if available, by all accounts.

2.He is a raw prospect but scouts are projecting him well. Bill Polian thinks he will be a good QB. So as much as I was not impressed with his stats in big games NFL teams do have to project how players will develop.

3.I got this whole idea when listening to this interview of a former Cleveland Browns scout say he thought the Bills would take Tannehill if available because he fit what Gailey ultimately wanted. Big, cannon arm and mobility.

Now I also think the Bills like other players like Fletcher Cox and Justin Blackmon but removed them simply because I don't think they will be available and I assume the Bills mocks might say the same thing.

Have at it.[/QUOTE]