PDA

View Full Version : Coples likely out of the first?

kingJofNYC
04-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Haven't been a fan of his, but the dissenters are getting louder and louder. Mayock trashed him, Greg Cosell doesn't see a first round prospect, seems like his stock as at an all time low. Is he going to take a long fall like Carlos Dunlap, Calais Campbell and Bowers?

YardRat
04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Anything is possible, I guess, but I doubt it. Just because the talking heads get on a tear that doesn't mean the same sentiment is being shared in the war rooms on the big boards that matter.

kingJofNYC
04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Anything is possible, I guess, but I doubt it. Just because the talking heads get on a tear that doesn't mean the same sentiment is being shared in the war rooms on the big boards that matter.
I've doubted his first round grade from the get go, I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, it just hasn't been there when I've watched him. No denying that he's taken a hit and maybe the idea of him being a first round talent wasn't there to begin with. Maybe it's the GMs and scouts that feel that way as well, not just the talking heads.

Look at Shea McClellin, everyone is saying he's rising but maybe he was always there to begin with in the minds of scouts and front offices. Now that we're closer to the draft things are falling into place and we hear what most front office people have known for a while.

We'll see what happens in a few days, maybe this is the kick in the ass he needs. No denying that he's taken a hit and maybe the idea of him being a first round talent

gonzo1105
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I've doubted his first round grade from the get go, I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, it just hasn't been there when I've watched him. No denying that he's taken a hit and maybe the idea of him being a first round talent wasn't there to begin with. Maybe it's the GMs and scouts that feel that way as well, not just the talking heads.

Look at Shea McClellin, everyone is saying he's rising but maybe he was always there to begin with in the minds of scouts and front offices. Now that we're closer to the draft things are falling into place and we hear what most front office people have known for a while.

We'll see what happens in a few days, maybe this is the kick in the ass he needs. No denying that he's taken a hit and maybe the idea of him being a first round talent

I one hundred % agree with this. The draftniks have their opinions on who is a first rounder and front offices already have the guys they want as 1st and 2nd rounders. The only reason a player begins to rise or fall is because the draftniks eventually catch on to who is at the top and who is at the bottom. For instance Coples was probably always a late 1st round pick in the eyes of front office people but draftniks thought top 10 so now that they are figuring out that Coples isn't ranked that high and he is "falling" on front office boards. The one exception I believe to this rule is Quarterbacks.

jdbillsfan
04-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Haven't been a fan of his, but the dissenters are getting louder and louder. Mayock trashed him, Greg Cosell doesn't see a first round prospect, seems like his stock as at an all time low. Is he going to take a long fall like Carlos Dunlap, Calais Campbell and Bowers?

Dunlap and Campbell both are having pretty good careers. Physical ability can't be coached and these guys all have it.

MTBillsFan
04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Bowers fell because his knee injury past. I think he ended up playing pretty well for Tampa Bay. 1st round talent in the 2nd round.

kingJofNYC
04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Right, I'm not saying that Dunlap and Campbell are not solid NFL players, just that they were had later in the draft and this may also be the case with Coples. May not need to spend a top ten pick to get him.

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Pre-draft posturing. Somebody want Coples to drop to them so they started this hearsay.

kingJofNYC
04-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure it's hearsay, Mayock and Cossell were asked for their opinions and they gave it. Unless you think these draftniks, and these two in particular, have pull with GMs to start a slide, well I'm not sure what to say.

Do they even know who Cossell is? I mean the guy is pretty low key, wrote a good book, has a blog with NFL films and is great at breaking down film. They have zero sway.

It's not like we have anonymous NFL front office personnel men saying this stuff, it's two guys who put their name on it and gave their evaluation.

For those interested, Cossell will have his mock up tomorrow, but it's more of top 32 than a true mock.

psubills62
04-22-2012, 10:54 PM
I think a team in the late first will take a chance on him if he does fall.