PDA

View Full Version : How much do we trust Nix in the draft?

mjt328
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I've noticed that opinions on Buddy Nix have changed DRAMATICALLY over the last three months.

I don't think it's a stretch to assume that most of this is due to the re-signing of Stevie Johnson and the free agent addition of Mario Williams. Although both were spectacular moves for the franchise, how much does that really say about his drafting ability?

By most accounts, the 2010 draft was a disaster.

I don't think it can be argued that CJ Spiller - despite showing flashes of ability last year - has done very little to actually make the Buffalo Bills a better football team (which was the argument against drafting him in the first place). Assuming Fred Jackson is re-signed, Spiller will likely remain a backup through the length of his rookie contract.
Alex Carrington, Danny Batten, Arthur Moats and Torrell Troup have also made little impact and remain buried on the depth chart. Marcus Easley has been hurt his entire career. I doubt any are locks for the team this year.
Ed Wang, Levi Brown and Kyle Calloway have already been cut.
Of course, the 2011 draft appears much better after one season.

Marcel Dareus was a no-brainer pick, and he looked pretty good as a rookie. Possibly even a future Pro Bowler.
Kelvin Sheppard and Aaron Williams look like solid starters at their positions. Chris Hairston may join that group this year. I wouldn't put it past Da'Norris Searcy and Justin Rogers to start as well someday.
Only Johnny White, Chris White and Michael Jasper have yet to truly contribute. Still, it's good they are all still on our team.

The question is, what kind of draft are we going to get in 2012?
Was 2010 a fluke? Was 2011 just really good luck? Did Nix and the front office just learn from their mistakes?

Ed
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Well Nix still had Modrak and other hold overs from previous regimes in the scouting department in 2010. He's made a lot of changes and now has the staff that he wants and is comfortable with. I loved the 2011 draft and I expect to like this class too, especially since we have 10 picks. I have faith in Nix.

better days
04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Well Nix still had Modrak and other hold overs from previous regimes in the scouting department in 2010. He's made a lot of changes and now has the staff that he wants and is comfortable with. I loved the 2011 draft and I expect to like this class too, especially since we have 10 picks. I have faith in Nix.

Exactly. Nix was forced to rely on the Modrak/Jauron scouts for the 2010 draft. He cleaned house as soon as that draft ended.

I am expecting a great draft but not like last year where the Bills had the 3rd pick in the draft.

Cali512
04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
We also have Whaley this year

k-oneputt
04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
It's simple.
Look at where the players came from in the 2010 draft and then look at where they came from in the 2011 draft.
Nobody can comvince me that a player from Ark St. or South Dakota St. is going to jump into the NFL and not have a larger learning curve then a player from the SEC.
Maybe those 2010 guys will someday help the team but I'm not really counting on them to be honest.
The 2011 guys are already better.

ddaryl
04-23-2012, 01:06 PM
not worried at all, just excited and curious to see how it all shakes out

JCBills
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
It's simple.
Look at where the players came from in the 2010 draft and then look at where they came from in the 2011 draft.
Nobody can comvince me that a player from Ark St. or South Dakota St. is going to jump into the NFL and not have a larger learning curve then a player from the SEC.
Maybe those 2010 guys will someday help the team but I'm not really counting on them to be honest.
The 2011 guys are already better.

You're like PTI with Fitz.

k-oneputt
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
You're like PTI with Fitz.

truth hurts.

In fact I doubt that Moats or Batten would have even started at lb for Alabama last season.