PDA

View Full Version : Modano takes over Hatcher's role

BillsFever
07-04-2003, 12:03 AM
DALLAS -- With Derian Hatcher taking his hard-hitting style to Detroit, the Dallas Stars on Thursday named Mike Modano their new captain.

Modano is the franchise leader in every meaningful statistical category and an obvious replacement. A two-way force, he's already viewed by many as the face of the team. Now he'll have the C on his sweater, too. He's been an alternate captain for years.

"It's certainly going to be a great honor and privilege -- a lot of pressure, I guess, and expectations," said Modano, who has the most goals, assists, points, game-winning goals, short-handed goals and games played in team history. "But as a person and player, I don't think anything's going to change as far as my approach to the game and what I do."

Hatcher was the captain for nine of his 12 seasons with the Stars, having received the honor in February 1995 after Neal Broten was traded.

When Dallas won the Stanley Cup in 1999, Hatcher became the first American-born captain to hoist the trophy. His tenure as captain was by far the longest in franchise history.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0703/1576483.html