PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills very high on Mark Barron

Raptor
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
http://imgsrv.wgr550.com/image/DbGraphic/201204/2109823.jpg?1335305636

Sitting just two days before the start of the 2012 NFL Draft, mock drafts have been all over the board with what the Buffalo Bills will do with the tenth overall selection on Thursday night.

There's a wildcard in the equation that's gaining some steam, and could even be thought of as a favorite at this point.

According to a league source, the Buffalo Bills are extremely interested in Alabama safety Mark Barron, along with South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore as candidates for the tenth overall selection.

The source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, says the Bills view Barron as a "playmaker" and a "day-one starter" for their defensive scheme. There is also some interest from the Bills in Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly, but the buzz continues to surround Barron's name.

At this point in time, the tenth overall selection will likely be one of the two players from the SEC, unless a major name at a position of need were to fall to the tenth overall selection.

Keep checking back to WGR Sports Radio 550 and WGR550.com for all the latest regarding the Bills and the 2012 NFL Draft.

http://wgr550.com/Source--Bills-very-high-on-Mark-Barron/12934787

Cali512
04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
This so reminds me of when we got Spiller

baalworship
04-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I never thought I would be praying for a cornerback but I really hope Gilmore is still there when we pick. if we take a strong safety at 10 there will be a lot of upset fans. Barron would be a controversial pick. Some say he will be really good and others are saying he will just be a decent safety. Every draft report I read on this guy is different.

stuckincincy
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm glad I own Wellies.

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Boston College is in the ACC

baalworship
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I might kick everyone out of my draft party if we take a strong safety at 10.

Raptor
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM

agreed

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't disagree that Barron isn't a day 1 starter, we just have a damn good day 1 starter at that position already, and desperately need day 1 starters at other positions. Some of the most crucial positions, at that (LT, LB)

The Spaz
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't hate it but not ideal IMO. We would however piss off Dallas...lol

Raptor
04-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I never thought I would be praying for a cornerback but I really hope Gilmore is still there when we pick. if we take a strong safety at 10 there will be a lot of upset fans. Barron would be a controversial pick. Some say he will be really good and others are saying he will just be a decent safety. Every draft report I read on this guy is different.

I think he will be good

He was a 3 year starter on one of if not the best defense in college football the past three years. A defense that is pretty complex and he was often called the QB of that D the last 2 years

The guy made plays every week in the toughest conference in football every week for 3 years.

Thats not just something that happens, thats a pretty impressive resume to say the least.

Ed
04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Maybe they're just leaking this to try and generate more interest in another team trading up. I really like Wilson and I don't see the need for an upgrade, but Barron could definitely be considered the BPA and a playmaker by the Bills. Nix also spoke very highly of both Alabama and LSU's secondaries before the BCS title game.

Skooby
I wouldn't hate it but not ideal IMO. We would however piss off Dallas...lol

Wearing a Barron jersey would make the away teams think we can't spell, lol.

Ginger Vitis
So if everything is to be believed

1. Mark Barron SS
2. Ron Brooks CB
3. Kirk Cousins QB

All I have to say is..UGGGHHH

stuckincincy
04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
I might kick everyone out of my draft party if we take a strong safety at 10.

Extreme - yet understood.

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm going to hurt people if we draft him.

Night Train
04-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is a media plant to get other teams to bite ?

baalworship
04-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Praying this is a smokescreen.

mikemac2001
04-24-2012, 06:01 PM
people getting pissed for a player that will help us VS the patriots the team we will have to beat

this is out Anti Gronk/Hernandez

Slim
04-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd be okay with Barron. He would absolutely be an upgrade to our secondary from day 1.

Slim
04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
people getting pissed for a player that will help us VS the patriots the team we will have to beat

this is out Anti Gronk/Hernandez

I don't really see how people can be okay with Gilmore but not be okay with Barron. Barron helps every facet of our defense. This is a kid with a high football IQ that has the athletic/play making abilities. He was the best player on the most dominant college defense in my recent memory.

mikemac2001
04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
They Kill us

Gronk
7 109 2 29 game 1
8 108 2 22 Game 2

Hernandez
Hurt game 1 i believe
7 138 1 44

Buffalogic
04-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah what's the deal with the Barron hate or indifference? The guy is going to be a great pro. People want to bring up Wilson but he's old and overrated by home town fans. Using Wilson's name in an argument to not draft Barron is asinine.

People should be this upset if we draft a crappy tackle at 10...Not Barron.

Slim
04-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah what's the deal with the Barron hate or indifference? The guy is going to be a great pro. People want to bring up Wilson but he's old and overrated by home town fans. Using Wilson's name in an argument to not draft Barron is asinine.

People should be this upset if we draft a crappy tackle at 10...Not Barron.

I agree. I love Wilson as a person and leader and he had a few big plays for us last year. But, to say Barron wouldn't be an upgrade is insane.

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Barron would be an upgrade...but we need to upgrade WR/receiving weapons 10x more than safety

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Praying this is a smokescreen.

Amen.

Slim
04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Barron would be an upgrade...but we need to upgrade WR/receiving weapons 10x more than safety

We do have more than one draft pick you know.

ddaryl
04-24-2012, 06:58 PM

Actually we face off against some good WR's and TE's. The Bills need to beat NE 2x's and getting to Brady is one part of that scenario. Who covers Gronkowski ?

I could easily see the Bills going with Barron... He would have an impact, he's smart, does lots of things very well on the field and off.. He's big, mean and all business.

WR is the flashier pick, but I fail to see how anyone could really complain about Barron.. WR will be drafted but not at #10 IMO.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
when picking in the 1st rd, let alone a top 10 pick, you take the best player. you get bpa at need for the rest of the draft.

top 10 picks are supposed to be playmakers. barron is a playmaker and very smart

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
if we take barron then i guess scott moving to wlb is a done deal.

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Goddamnit, people...NO.

Without more premier weapons on offense we're looking at the 2003 team all over again--the only difference being that team had corners and a crap pass rush while this team has a pass rush but no corners.

YOU'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE IN TODAY'S NFL UNLESS YOU HAVE BOSS RECEIVING THREATS AND CAN PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD. How many times does it need to be said?

3 yards and a cloud of dust with a good defense gets you **** now. Getting Barron won't stop Brady from putting 30+ points on us like ALWAYS does.

mayotm
04-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I suggest that everybody spend the next two days being upset about players the Bills haven't drafted yet. That's completely logical.

Skooby
04-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I suggest that everybody spend the next two days being upset about players the Bills haven't drafted yet. That's completely logical.

The board is our oyster.

Mr. Miyagi
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
You guys speak for yourselves.

I'd LOVE to get Barron. He'll be an amazing pro.

Bangarang
04-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Goddamnit, people...NO.

Without more premier weapons on offense we're looking at the 2003 team all over again--the only difference being that team had corners and a crap pass rush while this team has a pass rush but no corners.

YOU'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE IN TODAY'S NFL UNLESS YOU HAVE BOSS RECEIVING THREATS AND CAN PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD. How many times does it need to be said?

3 yards and a cloud of dust with a good defense gets you **** now. Getting Barron won't stop Brady from putting 30+ points on us like ALWAYS does.

We do have FJax and Spiller on offense. Or did we forget about them? We can also find play making WRs in other rounds. We have 10 picks. Every year people throw a hissy fit about a potential first round pick and act like we can't upgrade other positions unless it's with a guy taken in the 1st round.

psubills62
04-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Meh, not sure I'd be that happy. But I do remember hearing a while back that the Bills weren't huge fans of Wilson at safety.

Were the Bills officially rumored to want to trade down, or was that just acehole? Because if it's true, then the obvious thing to do is to start "showing" interest in other teams' targets, like Barron.

I do believe that nuggets of truth are released during this time, especially the closer we get to the draft (Tyson Jackson at #3 overall, for instance). However, it's very difficult to differentiate the truth from the false rumors.

We'll just have to wait and see. Knowing Bills fans...people might just want to prepare themselves to be upset. Doesn't seem like there's any one player that people can rally around this year, like Dareus was last year.

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
We do have FJax and Spiller on offense. Or did we forget about them? We can also find play making WRs in other rounds. We have 10 picks. Every year people throw a hissy fit about a potential first round pick and act like we can't upgrade other positions unless it's with a guy taken in the 1st round.

I said receiving threats. I know those 2 guys are good out of the backfield, but can we please get a big, elite target who can stretch the field? Not one of these "Hey, there's WR's to be had in the later rounds!" crap. We need a boss.

The impact of Michael Floyd farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr outweighs the impact of a safety...especially one who looks like he could be the next Roy Williams (ugh), to boot.

Skooby
04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
The only reason it's Barron is because we have backfield passing threats, which is the case.

JCBills
04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Goddamnit, people...NO.

Look at NE. They cycle bodies in and out of their WR spot more than just about anyone. Gronk and Hernandez is a new wrinkle, but other than Welker, they have massive turnover when it comes to receivers.

I agree we need threats on offense though. That doesn't mean they have to come in the 1st, even though I wouldn't mind Floyd.

baalworship
04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Bill Polian on ESPN just said Barron to Buffalo makes no sense since Barron is an in the box safety and is not known for great coverage skills.

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Bill Polian on ESPN just said Barron to Buffalo makes no sense since Barron is an in the box safety and is not known for great coverage skills.

That's the thing...he's SUSPECT in coverage, yet people want to take this guy with the 10th overall when coverage is what the secondary needs.

His impact will be crap compared to Floyd. It's just a ******ed move all the way around unless we fleece the Cowboys with him in a trade.

methos4ever
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is a media plant to get other teams to bite ?
It was quite awkward tonight to hear Joe Buscaglia get indignant that a caller was questioning whether the source A) Could be trusted or B) was a direct or indirect source...

wmoz11
04-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ <s>@</s>AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) Matches what is being said around league RT <s>@</s>ProFootballTalk (https://twitter.com/#%21/ProFootballTalk): Report: Bills "extremely interested" in S Mark Barron http://wp.me/p14QSB-2zOG (http://t.co/fKngervT)

wmoz11
04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
So, we've got Polian saying he's an in-the-box safety with possibly coverage issues and McShay saying he's a great fit for Buffalo since he can cover. The fact that it's not clear-cut in favor of his coverage skills makes me want to vomit thinking we could draft him at 10.

The only way you draft a S that high is if he's Ed Reed.

BillsOverDolphins
04-24-2012, 10:04 PM
So, we've got Polian saying he's an in-the-box safety with possibly coverage issues and McShay saying he's a great fit for Buffalo since he can cover. The fact that it's not clear-cut in favor of his coverage skills makes me want to vomit thinking we could draft him at 10.

x1000

I wanna buy you a beer, sir. I hope to God your wisdom rubs off on some of these other people here.

Slim
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
He's a monster against the run, he can improve his man to man coverage. I wouldn't call it a glaring weakness though. However the stiffness that he does have in coverage, he can compensate with in size, he has prototypical safety size.

Slim
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
He also is still improving in the pass game. I think his ceiling is as high as anybody outside of the top 5 players in this draft.

Thundering Buffalo
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Nothing but smoke why the hell would Nix let this out now makes no sense he's baiting Dallas

mightysimi
04-24-2012, 10:21 PM
It would be nice to fleece someone else for a change.

Slim
04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Nothing but smoke why the hell would Nix let this out now makes no sense he's baiting Dallas

Doubt it.

Whatever Adam Schefter says is as good as gold in my eyes. He's tweeted about our interest numerous times. This smoke is very real.

psubills62
04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Polian or McShay...wonder which one I trust...

psubills62
04-24-2012, 10:25 PM
And regarding Schefter, he's usually trustworthy. Come draft day, though...his info gets a little more iffy.

I distinctly remember the Eagles trading up and selecting Brandon Graham. After the trade was made, but before the pick was in, Schefter confidently asserted that the Eagles were trading up for Earl Thomas.

And curious...how would people "around the league" know who exactly the Bills are most interested in?

baalworship
04-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Bill Parcells had a draft special tonight and he mentioned if he was coaching in today's NFL his base defense would use 3 corners. Not sure what this entails but doesn't sound like a huge call for safeties. Basically said zone coverage won't work against good QB's as they will eat you alive.

Need man coverage and defensive pressure players with top ten picks along with QB's and Left tackles. Did not mention linebackers or safeties as worth top ten picks.

B-DON
04-24-2012, 10:45 PM

And even E. Reed went 24th. I think Barron is a stud just not at 10 and definitely not BPA at 10 IMO

dannyek71
04-24-2012, 11:06 PM

That worked out oh so well.

Reminds me of Whitner.

k-oneputt
04-24-2012, 11:09 PM
He's better then whitner I know that but I'm not big on taking safties early. If they are going secondary then take one of the corners.

ZacGriffi~82
04-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Nix isn't big on smoke screens, based on past history.

kingJofNYC
04-24-2012, 11:23 PM
No one really knows what we're doing, I'm not sure they know what they're doing. Bills constantly surprise. No one really saw Spiller or Whitner.

The only guy who pegged Spiller to the Bills was NeverGiveUp over @ Twobillsdrive, seems to have insider knowledge, but he's kept quiet so far.

dannyek71
04-25-2012, 12:48 AM
No one really knows what we're doing, I'm not sure they know what they're doing. Bills constantly surprise. No one really saw Spiller or Whitner.

The only guy who pegged Spiller to the Bills was NeverGiveUp over @ Twobillsdrive, seems to have insider knowledge, but he's kept quiet so far.

Plenty of people had Spiller going to the Bills. Nix and co. telegraphed that move. I mean, why not let the NFL know what your plans are?

B-DON
04-25-2012, 03:52 AM

Mayock for sure had spiller to the bills in his mock. Just glanced at it the other day.

Night Train
04-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Mayock for sure had spiller to the bills in his mock. Just glanced at it the other day. He also had Whitner the night before.

Philagape
04-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Chris Brown has Barron in his "mock." He's the Bills' dog whistle.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Chris-Browns-2012-Mock-Draft/6340ae74-bb8c-464d-bae1-e99cbdb87aab

B-DON
04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
He also had Whitner the night before.
Yep remember that too. Mayock the last few years has pretty much nailed the top 10 minus a trade or two. Interested to see who he has us taking

Extremebillsfan247
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I think all these rumors that are rampant about the Bills and Barron are fantastic. Here is why, we aren't the only team really interested in this safety. Apparently both Dallas and Arizona want him too. The Safety class this year is extremely weak. Arizona sitting at 13, and Dallas at 14 could both end up on the phone with the Bills tomorrow for a possible trade up to get him. If this little theory of mine is right, Buffalo could come out with an extra draft pick, and still might be able to pick up a Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, or even one of the OT's they probably wouldn't have drafted at 10. Just a thought. :biggrin: See you tomorrow.

Philagape
04-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Yep remember that too. Mayock the last few years has pretty much nailed the top 10 minus a trade or two. Interested to see who he has us taking

Kuechly.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/150251

kingJofNYC
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Bills Scouts on Barron and other prospects. (http://wgr550.com/pages/12022322.php?pid=235569)

baalworship
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Ideal draft would be drop a few spots grab Cordy Glenn and then back into the first for Stephen Hill.