PDA

View Full Version : This is why mock drafts are stupid

Joebuffalowins
04-25-2012, 11:33 AM
http://buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/mocking-the-draft.html

When you read the old mocks from Kiper, especially around 2001, you will be mortified how the guy hasn't been fired yet.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 12:13 PM

When you read the old mocks from Kiper, especially around 2001, you will be mortified how the guy hasn't been fired yet.
You should be fired for not realizing its all about entertainment. People who hate mocks humor me. They claim they're dumb and a waste of time, yet they don't feel like the hours they spend ripping mocks is an even bigger waste of time.

Joebuffalowins
04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
But people go by theses mocks like these things will happen and when someone reaches for a player, it is BS, because it is based on Kiper's mocks.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
But people go by theses mocks like these things will happen and when someone reaches for a player, it is BS, because it is based on Kiper's mocks.
Myself personally would never pay for a mock draft or scouting report but for some people it's entertaining like watching tv or going to a movie. The terminator isn't real either but ppl pay to watch that. I just simply disagree with your article because everyone blows money or time on some form of entertainment. I think your taking mocks to seriously by the sound of things.

ServoBillieves
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Myself personally would never pay for a mock draft or scouting report but for some people it's entertaining like watching tv or going to a movie. The terminator isn't real either but ppl pay to watch that. I just simply disagree with your article because everyone blows money or time on some form of entertainment. I think your taking mocks to seriously by the sound of things.

PotY candidate.

Extremebillsfan247
04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Mocks do tend to get a little carried away, but are fun to read, at least for me. Anyone who takes these things too seriously that isn't making a living doing it, obviously has too much time on their hands. Most mock drafts are based on preference anyway, are heavily opinionated, and often are just mocks copied by other mocks. A week from now, not many are going to care about these mock drafts, and it will be back to business as usual around here. JMO

Bangarang
04-25-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't care who we pick. I don't care about the position they play. I don't care where you have him graded on your board after watching Youtube clips. All I care is that the player we draft with our 1st pick (and all of them for that matter) comes in, works his ass off and is an impact player that helps us win games.

At this point, I'm tired of hearing about players being reaches because their arms are 33 inches instead of 34. Or that this player can only play in the box. Or his backpedal isn't as good as somebody elses.

Can he help the Bills win games? If that answer is yes then I could not care less about anything else.

jamze132
04-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I just can't wait to see the first 2013 mocks as soon as spring practice ends! WOOHOO! LEGO!

stuckincincy
04-25-2012, 02:07 PM

C'mon...mortified? Mel was a key player in elevating the draft - and we all enjoy it, or we wouldn't be pecking away at a keyboard here.

It's always a dice roll - always will be.

Several years ago, on another site, a trusted poster related about meeting and talking with Mel while they both were waiting for a flight. He enjoyed the chat, said that Kiper was just a regular guy - happy for success that he never thought possible.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
C'mon...mortified? Mel was a key player in elevating the draft - and we all enjoy it, or we wouldn't be pecking away at a keyboard here.

It's always a dice roll - always will be.

Several years ago, on another site, a trusted poster related about meeting and talking with Mel while they both were waiting for a flight. He enjoyed the chat, said that Kiper was just a regular guy - happy for success that he never thought possible.

I'm not the biggest kiper fan but he is certainly entertaining and how can you hate a man that pretty much single handedly created a niche in the sports world that is duplicated by millions today. I just don't get the hate for kiper

DraftBoy
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I just can't wait to see the first 2013 mocks as soon as spring practice ends! WOOHOO! LEGO!

Already have one done. :dance:

Joebuffalowins
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I think what the problem is when drops happen. Maybe most of us are smart and know they are for entertainment, but when the Bills reach for a player and fans go nuts about it, it is based on stupid mock drafts. Everyone thought Jimmy Clauesen was a great pick for the Panthers because mocks had him top 10. Obviously, it was bs

DrGraves
04-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I think draft grades are stupider than mocks to be honest... but its a close race!

jamze132
04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Already have one done. :dance:
There's a shocker!

thenry20
04-26-2012, 01:54 AM
You should be fired for not realizing its all about entertainment. People who hate mocks humor me. They claim they're dumb and a waste of time, yet they don't feel like the hours they spend ripping mocks is an even bigger waste of time.

Normally, I would agree with you but the man is being paid to NOT BE WRONG! I''ve never heard Boomer or ESPN claim that his work is done for gigglez.

B-DON
04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Normally, I would agree with you but the man is being paid to NOT BE WRONG! I''ve never heard Boomer or ESPN claim that his work is done for gigglez.
WRONG!! He's being paid to entertain which he obviously does a good job of since he's still around after all these years. When has espn or boomer ever said kipers mocks are the gospel? You're just another guy who takes his mocks to seriously.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-26-2012, 09:27 AM
The issue is that most drafts reflect who the compiler WANTS the team to draft, not who the compiler thinks they WILL draft.

So, of course, in 2006, if most of the mocks had the Bills taking Ngata... but the Bills took Whitner instead... who made the better decision?