PDA

View Full Version : Lack of confidence by Hairston scares me

The Jokeman
04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
“I think it all comes to how hard are you willing to work and this year I want to take full advantage of what I am able to do here in the offseason with all of these facilities at hand,” Hairston said. “I’m trying to make the biggest jump that I possibly can and I want to be the best player that I can be. Whether that is a swing tackle or whether that’s being a solidified starter I want to be the best guy that I can be. Hopefully, I can use this offseason to become that.”
From http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Hairston-unaffected-by-possible-adds-at-tackle/ae44c7b8-22ea-4a3c-b713-00257cc2db41

Personally quotes like this scare me a little bit. As it sounds like Hairston doesn't have a whole lot of confidence, while he might gain some from experience but damn if I'm a QB and have a guy like that protecting my blindside I'm a little worried. I realize inflated ego is also a bad thing too but again when I read this it case even more doubt in my mind about Hairston as a starting LT. What say you?

ThunderGun
04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Maybe he's lacking confidence because his team has been saying for months that they need to draft somebody to replace him.

Of course I have doubts about Hairston. If his coach and GM, who deal with him every day, have so little confidence in him that they are thinking about replacing him in the 1st round, then I'll trust them in thinking that he sucks.

alnilla
04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
He was pissed last year because he couldn't go against Ware in the cowboys game. he got it

justasportsfan
04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't see the lack of confidence you are talking about from that quote.

stuckincincy
04-25-2012, 12:51 PM

Nor do I. He sounds like a nice young man simply expressing some words in answer to some questions.

The Jokeman
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
The whether aspect. To me if I want to be the starter there is no if ands or buts about it. I want to hear a guy say as the starting LT etc. Also that it's a big jump. Sure you might want to think these things but not sure I would voice them.

Goobylal
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I also didn't see a lack of confidence. What I did see is that he's not taking it for granted that he'll be the starting LT and realizes they could draft one.

alohabillsfan
04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
All in favor.... Move to SPAM

Extremebillsfan247
04-25-2012, 02:14 PM
From http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Hairston-unaffected-by-possible-adds-at-tackle/ae44c7b8-22ea-4a3c-b713-00257cc2db41

Personally quotes like this scare me a little bit. As it sounds like Hairston doesn't have a whole lot of confidence, while he might gain some from experience but damn if I'm a QB and have a guy like that protecting my blindside I'm a little worried. I realize inflated ego is also a bad thing too but again when I read this it case even more doubt in my mind about Hairston as a starting LT. What say you?

Personally, I think your over-analyzing it. He knows that there is an opportunity before him with Bell now out of the picture. Even if the Bills were to draft an OT, Hairston would still be granted a shot at competing for that LT spot. I'm pretty certain that he knows that. He want's to be ready. He seems anxious to take full advantage of this opportunity that he didn't have the benefit of last year with mini-camps or OTA's. That's the impression I get from reading what he had to say there. I also follow him on twitter. I have yet to get the sense from his tweets that he is lacking in confidence at all. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

JCBills
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
The whether aspect. To me if I want to be the starter there is no if ands or buts about it. I want to hear a guy say as the starting LT etc. Also that it's a big jump. Sure you might want to think these things but not sure I would voice them.

He's saying he wants to contribute all he can in any way he can, whether thats as a starter or a swing tackle, which is a key role. It isn't up to him to decide if he starts or if they replace him, but he's going to work as hard as he can to be the best he can.

That's my take.

Bangarang
04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
He's saying he wants to contribute all he can in any way he can, whether thats as a starter or a swing tackle, which is a key role. It isn't up to him to decide if he starts or if they replace him, but he's going to work as hard as he can to be the best he can.

That's my take.

That's what I got out of it too. Wasn't seeing a lack of confidence at all.

better days
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Personally, I think your over-analyzing it. He knows that there is an opportunity before him with Bell now out of the picture. Even if the Bills were to draft an OT, Hairston would still be granted a shot at competing for that LT spot. I'm pretty certain that he knows that. He want's to be ready. He seems anxious to take full advantage of this opportunity that he didn't have the benefit of last year with mini-camps or OTA's. That's the impression I get from reading what he had to say there. I also follow him on twitter. I have yet to get the sense from his tweets that he is lacking in confidence at all. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Hairston will not just be given a shot to start, he will be the starting LT no matter who the Bills draft.

Lefty2985
04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I have no problem with what he said

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2012, 03:02 PM

I don't see it as he doesn't have confidence. Some people are just naturally more modest that way.

Ed
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Wanting to work hard and be the best player you can be doesn't have anything to do with lacking confidence. The main point of what he's saying is that because of the lockout last year none of the rookies had the benefit of any kind of offseason program.

You're being critical of the guy for not handing himself a starting role. He knows he has to earn his role and wants to take full advantage of the offseason. If he came out and said "I'm the starter and it's my job" or whatever people would criticize him for being arrogant or overconfident.

Everything he said sounds good to me.

Buddo
04-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Seemed to me like an intelligent response to a likely typically, abrasive, question, from a reporter.
I wonder just how many clowns pass through NFL teams with the 'I'm the Man' attitude, do bugger all to justify it, and are out on their ear, after a year.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Or maybe ur just wishing that's how he is thinking with your hard on for Reiff. No where in that statement did he sound unconfident.

ServoBillieves
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I have confidence in myself and believe that I can be the best I can be.

"No, that's not enough, I don't think you're arrogant enough, you need to be a ***** and demand Madden money."