PDA

View Full Version : Mayock's Mock

Philagape
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
The only one I give a fraction of a damn about, and some of you may care a lot more, because he's shown some accuracy before.

He has Kuechly to the Bills

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/150251

B-DON
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Not my fave pick but I can live with it

Bangarang
04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
WEAKNESSES The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production in college: i.e., most of his tackles came five-to-eight yards downfield. He didn't get up into the line of scrimmage to make powerful, impactful plays much, and won't be relied upon as a pass rusher at the next level, where he'll be strictly a tackling, sideline-to-sideline backer.

Oh joy.

baalworship
04-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Pro Football Weekly:

Negatives:
Has very short arms and is late to disengage when blockers get their hands on him. Average functional take-on strength. Does not attack downhill or show a lot of knockback body power — delivers few highlight-reel, slobber-knocking, head-buckling hits and falls into a lot of production 10 yards downfield. Can be beaten to the corner (see Virginia Tech) and timed speed appears manufactured (was asked to run three times at the Combine because of big splits — clocked a 4.77-second 40-yard time on second run more indicative of true play speed.) Limited upside — has a self-made, maxed-out frame, and what you see is what you get.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/luke-kuechly-40/

Limited athlete with limited upside who makes a lot of tackles 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. This sounds familiar.

stuckincincy
04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Oh joy.

Welcome to the world of collegiate spread offense football.

Bangarang
04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
For the amount of hype he gets, I have Kuechly as my 2012 biggest bust award winner. He's getting comparisons to Urlacher for crying out loud.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Pro Football Weekly:

Negatives:
Has very short arms and is late to disengage when blockers get their hands on him. Average functional take-on strength. Does not attack downhill or show a lot of knockback body power — delivers few highlight-reel, slobber-knocking, head-buckling hits and falls into a lot of production 10 yards downfield. Can be beaten to the corner (see Virginia Tech) and timed speed appears manufactured (was asked to run three times at the Combine because of big splits — clocked a 4.77-second 40-yard time on second run more indicative of true play speed.) Limited upside — has a self-made, maxed-out frame, and what you see is what you get.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/luke-kuechly-40/

Limited athlete with limited upside who makes a lot of tackles 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. This sounds familiar.

Two can play that game.

STRENGTHS Kuechly is one of the most instinctual and technically sound linebackers to enter the draft in years, and he had the tackle production throughout his career to back it up. He is able to avoid trash at his knees and is elite when it comes to shedding blockers and keeping himself free to the ball. He is excellent working over the top of tight ends to maul and delay their release, and is capable of running with them down the field. He has the sudden burst and long speed to cover a very wide range against the run and is an extremely sure-handed tackler.

baalworship
04-25-2012, 01:47 PM
For the amount of hype he gets, I have Kuechly as my 2012 biggest bust award winner. He's getting comparisons to Urlacher for crying out loud.

I agree. Biggest bust for the hype. Should be a decent NFL player but nothing special like Poz.

Philagape
04-25-2012, 01:47 PM
As several posters point out, run defense is not as important at it was just a few years ago. And with the Bills' new line and DC, pass rushing is not a LB's responsibility.
If Kuechly is the pick, it would be more for his pass coverage.

kingJofNYC
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Run defense is certainly not important to the Bills because the teams has been trash against the run for years. Haven't been able to slow down the run since losing Fletcher.

we are
Why didn't you mention how his third 40 was in the 4.5's again?

alohabillsfan
Horrible pick! Oh joy a non special LB at 10 overall. These guys are big on entertainment and short on brains.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Horrible pick! Oh joy a non special LB at 10 overall. These guys are big on entertainment and short on brains.

Which team do you work for again? If buddy thinks he's worth tenth pick then so be it but this is far from a horrible pick

baalworship
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
As several posters point out, run defense is not as important at it was just a few years ago. And with the Bills' new line and DC, pass rushing is not a LB's responsibility.
If Kuechly is the pick, it would be more for his pass coverage.

If we are getting someone for pass coverage why don't we draft someone much better at coverage?

Pass Coverage

Cornerbacks > Safeties > Linebackers

Elite pass catchers can only be stopped by elite corners. Drafting a middle linebacker to stop elite tight ends makes no sense to me. They can't do it.

psubills62
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Not a fan of Kuechly at 10. While Mayock is usually very accurate, I'm going to disagree with him here, as I said before I am 99% confident Kuechly or a LB won't be the pick.

justasportsfan
04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh joy.

he won't need to go downfield to sack the qb. Anderson, Williams , Dareus and Mario will get the job done.

k-oneputt
04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
The Bills love thses kind of picks.

Poz -II

JCBills
04-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Why didn't you mention how his third 40 was in the 4.5's again?

That isn't the important part, what is that it appears, as they said, manufactured. You don't run on the field like you do on a 40.

baalworship
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Not a fan of Kuechly at 10. While Mayock is usually very accurate, I'm going to disagree with him here, as I said before I am 99% confident Kuechly or a LB won't be the pick.

I agree. Buddy Nix even said he values corners more than linebackers. As does Parcells, Polian and most GM's.

kingJofNYC
Just out of curiosity, who would you like at 10?

we are
Did anyone look at mayocks picks from last year? Not that accurate. He whiffed as early as Peterson to cincy.

Just calm down until the pick is actually made.

DraftBoy
04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Im fairly confident the pick will not be Kuechly. No inside sources just in looking at it, I dont think he fits outside and the Bills love Sheppard.

B-DON
04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Did anyone look at mayocks picks from last year? Not that accurate. He whiffed as early as Peterson to cincy.

Wrong he had Peterson and he can't predict trades which messes up things too

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/04/nfl-networks-mike-mayock-unveils-mock-nfl-draft-2011-nfl-draft-cam-newton-auburn/1#.T5hKbRB5mSM

baalworship
04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
If we took Kuechly I would have to be careful not to punch a hole in my wall.

DraftBoy
04-25-2012, 02:07 PM
If you want to know how accurate Mayock was just go here;
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

He finished 10th with 8 picks dead on for team and player.

we are
04-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Wrong he had Peterson and he can't predict trades which messes up things too

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/04/nfl-networks-mike-mayock-unveils-mock-nfl-draft-2011-nfl-draft-cam-newton-auburn/1#.T5hKbRB5mSM

Well thats different than the link I was looking at...still he got the first 6 right and that's about it.

TedMock
04-25-2012, 02:08 PM

I'm not into this pick either and Mayock is not always correct. He has been very good though. He hit 8 on the nose last year and put 27 in the first round. That's actually pretty good. Mocks are not evaluations, obviously. I'd like to see those from 3-5 years ago.

kingJofNYC
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Rick Gosselin was one of the best at mocks, hasn't done a thing this year, doesn't seem like he cares.

TedMock
04-25-2012, 02:10 PM

you beat me to it.

DraftBoy
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Rick Gosselin was one of the best at mocks, hasn't done a thing this year, doesn't seem like he cares.

He was assigned a column by DMN so he no longer has the NFL Draft stuff. He won't be producing a mock this year.

JCBills
04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
The Bills love thses kind of picks.

Poz -II

I wonder if people will ever get over themselves and realize just how good Poz was.

BillsOverDolphins
No.

psubills62
Just out of curiosity, who would you like at 10?
I haven't followed the draftees much this year, but I'd have no problem with Floyd or a CB. Not feeling the OT's at 10.

BillsOverDolphins
04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I wonder if people will ever get over themselves and realize just how good Poz was.

when his forearm didn't shatter every other down...

Night Train
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
If we took Kuechly I would have to be careful not to punch a hole in my wall.
If you do break your hand,let us know. :cheers:

k-oneputt
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM

LOL.

Yeah he's such a difference maker.:trance:
That's when he's not hurt.

JCBills
04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
when his forearm didn't shatter every other down...

I'd chalk broken bones up to bad luck.

Stick your arm out, we'll have two NFL size guys run at it in opposite directions, see how many times out of 10 it breaks. He was at the top of the league before snapping his arm as a rookie.

He didn't miss a game his second year, then only missed a few for another broken arm. The dude played on a broken arm. Maybe blame his mom for not making him drink his milk.

When on the field its hard to find a better Tampa 2 MLB. Even when playing on a broken arm, he tied for 1st in turnovers by LBs. Tied with P. Willis and did it in 12 games.

Philagape
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
If we are getting someone for pass coverage why don't we draft someone much better at coverage?

Pass Coverage

Cornerbacks > Safeties > Linebackers

Elite pass catchers can only be stopped by elite corners. Drafting a middle linebacker to stop elite tight ends makes no sense to me. They can't do it.

No one can stop elite TEs, that's why they're elite. Put corners on them, and they'll get swallowed on runs.
But a LB with extraordinary coverage skills and versatility can make a difference. It'd be nice to have a coverage guy who can also be part of the base defense and not be a liability against the run.
Such a LB is rare, and intermediate coverage is a major need on this team. They need to take away the safety valves. I'm thinking of the Kellers and Fasanos.

DraftBoy
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Just to note when BC went up against ND and NC State with two of the better TE's they face (Eifert and Bryan) both had productive days. Eifert two catches for 45 yards and Bryan 5 for 50.

casdhf
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Just to note when BC went up against ND and NC State with two of the better TE's they face (Eifert and Bryan) both had productive days. Eifert two catches for 45 yards and Bryan 5 for 50.

I would take that against NE.

DraftBoy
04-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I would take that against NE.

Ill take 0-1 catches for sub 20 yards personally.

Buffalogic
04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow KC with Eric Berry and Mark Barron? That would be so scary!

Cali512
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
He looks, acts, and plays just like Poz

yes theres something about how he looks that reminds me of Poz

Don't Panic
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Love Mayock, but I am becoming more and more convinced that we're taking Luke.

Philagape
04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Just an FYI, Mayock has correctly predicted the Bills' first pick in every year since 2006, except for 2007.
5-for-6.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Wow KC with Eric Berry and Mark Barron? That would be so scary!

I won't be shocked if the Bills draft Barron if he's available and they don't trade picks.

alohabillsfan
04-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Which team do you work for again? If buddy thinks he's worth tenth pick then so be it but this is far from a horrible pick

Dude you can suck buddy off all you want, this is a message board for Opinions, I post mine so u can stfu! There.. :biggrin:

alohabillsfan
04-26-2012, 04:45 AM
I'd chalk broken bones up to bad luck.

Stick your arm out, we'll have two NFL size guys run at it in opposite directions, see how many times out of 10 it breaks. He was at the top of the league before snapping his arm as a rookie.

He didn't miss a game his second year, then only missed a few for another broken arm. The dude played on a broken arm. Maybe blame his mom for not making him drink his milk.

When on the field its hard to find a better Tampa 2 MLB. Even when playing on a broken arm, he tied for 1st in turnovers by LBs. Tied with P. Willis and did it in 12 games.

A real LB would play with only one arm! He is such a puss.

OK all kidding aside, Living in the land of POZ (Jacksonville) there was plenty of hype when he arrived, and me being an avid sports radio listener has heard that enthusiasm dwindle. He is a major liability in coverage, and any offensive coordinator worth their salt exploits it!

Philagape
04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
A real LB would play with only one arm! He is such a puss.

OK all kidding aside, Living in the land of POZ (Jacksonville) there was plenty of hype when he arrived, and me being an avid sports radio listener has heard that enthusiasm dwindle. He is a major liability in coverage, and any offensive coordinator worth their salt exploits it!

Which is why Kuechly is the anti-Poz.
Any comparisons to Poz are because they're both high-motor white guys.

DraftBoy
04-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Which is why Kuechly is the anti-Poz.
Any comparisons to Poz are because they're both high-motor white guys.

Not entirely true.

Both also struggled to take on and shed blocks, both played in similar defensive systems where they were protected from most blockers by good DL play.

Where they are different is that Kuechly has more natural athletic ability, better instincts, and is a better tackler.

Saying the only comparison is that they are white, and high motor is as bad as saying they are the same player.

k-oneputt
04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
We agree on Kuechly then DB.

He is better in coverage buy I really don't see any difference between the two when attacking the los and being a run stuffer.
Definitely don't want this guy tonight or Tannehill.
Anyone else I can live with. Even Barron because I know the kid is a stud even though he plays a position I don't like drafting high and I don't think we need.

Philagape
04-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Not entirely true.

Both also struggled to take on and shed blocks, both played in similar defensive systems where they were protected from most blockers by good DL play.

Where they are different is that Kuechly has more natural athletic ability, better instincts, and is a better tackler.

Saying the only comparison is that they are white, and high motor is as bad as saying they are the same player.

Saying they are the same player is what I meant.
As you just explained, they're not the same player. So what's the most likely reason someone would say they are? (eg, "He looks, acts, and plays just like Poz" )

DraftBoy
04-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Saying they are the same player is what I meant.
As you just explained, they're not the same player. So what's the most likely reason someone would say they are? (eg, "He looks, acts, and plays just like Poz" )

Well because people see a white LB and say oh that's easy, but that also doesn't mean you can just disregard it either.

Kuechly is better than Poz but they both struggle with the same issue in regards to taking on blocks and dealing with traffic and that's a massive problem.