X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

First-round projection based solely on film

Here is a synopses of the top players based solely on film provided by Greg Cosell & Team Needs.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

ROBERT GRIFFIN III QBBAYLOR
    I know they are taking Andrew Luck, but that's not important for this exercise. My highest rated quarterback is Robert Griffin III. Projecting college quarterbacks to the NFL demands an understanding of the attributes needed to play on Sunday. I presented those last week. My conclusion: Griffin is a superior arm talent and better natural passer than Luck. This debate will rage for a long time, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    PICK NO.

ANDREW LUCK QBSTANFORD
    There are similarities between the offense Mike and Kyle Shanahan run and the Houston Texans' offense under Gary Kubiak. Andrew Luck fits very well into that scheme. He's a bigger, more physical and more talented Matt Schaub, with the same kind of short-to-intermediate passing efficiency and more athleticism to get outside the pocket on designed rollouts. Luck would be outstanding in that offense.
    PICK NO.

STEPHON GILMORE CBSOUTH CAROLINA PROJECTED TRADE TO VIKINGS
    The Vikings play in the same division with Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler. You cannot compete in the NFC North without quality corner play. For the Vikings in 2012, a corner is more important than a left tackle. Minnesota takes the best corner prospect in this draft: South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore. He has a chance to be a Charles Woodson-type player down the road: athletic, physical and competitive, playing outside in the base defense and in the slot in the sub-packages.
    PICK NO.

TRENT RICHARDSON RBALABAMA PROJECTED TRADE TO BROWNS
    The Browns select my highest-rated player. Richardson is a special runner, the best to enter the NFL since Adrian Peterson. Cleveland will not compete in the AFC North trying to outscore Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincinnati. They will not sustain offense throwing the ball. They must shorten the game, limit the number of snaps their defense is on the field, and try to win 17-14. You need a foundation back to

JANORIS JENKINS CBNORTH ALABAMA PROJECTED TRADE TO BUCCANEERS
    Remember what I said about Minnesota? It applies to the Bucs, as well. In the NFC South, they must defend Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton. If they expect to be competitive, they must cover on the perimeter. They select the best pure man-to-man cover corner in the draft, Janoris Jenkins. If you watched him at Florida in 2010 matched against A.J. Green, Julio Jones and Alshon Jeffery, you know what I mean.
    PICK NO.

FLETCHER COX DTMISSISSIPPI ST. PROJECTED TRADE TO RAMS
    In a division that features two ground-and-pound offenses (San Francisco and Seattle), the Rams go defense and select the best overall defensive linemen in the draft. Cox fits the Jeff Fisher profile: He can play both defensive tackle and defensive end, and he has the natural athleticism and body flexibility to develop into a quality pass rusher.
    PICK NO.

MORRIS CLAIBORNE CBLSU PROJECTED TRADE TO JAGUARS
    The Jaguars select the third corner in the top seven picks. Claiborne played both press and off coverage at LSU, and he also played in the slot. Claiborne was more of a mirror or shadow press man corner, much like Champ Bailey has been in his career. Claiborne was a smooth, efficient mover, but he was not as physical as Gilmore, and I don't believe he provides the same slot versatility as a blitzer and run-support defender.
    PICK NO.

RYAN TANNEHILL QBTEXAS A&M
    What I'm about to say certainly applied to Cleveland, as well, but I could not pass on such a special player in Richardson at No. 4. If you have a top-15 NFL quarterback (give or take) you can compete for division titles and by extension, championships. If you don't, it's very difficult. Think about the top 15 in the NFL right now, and you'll realize it's a fair statement. That logic leads me to Tannehill for the Dolphins. In fact, over time, I believe he has a chance to be significantly better than just top 15.

MICHAEL FLOYD WRNOTRE DAME
    The Panthers have a quarterback with a chance to be special. They have two excellent running backs, both still young. They just re-signed Steve Smith, following his best season in a number of years. They have an excellent offensive line. How about adding Floyd to the equation? The idea: Make one side of the ball outstanding, and then gradually build the defense. That was Bill Polian's approach with the Colts when they drafted Peyton Manning back in 1998.
    PICK NO.

JUSTIN BLACKMON WROKLAHOMA ST.
    The Bills select the second receiver in the top 10. Blackmon fits very well in Chan Gailey's multiple-formation passing game. Gailey runs a fast-break offense with Ryan Fitzpatrick getting the ball out quickly like a quarterback version of a point guard. Many will argue left tackle, and Matt Kalil is still available in my mock. But in Buffalo's offense, I believe a receiver like Blackmon -- with his size, alignment versatility and excellent run-after-catch ability -- is a more necessary component than a left tackle.
    PICK NO.

LUKE KUECHLY ILBBOSTON COLLEGE
    The Chiefs under Romeo Crennel are quietly building an excellent defense. Focus on linebacker: It's a very good group that features Tamba Hali and Justin Houston on the outside and Derrick Johnson inside. You add Kuechly to the mix, and you may well have the best 3-4 linebacking unit in the NFL. I'm tired of hearing about Kuechly's average athleticism. I watched game after game after game and he played fast with urgent reaction speed. He played with his eyes better than any linebacker I can remember evaluating. His so-called inability to play physically? Watch the NFL as extensively as I do, and you'll know that very few linebackers take on blocks. That's a time-worn cliché that really has little practical application.
    PICK NO.

MELVIN INGRAM DESOUTH CAROLINA PROJECTED TRADE TO SEAHAWKS
    Please Make Sense
Working...
X