PDA

View Full Version : Bill's Defense

Mike
04-27-2012, 02:00 AM
This offseason has really helped the Bills improve on D. I like the moves starting with improving the D-Line and then going outward to DBs. Here is how I see it so far:

D-Line: Now strength of the Team. I would give Mario Williams a 8/10 (10 being a HOF, 7PB Player, 5 Average) and MA a 6/10, MD 7/10, KW 7/10... They all have the potential to become a part of a Top 3 D-Line in the NFL. Overall: 6-7.5/10

LB: I like Barnett and Sheppard (sp?) is average and improving. LB overall are one of the weaknesses of this defense. However, in todays NFL this positions is not as important as it use to be. Overall: 4-5/10

CB: Gilmore & Williams could make a good duo for years to come. At this point, our secondary is average, however if our two newest CBs perform well look for this unit to be slightly above average: Overall: 5-6/10

SAF: Both Players are slightly above average. Overall 6/10

Results:
Bills D has improved on paper. Both the Rush and the coverage should improve as both units work together to stop the pass. Both units can further help each other get more sacks and turnovers. Bills D will have a weakness over the middle as the LB corps could be exploited and our SAF are not at the skill level where they can run with the top TEs in the game. The Bills run defense should much improve.

Overall: Defense might crack top 10 in league if everything falls in place

Romes
04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
I like what they're building. A good DL and pass rush can hide a lot of the other deficiencies on the D.

Don't Panic
04-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Overall: Defense might crack top 10 in league if everything falls in place

That's the thing... we NEED this defense to crack the top 10 if we're going to make the playoffs. That's why I felt we were one more difference maker away from getting there, namely Kuechly. We'll see with Gilmore though... hopefully there is enough pressure on the CB that he can step in and be a difference maker right away.

alohabillsfan
04-27-2012, 05:13 AM
There will be LB's avail tonight and tomorrow that can help this team!

jamze132
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
One of L. David or V. Curry should be available at #41 tonight.

The Jokeman
04-27-2012, 07:46 AM
That's the thing... we NEED this defense to crack the top 10 if we're going to make the playoffs. That's why I felt we were one more difference maker away from getting there, namely Kuechly. We'll see with Gilmore though... hopefully there is enough pressure on the CB that he can step in and be a difference maker right away.
Let's hope they move from rock bottom to middle of the road. I think the offense improving to top 10, considering we were 14th is more realistic. Baby steps fellas let's have some realistic expectations. Sure a big name free agent and veteran backup help as does a 1st Round CB. But let's remember we're going to a new scheme so to go from one of the league's worst D's to one of the best overnight is asking a lot.

X-Era
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
There will be LB's avail tonight and tomorrow that can help this team!I hope so. I'm not as high on our LB corp as some are.

MattyNH
04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I think the secondary will prove to be better than average with the additions up front. I think they have 3 safeties who can play and 4-5 corners. Basially I think there is quality starting talent and solid depth in the secondary.

With some pass rush you should see these guys get better. Remember the Bills had the WORST pass rush in the league last year.

Skooby
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
We can't get much worse anyways, so saying we're improved when you're near the bottom is not a stretch.

The blessing of good health on our defense will determine how this season goes from here on out (see Merriman).

Don't Panic
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
If we get David at #41, I think it justifies Gilmore at #10. Gilmore/David > Kuechly/Jenkins (best CB left) IMO, especially for what we need at the LB position.

Wait a minute... David and Gilmore? Anyone else catch that? Now I want it even more... too bad we didn't trade up for Floyd!

Philagape
04-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Bill who?

Mike
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
If we get David at #41, I think it justifies Gilmore at #10. Gilmore/David > Kuechly/Jenkins (best CB left) IMO, especially for what we need at the LB position.

From what perspective?
Gilmore is a better prospect than Jenkins because of Jenkins off the field issues. I think Jenkins is a special special talent. Reminds of Pacman in his prime...problem is he could go down the pacman road....
Kuechly is a tackling machine who was a top 10 player. David might drop to the 3rd round according to many mocks/experts. I like David a lot. I would love to get him in the 3rd, but from a talent POV Kueckly & Jenkins>Gilmore & David

Oaf
04-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing Mike. But in any case, I feel committed to further bolstering the D here and would love Lavonte David as a Jon Beason/David Harris type pick.

Meathead
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
considering they play many of the softest offenses from last year, and the fact that a real defensive guru is now in charge, i do think theres at least an outside shot it will crack the top ten. still some work to do to have the personnel, especially at lb which remains super thin, but they got what eight picks left to try to address that. plus theres still cut downs that could yield some decent backups