PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Stephon Gilmore

baalworship
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward knows about defensive back talent. He coached DeAngelo Hall when he was at Virginia Tech, and got to work with Nnamdi Asomugha in Oakland.
Their games sprang to mind when asked to describe Gilmore’s ascent — which mirrors his 4.3-second 40 times in swiftness.
“Stephon has all the same physical gifts as those two guys, those two All-Pros,” Ward said. “But what makes him so good is his mentality, and the way he goes about studying the game. You can tell he wants it because of the way he works.
“From his first day on campus, he walked into practice and wanted the best we had. In one-on-ones, he always wanted (star receiver) Alshon (Jeffery), because he wanted to push himself against the best.”

http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/04/21/3913174/stephon-gilmore-poised-to-become.html

ublinkwescore
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Initially, this pick didnt get me very excited, but then I realized I didn't know anything about the player we took. I was more disappointed because I expected us to take a tackle more than anything. I really expect us to get a taco bell to play left side at number 41.

after that I don't care who the bills pick.

Skooby
04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Sweet deal.

ublinkwescore
04-27-2012, 09:25 AM
that being said I trust buddy.

Philagape
04-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Wow. I love this kid.

Mski
04-27-2012, 09:32 AM
The more i hear about this kid, the more he reminds me of Winfield... which is not a bad thing at all

The Jokeman
04-27-2012, 09:35 AM
The more i hear about this kid, the more he reminds me of Winfield... which is not a bad thing at all
I see him more of a Clements type. As think Gilmore is more of a risk tasker and better athlete than Winfield.

baalworship
04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
This is the best pick we could have made at 10. I hated getting corners when we had no pass-rush but now we have one of the best D lines in football.

A few NFL teams had Gilmore ahead of Claiborne on their board.

Philagape
04-27-2012, 09:38 AM

A 3-inches-taller Winfield! :up:

madness
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I guess we will have to wait and "C" what kind of player he will become.

baalworship
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Very cool hearing Buddy Nix break down why Gilmore will help the D. Said teams will run multiple WR formations and then often run out of those. Gilmore is one of the best corners against the run in the draft and that's huge with how today's NFL game is played.

stuckincincy
04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Buddy doesn't like raindrops...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxJ4GfC6JA&feature=related

Cali512
04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
If anyone watches his videos, one thing that stood out is hes a trash talker on the field. He has a swaggar and he gets into the opposing teams head. I like that, it totally doesnt seem like him watching interviews, but after every tackle/breakup/int, he had something to say. I think hes a Clements clone

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM
I see him more of a Clements type. As think Gilmore is more of a risk tasker and better athlete than Winfield.

Clements is exactly who I was thinking of as well.

TigerJ
04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Gilmore seems to fit the Nix draft profile as far as intelligence and character is concerned. That's a good thing. The position switch from his high school days kind of explains the technique issues (sloppiness in his backpedal). He's just not as polished as he'd be if he'd focussed on cornerback his entire football career. He's got enough of a body of work at South Carolina not to be called a one year wonder, but he should still have some growth and development ahead of him.