PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have Goodell?

Cali512
04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Im just wondering because am i the only one whos noticed how much boring the NFL has got since he got here? Football is not a business, its a game. The only business part should be during negotiations and when talking to the coach/owner. Outside of that, let the players be players. This first round was probably the most boring thing ive watched in years. With these stupid ass suits the players have to wear so they look "proper" is rediculous! I miss the good ol days when a player would be dressed like they want, and show personality. I miss when a player could voice his reaction instead of sounding like hes reading a script! Not only that but every single event that they used to have, went away when Goodell got here. The QB challenge, that Gridiron competition, the pro bowl skills competition. Im sick of him taking the character out of the NFL! I miss TOs sketchy monday night skit with that towel girl! Jeremy Shockeys bad ass self actually being one! There are no role models anymore because no one sees these players outside of a suit and reading from a script! Every NFL player is the same with no personality, and the players that act themselfes get bashed for it. Now in days if a player actually says something that doesnt sound read from a script, or if a player walks with a chain and not in a suit, hes a thug and something the NFL doesnt want. This thread will probably be irrelevant to some, but can someone tell me if they agree?

ThunderGun
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Football is not a business, its a game.

Not anymore. Sorry.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=Cali512]Im just wondering because am i the only one whos noticed how much boring the NFL has got since he got here? Football is not a business, its a game.

It is, first and foremost, a business. It stopped being a game when the TV contracts got super sized.

It is a few lost lawuits from ex players from changing even more.

Night Train
04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
This first round was probably the most boring thing ive watched in years.

WHAT ???

With the rookie cap in place, it triggered trades like I've never seen, making it the best 1st round in years ! Plus it moved quickly.

Cali512
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Not anymore. Sorry.

Ya that was the total point of the thread. The NFL should not be a business. It shouldnt be like watching players do there job, it should be about having fun... watching athletes play a game. Players go through the motions on camera now which makes it totally irrelevant to watch an interview, bc you know there saying what everyone wants to here, and if they dont theyll get fined. Let the players be players!

ddaryl
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
It's a business 1st.. If the money doesn't flow the pro game won't be played. Try telling that ot an owner who just shelled out $500 ++++ million for their franchise.

Skills competitions invited injury to athletes who are too expensive and valuable to be injured. PLUS Would you want to jeopardize your ability to make bank for a skills competition that pays you pretty much nothing. Which is why the Pro-Bowl is about to go away as well.. This is what the players want IMO.

I could care less about roll models... I do care about sketchy character issues that can hurt a teams locker room, or cause a franchise pain.

I This first round was probably the most boring thing ive watched in years.

man this was the most exciting draft in quite a while. teams not afraid to trade up because of cost was a huge positive change in the draft

EDS
04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Ya that was the total point of the thread. The NFL should not be a business. It shouldnt be like watching players do there job, it should be about having fun... watching athletes play a game. Players go through the motions on camera now which makes it totally irrelevant to watch an interview, bc you know there saying what everyone wants to here, and if they dont theyll get fined. Let the players be players!

The NFL draft is a mde for TV event. The NFL is a business. You want passion, go watch high school football.

PTI
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Ryen Rucillo was funny, said it will be soon enough that some guy and Goodell and are making out on the stage it is such a love fest, said it looked like Poe and Goodell were so close it looked like a hot breathing contest!

stuckincincy
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM

Fine with me. As long there is never, ever again, a single penny extracted from taxpayers for the venues that players and owners can pocket profit by the millions of dollars, and that fans through their ticket purchases, parking, concessions, as well as tv $$$, pay the full freight.

Fair deal?

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
It's not Goodell's doing.

The game lost much of its spirit when players strted getting paid like CEO's.

alnilla
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Its a "job" hence there is a business.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
WHAT ???

With the rookie cap in place, it triggered trades like I've never seen, making it the best 1st round in years ! Plus it moved quickly.

And it would have moved even quicker if these players didn't have to stand on stage for photo ops and cameras didn't have to watch every. single. person. that they brought get a hug and crying. We get it, but yes, although I liked what Cali said, it is first and foremost a business.

Seeing "The Pick is IN" on the side and having to wait 10 minutes to get it was frustrating. When I saw the Bills pick coming up and that they were going to go to commercial I told my fiancee to leave the apartment for a bit so she wouldn't see me flip and scream at the TV if they did their typical "Bills pick, no one cares let's go watch some Zoom Zoom commercials.

ddaryl
04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
It's not Goodell's doing.

The game lost much of its spirit when players started getting paid like CEO's.
however you have to admit the players are the product and they deserve there share of the revenue stream.

When fans Stop paying huge money for tickets, merchandise, DriectTv packages. When they stop watching the games and creating the high advertising prices. When fans stop willingly shelling out huge PSL money for the rights to buy seaosn tickets, then that can change. But as long as that money is flowing freely then the players deserve their cut.

Night Train
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
And it would have moved even quicker if these players didn't have to stand on stage for photo ops and cameras didn't have to watch every. single. person. that they brought get a hug and crying. We get it, but yes, although I liked what Cali said, it is first and foremost a business.

Seeing "The Pick is IN" on the side and having to wait 10 minutes to get it was frustrating. When I saw the Bills pick coming up and that they were going to go to commercial I told my fiancee to leave the apartment for a bit so she wouldn't see me flip and scream at the TV if they did their typical "Bills pick, no one cares let's go watch some Zoom Zoom commercials.

Point taken..but they really dragged it out when it was 15 minutes.

The 15 minute Clock would click zero and then the card would be brought up like 2 minutes later. It was sheer purgatory.

mikemac2001
04-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Guys the clock starts for the next team after the pick is announced they could sit there and do whatever they want until the next pick

PromoTheRobot
04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Goodell hugs are awesome. It's the best part of being drafted.

PTR

YardRat
04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
And it would have moved even quicker if these players didn't have to stand on stage for photo ops and cameras didn't have to watch every. single. person. that they brought get a hug and crying.

That's part of it, but I think another is Nike having their press back stage so they could personalize every jersey.

Cali512
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Even the quickness i didnt like. I like when you finally have that 10 minutes were the annalysts talk about your team and your needs, then the pick comes in. This year they would discuss the pick the whole time, till another pick came in. I like when they talked about the previous pick for like 3-5 mins, then show the team thats on the clock, and discuss the actual team until the pick is in. Because then it gives you the time to actually get excited and to think about what the teams are picking, or should, not just hearing even more about these players that we all here so much about.

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2012, 07:05 PM
however you have to admit the players are the product and they deserve there share of the revenue stream.

When fans Stop paying huge money for tickets, merchandise, DriectTv packages. When they stop watching the games and creating the high advertising prices. When fans stop willingly shelling out huge PSL money for the rights to buy seaosn tickets, then that can change. But as long as that money is flowing freely then the players deserve their cut.

I don't disagree with that, but my point still remains. Even mediocre players act like prima donnas these days. It makes them hard to root for.

jamze132
04-27-2012, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Cali512]Im just wondering because am i the only one whos noticed how much boring the NFL has got since he got here? Football is not a business, its a game.

It is, first and foremost, a business. It stopped being a game when the TV contracts got super sized.

It is a few lost lawuits from ex players from changing even more.
Nice to see you post something about ****ing football for a change.