PDA

View Full Version : Tank Carder: Linebacker, Kicker, Punter, BMX Biker, and Cattle Wrestler

baalworship
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
NY Times:

He won a BMX world championship at 9, only to quit the sport. He nearly died a few years later when he was hospitalized for six weeks after being thrown from a moving car. The injuries were so severe that his early football days were as a kicker who would grab the kicking tee and run off the field because he was not allowed any contact....

Raised in Sweeny, Tex., a town of 3,624 about an hour-and-a-half drive southwest of Houston, Carder was named Ricky Jr. but was nicknamed Tank as a baby for his enormous size. He started riding a bicycle without training wheels when he was 26 months old.....

He did walk but was slowed by a fiberglass body brace when he was discharged from the hospital. A few weeks later, his father, Ricky Carder Sr., heard Carder crying in his bedroom and went to check on him. Tank Carder insisted nothing was wrong before saying, “I’m never going to be able to play sports again, Dad, ever.”

Carder redshirted his freshman year but made an impression on Patterson and his teammates when he tackled a 400-pound calf during a rodeo at the Texas Bowl that season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/sports/ncaafootball/04tcu.html?_r=1

Buddo
04-28-2012, 02:14 PM
This is one determined guy. Yet another one, who's success will not be defined, by a lack of hard work.
This is definitely becoming a team of talented, lunch pailers. ;)

more cowbell
04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Love this player. Happy to have him on our roster

justasportsfan
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Looks like he's this years Jasper. Feel good story.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks like he's this years Jasper. Feel good story.

ummm no, he is a 4 year starter and conf player of the year, and rose bowl mvp.

he ran a 4.5 40 and has great instincts.

he will challenge to start in his 2nd year

Tatonka
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
yeah, he is definately not a long shot, feel good story like Jasper.. not even close.. he will make the roster and im willing to bet he is a starter within 2 years.

thenry20
04-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Please do not compare him to Jasper!!! We were desperate at DT given the yards we kept giving up in the middle and he couldn't crack any backup role there.

Now that we've drafted all those OL does anybody think he'll make the team?

I'm sorry but was disappointed when the coaching staff demoted him from the DT.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2012, 12:02 AM
i just saw the rose bowl tape vs the best oline in a long time.... HOLY **** IS HE GOOD AND FAST... he looks like a bigger zach thomas!

i wouldnt be suprised at all if he starts right now inside or out...there is no way this talent is not starting.

SaviorEdwards
04-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Tank Carder..awesome name, just sounds like a player out of Friday Night Lights

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2012, 12:20 PM
My new favourite Bill.