PDA

View Full Version : Which FA QB will the Bills pick up?

Meathead
04-28-2012, 08:57 PM
buddy said (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-GM-Buddy-Nix-Recaps-the-2012-Draft/6f98654b-c06b-418b-b7bf-009f7414b15f) pretty emphatically "We’re going to get one in free agency. We’re going to bring in a quarter back and we think a good one. We were poised to draft one and he just wasn’t there."

so will the bills bring in? he seemed pretty confident it would be a significant talent added, did he have someone in mind? will it be a veteran to replace pigpen or a young qb to groom at qb3 and move brad smith out of that role? are there even any young qbs available to groom that they would feel comfortable slotting at qb2?

prior to last season i wanted them to go after vince young instead of pigpen. i figured a stable veteran team with good internal leadership under the guidance of a qb guru like gailey he stood his best chance to put his early career failure behind him and emerge. but he flopped badly in philly and had his worst season as a pro on a team that was supposed to be good, so im not sure he has anything left to give at this point that would be better than pigpen

who else is left? everybody i can think of has already been added to somebodys roster. kyle orton, jason campbell, and david garrard all would have been quality backups but they are all signed somewhere now. anybody else i can think of would be simply craptastic and not any better than pigpen, likely worse

i suppose they could go for an udfa qb but those guys are such super longshots that it hardly seems possible they would be worth anything but camp fodder. besides, theyve got smith as qb3 already so any udfa would probably have to win qb2 to stick, which is extremely unlikely. plus chans already said he doesnt like to have a qb4 because they get no practice reps. unless they are ready to move smith out of the qb3 slot, unlikely, they appear to have no place to put an udfa that would stick

so who is it gonna be?

Meathead
04-28-2012, 08:59 PM
and if you say john beck im gonna punch you right in the face

scartown
04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Aaron Corp

mrbojanglezs
04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Bills added UDFA Aaron Corp

@BoyensJC: Aaron Corp to Buffalo Bills. The BIlls got a steal right there!

6'4'' 215 runs a 4.7

Mark Miller
04-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Does anyone have access to the list of available FA QB's?

Demon
04-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Im gonna guess Vince Young. With Kafta in Philly, and them drafting Nick Foles, is all but guarantees the Eagles not to re-sign Young.

Meathead
04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
lets be realistic about aaron corp - its very unlikely he makes the team. theres no way they would put him it at qb2, just no chance at all. that means theyd have to give up on brad smith as the wc qb in order to free up the qb3 spot to carry corp and give him any development reps as the scout qb, also extremely unlikely. they might have done that had they drafted a qb in rounds 2-5 but theres only a one in a million chance theyd ever do that with a low round draftee or udfa

corp is added mostly to have another arm in training camp. they will also evaluate him to see if lightning strikes and they feel they just cant cut him, but thats a super long shot. and if they do the unlikely and add him to the ps he would just get released once they find a position player they want to keep, or later on when they need that spot to add insurance when an injury bug hits

so realistically corp is about 99% likely to not solve any qb issues on this team. if they are going to change the qb dynamic behind fitz before final cutdowns its going to have to be either a veteran fa that is still available or a very young veteran castoff that chan thinks he can ressurrect

those are the guys im asking if anybody has any ideas on

The Jokeman
04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Im gonna guess Vince Young. With Kafta in Philly, and them drafting Nick Foles, is all but guarantees the Eagles not to re-sign Young.
I think management doesn't want to disrupt with the thought that Fitz isn't our franchise QB. As bringing in a guy like Young might bring in some undo media attention. I think we're stuck with Fitz for this year but if he fails to lead us to the playoffs with the improved D we could be looking to drafting a QB sooner than later next year.

The Jokeman
04-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Bills added UDFA Aaron Corp

@BoyensJC: Aaron Corp to Buffalo Bills. The BIlls got a steal right there!

6'4'' 215 runs a 4.7
Gread size for a WR! Someone give this guy a sandwhich or two. This kid needs to gain about 10-15 pounds.

FlyingDutchman
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
I dont get Vince Young. He has a world of talent but just seems to be a mental midget. I've seen him completely take over games, and give some away. Id still like to see him come in and compete, and hopefully catch a 2nd wind to his career. He has the ability to be very good.

The Jokeman
04-28-2012, 11:18 PM
In terms of free agent QBs, here's the list

QB John Beck UFA (Cut) Washington Redskins Free Agent
QB Kyle Boller UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
QB Mark Brunell UFA New York Jets Free Agent
QB Kerry Collins UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
QB Jake Delhomme UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
QB Dennis Dixon UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
QB A.J. Feeley UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
QB Luke McCown UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
QB Donovan McNabb UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
QB Billy Volek UFA (Cut) San Diego Chargers Free Agent
QB Vince Young UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2012#ixzz1tOqa3lOY

thenry20
04-28-2012, 11:46 PM
I dont get Vince Young. He has a world of talent but just seems to be a mental midget. I've seen him completely take over games, and give some away. Id still like to see him come in and compete, and hopefully catch a 2nd wind to his career. He has the ability to be very good.

I don't get it what's the fascination with Young? I knew that if he couldn't decipher pro defensive schemes on the fly he wouldn't amount to much. Before any idiots accuse me of racism, this is true for the majority of QB's regardless of their skin color.

Just say no Buffalo.

Dozerdog
04-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I'd see if we can get Young

If not- Kerry Collins / Billy Volek sound decent as a 1 year insurance policy

ServoBillieves
04-28-2012, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it were Dennis Dixon. Call it a hunch, call it crazy... I just can see Dixon on the back of a Bills uni. There's trash in UDFA, if we can pick up one of the young hombres here in cast offs it has to be better than Thigpen. As of now it is still Fitzy - ? - Emergency Smith. If/when Fitzy goes down, there's a glaring "HELP US" position of need.

Dixon, Boller, or Volek I wouldn't be surprised with, I'd be surprised with McNabb or Delhomme, the rest I still think are better than the joke wearing the 4 card.

YardRat
04-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Barring a few others becoming available prior to the start of training camp I don't see anybody out there that would be worth bringing in or....yes, I'm going to say it...really are any better than Thigpen. Maybe 5 years ago on some of these guys, but not now.

Night Train
04-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Barring a few others becoming available prior to the start of training camp I don't see anybody out there that would be worth bringing in or....yes, I'm going to say it...really are any better than Thigpen. Maybe 5 years ago on some of these guys, but not now.

That above list of QB's was indeed depressing. Maybe Volek but it's pretty bad.

Don't Panic
04-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Young just doesn't have the head for the position. Not sure he ever will.

I would like Dixon or his Oregon buddy Darron Thomas, especially if we didn't already have Brad Smith. Might not hurt to bring one in to compete with him for the 3rd QB/Wildcat spot.

ddaryl
04-29-2012, 07:08 AM
lets be realistic about aaron corp - its very unlikely he makes the team.

I think the intention with Aaron is practice squad and a couple of years of development to see if he can.

kishoph
04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Does Nix mean an Undrafted FA though ?

SquishDaFish
04-29-2012, 07:17 AM
I think its Corp

better days
04-29-2012, 07:22 AM
I'd see if we can get Young

If not- Kerry Collins / Billy Volek sound decent as a 1 year insurance policy

Years ago, the Bills wanted to sign Volek to compete for the starting job. He rejected that to be the back up in S.D. I say the hell with him.

Meathead
04-29-2012, 07:44 AM
I think the intention with Aaron is practice squad and a couple of years of development to see if he can.
thats the thing, ps qbs dont get developed. they dont run the scout team (3rd qb duties) and they dont get any other practice reps. the only development they do is mental and whatever extra time they can beg out of the wrs on their own. thats why chan doesnt carry ps qbs except for very short term when he plans to move them to the active roster. if corp is placed on the ps he will only be there a matter of days and most likely off the team after that

ddaryl
04-29-2012, 07:48 AM
thats the thing, ps qbs dont get developed. they dont run the scout team (3rd qb duties) and they dont get any other practice reps. the only development they do is mental and whatever extra time they can beg out of the wrs on their own. thats why chan doesnt carry ps qbs except for very short term when he plans to move them to the active roster. if corp is placed on the ps he will only be there a matter of days and most likely off the team after that

We'll see.. Chan has only been here for 3 years and Levi Brown was not kept more then likely because they didn't like what they saw

YardRat
04-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Smith's role as a 'QB' may diminish to almost zero this season. If that becomes the case, we need a fourth arm to take to camp.

Meathead
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM
smith is kept at qb3 so they can take advantage of the new rule and not sit qb1/2 in order to insert him into the game as the wc qb. if you mean they will do away with the wc, yeah maybe but i doubt it since chan has said repeatedly they are going to use him more in that role since they will have a real training camp to implement it this time

one thing im not sure of is who handled the scout team duties last season. i assumed it was smith, but i dont see why they couldnt carry a qb4 to do that and just never activate him unless somebody was injured

Meathead
04-29-2012, 08:01 AM
We'll see.. Chan has only been here for 3 years and Levi Brown was not kept more then likely because they didn't like what they saw
no, chan specifically said what i just told you, he doesnt keep ps qbs because they dont get developed. the only possibility is if they take scout team duties away from smith to give to a qb4, but since chan said he wants to expand smiths wc role thats doubtful too since you want your wc qb to have as much passing practice as possible if you expect him to really throw in a game

ddaryl
04-29-2012, 08:09 AM
^^^ Never heard Chan say that... but if that's the case then no QB on the PS and Aaron is nothign but fodder.

YardRat
04-29-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't think they will do away with the wildcat either. Good point on the scout team.

Mahdi
04-29-2012, 08:42 AM
I would go with Dennis Dixon

BloFan4Life
04-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Trent Edwards has a great shot at being cut.

Yasgur's Farm
04-29-2012, 08:58 AM
#Bills may have their QB. Richmond's signal caller. RT @BoyensJC Aaron Corp to Buffalo Bills.

ddaryl
04-29-2012, 09:39 AM
#Bills may have their QB. Richmond's signal caller. RT @BoyensJC Aaron Corp to Buffalo Bills.

huge long shot to even make the practice squad...

Yasgur's Farm
04-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Yup... FA QB as promised none the less.

Demon
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Wow, i was actually right!

Beebe's Kid
05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Do we still have to say in every thread that Chan likes mobile QBs?

ddaryl
05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow, i was actually right!

Not sure if they will even sign him.. Will know more after today

but the Bills won't be handing anything to Young... They may even be more intrigued to let one of the UDFA's, who don't carry the mental baggage or ego that Young might demonstrate, and learn behind Fitz.