PDA

View Full Version : Odd Man Out at CB?

ServoBillieves
04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
So... we draft Aaron Williams last year, we draft Gilmore and Brooks this year, and Rogers showed promise last season. That's 4 and you're keeping 6 tops. If Rogers goes to the PS, that's still 3.

Then you have McKelvin, McGee, and Florence... who's the odd man out?

BillsOverDolphins
04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Hopefully McKelvin

clumping platelets
04-29-2012, 05:19 PM
McGee restructured his deal before FA started, I bet he stays

Florence has a bigger cap number than McKelvin but offer little on special teams

McKelvin could get us a cond 2013 pick

I would try and trade McKelvin to a CB needy team and do a modest restructure on Florence

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
well since mcgee cant be counted on, 4th straight year getting hurt, and hes coming off an knee injury, and hes 32, hes gone.

mckelvin was putrid last year and the staff does not like him. he has no football iq at all... he was 3rd string last year. hes gone...

florence is a decent corner who provides veteran insurance. he stays.

gilmore
williams
brooks
florence
rogers

ps-miller

psubills62
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
McGee restructured his deal before FA started, I bet he stays

Florence has a bigger cap number than McKelvin but offer little on special teams

McKelvin could get us a cond 2013 pick

I would try and trade McKelvin to a CB needy team and do a modest restructure on Florence
I was hoping to see what we could get for McKelvin as well. He's not a starter level guy, but wouldn't be terribly depth for a lot of teams.

YardRat
04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
IMO we keep Williams, Rogers, Florence, Gilmore, Brooks and McKelvin. McGee is odd man out.

ThunderGun
04-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Mcgee restructured, so I'm guessing either McFumblin or Flo.

Meathead
04-29-2012, 05:41 PM
mcgee restructured just to get a shot to compete. i also think hes out the door regardless

Skooby
04-29-2012, 05:46 PM
McGee is a goner.

YardRat
04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Rogers isn't eligible for the practice squad, btw.

Night Train
04-29-2012, 06:51 PM
McKelvin was benched for his total lack of ball skills. I doubt he'll be here for opening day. They have zero faith in him.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Rogers isn't eligible for the practice squad, btw.

LOL, he wouldnt pass waivers...

mcksuck and mcgee are gone.

BillsFever21
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
It will either be McKelvin and/or McGee. McKelvin is terrible and McGee is still solid when healthy but he's never healthy anymore. I doubt they will pay him that money just to play half the season if he is lucky.

My guess is McGee will probably be gone for sure for them reasons and possibly McKelvin if there is a younger player that they like a lot since he's in the last year of his contract and he definitely won't be re-signed since he has been horrible since he's been here. If there isn't a young player they really like they will probably keep him just because he is a veteran and used to the system but that's the only reason. They could also save a decent amount of money by cutting his salary this season too which I'm sure isn't that cheap seeing where he was drafted.

Lets just hope Gilmore isn't also a bust. Our history of drafting CB's have been almost as bad as our RB's over the past 5 seasons or so. We've spent a lot of draft picks and a few 1st-3rd round picks in the last 5 years and we still don't have the answer. If Gilmore isn't the answer then it will really set us back.

tampabay25690
04-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Let's wait and see about injuries.....
We can talk about this in late July

mightysimi
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
i might be in the minority here but i thought Florence was brutal last year. I'm sure i remember more than 1 game of multiple pass interference penalties. At least Mckelvin plays ST. I would like nothing more than neither of them to see the field

BillsFever21
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
i might be in the minority here but i thought Florence was brutal last year. I'm sure i remember more than 1 game of multiple pass interference penalties. At least Mckelvin plays ST. I would like nothing more than neither of them to see the field

Florence isn't very good either but you have to keep at least one veteran and at least he stays healthy. He's good for a pass interference call every game it seems like.

Jersey1031
04-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Asante Samuel went to ATL for a 7th rounder (and he even restructured his deal)... what would you expect to get for Leodis??

YardRat
04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Neither Florence or McKelvin have the injury history that McGee does, and all of the pass rush in the world isn't going to make a cornerback on IR better.

TigerJ
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I think McGee is most likely to stick, because he's a good corner when healthy. Florence has had good years and bad years. Last year was a bad one. He's limited athletically and with age those limitations are going to become more obvious. I almost think he should consider a move to safety to prolong his career, but Buffalo doesn't have a lot of need there. I think he's in danger. As Clumpy stated, McKelvin might have some trade value. Buffalo's coaching staff has obviously written him off IMO, so he's in danger too.

mysticsoto
04-29-2012, 09:48 PM

On the other hand, with zero pass rush last year...can we really place blame on ANYONE on the secondary?

I look forward to seeing the top 6 duke it out & earn their spots in TC.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
On the other hand, with zero pass rush last year...can we really place blame on ANYONE on the secondary?

I think they will only keep 5 cbs... gilmore, williams, florence, brooks, rogers

prince miller goes to ps

and if an injury happens they can always call reggie corner for dime duty...

ServoBillieves
04-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Let's wait and see about injuries.....
We can talk about this in late July

I should have made it more clear...

If ALL are healthy, who stays, who goes.

DrGraves
04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Mcgee is as good as retired. Florence isn't much further behind.

Oaf
04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
No way Rogers is a lock.

mightysimi
04-29-2012, 11:09 PM

Well the other 5 weren't getting flagged 3 times a game. I do think the best 5 or 6 should play though.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-30-2012, 12:14 AM
No way Rogers is a lock.

he beat out mckelvin and mcgee is coming off a major knee injury at age 32. plus this is the 4th straight year mcgee has been hurt. no way in hell do they cut a talent like rogers.

gilmore
williams

florence
brooks
rogers

ps-miller

YardRat
04-30-2012, 05:39 AM
I almost think he should consider a move to safety to prolong his career, but Buffalo doesn't have a lot of need there.

If he can play FS, that would be a great move because we really don't have a legitimate back-up for Byrd and IMO that's definitely a need.

I think they will only keep 5 cbs... gilmore, williams, florence, brooks, rogers

With the way the league is slanted toward passing, I don't think it would be too bright to only keep 5.

Extremebillsfan247
04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
So... we draft Aaron Williams last year, we draft Gilmore and Brooks this year, and Rogers showed promise last season. That's 4 and you're keeping 6 tops. If Rogers goes to the PS, that's still 3.

Then you have McKelvin, McGee, and Florence... who's the odd man out? 2 things Wannstedt would probably like to keep plenty of are defensive lineman, and defensive backs. Linebacker is probably going to take a significant hit in the training camp cut department. JMO

jamze132
04-30-2012, 06:09 AM
With the additions to our D-line, our DBs are going to look alot better, regardless of who's back there. I say we go with the youth movement. One of Mcgee or Florence should get the axe.

Mahdi
04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
I think Florence is cut before or during camp.

Rogers will not go to PS cuz he'll get picked up right away

Williams should start day one along with Gilmore

McGee, Mckelvin, Rogers, Brooks is your depth. Unless McKelvin took that benching seriously and is working hard to improve his game.

tampabay25690
04-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I should have made it more clear...

If ALL are healthy, who stays, who goes.

Who knows yet!
Let's see them battle in camp.
This is McKelvins contract year so he needs to bring his A game and I think he does.

mjt328
04-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Let's see:

- Leodis McKelvin is the most likely cut due to performance
- Terrance McGee is the most likely cut due to age
- Drayton Florence is the most likley cut due to cap room

I'm not sure how close the Bills are to pushing the cap, so unless they sign a couple more free agents before the season starts, I think Florence is safe for another year.

Nix said he thinks McKelvin will play "lights out" because he is in a contract year. I believe they will give him one more training camp/preseason to flash his potential. If they don't see anything, I doubt he makes the 53 man roster.

If the Bills aren't desperate for cap room and McKelvin looks good early, I think McGee gets cut by default. The chances he lasts the season are small at best anyway.

Yasgur's Farm
04-30-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3641809#post3641809

Scumbag College
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Florence played well in the past for the Bills but really looked awful at times last year.

McKelvin looks lost most of the time out there but every once in a while makes a play.

McGee plays well when he is in there but is injured too often. I think he got injured on a play when he was untouched on the first play of scrimmage defensively in KC in 2011.

I say 2 out of the 3 are gone come the final cuts this year.

mysticsoto
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Well the other 5 weren't getting flagged 3 times a game. I do think the best 5 or 6 should play though.

The other 5 weren't playing the opponents #1 WR...

mightysimi
04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
The other 5 weren't playing the opponents #1 WR...

Sorry I can't take that as an excuse. There is none for that many penalties. Also less we forget the odd random gamble that leaves someone wide open down field. However he did have the hero play against the Pats so he gets partial points there but I wouldn't be upset to see him go.

ThunderGun
05-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I took at look at the salaries for the 3 vets who could get cut:

McGee:
2012 - $1.35 mil
2013 - $1.75 mil

Drayton:
2012 - $4 mil
2013 - $5 mil

McFumblin:
2012 - $1.5 mil

Looks like Drayton is extremely overpaid at this point. If I had to choose one to cut, it would be him. Yes, McKelvin was a bust as a 1st round pick, but Chan didn't draft him, so he doesn't care where he was picked. His salary is low this year, and he provides great Special Teams value. McGee just restructured, so he'll probably make the roster, as long as he stays healthy all the way through camp, but I wouldn't be shocked if he gets the axe as well.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I took at look at the salaries for the 3 vets who could get cut:

McGee:
2012 - $1.35 mil
2013 - $1.75 mil

Drayton:
2012 - $4 mil
2013 - $5 mil

McFumblin:
2012 - $1.5 mil

Looks like Drayton is extremely overpaid at this point. If I had to choose one to cut, it would be him. Yes, McKelvin was a bust as a 1st round pick, but Chan didn't draft him, so he doesn't care where he was picked. His salary is low this year, and he provides great Special Teams value. McGee just restructured, so he'll probably make the roster, as long as he stays healthy all the way through camp, but I wouldn't be shocked if he gets the axe as well.

do we keep leodis over drayton because hes in his contract year and he is younger/special teams?

justasportsfan
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
didn't our cb's play decently before switching to 3-4? Maybe some of them them will play better at the 4-3 :idunno: Can anyone shed some insight to this?

ThunderGun
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
didn't our cb's play decently before switching to 3-4? Maybe some of them them will play better at the 4-3 :idunno: Can anyone shed some insight to this?

I think Drayton was pretty good in his first season here, when we ran a 4-3. He struggled big-time in the 3-4 (which, I heard, was part of the reason San Diego got rid of him in the first place).

ThunderGun
05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
do we keep leodis over drayton because hes in his contract year and he is younger/special teams?

I would.

I don't see Drayton as anything more than our #4 (unless he can return to his 2009 form). $4 mil is a lot to pay for a nickle/dime CB. Plus, McFumblin was awesome on kick returns and kickoff coverage.

zone
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I would.

I don't see Drayton as anything more than our #4 (unless he can return to his 2009 form). $4 mil is a lot to pay for a nickle/dime CB. Plus, McFumblin was awesome on kick returns and kickoff coverage.
Leodis handled his decline in playing time well and really stepped it up with the opportunities he got and his special teams play, until he was injured.

ThunderGun
05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Leodis handled his decline in playing time well and really stepped it up with the opportunities he got and his special teams play, until he was injured.

I agree. A lot of guys would have complained, but he took it like a good soldier. I think that, combined with the fact that his salary is low, and he is a special teams beast, should go a long way to secure himself a roster spot.

Plus, if we cut him, he's just going to go to New England, where he'll become this years version of Maybin. He'll probably pick off Fitz 4 times. lol.

justasportsfan
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I think Drayton was pretty good in his first season here, when we ran a 4-3. He struggled big-time in the 3-4 (which, I heard, was part of the reason San Diego got rid of him in the first place).

Same thing with Byrd. His nos. went down when we switched

YardRat
05-01-2012, 04:48 PM

It appeared they were playing decently because opponents were racking up 200+ yards rushing against them on a weekly basis. This secondary has had issues for a few seasons.