PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Corp could be sleeper

baalworship
04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Boston Herald, Michael Lev

"He’s tall enough but kind of gawky. He doesn’t have the strongest arm. He lost playing time in college to a touted golden boy.

You say Tom Brady. I say Aaron Corp.

You remember Corp, don’t you? After starring at Orange Lutheran High, he went to USC, where he won the starting quarterback job in spring 2009. A few months later, a Trojans lineman fell into Corp’s left leg, cracking his fibula. The Matt Barkley Era was born. Corp started only one game at USC before transferring."

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120426aaron_corp_could_be_sleeper_at_quarterback_in_nfl_draft/srvc=home&position=recent

Looks like some rated him pretty high. Should have a chance to make the roster.

YardRat
04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
That's an awful tall wish, but I'd take it. Just not expecting it.

DraftBoy
04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I like Corp as much as anyone (if not more) but let's slow it down just a bit.

baalworship
04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Thinking a quarterback can make the roster is a tall wish? We have Fitz and Thigpen. There should be room for another QB.

ThunderGun
04-29-2012, 07:32 PM
PTI should be here any minute to tell us that he is already better than Fitz.

ddaryl
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
it's a gamble, he never really played division 1-A college football

Just II-A. if we can store him on the practice squad for a year he may develop, but this one seems like a long shot. On top of that he is a magnet for injury.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800/football/2011stats/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND (http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800/football/2011stats/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND)

2010 stats

http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800/football/2010stats/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

2010 Knee injury short season

baalworship
04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
I would prefer we also bring in a veteran to challenge Thigpen. Weakest spot on our roster is now backup QB.

BillsOverDolphins
04-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I'd slow your roll on this guy--but at the same time anyway we can get Thigpen off this team is acceptable to me.

baalworship
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Why does everyone keep saying I am pumping this guy up? Most of what I posted was an an excerpt from an article.

I simply stated he has a good chance of making the team despite the fact we try to use Brad Smith as a 3rd QB.

YardRat
04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Thinking a quarterback can make the roster is a tall wish?

Comparing him to Tom Brady and expecting similar results is. That's on the author of the article though, not you.

ddaryl
04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Why does everyone keep saying I am pumping this guy up? Most of what I posted was an an excerpt from an article.

I simply stated he has a good chance of making the team despite the fact we try to use Brad Smith as a 3rd QB.

place the article portion in quotes using bbc code helps.. Plus the title of the thread sort of seems that way.

I was just giving an overall opinion.

However I am Aaron Corps #1 fan.. I love an under dog story

baalworship
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Comparing him to Tom Brady and expecting similar results is. That's on the author of the article though, not you.

Yeah, that wasn't me. I don't think he's Tom Brady. But the way this off-season is going wouldn't be great to a decent backup from an undrafted player?!

PTI
04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
PTI should be here any minute to tell us that he is already better than Fitz.
I mean, if a person with any intelligence is really being honest they would know it really isn't that hard to play better than Fitzpatrick did, guys like Matt Moore and Tarvarious Jackson did, Matt Hassleback did. Heck when Kevin Kolb was on the field he played better than Fitz too. Kolb likely has been replaced, just like Moore and Jackson will be. Such low standards here in Buffalo on this message board for our QB.

BillsOverDolphins
04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I mean, if a person with any intelligence is really being honest they would know it really isn't that hard to play better than Fitzpatrick did, guys like Matt Moore and Tarvarious Jackson did, Matt Hassleback did. Heck when Kevin Kolb was on the field he played better than Fitz too. Kolb likely has been replaced, just like Moore and Jackson will be. Such low standards here in Buffalo on this message board for our QB.

Not even the great BillsOverDolphins thinks Fitz is the biggest problem. Whomever we bring in at QB is going to need better weapons to throw to than Stevie and a handful of poop.

TigerJ
04-29-2012, 08:20 PM
I expect nothing from Corp in 2012. After that, who knows? He could develop, or not.

T-Long
04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I like him...prob a practice squad guy and if someone goes to steal him and the Bills feel highly of him, they will dump Thigpen and put Corp on the roster (a la Graham Harrell when we tried to get him off of GB's practice squad).

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
tom brady... oh jesus christ...lol

JCBills
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Thinking a quarterback can make the roster is a tall wish? We have Fitz and Thigpen. There should be room for another QB.

You linked to an article that starts off with a Brady comparison. Brady did more than make the roster.

TigerJ
04-29-2012, 11:47 PM

I don't think even the author is suggesting anything close to "Aaron Corp is the next Tom Brady." He's only saying that there were no high expectations of Brady coming out of college. The real point of the author is that Corp is a humble, hard working kid. He had a pretty strong season for a terrible team (Richmond). It also references a National Football Post article ranking Corp ahead of Russell Wilson whom many liked for the Bills before the draft.

If I were to guess, I would say Corp is likely to be cut outright or land on the practice squad, where he would be pretty safe. I think Buffalo might try to sign a serviceable veteran (unlike Thigpen who is apparently not serviceable) to back up Fitzpatrick. Fast fowarding to next offseason, the Bills will still be looking for a QB in the draft and Corp may have a chance at competing with that QB for a roster spot. The higher the round in which Buffalo finds that QB, the smaller the chance Corp has in any competition.

jamze132
04-30-2012, 03:38 AM
I would like to cut Thigpen today and sign Jake Delohme to be a BU.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 07:27 AM

However we also drafted a kicker for kickoffs only. How many roster spots can we give up for players that barely see the field, or in Aaron's case most likely wouldn't see the field this year.

I still say practice squad for a year.

better days
04-30-2012, 07:33 AM

Brad Smith is the 3rd QB. He is not a developmental 3rd QB, he is the EMERGENCY QB so the Bills do not have to waste that spot on a player that everyone hopes will never play in a game.

SabreEleven
04-30-2012, 07:53 AM
What does this have to do with the Bills?

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Aaron Corp

Johnny Bugmenot
04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Aaron Corp has a notorious history of injuries.

But then again, he'd fit right in here...

Extremebillsfan247
04-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Thinking a quarterback can make the roster is a tall wish? We have Fitz and Thigpen. There should be room for another QB.Not to mention the Bills still plan to bring in another QB via free agency. We all know Fitz is a lock. Corp in all likely hood is going to have to compete with 2 NFL veterans just to make the roster. That's going to be a tough thing to do as former Troy QB Levi Brown found out, and he was actually drafted by this team. JMO

ThunderGun
04-30-2012, 08:15 AM

Well, I've said about 100 times now that I'm not sold on Fitz as a long-term solution, but that we haven't really been presented with many (if any) better options. There was nobody we could have drafted (without giving up a boatload of picks to trade up) who I would have wanted on the roster as anything more than a backup. No good free agent options (Peyton wouldn't have come here). We can't replace a guy when there is nobody there to replace him. I know you want to just cut Fitz, and usher in scrub after scrub to replace him, hoping that they are better than him, but that makes no sense. Hope is not a strategy.

Fitz does have limitations (accuracy is sporadic, arm strength is ok, but could be better), but I'm not going to pretend (like some people) that every QB currently on an NFL roster is better than him. Hasselbeck was....5 years ago. He's not the same QB he was then. Kolb? Please. He had a couple of good games coming off the bench in Phily, and has been a disaster as a starter. Matt Moore and Travaris Jackson are both totally mediocre. They've both been able to look decent in spots, but their body of work as a whole is pretty sad. I can understand if you were making the argument that Fitz is on the same level as those guys (I wouldn't agree, I think he's slightly better), but to say that he is worse is just blind hatred.

PTI
04-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Well, I've said about 100 times now that I'm not sold on Fitz as a long-term solution, but that we haven't really been presented with many (if any) better options. There was nobody we could have drafted (without giving up a boatload of picks to trade up) who I would have wanted on the roster as anything more than a backup. No good free agent options (Peyton wouldn't have come here). We can't replace a guy when there is nobody there to replace him. I know you want to just cut Fitz, and usher in scrub after scrub to replace him, hoping that they are better than him, but that makes no sense. Hope is not a strategy.

Fitz does have limitations (accuracy is sporadic, arm strength is ok, but could be better), but I'm not going to pretend (like some people) that every QB currently on an NFL roster is better than him. Hasselbeck was....5 years ago. He's not the same QB he was then. Kolb? Please. He had a couple of good games coming off the bench in Phily, and has been a disaster as a starter. Matt Moore and Travaris Jackson are both totally mediocre. They've both been able to look decent in spots, but their body of work as a whole is pretty sad. I can understand if you were making the argument that Fitz is on the same level as those guys (I wouldn't agree, I think he's slightly better), but to say that he is worse is just blind hatred.

All of those guys I listed played better than Fitz last year. You are calling Kolb a disaster and he played better than Fitz last year, and has better career numbers. Hilarious.

Mindbender
04-30-2012, 09:22 AM

He's one of our UDFA.

Night Train
04-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Potential means he's never done it.

He didn't even light it up at 1-AA Richmond.

Measurables with a ton of coaching needed. Practice Squad candidate but beyond that..

PTI
04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Brad Smith is the 3rd QB. He is not a developmental 3rd QB, he is the EMERGENCY QB so the Bills do not have to waste that spot on a player that everyone hopes will never play in a game.

It is stupid to even consider Smith a QB at this point. The NFL added a roster spot last year that 3rd QB is no longer emergency and is an active roster spot. Smith is a special teams player and a WR, and a veteran at those positions, it is just plain stupid to slide him over at QB and not have a legit 3rd QB.

justasportsfan
04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
looks like he definitely should have slept in here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpSkmSoPuw&feature=related

ThunderGun
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
All of those guys I listed played better than Fitz last year. You are calling Kolb a disaster and he played better than Fitz last year, and has better career numbers. Hilarious.

Yeah, Kolb and his 9 TD's really blew Fitz out of the water! ROFL.

But to your point, all of them had less yards, TD's, lower completion %, and all but one had WAY more sacks than Fitz. Fitz had the most INT's. He was one of 3 that had one more TD than INT. Only Moore had a TD/INT ratio over 1.3%, with 1.7%.

But yeah, Fitz sucks. lol.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Stole some videos posted an BBM of Aaron for your viewing pleasure

At USC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbG-Cf-EFxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InLJT36McSw

At Richmond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NoyeqEm2NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoQrY7_xEUg

Just an interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX-qyxDJrUA