PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi says bills had the best draft

Buffalogic
04-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Watch the video here
(http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d828bfe62/Front-office-view-Draft-edition)
Nice to see the team getting kudos after a job well done.

And it would have been easy for Lombardi to say a major market team like Dallas or Philly and appease those large fan bases, so nice to see the bills getting the limelight.

jamze132
04-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Couldn't agree more. I'm excited!

thenry20
04-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Wish that vid were longer and he went into a more detailed discussion.

YardRat
04-30-2012, 05:10 AM
:beers:

Night Train
04-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Bills did well filling needs.

Remember Nix saying last week that they needed OT's, CB's & LB's the most.

They got 2 of each.

ParanoidAndroid
04-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Already says it's no longer available.

Yasgur's Farm
04-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Yup... NFLN must have censored him.

Night Train
04-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Already says it's no longer available. Might be your firewall. It just worked fine for me.

better days
04-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Might be your firewall. It just worked fine for me.

Worked fine for me as well. Closed the gap on the Pats* love that. Thinks Bradham & Carder will start next year. It looks like the Bills got 3 to 5 starters in this draft for next year-my thought.

don137
04-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Ever since Modrak and Jauron left the Bills have had good drafts.

MattyNH
04-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Yeah its good to hear the name Buffalo but these guys are just talking heads who have to have something to say.

The fact he says Cordy Glenn moves inside makes me suspect everything else he says. Does he know how much the Bills NEED OT? This guy is an OT, Nix said so himself. If the Bills drafted an interior lineman that early in the draft it would knock down the grade I would give them.

billsburgh
04-30-2012, 08:26 AM
I wish it was August already. I cant wait to see all of these new players in action.

BloFan4Life
04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Another knowledgeable football mind saying Glenn will be moved inside. Does that scares anyone else?? I mean right now he would be abused by speed rushers in the NFL, what are we going to do next season for LT??

CleveSteve
04-30-2012, 09:03 AM
No way. Cordy Glenn was one of the most athletic linemen at the Combine. He's got 36" arms, not that that matters a whole lot. People just project him to OG because he's such a tub of lard, but he's agile and quick as well. He's an OT. He might be a RT, but he's an OT.

billsburgh
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Another knowledgeable football mind saying Glenn will be moved inside. Does that scares anyone else?? I mean right now he would be abused by speed rushers in the NFL, what are we going to do next season for LT??
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about where Glenn is going to play. The Bills drafted him with intentions of him playing LT. Look at that transcript from Buddy Nix
On if they chose the best players available with the selection of Glenn today:
BN: Yes, I mean he certainly tempted us, but again, we’ve been trying to get a guy that we thought was good enough to be a starting left tackle in this league, and we thought Cordy Glenn was that guy from the start. We wanted to fix that if we could and we’ve always said that.
On if Glenn is a guard:
BN: No he’s not a guard. He started 50 games, the last 16 was left tackle. We put it out there, we tried to spread the rumor that he was a guard and hope somebody wouldn’t take him.
On if they were surprised Glenn was still there:
BN: Shocked that he was there. I guess that’s about as well as we can say. He was certainly on the list.

On what makes Glenn a left tackle:
BN: You know the guy has good feet for a guy his size. He’s got good feet. He’s got so much length though, his arms are almost 36”, 35 7/8” or something, I mean huge wingspan. You’ve got a long way to run around him. He’s got some work to do as far as, he gets top-heavy a little bit, but the guy got better and better from the first two games of the year, he just kept getting better all the way through the year. Then the Senior Bowl really capped it off for us, they played him everywhere down there. I guess that’s the only place people saw him at guard because he hadn’t played there since 2010. He was able to hold his own against the best in the Senior Bowl at left tackle convinced us.

BloFan4Life
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about where Glenn is going to play. The Bills drafted him with intentions of him playing LT. Look at that transcript from Buddy Nix Just because Buddy plans to do something many don't agree with doesn't mean it will be successful. Trent Edwards was the starting QB in 2010. Spiller was declared the starter in 2010. Troup was drafted before Gronk. Just a little nervous it isn't going to work out. Glenn is going to face a guy like Aldon Smith this season, how is that going to work out??

wmoz11
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Everyone said that Hairston was a RT only, but he faired quite well for a 5th-round rookie last year. With out offenese - getting the ball out quick - I think we'll be fine.

Gil Brandt said he has the ability to play any o-line position. Our style of offense will only help smoothen that transition, IMO.

baalworship
04-30-2012, 10:52 AM
I think we really started drafting well once Moody and other Nix guys arrived here after he cleaned out Modrak and the scouting department. 2011 draft and now this.

baalworship
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM

What speed rushers? Players like Quentin Coples, Melvin Ingram, and Courtney Upshaw were handled by Glenn playing left tackle at the Senior Bowl.

Buddy Nix uses a different formula than most people for left tackle:

Length + Foot Quickness

This is why the Bills liked Glenn because he had great length + good foot quickness.

If you don't believe it watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tylmTFEubzE

Cordy Glenn vs LSU

better days
04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
No way. Cordy Glenn was one of the most athletic linemen at the Combine. He's got 36" arms, not that that matters a whole lot. People just project him to OG because he's such a tub of lard, but he's agile and quick as well. He's an OT. He might be a RT, but he's an OT.

Well, having 36" arms helps a whole lot IMO. And for people that say well, Jake Long doesn't have long arms, the Fins just drafted his replacement- Johathan Martin according to the Sun- Sentinal.

DynaPaul
04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
From what I hear Long is pretty much gone.

bills4ver
04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
they are going to let Long leave as a FA how dumb?

ThunderGun
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
What speed rushers? Players like Quentin Coples, Melvin Ingram, and Courtney Upshaw were handled by Glenn playing left tackle at the Senior Bowl.

Buddy Nix uses a different formula than most people for left tackle:

Length + Foot Quickness

This is why the Bills liked Glenn because he had great length + good foot quickness.

If you don't believe it watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tylmTFEubzE

Cordy Glenn vs LSU

Wow, he looked like a beast in that video.

CleveSteve
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Well, having 36" arms helps a whole lot IMO. And for people that say well, Jake Long doesn't have long arms, the Fins just drafted his replacement- Johathan Martin according to the Sun- Sentinal.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/04/how-many-starters-will-be-in-the-miami-dolphins-rookie-class.html

I expect Hurricanes pass rusher Olivier Vernon, the team’s third-round pick, and Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin, Miami’s second rounder, to be the most prominent rookies. Both SHOULD earn starting spot right away as Miami’s defensive end and right tackle (Lydon Murtha won’t be a cakewalk).

Saratoga Slim
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Gil Brandt said he has the ability to play any o-line position. Our style of offense will only help smoothen that transition, IMO.

That's why I'm so happy with the pick. He's going to play at left tackle unless he fails. And if he fails at LT, he'll most likely still be a very good RT. And if not, he's going to make one helluva interior lineman.

Kind of a no lose situation. Barring catastrophe, he's going to start for us SOMEWHERE on the line for a long time.

CleveSteve
04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
they are going to let Long leave as a FA how dumb?

man, that would be a colossal mistake.

Dozerdog
04-30-2012, 01:51 PM

He was making a ton of coin as a high draft pick. For the money, they could get 2-3 players of equal talent.

Most high picks don't re-sign with their drafting team and take huge cuts. Chances are he will not get the same money somewhere else- but at least it's a fresh start.

Luisito23
04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Lombardi is a very smart man, that is unless he would of gave us an F...

Then would of been the biggest idiot on TV.

mjt328
04-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Every top tackle prospect, with the exception of Matt Kalil, had question marks as to whether they could play on the left side. Unless we moved up and snatched him, this was going to be a risk for us in drafting ANYBODY.

Riley Reiff had short arms
Jonathan Martin had bad footwork
Mike Adams and Cordy Glenn were too big and slow

The list goes on and on with Bobbie Massie, Zebrie Sanders, etc.

The critics may be right. But Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey and the rest of our offensive coaches see something they can work with in Glenn. There is reason to be optimistic.

k-oneputt
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Ever since Modrak and Jauron left the Bills have had good drafts.

All you have to do is look at the schools and where they are at that Levy, Morak, and Jauron drafted from,
And now look at where Nix and Gailey are getting their players.
Actually it's so damn simple and easy I can't believe it took 10+ years for them to fiqure it out.:trance:

stuckincincy
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Every top tackle prospect, with the exception of Matt Kalil, had question marks as to whether they could play on the left side. Unless we moved up and snatched him, this was going to be a risk for us in drafting ANYBODY.

Riley Reiff had short arms
Jonathan Martin had bad footwork
Mike Adams and Cordy Glenn were too big and slow

The list goes on and on with Bobbie Massie, Zebrie Sanders, etc.

The critics may be right. But Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey and the rest of our offensive coaches see something they can work with in Glenn. There is reason to be optimistic.

If he ends up being a powerful guard that seals up interior pressure from DTs, NGs, 3 - 4 rush ends and LBs, and breaks holes for the run game - that's great.

If he plays LT effectively - a bonus. If he ends up being a killer RT - fine with me.

I'm optimistic, too.

better days
05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/04/how-many-starters-will-be-in-the-miami-dolphins-rookie-class.html

There are many columns about Martin & Long in the Sun Sentinal. Check out Mike Berardinos column titled HOW MUCH LONGER WILL JAKE LONG BE A MIAMI DOLPHIN?

better days
05-01-2012, 12:21 AM

The COLOSSAL MISTAKE was to draft Long instead of Matt Ryan.

Reports are Miami will run a more finesse offensive line not the power line they ran in the past & Long is not a good fit for it.

He will also be a FA after the comming season.