PDA

View Full Version : Bills WR's what we've got

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
It's going to be a long long long boring stretch getting to training camp.

Our biggest discussion will probably be Whom steps it up for us at WR, who has real potential.

So I thought I'd hunt down some reports about the guys we do have...

Kamar Aiken

Biography: Two-year starter who finished with 32/486/2 as a senior and 36/610/9 as a junior.

Positives: "Well-built pass catcher who projects as an underneath possession receiver in the NFL. Uses effective hand technique to get off jams at the line of scrimmage, comes back to the ball out of breaks, makes himself an available target, and has good eye/hand coordination. Makes tough catches, easily makes the down-field, over-the-shoulder catches, and wins out in battles for the ball."

Negatives: Lacks a burst and cannot beat opponents in a foot race. Average route runner.

Analysis: Aiken has been adequately productive the past two seasons and offers the skill as well as body type to fit in as a fifth receiver in either a West Coast or timing offense.

pro day results

40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.63
3-Cone Drill: 7.19

David Clowney

POSITIVES: Developing receiver with terrific playing speed. Displays sharpness running routes, gets separation from opponents, offering the quarterback a nice target. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception in stride.

NEGATIVES: Undersized and struggles against larger defenders. Gives effort blocking, but is not effective. Marginally productive the past two seasons because of the rotational system Virginia Tech uses at wideout.

ANALYSIS: Athletically gifted, Clowney offers potential as a third receiver at the next level if he improves his consistency.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.36
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.15
3-Cone Drill: 7.00

Bills signed WR David Clowney to a reserve/future contract.

Clowney played in the ACC when Bills coach Chan Gailey was the head man at Georgia Tech. The 26-year-old speedster has 22 career catches for 341 yards.

TJ Graham

Strengths: Very, very fast – running a 10.44 100 meter dash as a high school senior. Clocked a 4.41 40-yard dash at the Combine. A true deep threat who can separate from NFL corners down the field. Does a nice job off the line with his quickness and using his hands to deceive DBs. A very dangerous return man, adding to Buffalo’s embarrassment of riches in the return game. Had a pretty productive senior year after not being used much as an underclassman.

Weaknesses: Small and thin. Will need to add strength. His hands are rather inconsistent. Doesn’t always track the ball well in the air. Has a long way to go on his route running. Is willing to go over the middle but might get killed in the NFL doing it. Will not be an effective blocker.

Graham joins Buffalo’s already-crowded WR picture, and you have to wonder how he’ll be used initially. At the very least, he should provide someone opposing safeties have to respect down the field, which should open things up underneath for the Stevie Johnsons and David Nelsons of the world.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 08
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 6.77

Marcus Easley
<section>
</section>
<section>Overview

Easley is a very raw talent who struggled on the bench for three years before bursting on the scene during his senior year at UConn. He has a rare combination of size and straight-line speed and can make acrobatic catches. The problem is Easley does not appear to trust his hands and will not only drop some catchable passes but tends to let the ball get into his body to trap it rather than reach out to pluck it. He is a bit of a strider and will need a lot of work on getting in and out of his breaks. The nice thing is that he has a good chance to see some action on special teams. He was a core special-teams performer at UConn during his first three years as he tried to earn a scholarship.

</section> <section> <article> Strengths
Easley is a tall receiver with great bulk. Long strider who possesses very good top-end speed. Has big strong hands and good body control to make difficult catches in traffic. Fierce competitor who seeks out contact on special teams and may contribute there early at the next level.

</article> <article> Weaknesses
Lacks confidence in his hands and drops too many catchable balls. Does not sink his hips enough to maintain speed in-and-out of his breaks. Runs sloppy routes and will struggle to get separation at the next level. Only saw playing time as a senior and is a bit of a one-year wonder.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.39
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.60
3-Cone Drill: 6.94
</article> </section>

Derek Hagan

POSITIVES
Hagan is one of the better route runners in this year's draft, known for excellent footwork and change of direction speed. He excels in getting open against both zone and man-to-man coverage. Hagan's three straight years of over 1,000 yards receiving, his 100-plus yards receiving yards per game over his senior and junior years show his ability to be not only a productive but a consistent wide receiver. Since becoming a regular starter his sophomore year, Hagan has missed just three starts, proving to be a durable wide receiver.

NEGATIVES
Hagan has, at times, appeared reluctant to go over the middle resulting in some questioning his toughness as a receiver. While Hagan's 4.5 40 time is not the slowest among this year's class of wide receivers, it is not the top of the line speed desired by most general managers and coaches. Hagan has also been known to drop easy catches, leading some to question his hands. A sub-par Senior Bowl has also hurt Hagan's draft status, likely lowering him from a possible late first-round pick to a projected second-round selection.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 10'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.07
3-Cone Drill:

Steve Johnson

POSITIVES: Adequately sized receiver who took his game to another level last year. Sells pass routes, quickly gets into breaks and gets separation from defenders. Adjusts to make the reception in stride, displays a sense of timing and good eye/hand coordination. Extends to pluck the ball from the air and uses his frame to shield away defenders.

NEGATIVES: Loses concentration and drops the occasional catchable pass. Possesses marginal speed and not a deep threat.

ANALYSIS:Johnson is a possession receiver who offers potential as a fourth wideout at the next level. He must improve the details of his game yet will get long looks in camp this summer.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.62
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 7.0

Donald Jones

Undrafted F4ree Agent same year as David Nelson.

A junior college transfer, Jones only had two full years of college football, and that is at little Youngstown State. He had a very impressive debut for the Penguins in 2008, grabbing 31 balls for 510 yards and 7 TDs in twelve games. He was voted All Missouri Valley Conference Newcomer of the Year. This year Jones exploded with a 77 reception, 790 yards and 6 TDs campaign, and was voted to the Conference's first Team Squad. Donald Jones is elusive, and runs smooth, albeit, simple routes and changes direction quickly. He has good leaping ability and body control, and is adept at reading coverage and shows solid hands. With good vision, Jones works hard as a blocker and is a quick learned.

However, Jones lacks lower body strength; he has below average speed (4.56) -- does not have a second gear. He will sometimes get caught from behind, because he lacks explosiveness after the catch. Jones also lacks experience against elite competition, so he must improve route running. Jones is a productive receiver at the Football Championship Subdivision level. He has some potential as a slot /possession wide out in the NFL; a project with enticing promise. Despite his lack of experience against better competition and the absence of big play ability, he would be drafted most likely late on Day two.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.46
20 Yrd Dash: 2.55
10 Yrd Dash: 1.54
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 41
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 6.90

Ruvell Martin

not much to find to cut and paste here. He played in NFL Europe for the Amsterdam Admirals 2005. he has been very well traveled in the NFL never really doing much of anything. He had real good success in NFL Europe but it has never translated to the NFL

He has played on the Greenbay Packers 2006 - 2008, St. Louis Rams 2009, Seattle Seahawks 2010, Buffalo Bills 2011.

David Nelson

not much on David Nelson. he was an undrafted free agent acquisition. He has caught more footballs for Buffalo then he did in his entire college career.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/david-nelson-1.html

40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.13
3-Cone Drill: 6.79

Naaman Roosevelt

Roosevelt does not have elite speed but he has more than enough to get behind a secondary and he has great quickness that surprises defenders. Roosevelt’s greatest assets are his route running and body control. He bursts in and out of his breaks, slashing his way through a defense. He jumps well, has a nose for the end zone and possesses very good hands to make tough catches. In the open field Roosevelt is tough to get a hand on and if you do that’s usually all you get. This makes him equally tough on special teams, where he will likely have to make his mark in the pros first. He can be a little straight-lineish but he can dance very well and once he sees daylight he’s gone. Very bright and should pick up the playbook.

His lack of size and elite speed and his level of competition will give teams pause. He probably should have declared for the 2009 draft because he’s lost QB Drew Willy and it’s tough to expect one of Willy’s replacements to fill his shoes. Roosevelt has not produced against out of conference opponents the way he has against MAC foes

Strengths: Route Running, Hands, Quickness, Intelligence, Agility, Open Field, Production

Weaknesses: Strength, Frame, Toughness, Durability, Blocking, Level of Competition

40 Yrd Dash: 4.60
20 Yrd Dash: 2.75
10 Yrd Dash: 1.63
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.16
3-Cone Drill: 6.9

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Notes of interest

We signed Clowney in January, and he is a TJ Graham clone. We have 2 speedsters that Chan and Nix have brought in. Basically they really believe we lacked that field stretching speed.

David Nelson has caught more footballs as a pro then he did his entire college career.

Steve Johnsons was supposed to be a 4th wideout at best.

X-Era
04-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I think WR is very much a significant need still going forward at this point.

We'll see if some current guy emerges.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
I think WR is very much a significant need still going forward at this point.

We'll see if some current guy emerges.

the position can always be upgraded, but without filling the glaring holes at OT and OL depth I don't think it would of mattered how we upgraded the WR position.

I don't rule out a a veteran acquisition if the a good enough option becomes available heading towards camp

justasportsfan
04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Other than Stevie. It's still a bunch of nobodies. Not that there's anything wrong with that . I prefer a bunch of nobodies who are productive.

streetkings01
04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
What that tells me is Fred and CJ need to be the focal point of the offense.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
What that tells me is Fred and CJ need to be the focal point of the offense.

I dont think that's competely necessary.... but they do need to be a focal point just because they are RB's who will get 50% of all the offensive touches wether running or out of the backfield catches....

BUT we know Nix and Chan greatly pursued speed for the WR corp with the off-season signing of Clowney and the drafting of Graham.

They also pursued, what i feel is more important to our WR production, OT upgrades, and OL depth.

Parrish could never stay healthy, so if Clowney and/or Graham come in and do well in that roll and stay healthy it could have a great affect n some of our WR's who are just starting to gain that necessary experience.

Most NFL Wr's take about 2-3 seasons to really develop...

I am not too worried about our WR situation, as I think most fans just want a splashy name to feel good about.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Easley and Graham are the great unknowns, and therefore the keys to our improvement. If Easley can finally beat the injury/illness bug and meet the expectations we had when he was drafted, and Graham can come anywhere near his 3rd round draft status, we will have speed to go with our other, mostly possession receivers.

Ed
04-30-2012, 10:14 AM
After Stevie, I think Easley and Hagan are going to end up being our most productive WR's this season.

psubills62
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
We really need both Easley and Graham to step up and shine. I'm actually a fan of Roosevelt, kid has very good hands - I like him as depth.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
After Stevie, I think Easley and Hagan are going to end up being our most productive WR's this season.

Hagan has bounced around a bunch and hasn't produced consistently anywhere's he's been... With the amount of experience he has you have to wonder if he will ever break out.

Hard to dial in on why he hasn't been able to make it happen at the next level.

He did have 13 rec for Buffalo in 4 games, although 7 were against NE. The last game of the season

Ed
04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Hagan has bounced around a bunch and hasn't produced consistently anywhere's he's been... With the amount of experience he has you have to wonder if he will ever break out.

He did have 13 rec for Buffalo in 4 games, although 7 were against NE. The last game of the season
Considering how late he joined the team last year, I was impressed with the way he played. I don't think Hagan is necessarily anything special, but I like him better than Donald Jones and I think he can be more of a playmaker than Nelson. I think he could benefit a lot from having the chance to be a part of the team through the whole offseason, but we'll see what happens. Gailey seems to do a good job of getting the most out of his receivers and Hagan just seems more talented to me than some of these other guys.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Considering how late he joined the team last year, I was impressed with the way he played. I don't think Hagan is necessarily anything special, but I like him better than Donald Jones and I think he can be more of a playmaker than Nelson. I think he could benefit a lot from having the chance to be a part of the team through the whole offseason, but we'll see what happens. Gailey seems to do a good job of getting the most out of his receivers and Hagan just seems more talented to me than some of these other guys.

I don;t think anyone was impressed with Jones' efforts last year... stone hands and a few tips that led to INT's

I expect Steve to surpass 80 catches this year, would love to see a similar output form David Nelson

I think if any of the rest of WR's can haul in close to 40 catches then we will be in good shape. Last year our #3 and #4 receivers were Spiller and Jackson, which is all good, but we need another WR who can up our production for the position as a whole.

BillsOverDolphins
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
#2-5 WR will dictate how high our ceiling is this year

YardRat
04-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Keep your fingers crossed for Easley to be healthy.

TigerJ
04-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah,I think Easley is a real key. We know Steve Johnson is going to get his catches, and David Nelson is fairly reliable in the slot, but we've got questions everywhere else. That's not to say Buffalo is weak at WR. They just don't know what they have. Donald Jones struggles getting separation. Derek Hagan did some good things, but we don't know if he can really step it up after an underwhelming first few years of his career. We've got some speed with Clowney, Easley, and now Graham but none of them have done anything on the field in the NFL, so we really don't know, and of course out of that group only Clowney has had any opportunity at all to show something. Martin, Roosevelt, and Aiken are probably never going to be more than fringe guys, so I don't expect any will have a major role on this team.

Of course, Steve Johnson will be among the 6 receivers I expect the Bills to keep. I think David Nelson will be because of his hot girlfriend - er reliability. Beyond that I really don't know who even makes the team. Graham has an advantage because he's a third round draft pick. That will usually get you a pass on your first preseason. You'd think if Easley can stay healthy he will stick. If Clowney or Jones can do something in the preseason, I think it'll be tough for the fringe guys (Martin, Roosevelt and Aiken) to stick. I liked what I saw from Hagan last season. I think he's got a chance.

Johnson, Nelson, Easley, Graham, Hagan plus one of Jones, Clowney, and Aiken are the 6 I am guessing will make the team.

BertSquirtgum
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Donald Jones is garbage.

BillsOverDolphins
04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Donald Jones is garbage.
+1.

He ranges from unspectacular to invisible.

BUFF Bills
04-30-2012, 06:13 PM
what about brad smith? is he still around?

YardRat
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM

Yes, but most consider him a QB for the depth chart.

I'm rooting for Aiken as much as I am Easley to be honest. Easley has the po' to be a real stud, but Aiken has hands of glue.

DraftBoy
04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Watch for Derek Hagan in camp. He had big time potential coming out.

ddaryl
04-30-2012, 07:51 PM

I think he gets a lot more involved. He did have some success playing WR late last season, but he didn't get as many wildcat touches as I thought,. That's that going to change this year.

I should of included him on my run down... He's listed as a QB/WR

acehole
04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
I think they will all get thier chance as roll players...and 3 4 5 wr sets....some one will rise... David Nelson will probably rise to the top...he has got moxy and size and speed and showed flashes. We spread the ball around too much to worry a great deal about #2 wr... I think we will be fine with the guys we got.

If not one more offseason should do it aye?

Beebe's Kid
04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I am in the minority here, I guess. I think this position needs addressed immediately.

I would love Easley to be the guy. I like big fast receivers...who doesn't? I think Graham may be a nice addition, but I don't think we can have too many to compete for the job going into camp. The only problem with that is, there isn't the same pressure, which leads to the tips for ints, etc.

I have said it for years, now...it would be great to have a WR that didn't drop balls they should catch, but on occasion makes a grab on a ball they shouldn't have. We don't have that in the stable right now, SJ included. Before the pitchforks come out, I like SJ, I would just like to see him propel his game to the next level.

It is difficult when we start calling a guy a #1 who ideally would be a #2. A lot of us tend to get attached to our guys, and I'm no different, but if I had to pick one area from now until the start of the season, I would do whatever it took to beef up the WR core. I was disappointed we didn't grab a few UDFAs to throw into the mix.

YardRat
04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
I am in the minority here, I guess. I think this position needs addressed immediately.

I would love Easley to be the guy. I like big fast receivers...who doesn't? I think Graham may be a nice addition, but I don't think we can have too many to compete for the job going into camp. The only problem with that is, there isn't the same pressure, which leads to the tips for ints, etc.

I have said it for years, now...it would be great to have a WR that didn't drop balls they should catch, but on occasion makes a grab on a ball they shouldn't have. We don't have that in the stable right now, SJ included. Before the pitchforks come out, I like SJ, I would just like to see him propel his game to the next level.

It is difficult when we start calling a guy a #1 who ideally would be a #2. A lot of us tend to get attached to our guys, and I'm no different, but if I had to pick one area from now until the start of the season, I would do whatever it took to beef up the WR core. I was disappointed we didn't grab a few UDFAs to throw into the mix.

They did bring in Tounkara as an UDFA, and have a couple of workouts scheduled for more guys.

If I had to pick one area that needs to be addressed before camp it would be backup QB by a mile.

The Jokeman
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Watch for Derek Hagan in camp. He had big time potential coming out.
Yeah I thought Hagan could be another Eric Moulds coming out. That said he's coming into his 7th year and not shown to be anything more then a depth WR at this point. So far you'd have to think that SJ13, Nelson and Graham are almost guaranteed a spot. Leaving us 2 spots assuming we list Brad Smith as QB3. So that leaves Hagan, Easley, Clowney, Aiken, Jones and Martin competing for two spots. Easily's probably the best talent and then you have to wonder if they go for Hagan's abilties in the passing game or Martin's ability to contribute to special teams. Though Clowney might prove to be a more proven option than Easley but Jones has the benefit ofworked under Gailey the last 2 seasons and WR are known to breakout in year 3. Aiken has a longshot to make it but might be looked as PS worthy again.

So as I see things I can say Clowney > Jones > Easley > Hagan > Martin >Aiken in terms of short term and long term success. Yet I wouldn't be shocked to see Hagan stick around because he does add some experience.

The Jokeman
04-30-2012, 09:18 PM

but would he sniffed those 7 catches if Stevie wasn't benched by Gailey?

YardRat
04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Martin is toast. Drafting Brooks just made him completely expendable.

TMu11
05-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Is willing to go over the middle but might get killed in the NFL doing it.

Greeeatttttt

ddaryl
05-01-2012, 07:26 AM

I'm all for an addition to WR, but it has to the right one.. WR's who are drafted late or UDFA's take 2- 3 years to develop, and we aren't looking for an impact 2-3 years from now.

We had other needs and higher rated players available to us in rounds #2-3

The Bills made an attempt to bring in Meecham this offseason, and they let the rest of the available WR slip by. So obviously the Bills only want a player who they are assured can make that impact.

Chan has been quoted in saying the Bills are still looking for veteran FA's so it might still happen