PDA

View Full Version : Sabres' Hodgson fighting a bum rap

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Gary Roberts defends Hodgson:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article834441.ece

Gary Roberts knows Cody Hodgson well. The retired 22-year veteran of the NHL has seen Hodgson try to train through a debilitating injury. Roberts has seen his young son take to Hodgson, and he watched the center respond by having daily lunches with the 4-year-old boy on Roberts' patio. Roberts has seen the drive and desire Hodgson has to be a successful hockey player.

With all Roberts has seen, he couldn't believe his ears.

While recapping the trade that made Hodgson a member of the Buffalo Sabres, Vancouver General Manager Mike Gillis essentially said last week he was glad to be rid of the center.

"I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years," Gillis said.

Roberts was flabbergasted.

(cont)

G Wolly
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
It was pretty evident to me how hard Hodgson wants to work to be the best player he could be here, and that was only over the course of 22 games. I respect his competitiveness and desire to be great.

It's about time WE catch a break. Instead of letting one of our "duds" go to another team where he ends up shining, maybe he's our one chance to be on the other side of that fence for once. He's a young guy with a lot of promise. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a full offseason under his belt and come back prepared to begin a new season as a Sabre.

DMBcrew36
04-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice to see a well respected guy like Gary Roberts stand up for him.

mightysimi
05-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Nice to see a well respected guy like Gary Roberts stand up for him.

I'm sure that Roberts didn't have to worry about working out two top lines of people before him. I don't think you can compare totally different environments.

DMBcrew36
05-07-2012, 05:23 AM
I'm sure that Roberts didn't have to worry about working out two top lines of people before him. I don't think you can compare totally different environments.

What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with forward depth in Vancouver. Vigneault needlessly came out and took shots at a young player, who isn't even with the organization anymore, after they were eliminated. Roberts responded to set the record straight and it's nice to see.

mightysimi
05-12-2012, 10:16 AM
What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with forward depth in Vancouver. Vigneault needlessly came out and took shots at a young player, who isn't even with the organization anymore, after they were eliminated. Roberts responded to set the record straight and it's nice to see.

What I am saying is that it was reported and I guess later confirmed by Gillis that Cody Hodgson's Agent was always *****ing about his lack of ice time. While I have no doubt that he is a good kid, how can you compare working out in the summer to the hockey season?

I mean if Cody's Agent was always *****ing to Roberts that he couldn't get the workouts in he felt he deserved, he might have a different tune.

I'm not saying that Gillis or Vigneault were right for being honest about the trade but you can't compare two totally different relationships.

PTI
05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Best way to fight a bum rap is to not play like a bum.

Night Train
05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Who cares ? That trade was so one sided in the Sabres favor.

A forward and a defenseman who contribute for a benched defenseman with zero defensive skills and a young forward who was a healthy scratch for the playoffs.

mightysimi
05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Who cares ? That trade was so one sided in the Sabres favor.

A forward and a defenseman who contribute for a benched defenseman with zero defensive skills and a young forward who was a healthy scratch for the playoffs.

after only third of a season?