PDA

View Full Version : Trading Lynch + Evans =...

Ed
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
So we ended up trading Lynch for a 4th in 2011 and a 5th in 2012, and Evans for a 4th in 2012. Now that the draft is over what do you think of the players we got? Do you like the trades?

Lynch = OT Chris Hairston and LB Tank Carder

Evans = CB Ron Brooks

Obviously we can't fairly evaluate the trades until these guys play for a few years, but as of right now how do you feel?

BillsOverDolphins
04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Like you said, only time will tell. I didn't like the Evans trade at first (like most people), but I'm psyched to have Ron Brooks. It still sucks to see Lynch tearing it up in Seattle, though...not gonna lie. Hopefully Tank and Chris reach their potential.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Better than I thought I would. I was a big Evans' fan, but he seems to be on the downside of his career and Brooks has tons of potential.

I'm not sure we did as well with Lynch, but his leaving gave Freddy a chance to shine, and CJ is coming on. Hairston and Carder are possible starters, so I think we did pretty well. Plus, we no longer have to put up with Marshawn's thuggery.

Skooby
04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Addition by subtraction.

YardRat
04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
I'll take it.

gr8slayer
04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I would have rather kept Lynch, I was sad to see him go.

Beebe's Kid
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
I liked both guys, but I like most Bills. I didn't like seeing them go, and I thought we were fleeced on the deals at the time. Nix is as good of a GM as there is in the NFL. I think he made the right moves, and we might end up grateful for his tenure for a long time.

Joe Fo Sho
04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
The Lynch trade was awful, I hated it. I think we wasted a 1st round pick on Spiller when we should've kept Lynch. We could've had Pierre Paul instead with our 1st round pick. The real question for that trade is this..Who would you rather have?

Lynch + Pierre Paul (or other 1st rounder)

or

CJ Spiller, Chris Hairston and Tank Carder.

ublinkwescore
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
? How was it possible tohave both lynch and pierre-paul?

Bangarang
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
The Lynch trade was awful, I hated it. I think we wasted a 1st round pick on Spiller when we should've kept Lynch. We could've had Pierre Paul instead with our 1st round pick. The real question for that trade is this..Who would you rather have?

Lynch + Pierre Paul (or other 1st rounder)

or

CJ Spiller, Chris Hairston and Tank Carder.

JPP was considered a very raw prospect. We were also trying to transition to a 3-4 defense at the time. The whole we could have had JPP only sounds good because of what he has become. Much like any other player that made it in the league that was taken after our pick.

Joe Fo Sho
04-30-2012, 08:19 PM
JPP was considered a very raw prospect. We were also trying to transition to a 3-4 defense at the time. The whole we could have had JPP only sounds good because of what he has become. Much like any other player that made it in the league that was taken after our pick.

Right, I just used that as an example. In my mind, it's still a question of whether I'd be happier with Lynch and a 1st round pick, or Spiller and a 4th and 5th round pick. I'd take Lynch.

Joe Fo Sho
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM

I'm assuming the writing was on the wall when we drafted Spiller. Nix knew he was going to trade Lynch.

So instead of Spiller, I think we should've kept Lynch and used our 1st rounder on a position of need, whether it be Pierre Paul or otherwise.

The Jokeman
04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Easy instead of drafting Spiller we draft Pierre-Paul and because we don't have Spiller we keep Lynch.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Easy instead of drafting Spiller we draft Pierre-Paul and because we don't have Spiller we keep Lynch.

thats totally unrealistic being that jpp was a total project who had little game tape and little produciton. he was a combine star who flashed... ie fear of another maybin...

with our recent history, nix had to make sure the pick counted, so he took a cant miss prospect in spiller...

i cant blame him..

Extremebillsfan247
05-01-2012, 05:21 AM
So we ended up trading Lynch for a 4th in 2010 and a 5th in 2011, and Evans for a 4th in 2011. Now that the draft is over what do you think of the players we got? Do you like the trades?

Evans = CB Ron Brooks

Obviously we can't fairly evaluate the trades until these guys play for a few years, but as of right now how do you feel?
This line says it all "Obviously we can't fairly evaluate the trades until these guys play for a few years".

Historically 4th and 5th rounders don't do well on this team. Only a small handful even make the team. In 2003 there was Terrence McGee, 111th pick overall, who remains 1 of only 2 Bills from that entire draft class still on the team. The other is Kelsay who went 46th overall in the 2nd. Kyle Williams 5th rounder 134th pick overall, is the last remaining player of that Bills draft class. Those are the exceptions. Reggie Corner, drafted in the 4th, 114th overall in 2008, might not make the Bills roster in 2012. In 2010 the Bills drafted Marcus Easley the 107th pick overall is on his last legs here. If he doesn't produce this year, he is done as a Bill just 2 seasons after being drafted.

The list of Bills players who were drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds since 2003 that are no longer a part of the team are as follows.

Sam Aiken
Ben Sobieski
Tim Euhus
Duke Preston
Eric King
Ko Simpson
Brad Butler
Dwayne Wright
Derek Fine
Alvin Bowen
Shawn Nelson
Nic Harris
Ed Wang

If I missed anybody feel free to add to the list.

Anyway, I thought those stats were interesting, so I dropped them here to add a little bit of realism to the quote for those who may doubt it's legitimacy. :biggrin:

chernobylwraiths
05-01-2012, 05:54 AM
So we ended up trading Lynch for a 4th in 2010 and a 5th in 2011, and Evans for a 4th in 2011. Now that the draft is over what do you think of the players we got? Do you like the trades?

Evans = CB Ron Brooks

I think you have to add a year to those trades since two of them were drafted this year.

I like the trade with Seattle. Lynch had about worn out his welcome in Buffalo with his being suspended and the hit and run as well as other minor "infractions" whether attributed to him rightly or wrongly. It's disingenuine to go back and say it was a bad trade because he has somewhat blossomed in Seattle since people were starting to hate him in Buffalo. I would be willing to bet his career doesn't last more than 3 years longer considering his running style (which I like) isn't conducive to a lengthy career.

Turf
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Lynch was a connundrum to me. He has those brilliant "beast" flashes once in a blue moon, but he could never get the tough yards or reliably find the holes every down. I'm not sure we're worse off without him.

ThunderGun
05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
thats totally unrealistic being that jpp was a total project who had little game tape and little produciton. he was a combine star who flashed... ie fear of another maybin...

with our recent history, nix had to make sure the pick counted, so he took a cant miss prospect in spiller...

i cant blame him..

Even if we didn't take JPP, there were lots of other guys who would have filled holes at that spot:

JPP
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas (the guy I wanted)
Earl Thomas

I'd rather have Freddy, Lynch and any one of those 4, than Freddy, Spiller a backup OT (Hairston) and a backup CB.

Ed
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I personally like the trades. I hated the Evans trade at the time, but he was one of my favorite players so it was more of an emotional thing. It was a tough business decision, but I think they made the right call. I'm sure Baltimore would have loved to have that pick back. I'm also really intrigued by Brooks.

I figured there would be people that still don't like the Lynch trade, but the reality is even if we hadn't traded him he still wouldn't be on the team this year. Lynch would have been a free agent this offseason and would have left on his own anyway and the Bills probably wouldn't have tried to stop him. Fred Jackson proved to be the better overall player while Lynch was here and he would have continued to get more carries than him last season too. So to me, the production we would have gotten from Lynch over the last 1 1/2 years doesn't really compare to the value of having Hairston and Carder on the team going forward.

Yasgur's Farm
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Let's examine the last 2 seasons for each player

ML - 487 Carries - 1,941 Yards - 4.0 Y/C - .036 TD's/C - .21 FD's/C
CJ - 181 Carries - 844 Yards - 4.7 Y/C - .022 TD's/C -.20 FD's/C

ML - 50 Catches - 357 Yards - 7.1 Y/C - .020 TD's/C - .26 FD's/C
CJ - 63 Catches - 426 Yards - 6.8 Y/C - .048 TD's/C - .38 FD's/C

ML - 537 Touches - 2,298 Yards - 4.3 Y/T - .035 TD's/T - .21 FD's/T
CJ - 244 Touches - 1,270 Yards - 5.2 Y/T - .029 TD's/T - .25 FD's/T

My conclusion... Even though ML has way more than doubled CJ's carries and touches, CJ exceeds ML in almost every average.

I'd rather have CJ + 4th + 5th + his upside + FJ's emergence over ML + 1st.

stuckincincy
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Let's examine the last 2 seasons for each player

ML - 487 Carries - 1,941 Yards - 4.0 Y/C - .036 TD's/C - .21 FD's/C
CJ - 181 Carries - 8544 Yards - 4.7 Y/C - .022 TD's/C -.20 FD's/C

ML - 50 Catches - 357 Yards - 7.1 Y/C - .020 TD's/C - .26 FD's/C
CJ - 63 Catches - 426 Yards - 6.8 Y/C - .048 TD's/C - .38 FD's/C

ML - 537 Touches - 2,298 Yards - 4.3 Y/T - .035 TD's/T - .21 FD's/T
CJ - 244 Touches - 1,270 Yards - 5.2 Y/T - .029 TD's/T - .25 FD's/T

My conclusion... Even though ML has way more than doubled CJ's carries and touches, CJ exceeds ML in almost every average.

I'd rather have CJ + 4th + 5th + his upside + FJ's emergence over ML + 1st.

Edit? :whoosh:

Yasgur's Farm
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
LOL... Done

Oaf
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Like you said, only time will tell. I didn't like the Evans trade at first (like most people), but I'm psyched to have Ron Brooks. It still sucks to see Lynch tearing it up in Seattle, though...not gonna lie. Hopefully Tank and Chris reach their potential.

If you ask me, it sucks to see Willis McGahee still producing well. Think of all the first-round picks we could have saved. But Oaf, Willis made fun of Buffalo! He's a professional and gets the job done. Who cares if he doesn't like our restaurants?