PDA

View Full Version : A case for 11 DB's for 2012

Yasgur's Farm
04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Every season is different... There is no magic formula year in and year out as to how many players we can keep on the roster for each position... Or category of position. That said, let's have a look at the CB/DB category for the 2012 Bills.

1) McKelvin can do it all until he has to turn his back to the QB... At that point he strongly resembles me out there (I'm 54 BTW). That said, I think he makes an excellent nickle/dime guy... Or even free safety. In both cases, everything is in front of him where he can see the whole field. For this reason, I want to see him finish the last year of his contract as a Bill. But I don't want him on the edge.

2) McGee is still quality when healthy. If he's used wisely (split time with Williams), he'll be an asset to the team on the field as well as in the locker room mentoring our young DB's. I want to keep his leadership and high skill level.

3) Florence may very well be declining rapidly. This coupled with his tendency to take penalties I believe makes him the most vulnerable. But, like McGee, I believe there's some value in his leadership and skill level. I wouldn't mind seeing him split time with Gilmore... With Gilmore's game minutes increasing as the season progresses. Florence can then add his talents to nickle/dime as well as strong safety.

4) Rogers and Brooks are 2 promising kids that we need to hang onto and groom and see what we have in them. They'll both get spot duty and provide depth for our secondary.

It obviously looks like I'm nuts to want to keep 7 CB's. But what I'm really advocating is keeping 11 DB's total on the 53. We have 4 older guys in Florence, McGee, Wilson and Scott that bring enough to the table to really benefit with leadership and skill. We have 1 talented dummy in McKelvin that can help us this year before he moves on (and possibly yields a compensatory pick in 2013). And we have 6 young guys in Byrd, Searcy, Williams, Rogers, Gilmore and Brooks that need to mentored to some degree or another.

I believe this is best for not only the 2012 Bills (they can compete for playoffs)... But also for the 2013 and beyond Bills who will be forced to do without some of this leadership.

But how can we possibly make 11 guys fit in the 53? At the risk of this becoming a "My Final 53" thread...

11 DB's
5 LB's
4 DE's
4 DT's
D=24

3 QB's
7 WR's
3 RB's
9 OL's
2 TE's
1 FB
O=25

2 K's (Potter included)
1 P
1 LS
ST's=4

Total=53

And finally... There are always injuries that occur before and during the season which change the roster dynamics on a weekly basis.

For the record... I've stated my case to the best of my ability. I have nothing more to add... So, I will not be arguing nor defending this. It's simply here for discussion.

YardRat
04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I would hope we'd be able to keep 11...it really doesn't stretch the roster limitation at all, even with 2 kickers.

I do think we'll still field 6 LBers though, and only 6 WR, not including Smith.

TigerJ
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
I believe there is a one year delay on compensatory picks, and of course it depends on the Bills losing more in free agency than gaining. So, if McKelvin leaves via free agency next offseason and the Bills lose more than they gain in free agency that same year, then they will get a comp pick in 2014.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if Bryan Scott is moved to linebacker in Wanny's defense. I know conventional wisdom is that you keep 4 safeties on the roster, two starters and two backups, and 5 or 6 CBs. Your CBs are generally considered to be the better athletes, so you want more of them. In a pinch a CB is more likely to be able to transition to safety than the other way around.

I think the Bills will carry Smith as a QB. The question is what can they do about a true backup. Are we stuck with Thigpen, or will they try to get something better? Aaron Corp is likely to be no more than a PS player in 2012. I expect 6 WRs, 6 LBs, 9 defensive linemen, and 3 tight ends.

JCBills
04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
I think they usually carry 7 OL active.

k-oneputt
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I would definitely take a look at McKelvin at fs.
He is very athletic and can run if he can keep everything in front of him and play centerfield and react instead of turning and running........maybe. Worth a look.

I want to know who the hell scouted this kid ?

YardRat
04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
I would definitely take a look at McKelvin at fs.
He is very athletic and can run if he can keep everything in front of him and play centerfield and react instead of turning and running........maybe. Worth a look.

I want to know who the hell scouted this kid ?

I like Tiger's idea of Florence switching to FS (back up Byrd and be available for corner if necessary) and giving McKelvin one more shot at showing what he can bring better.